- How To Have Twins
- General Chances Of Having Twins
- Factors That Determine The Chances of Having Twins
- Natural Ways To Conceive Twins
- Best Sex Positions To Conceive Twins
- Fertility Treatments To Have Twins
- Fertility Supplements To Get Pregnant With Twins
- Fertility Drugs To Conceive Twins
- Fertility Herbs For Twins
Having twins has its advantages. Of course, there is no denying the fact that having two babies together is a lot more burdensome than having one at a time. But imagine how you can avoid going through the pain of pregnancy one more time. If your thinking is along these lines and want to have a double bundle of joy, your expectations are fair enough. Did you know that you can actually make things work to get pregnant with twins? Yes, it sounds incredible, but there are certain ways that may be of help to you.
Momjunction lists out the various natural ways, fertility treatments and more options for twin conception. However, let us warn you that they are not fool-proof.
Table of contents
- 1 How Are Twins Conceived?
- 2 General Odds Of Having Twins:
- 3 Factors That Determine The Chances of Having Twins:
- 4 Best Ways To Get Pregnant With Twins Naturally:
- 5 Best Sex Positions To Conceive Twins:
- 6 Fertility Treatments To Have Twins:
- 7 Fertility Supplements To Get Pregnant With Twins:
- 8 Fertility Drugs To Conceive Twins:
- 9 Fertility Herbs For Twins:
How Are Twins Conceived?
If you want to improve your chances of conceiving with twin babies, firstly understand how twins happen.
There exist two types of twins – identical (non-fraternal) and non-identical (fraternal) (1).
Nearly one-third of twins are identical, also known as monozygotic twins. They are created by fluke. They develop when one egg is fertilized by one sperm and gets divided into two separate embryos. They share the same genetic composition and placenta. Identical twins can also happen in women who undergo fertility assistance methods.
Non-identical, also known as dizygotic twins, develop when two eggs are fertilized by two sperms. They are unique and do not share genetic composition or placenta. As non-identical twins share only half of the same genetic makeup, they are not always of the same gender.
General Odds Of Having Twins:
The 21st-century statistics show that the possibility of having twins are 3%, i.e., 3 in 100 among the general population. Figures also show that there is an increase of almost 61% from the early 1980s. A much recent numbers from the US National Center for Health Statistics say that the twin birth rate is 33.9 per 1000 live births (2).
Factors That Determine The Chances of Having Twins:
As said earlier, identical twins could only happen by sheer chance. But, certain factors could influence the chances of having fraternal twins.
1. Family history / Heredity:
If you are a twin or twins run in your family, you are more likely to have twins. However, if your partner has a twin or twins run his family, it is not going to have any influence on your chances.
It all depends on you because you produce the eggs. If you or your mother is a twin, the probability of twins is high. You will have higher chances of hyperovulation (releasing two eggs during ovulation process). A few specific genes combine with hyperovulation and thus increase the frequency of non-identical twins (3).
2. Ethnicity / Race:
Your origin also has a strong influence on your chance of having twins. Asians and Hispanics have fewer chances of producing twins, whereas Africans are highly probable, followed by Europeans.
3. Type of body (height/weight):
Yes, this is strange, but taller women are more likely than shorter ones to conceive with twins. Also, heavier women have higher chances than thinner women.
Women who have a well-nourished diet are at a higher probability of producing twins than those who have a reduced and low-fat diet.
A research study published by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology states that the increasing rates of multiple births are due to increased rates of obesity. It found out that women with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 and above are more likely to produce twins. This holds true for only fraternal twins (4).
4. Maternal age:
Your chance of having twins or more babies increases with advancing age. Women above 35 years produce more FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) than younger women (5). This hormone allows the ovaries to release eggs for ovulation. The higher the hormone levels, the more are the eggs released during ovulation, thereby resulting in multiple fetuses.
5. More pregnancies:
If you had multiple pregnancies before, there is a high chance of producing twins. The probability of twins improves with increasing number of pregnancies.
Best Ways To Get Pregnant With Twins Naturally:
If you want to try for twins the natural way without resorting to any treatments, try these options out:
1. Consume dairy products:
According to research by Dr. Gary Steinman et al., eating dairy products is correlated to multiple pregnancies (6). Women who eat dairy have five times more chances to produce twins than women who do not consume these products. Some scientists believe that it is not just the dairy products, but also growth hormones present in milk (dairy from growth hormone-treated cows) help in having twins.
2. Eat wild yams:
Wild yams hyper-stimulate the ovaries, resulting in the release of more than one egg for ovulation. It will, therefore, increase your chances of producing twins. African women have better chances for twins because they consume it as a part of their ethnic diet. Yoruba tribe in West Africa has the highest twinning rate (7).
Other protein-rich foods with hyper-ovulation stimulating properties are tofu, soy isoflavones, whole wheat and whole grains.
3. Stop birth control pills:
Birth control pills play a pivotal role in helping you conceive twins naturally. When you stop taking the birth control medication, your body takes some time to find its natural rhythm. It causes the body to have a higher hormone flux, than normal. If you try conceiving around this time, there will be a greater chance of having twins (8).
4. Pregnancy while breastfeeding:
If you still breastfeeding your toddler and get pregnant again, you are more likely to have twins. Your body produces a higher percentage of prolactin during the breastfeeding phase, and it increases your chances of conceiving twins.
5. Have your partner eat zinc rich foods:
Foods rich in zinc like green leafy vegetables, oysters, bread, and seeds stimulate sperm production. It, therefore, improves the probability of fertilizing more than one egg.
6. Have space between pregnancies:
To elevate your chances of conceiving twins, have enough gap between your pregnancies. Quick conceptions hamper your chances of having twins.
Best Sex Positions To Conceive Twins:
Though having twin babies is not in your hands, some sexual positions may increase your probability of having them.
1. Side by side:
It is also known as a doggy style where the woman will position by bending her knees, and her partner will penetrate from behind. In this position, the couple will be able to conceive twins as the cervix will be more approachable to the sperms.
2. Standing up position:
It is also another doggy style where there is a chance of deep penetration.
3. Missionary position:
The man-on-top position helps the sperm to enter the egg easily, and it is the best sex position to produce twins.
4. Rear entry position:
Here, the partner enters from behind, and in this position, the sperm remains close to the cervix of the woman.
Fertility Treatments To Have Twins:
Fertility treatments provide better chances for having twins. Your doctor can suggest the best option for you. However, experts discourage multiple babies through fertility treatments.
IVF ((In vitro Fertilization):
Women who undergo IVF have 20 to 40% chances of giving birth to more than one baby. However, it mainly depends on the number of embryos placed in the uterus. There is also evidence that women undergoing treatments like IVF have fair chances of giving identical twins (9).
IUI (Intrauterine Insemination):
In this procedure, the sperms are injected into the uterus using a syringe. However, IUI alone will not increase the chances of having multiples. Women who undergo this treatment also take fertility drugs to increase the likelihood.
Fertility Supplements To Get Pregnant With Twins:
Pills and supplements could slightly improve the chances of getting pregnant with twins.
1. Take folic acid supplements:
One Australian study showed that a woman’s chances of producing twins increases by taking folic acid before pregnancy (10). However, there are also some studies that have shown contradictory results. Nonetheless, taking folic acid supplements, along with multivitamin supplements, helps prevent neural tube deformities, thus producing healthy babies.
New study reports that women undergoing IVF treatments along with excess intake of folate have increased the likelihood of birthing twins (11).
These medications improve the chances of having twin babies as they enhance the overall health of eggs and their maturity. Gonadotropins stimulate the release of more than one egg at a time. Your doctor can prescribe the right one for you.
Progesterone strengthens the lining of the uterus, therefore improving the chances of conceiving twins. When more than one egg gets fertilized, there would be a greater chance for them to attach to the uterus wall, and produce a healthy twin pregnancy.
In most cases, these fertility pills can only produce fraternal twins but not identical as pills can increase multiple eggs to release at a time.
Fertility Drugs To Conceive Twins:
After following a thorough medical examination and your doctor’s prescription, you can take fertility drugs to conceive twin babies.
1. Clomid (Clomiphene citrate):
It is the most popular fertility pill with 7-8% chances of producing twins (12). However, women who already have higher probability can improve their chances further with Clomid.
The pill may be taken before trying assisted reproductive treatments like in vitro to promote egg production.
It also helps men treat hormonal imbalances, which may affect the quality and quantity of sperm, and also their motility.
It should be taken in small doses for five days every month. It lowers the prolactin hormone levels and increases the production of follicle stimulating hormone. This drug thus assists in releasing more than one egg, improving the chances of twin pregnancy (13).
It is one of the popular drugs used to have twins after getting treatment. It stimulates hypothalamus (part of the brain which balances body’s essential functions) to deliver the luteinizing hormone that triggers ovulation. There are also chances of multiple pregnancies with pergonal (14).
Humegon has active menotrophin component which helps to induce ovulation. It also stimulates follicular maturation and triggers gonadal steroid secretion (15). It is also used along with assisted reproductive treatments.
Fertility Herbs For Twins:
There are also certain herbs which help improve fertility, in particular with the conception of twins or multiples.
1. Evening primrose oil:
Primrose oil is famous for its fertility boosting property from centuries. It helps in promoting healthy production of the cervical mucus that flows in the reproductive tract. Healthy mucus allows the sperm to survive for longer days within the ovary. It is advisable to take evening primrose oil at the peak time of menstruation and continue it up to ovulation.
This sweet herb regulates the menstrual cycle and makes it easier for you to keep track of your ovulation days. Licorice helps in controlling the hormonal level of testosterone and estrogen, thus supporting the entire process of conception.
3. Flaxseed oil:
Flaxseed oil possesses a great ability to boost fertility in women and increases your chances of conceiving twins naturally. It regulates the hormonal production and maintains a regular menstrual cycle. It ensures a proper balance of progesterone and estrogen hormones.
4. Sweet cassava:
It is the most efficient herbal supplement, known for its effect on fertility. It increases your chances of having twins by its hyper-ovulation property. The potent phytoestrogens present in cassava help in regulating the female hormones.
5. Black cohosh:
This traditional herb can effectively alleviate the symptoms associated with pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) and menopause. The herb strengthens the uterine muscles and is beneficial for women with weak pelvic floors (16). Though it does not directly increase the chances of having twins, it improves fertility rates, which may increase the probability of twin babies.
6. Vitex (chaste tree berry):
Vitex helps in treating females suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). The herb helps in regulating the hormone levels, reduces the levels of androgens that contribute towards PCOS and helps in promoting healthy ovulatory function. Vitex helps in the prevention or reduction of ovarian cysts in females. It is useful in improving the probability of twin babies as there is a chance for the woman to double ovulate.
7. Maca root:
Maca root serves as an adaptogen and promotes healthy reproductive functioning in the female body. Maca root improves overall fertility in both men and women, thereby indirectly improving the chances of producing twins.
As we have mentioned above, all these are only attempts to get pregnant with twins. There is no sure-shot way to have twins. Try your luck with one or more of these methods.
If you have given birth to twins, share your story with us. Tell us if you have made any conscious efforts to have twins, in the below comment section.
- How To Get Pregnant On The Depo Shot & How Does It Work?
- Can You Get Pregnant After Mirena Removal?
- Can You Get Pregnant While Pregnant?
- Can You Get Pregnant From Pre-Cum?
The following two tabs change content below.
“I believe words have power. They are a powerful tool for a creative soul. Being a ‘word addict’, I express my thoughts and contribute articles on health, wellness and beauty. Apart from writing, I love listening to gospel music and enjoy observing nature in silence.”
Incnut Incnut Incnut
Posted on August 11, 2017 by Peter Boyle
Babies are the biggest asset for every women. Getting pregnant after marriage is such an overwhelming for almost all women who are wishing for a parenting role, that too getting conceive with twin babies are like flying in the heaven. Giving birth to a child is indeed what every woman craves for and this feeling is unmatched with any other pleasures of life.
Conceiving with twins under natural circumstances are unpredictable one but while undergoing any medical treatments such as IVF,IUI.. there are a lot more chances to get conceive with twins medically. But if you may curious to know if there is any natural ways to increase the chances of having twins, then read on further.
Natural Formation Of Twins
Most twins are fraternal. Fraternal twins are conceived when two eggs are released during ovulation i.e. they develop from two separate eggs. Whereas, Identical twins are rare and happen as a result of just one egg which splits in two in early pregnancy.
How To Increase The Chance Of Conceiving Twins
There are certain things that will increase your chances of having twins, but some of other things are really out of your control. For example having a family history of twins will increase your chances of having twins. Other factors that may affect your chances of having twins are your ethnicity and your age. African American women are more likely to conceive twins than Caucasian women. And, Asian women have a lower chance of conceiving twins. Twins are also more common in older women.
As I said earlier some factors to be happen naturally and some other factors are in our control that will increase the chances of having twins. According to a recent study women with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 30 or higher have more chances to have twins.
1. Women who are older are more likely to have twins. However, the risks also increase; older mothers have a higher rate of miscarriage.
2. Increase the intake of dietary products: Women with adequate intake of dairy products increase their chances of having twins by 5 times.Eat wild yams. The theory comes from Africa.
A small town in Nigeria claims to have the highest rate of twins in the world. There may be a chemical in wild yams, or cassava root, which may cause hyper stimulation of the ovaries, resulting in the release of more than one egg during ovulation.
3. Continue breastfeeding. According to one twins study, women who were breastfeeding when they conceived were nine times more likely to conceive twins than women who are were not breastfeeding.
4. Try to conceive shortly after stopping birth control pills. If a woman has been using the pill for six months or more her body adjusts to the birth control controlling her hormones. So when she stops taking these pills her body starts regulating its own hormone production again, which at times lead to too much hormone stimulation. This can cause the ovaries to release one too many eggs during the first ovulatory cycle or two after discontinuing the pill.
We hope you enjoyed this information and if you desire to get twins hopefully this natural option will benefit you. Please drop us a comment and let us know.
Only one out of 89 childbirths is twins. Your chances might not be very promising, but there are several ways to get pregnant with twins naturally. Some couples who badly want twins or multiples prefer more modern, artificial methods such as in vitro fertilization and the intake of fertility drugs to increase ovulation. While these are effective, they also pose higher health risks for the woman and her babies. The best way to get pregnant with twins is still the natural way, and this does not include stocking up on fertility charms and bracelets you can buy from eBay.
1. Increase your intake of dairy products. A study conducted by Dr. Gary Steinman of the Long Island Jewish Medical Center shows that women who ate dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yoghurt everyday were five times more likely to get pregnant with twins naturally than vegetarian women. Dr. Steinman, however, notes that these dairy products might have come from cows that were treated with growth hormones, so don’t forget to ask your grocer about his stock of dairy the next time you head off to the grocery store.
2. Eat lots of cassava. Cassava is a type of starchy tuber that is native to South America and other tropical countries. It is mostly produced in Nigeria, where the Yoruba people, a native tribe that subsists mainly on cassava, live. Yoruba women are known to have the highest rate of giving birth to twins in the entire world, more than four times as much as the rest of the global population. After much studying, researchers concluded that this is due to the presence of a chemical in the cassava that causes hyperovulation.
3. Gain more weight. Although no real explanation has been offered yet, researchers at the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology have found out that women who have a higher than normal Body Mass Index (BMI), which means 30 and above, are more likely to get pregnant with twins naturally than women who had normal or low BMIs. They also discovered that taller women had more chances of conceiving twins than women who were at the normal height for their weight and age.
4. Try to get pregnant while breastfeeding. Common knowledge has it that women do not ovulate when they are lactating. Several reports from mothers of fraternal twins and the study by Dr. Steinman, however, refute this statement. According to Dr. Steinman, women who are trying to conceive while breastfeeding are nine times more likely to have twins than women who weren’t lactating.
5. Rely on your genes. Some women just have to be lucky enough to get pregnant with twins naturally, without even trying so hard. These are the women who have the twin gene activated in their DNA. The twin gene isn’t necessarily something that dictates that you conceive and give birth to twins. It is more of something that makes you hyperovulate, or release more eggs than one during ovulation. If your grandmother or one of her sisters gave birth to twins, there’s a higher chance that you will also do so than if your grandmother hadn’t.