Prayer to Bless our Homes
Adonai, we bow before You, Oh Lord, our God. We surrender our all to You. Bless our homes today, Oh loving Father. Give our families eternal love, joy, peace and happiness in their lives. Bless us with prosperity, success and favor wherever we may go.
2 Chronicles 7:15 Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. For now I have chosen and consecrated this house that my name may be there for ever; my eyes and my heart will be there for all time.
Table of contents
Blessing family members
Bless our household members. May only great things come their way. Let no evil befall them. Let temptations just slip away as they cling to You.
Lead them into the plain path of righteousness and protect and cover them under the precious blood of the Lamb wherever they go.
Psalms 127:1 Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.
Proverbs 24:3-4 By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
Praying for their salvation and wellbeing
Guide them accordingly, Oh heavenly King. Let your will be done. Draw them in, Oh loving Father. May they turn from their wicked ways and eternally seek and crave Your goodness, mercies and everlasting love.
And as they walk with You daily, Oh Merciful Savior, bless them abundantly. Let it rain. Let it pour and let it flood. In the precious Name of Jesus we pray, Amen!
Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.
And what about you? What would you like to add for your family? What are your needs? And what are you giving thanks for? Please let us know in the comments below!
Your Presence is Heaven to Me by Israel Houghton
Family is the most important thing in any man or woman life. Family is the first source of support and security, love and understanding, protection and help in any human life. It doesn’t matter where you are at the moment, you always know and have a feeling, that you can go back to your family home. If you have family, you will never feel alone and lost in the world. It is necessary and very key that our families remain and progresses in Christ. The only way to achieve that is by constantly speaking prayer for my family protection and peace together with other family members or just sending prayer words from your heart to your family members.
Prayer for my family protection and peace
Dear Lord, I thank you for my family and for the health you have given us. I thank you because you are always with us. May your presence and your mercy never depart from us in Jesus name.
Dear Lord, in Joshua 24:15, Joshua declared that he and his family will serve the Lord. Father, I pray that my family will not be led away from you. I pray that every single member of my family will be kept under your banner and in your refuge and that we will always serve and worship you in Jesus name.
Dear Lord, I pray for peace and protection in my family. I pray that we will make good strides and we will not stumble. I pray that we will have good success and that we will not fail at whatever we put our hands to do.
Dear Lord, I ask for your grace and your protection for every member of my family. I ask that your grace will open doors for my family and give us numerous breakthroughs.
Dear Lord, I pray for your financial assistance in my family. I pray for assistance in any we may need it. I ask for your provision and I pray that you keep us from lack in the name of Jesus.
Father, I pray that you will keep my family strong to pray and not to faint. I pray that you will give us the peace and grace to pray without ceasing in Jesus name. Amen.
What is prayer for my family?
Prayer for my family is supplications, declarations or utterances made for your family. When you say a prayer for my family, you are interceding or standing in gap for your family. Prayer for my family protection and peace is quite important. It reminds your family of the God they serve and keeps them constantly in tune with His word. Prayer for my family also has the effect of positively affecting family members by God’s grace, since God answers prayers. Only by praying it is possible to reach peace, progress and any positive impact on your family.
Bible proves, that constant prayers really can make changes in each family and it’s members lives. Here are some examples:
Genesis 25:21-22 says, “Isaac prayed to the Lord on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The Lord answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant”.
1 Chronicles 16:43 “Then all the people left, each for his own home, and David returned home to bless his family”.
2 Timothy 1:16 “May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains”.
Endeavour to say a prayer for your family protection and peace every day, every now and then. Ask your family members to do the same. Let it be that important to you and you will see the changes you desire in your family in Jesus name. Remember the saying: “Family which prays together, stays together”. What could be more important?
Also read: PRAYER FOR FAMILY – bring the needs of your loved ones to God
Explore this Article Religious Blessing Spiritual Blessing Article Summary Questions & Answers Related Articles References
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Together, they cited information from
Content Management Team
carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article meets our high standards.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has over 347,729 views, and 95% of readers who voted found it helpful. It also received 35 testimonials from readers, earning it our reader-approved status. Learn more…
You have finally moved into your new house. It is perfect in every single way, and you want it to stay that way. If you are a religious or spiritual person, you might find that blessing your home brings you great peace of mind and serenity. No matter what your religious or spiritual beliefs, start with Step 1 below to find out how to perform a house blessing that appeals to you.
Method 1 Religious Blessing
- Perform a Christian blessing.
The blessing of a Christian household is an ancient tradition which can be found in the Protestant, Orthodox, and Roman Catholic churches, amongst others. The blessing may be performed by an ordained priest or pastor, or by the owner of the house themselves.
- If you would prefer to have your house blessed by an ordained priest, invite him to your house to perform the blessing, and he will be happy to oblige.
- Normally, the priest will walk from room to room, sprinkling each with holy water. As he walks, he may recite one or more passages from the holy gospel.
- If you prefer to bless the house yourself, use anointing oil (which can simply be cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil, blessed by a minister) to mark a cross on each of the windows and doors inside the house.
- As you mark the sign of the cross, utter a simple prayer asking God to bless the room. For example “In the name of Jesus Christ I ask for Your peace and joy to inhabit this room,” or “May Your Holy Spirit flow through and fill this home up with Your Spirit.”
- Perform a Jewish blessing.
There are an abundance of Jewish traditions associated with moving into a new house, or simply blessing an old one.
- When moving into a new home, Jewish families are required to affix a mezuzah (parchment inscribed with Hebrew phrases from the Torah) to each of the doorways in the house.
- As the mezuzah is installed, the following prayer is recited “Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to affix a mezuzah”.
- It is also believed that Tuesday is the best day for moving into a new home, that bread and salt should be the first items to enter the house, and that shortly after moving in a Chanukat Habayit or housewarming party should be held, where friends and family gather and words of the Torah are spoken.
- During the housewarming party, it’s tradition to eat the first fruit of the new season while reciting the shehecheyanu blessing, as follows: “Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to reach this occasion.”
- Perform a Hindu blessing.
Hindu house blessings vary greatly according to different regions. In some places the housewarming ceremony is second in importance only to a couple’s wedding day.
- However, across all regions the house blessing must be performed on the morning the homeowners move into their new home. An auspicious move-in date must be chosen by the local Hindu priest, who must also perform the ceremony.
- On the day, it is traditional (in some regions) for the homeowners to supply a gift tray or dakshina for the priest’s use throughout the ceremony. This gift tray usually contains items such as raw, washed rice, mango leaves, ghee, coins, herbs, spices, fruit and flowers, among others.
- During the ceremony, the homeowners will often sit in front of the fireplace, wearing their best clothes and repeating mantras. The priest will usually recite a prosperity prayer to the Hindu gods, asking for prosperity, purity and serenity to be bestowed upon the people of the house.
- Contact a priest at your local Hindu temple for information on how the housewarming ceremony is performed in your region.
- Perform an Islamic blessing.
Muslim people bless their house mainly by reciting prayers – usually there is no official ceremony that needs to be performed. However, certain prayers and traditions are recommended:
- Upon moving into a new house, it is a good idea to perform a two cycle prayer, asking Allah to bestow baraka (blessing), rahma, (mercy) and dhikr (remembrance) upon the home.
- You can also recite a prayer to protect your home from the evil eye and the envy of others using the following Prophetic Supplication: “I seek refuge for you in the perfect words of Allaah from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye.”
- It is also recommended that you invite your friends and family over for dinner, as feeding others is viewed as a charitable act, and a way of showing gratitude to Allah. At this dinner, you and your guests may recite passages from the Qur’an together.
- Aside from blessing your house when you first move in, you can also bless your house every time you step through the door using the following prayer: “I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created”. Repeating this prayer three times will ensure no harm comes to you while you are in the house.
- Perform a Buddhist blessing.
In Buddhism, a ceremony known as
Khuan Ban Mai is performed (in certain regions) when a new house is built to protect the house and its inhabitants. The ceremony is performed by a group of nine monks, who must be invited to the house early on the morning of the ceremony.
- The monks then perform a ritual involving sacred lustral water and wax candles. As the wax melts and drops into the water, it is believed to wash away evil and sorrow.
- The monks also chant prayers in the Pali language, while passing a white string through each of their hands. The vibrations from the chanted prayers are believed to pass through the string, protecting the houses and its inhabitants.
- After the ceremony, the monks sit down to a meal prepared by the host family and their friends and neighbors.They must finished their meal before noon. Then one monk sprinkles holy water in each of the rooms of the house, before they all leave.
- Once the monks leave, the rest of the guests sit down to eat the remaining food. In the afternoon, they perform the thread ceremony, where the guests wrap a white thread around the homeowners and offer them their blessing.
Method 2 Spiritual Blessing
Clean and de-clutter your home. It is important to clean and de-clutter your home before you perform a house blessing. This will put you in a more positive frame of mind and invite fresh energy into the home.
Invite friends and family. It’s a nice idea to invite friends and family to share in the house blessing ritual with you. Ask them to stand in a circle and join hands.
Light a pink candle. Pink symbolizes love and kindness, and will invite these energies into your home.
Share blessings. Pass the pink candle to each person in the circle. Whoever is holding the candle should share their blessings for the home and homeowners. Example blessings include “may this home be a sacred dwelling for you and your family” or “may those who enter this home feel peace and love”.
Walk to each room of the house and state your intention for it. After the blessing, you may want to carry the pink candle into each room of the house and state your intention for it, whether it’s the bedroom, the baby’s room or the kitchen.
Allow the pink candle to burn for an hour. When the ceremony is complete, place the pink candle in a central location in the house and allow it to burn for at least an hour.
Open all East-facing doors and windows. This allows the life-giving energy of the sun to stream into your home, bringing energy, life and light.
Add New Question
What type of blessing is it when someone walks around a home a few times sprinkling salt or sand?
Salt covenant. It’s a Christian house blessing, wherein you walk the perimeter of your yard or house with kosher salt and ask for protection and anything else for your home.
Can I use a white candle instead of pink?
Yes, white is a good color to attract positive energy to the house.
What can I do if I feel my house is haunted?
Any of the blessings or rituals stated above, usually through an ordained minister or priest with holy water or anointed oil.
Do I have to pay for a house blessing?
Usually you do not have to pay for a house blessing but in some cases you may have the option to give an offering in exchange for a blessing.
Is it true that I can bless my apartment with my family members, if a clergy member is not available at the time needed?
Anyone can bless their home. Religious clergy is not required to bless your home. We were all created by the same creator who created the religious clergy. Therefore all of the creators creations are holy.
How do I bless my children to so that no harm comes to them?
You can bless your children to help them get away from harm if it comes their way, but they cannot entirely avoid harm. Everyone suffers, and everyone will have personal struggles. The best thing is to be there for them and pray every night for God to bless them and give them the strength and hope to get through the next day.
Can I do it on my own?
Not if you are Orthodox Christian or Roman Catholic. Other faith traditions (and even other Christian traditions) may not require a priest or minister’s presence.
Can old carpet and flooring be blessed or should it be removed?
A home can be blessed in any condition, but for safety and appeal, old carpet and flooring should be replaced to create a most positive atmosphere.
How often should a house be (re)blessed? Negative energy and dark spirits seem to be getting back in after about two years of blessing it.
You should re-bless when you feel negativity is making its way back into your home or if a visit from someone has left your home with a feel of negativity.
Who do I contact to have a new home opening ceremony to have my house blessed?
You may contact your local church and request a priest to bless your house.
Show more answers
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- You might like to put in some holy pictures into your house.
- It would also be very fitting to have a little party afterwards to celebrate the blessing.
- Smudging is also a great way to increase positive energy in your home. You need a sage smudge stick (or other variation of a smudge stick but sage is most common) and to burn and wave the smoke throughout the entire home.
- The Spanish have an old custom of hanging crosses above bedroom doors, to scare away evil spirits and protect the people in the house. If you are Christian, this is a good idea, if you live in a house with a painful past.
Things You’ll Need
Holy water (optional)
A rosary chaplet or any other kind of prayer beads (optional)
To bless your house, start by cleaning and de-cluttering it so it’s nice and clean when you bless it. Then, light a pink candle, which symbolizes love and kindness, and carry it into each room in your house. When you enter a room, state your intention for it. When you’re finished, let the candle burn for an hour and open all of your East-facing doors and windows to let in fresh air and light. To learn how to do different religious blessing ceremonies, keep reading!
Did this summary help you? Article Info
In other languages:
Italiano: Benedire una Casa, Deutsch: Ein Haus segnen, Español: bendecir una casa, Português: Abençoar uma Casa, Русский: освятить дом, Français: bénir une maison, Bahasa Indonesia: Memberkati Rumah, Nederlands: Een huis zegenen, Čeština: Jak požehnat domu
- Send fan mail to authors
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 347,729 times.
Did this article help you?