One of our very best friends is at the hospital this morning to prepare for surgery to remove a brain tumor. He is a huge part of our lives, has been a faithful friend to Andrew and I for 11 years, and is an adopted uncle to our girls. He flew to another city for this surgery, and we have been feeling so far away and wishing we could be with him and his family to offer tangible support. As we fight the restlessness that comes with waiting for a major event like surgery, we are holding onto the promises of God.
Before the surgery, God has already showed up. We create our editorial calendar over a month in advance, and we scheduled our Resources topic for this week to be a prayer guide for what to pray while your child is in surgery—three weeks before we knew about our friend’s surgery. I am reminded of Proverbs 16:9, which says, “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord determines his steps.” God knew that we would need these verses to claim for our friend today even before we did. Knowing that these verses come right from the heart of God, we offer these to you to meditate on or pray as your child or loved one is back in surgery.
Download a PDF of this guide here
Table of contents
Prayers for God’s Presence
I will be the same until your old age, and I will bear you up when you turn gray. I have made you, and I will carry you; I will bear and save you.
Can a woman forget her nursing child, or lack compassion for the child in her womb? Even if these forget, yet I will not forget you.
Now this is what the Lord says–the One who created you, Jacob, and the One who formed you, Israel–”Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. I will be with you when you pass through the waters, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. You will not be scorched when you walk through the fire, and the flame will not burn you…Because you are precious in my sight and honored, and I love you.”
He watches over his nest like an eagle and hovers over his young; he spreads his wings, catches him, and lifts him up on his pinions. The Lord alone led him, with no help from a foreign god.
The Lord your God who goes before you will fight for you, just as you saw him do for you in Egypt. And you saw in the wilderness how the Lord your God carried you as a man carries his son all along the way you traveled until you reached this place.
He lifted them up and carried them all the days of the past.
The Lord holds his hand.
Lord, you are a God who heals. You are a God who loves. You are a God who holds and carries your children through the hardest moments. I can’t hold right now, but you can. Your heart of love is tender towards those who are yours. Carry today. Let him/her feel your presence with them. I ask that you would calm his/her heart and mind and allow to rest in your faithful love. You promise that whatever comes our way, you are there guiding us and will never let us go. Never once have we walked alone, and is not alone now. Please watch over through this surgery.
Prayers for God’s Healing
But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings, and you will go out and playfully jump like calves from the stall.
For I am the Lord who heals you.
Praise the Lord, oh my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, oh my soul, and forget not all his benefits–who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion; who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Heal me, oh Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are my praise.
And Jesus said to the centurion, “Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.
Lord, you are the Healer. Your power that healed the centurion’s servant in Matthew is working today. You still work miracles today. Thank you for gifting the staff at the hospital with the brilliance and skill to excel at administering medical healing. Thank you for the training that the surgeons and medical staff have received to perform surgery today. We ask that you would be their wisdom and guide their hands as the ultimate physician. Please let the surgery go smoothly and with no complications. Bring a full recovery to and leave no sign of illness. Please show your healing power today.
Prayers for Hope
I rise before dawn and cry out for help; I put my hope in your word.
You are my shelter and my shield; I put my hope in your word.
We wait for the Lord; he is our help and shield.
He will not fear bad news; his heart is confident, trusting in the Lord.
Rest in God alone, my soul; for my hope comes from him.
We who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to seize the hope set before us. We have this hope as an anchor for our lives, safe and secure.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
God, I confess that yours is hope that I can stand on. Your hope anchors me when I feel overwhelmed because your hope is secure. Wash me in the truth of who you are as I wait during surgery today. Fill , the doctors, our family, and our community with your hope that does not disappoint. When fear, anger, and discouragement show up, help us to acknowledge the emotions and rely on you to provide love, peace, and joy in their place. Fill us with your peace that surpasses understanding. Fill us with your light. I love you, oh Lord, my strength.
Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you believe in him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Download a copy of this prayer guide here
You may also be interested in our prayer resources page.
In the comments: Tell us who you are praying for and what the surgery is, and we will join you in interceding for them!
Bible verses for surgery
Having gone into surgery twice I know it can be a scary time not only for you, but for your family as well. Rest assure that God is in control of the situation. Keep your mind on Christ and your mind will be at peace.
Before surgery, look over these Scriptures to give you comfort and draw near to the Lord in prayer.
Tell the Lord all that is on your mind. Leave it all in God’s hands. Ask the Holy Spirit to comfort you. Trust that you are secure in our omnipotent God.
- “Let your faith be bigger than your fears.”
- “Nothing can shake those who are secure in god’s hands.”
- “The perfect cure for worry is trust in god.”
1. 2 Timothy 1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2. Isaiah 41:10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you! Don’t be frightened, for I am your God! I strengthen you–yes, I help you–yes, I uphold you with my saving right hand!
3. Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
4. Psalm 23:3-4 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
Put it into God’s hands
5. 2 Corinthians 1:9 We felt we were doomed to die and saw how powerless we were to help ourselves; but that was good, for then we put everything into the hands of God, who alone could save us, for he can even raise the dead.
6. Psalm 138:8 The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever– do not abandon the works of your hands.
What does the Bible say?
7. Exodus 14:14 The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.
8. Isaiah 40:29 He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.
9. Psalm 147:3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
10. Psalm 91:14-15 “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. “He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
Prayer before surgery
11. Philippians 4:6-7 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
12. 1 Peter 5:7 Turn all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you.
13. Isaiah 55:6 Seek the LORD while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near.
14. Psalm 50:15 Call on me in times of trouble. I will rescue you, and you will honor me.
15. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
16. Isaiah 12:2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.
17. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths smooth.
18. Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
19. Psalm 71:5 For You are my hope; O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth.
20. Jeremiah 30:17 But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds, declares the LORD, because you are called an outcast, Zion for whom no one cares.
21. 2 Corinthians 4:17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.
22. Psalm 91:11 For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.
23. Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
24. 1 Peter 2:24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”
25. Mark 5:34 And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over.”
Psalm 121:3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
To my dear friend. I heard about your recent surgery and wanted to wish you a quick and complete recovery. I know this has been a difficult time for you and I’ve been thinking about you constantly. Take it easy, get plenty of rest and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
—I was so sorry to hear about your recent hospitalization. It sounds like you were a real trooper. I’m thrilled that everything went well, that the prognosis is good and that you’re back at home. Feel good!—To my dear co-worker. I’m glad to hear your surgery went well and that you’re resting up. Take good care of yourself. We miss your wonderful smile here at the office and we’re looking forward to seeing you!—Hello, dear friend. I hear your surgery went well and that you’re recovering beautifully. Take it slow over the next few weeks. When you’re feeling up to it, I’d love to treat you to lunch!—I’m so relieved that your surgery went well. It sounds like the procedure went smoothly and that the doctors are happy with the outcome. Take good care of yourself and best wishes for a quick and easy recovery.—I’m sorry to hear about your recent need for surgery. I’m sure it’s been a challenging time for you and the family. Hopefully, the hardest part is behind you. Feel better and rest up, my friend.—I just learned about your recent surgery. I’m relieved that everything went well and that you’re back home. I hope you’re feeling better and that you’re taking care of yourself. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!—I was so surprised to learn about your recent surgery. I hope the hospital staff is treating you well and that you’re getting the quality care you deserve. Best wishes for a complete recovery!—It’s been ages since we last spoke, so I was shocked to hear that you were in the hospital! I hope the procedure went smoothly and that you’re healing nicely. Make sure they treat you well and get plenty of rest so you can hurry home. — I was so sorry to hear about your surgery, but I’m relieved to hear that everything went well. Be sure to get plenty of rest and don’t make the mistake of rushing back to work too soon. Take good care of yourself. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.—I know this has been a challenging time for you, and I want to send my very best wishes for a quick and easy recovery. I hope you are resting comfortably following your surgery and I pray you’ll be able to head home soon. Love and blessings!—Wishing you an easy recovery following surgery and a quick return to complete health! Give a shout if you need help. I’ll be happy to lend a hand with grocery shopping, cooking, laundry or babysitting. I’m here for you! Hugs!—You’re home! What a tremendous relief that must be! I’m so happy the surgery went well and that you’re resting comfortably. Take my advice and don’t rush back to work too soon. Stay away from stress and give yourself plenty of time to recover. —I’m so sorry you’ve been under the weather lately. I pray the surgery was successful and I’m sending hugs and wishes for a fast recovery. Don’t hesitate to call if there’s something I can do to speed up the healing process! You’re in my thoughts.—I know this has been a tough time for you and your family, and I pray the worst is behind you. I admire your courage and pray your surgery was successful! Warm blessings for a complete recovery!—You are my hero! You handled your recent surgery with such courage! You should be blessed with an easy and swift recovery. I pray you’ll come back stronger and better than ever! Love and hugs to you!—It’s such a relief to hear that your surgery went well and that you’re heading home soon. Your recovery should be smooth and easy. Rest up and feel good!