Prayers for my teenage son. Rebellious Relationship with Parents. Have you ever laid awake at night wondering, where is my son? What is he up to? Who is he with? Is he safe? The worries of a parent over their rebellious teenage sons is never ending. Teenagers can be in the wrong place at the wrong time and before you know it they are faced with peer pressure, gangs, hanging around streets and areas that speak ‘danger’. It is for this reason, prayers for my teenage son and for improving his relationship with parents is a must currently.
This article aims to explain reasons why we should pray for our teenagers, why this age group is key and equally challenging. This article also aims to outline how our prayers can help and change the very atmosphere over the lives of our rebellious teenagers and improve relationship with parents.
What is prayer?
Prayer enables us to communicate directly with our heavenly Father. Prayer is indeed a heavenly language and is available to those who trust and believe in Jesus Christ. The word of God reminds us to “come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). Prayer allows us to approach God, concerning those issues that burden us as parents; our teenage sons. Prayer releases an atmospheric change and causes the forces of darkness to submit to the power of the almighty God. It is for this reason that we should pray for our rebellious teenagers and against the strongholds that encompasses them. Our prayers are not like the weapons of the world, but they have the power to demolish strongholds and every false argument that Satan uses against us and our teenagers.
“The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:4-5).
Why we should pray for our teenagers and how our prayers help?
God is the source in whom we can rely on
- Prayers for my teenage son is a way to present my requests before God, with thanksgiving (Philippians 4:6).
- Prayers for my teenage son moves the heart of God as well as it teaches the fundamental principles of intercession.
- Intercessory prayer develops my relationship and communication with God and enables me to intervene on behalf of my rebellious son by standing in the gap and pleading with God through unrelenting prayer.
- We should also pray for our teenagers, because we are reminded that God is the hearer of prayer and to You people of all sorts will come (Psalm 65:2).
- Praying for my teenage son will demonstrate dependence on God. As parents, we may never understand the challenges and the difficulties faced by teenagers. However, offering prayers for my teenage son, gives strength and comfort, knowing that God is the source in whom we can rely on.
- Prayers for my teenage son, invites God to act on his behalf. We must invite God to work through us here on earth. Failure to do so, will result in evil forces to legally dominate mankind. Therefore, by inviting God to act (through prayer), counteracts “the God of this age blinding the minds of unbelievers” (2 Corinthians 4:4).
Therefore, the lives of others, such as my teenage son(s) can be saved, rather than lost, and relationships with parents can be improved.
Why this age range is specific and challenging?
According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Family Database, in 2015, teenage suicide rates was perceived to be the highest in Canada, Estonia, Iceland, New Zealand. 10 or more suicide cases per 100 000 teenagers (15-19 years) were reported during this period. According to WebMd, suicide is suggested to be the third predicted causes of death of teenagers aged between 15 and 24. Teenage males account for 84% of all suicides from 5,000 lives lost every year. Equally, the suicide rate for teenage boys (15-19 years) has increased significantly by 30% from 2007-2015.
The cause of the increase in suicide cases among teenagers can be stress, depression, mental and mood disorders, history of physical or mental abuse, substance abuse, confusion and bad relationship with parents.
Some teenage sons may find it difficult in coping with hormonal developments encompassed with body changes, ‘identity crisis’ and having to develop a sense of self-independence. As such teenage boys can often become rebellious, confused, anxious and carry low self-esteem.
Therefore, as parents and guardians, we must remind our teenage sons that God knows the plans He has for them. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11). We must pray and remind our teenage sons to stay on the path of purity and live according to His Word (Psalm 119:9).
Prayers for my teenage son – Rebellious Relationship with Parents
Our Father, who is in heaven, hallowed be Your Name. I thank you for your divine blessings in my life. I thank You Father for my teenage son. Your Word says, that before You formed my son in the womb, you knew him. Father, help my teenage son to understand the authority that you have place inside of him. Help him to not accept negative talk, negative actions, negative deeds over His life, but help him to recognize the ‘Christ-like identity’ that You have placed inside him.
Father, will you release my son from the strongholds that may plaque his life right now? Will you release him from emotional, physical and spiritual hurts, and grant Your emotional, physical and spiritual protection over my son? Please keep evil far away from him and help him to trust in Your Word, because you are his refuge and strength; a very present help in times of trouble. Guard his mind and every thought that is not of You. Help my son(s) to find rest in You, this I ask. Amen.
Being able to understand the purpose of praying for your teenage son, will enable you to pray fervently as a parent. Knowing why you should pray for teenagers and the specific challenges faced, will also enable you to pray strategically, purposefully and according to the will of God.
Sources used for statistical information:
Teenage SuicidePreventing Teen Suicide
- Also read:
- PRAYER FOR FAMILY – bring the needs of your loved ones to God
- PRAYER OF ENCOURAGEMENT and Strength for a Friend or Myself
- PRAYERS FOR STRENGTH in Difficult Situations