St. Anthony Mary Claret, during your life on earth you often comforted the afflicted and showed such tender love and compassion for the sick and sinful.
Intercede for me now that you rejoice in the reward of your virtues in heavenly glory.
Look with pity on me and grant my prayer, if such be the will of God.
Make my troubles your own.
Speak a word for me to the Immaculate Heart of Mary to obtain by her powerful intercession the grace I yearn for so ardently, and a blessing to strengthen me during life, assist me at the hour of death, and lead me to a happy eternity. Amen.
By Brad Andres
Praying with the dying can be an intimidating thing. The time nearing death can be a very stressful and scary time for families and friends of the ill.
Let’s go over some of the basics of praying for someone who is nearing death. We’ve also included some sample prayers for the dying below to help guide you through this process.
If you do not know the individual, then spend some time getting to know them as a person. Ask them about their family, about their life. Find out what they are proud of, ask if they have any regrets. Discover what they believe the afterlife is going to be like.
(Read Bible Verses about Death, and Bible Verses about Heaven)
Once a rapport is established, albeit however small, then you can move onto the praying part. People need to know you care about them before you pray for them, and taking the time to ask about their life is one way to do that.
Therefore, following establishing a relationship, here are a few things to remember which will help guide you when saying prayers for the ill.
Table of contents
1. Do they know Jesus?
This is the most important question which you need to answer before praying with someone as they are about to pass onto the next life. If they do not know Jesus, you need to introduce them to each other as soon as possible.
In all actuality, if they do not know Jesus, then there is not much point in progressing further. Yes, you will still pray with them, for God’s comfort, peace, and rest, but if they are not going to inherit the free gift of eternal life, then what is the point? The point of praying those things is that maybe something will click, possibly the Lord could grab ahold of their hearts before death, and they may encounter Jesus before their passing. And besides, it is just courteous to bless someone in their dark hours of life.
Prayer To Know Jesus Before Dying
Come into my life.
I believe you died and rose from the grave.
I believe you live eternally in heaven.
Cleanse me from all unrighteousness.
Forgive me of all my sins.
Move into my heart.
I make you my Lord and Savior.
Thank you for your sacrifice.
I accept your gift of eternal salvation.
2. Pray for God’s peace.
Death can be frightening for some, and for others, death can be completely natural. Some who know Christ will face death fearlessly, while some others will be terrified. The same goes for those who are not in a relationship with Christ; some will be unafraid and some will be frightened.
As stated earlier, it will be good practice to pray for God’s comfort and peace regardless of that person’s level of relationship with Jesus.
A Comforting Prayer for the Dying
Help discover your peace.
Let them receive your comfort.
Help them to be at rest knowing that you care for them,
and that you love them.
Calm their soul as they move into the afterlife.
May they spend eternity with you;
may they live forever in your presence.
3. Pray for the Family
Just as death may be hard or easy for an individual, so can it be the same for any remaining family or friends. Sometimes when you have the opportunity to pray with the dying, you will be alone. Othertimes, family and friends will be present. Regardless, even if you pray this as you leave, it is still thoughtful to pray for those who will be mourning the person’s passing.
A Prayer for the Family of the Dying
Bring this family peace.
Provide them with your comfort.
Let them know you tenderly care for each and every one of them.
Lead them to be reunited with their loved one some day.
Sit with them in their mourning.
Let your presence provide rest.
Thank you, for the gift of life that brought to the world.
May he rest peacefully with you for eternity.
A final note to remember is that this time is an emotional and stressful time for all associated with the dying person. Therefore, you may be given a chance to pray, and you may not be given a chance to pray. Remember to respect all people’s wishes, and know that as you walk with God into the room, you are inviting His presence into the situation. If you pray these prayers on your way back home alone, it still carries power to allow God into the situation.
And we will finish with my prayer for you.
A Prayer for Those Going to Pray with the Dying
Give this person strength.
Grant this person confidence.
Allow them the opportunity to discover if the passing person knows you.
Give them wisdom to know when to speak and what to say.
Let them bring your presence into the room.
Let them carry your love into the situation.
Encourage them with a special gift or your presence.
If you’d like to submit a prayer request for someone who is ill, please do so below.
Brand Andres is a licensed minister and his passion is to help people understand the Bible and maximize
their God given potential for life.
Find him at BradAndres.com, and follow him on Twitter and Google.
You may be faced with a strange and destructive illness like cancer. Read on to be guided on how to pray healing for cancer.
Millions of people all over the world are faced with incurable and chronic illnesses. No matter how sophisticated or advance science and the medical profession are, how replete the resources, and how determined people battle sicknesses, still there are many unable to find cure or resolve.
One of the most devastating and threatening diseases is cancer. You may know of any family member, relative or friend suffering from this. Cancer is “known medically as a malignant neoplasm, is a broad group of various diseases, all involving unregulated cell growth. In cancer, cells divide and grow uncontrollably, forming malignant tumors, and invade nearby parts of the body.” (Wikipedia)
Majority of cancer victims die of this debilitating disease while a small number succeed in fighting this problem. How do you pray to heal cancer?
The curses and sicknesses from the generational family lines are at times the cause of illnesses. Our forefathers or ancestors may have sinned against God and men thereby defiling the bloodline of the succeeding generations. You may ask your pastor or anyone from your church to pray this through.
If this has been dealt with, you may begin searching or examining your heart for any un-confessed sins which will become the entry point of the enemy to your life. You my pray something along this line, “Lord, here are all my sins: _____. If there are any more sins, by faith I am forgiven completely and unconditionally. Wash me with your blood and forgive my sins. Cleanse me through and through. Amen.” Also, see this Prayer for Release From the Past
Next you should do a spiritual housecleaning in your own life and your household and your home. You may examine whether in your mind, heart, will, emotions, soul, spirit, and body you have ungodly beliefs and practices. You may be overcome with fear, doubts, and anxiety. Or you may be exposing yourself to ungodly sounds, images or habits. Or you may still be in bondage with addictions, strongholds, and mental structures that have to be broken.
Take a look at your own family. Pray through for areas where each member is sinning or struggling. Remove anything in your house that glorifies the occult, cults, violence, sexual sins, or any object that are an abomination in God’s sight.
When you have cleansed yourself, family, home, and your generational lines, you may begin uttering Healing Prayers. The Scriptures is filled with verses on healing, passages of miraculous intervention, and Bible characters who received their healing.
You may declare and believe these Healing Scriptures For Cancer—
25 “So you shall serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I will take sickness away from the midst of you.
26 and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.”
20 My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Do not let them depart from your eyes;
Keep them in the midst of your heart;
22 For they are life to those who find them,
And health to all their flesh.
19 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
And He saved them out of their distresses.
20 He sent His word and healed them,
And delivered them from their destructions.
21 Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness,
And for His wonderful works to the children of men!
2 O Lord my God, I cried out to You,
And You healed me.
4 Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
22 A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
3 Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
4 Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
5 Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
For the practical side of it, consult any medical practitioner so that you may know how to strategically care for this sickness. Take care of your health. Eat the right diet. Rest and exercise and sleep on time. You may opt to choose an organic lifestyle.
It is God’s perfect will to heal. He can heal any form of illness. Take God at His Word and believe that your healing is now taking place as you use God’s word to manifest healing in your life and body.
It is encouraged to tame your tongue and only speak positive and life-giving words. Do not declare sickness, death, and fear but only use words that align with the Scriptures.
Bless your body and command healing over it. Take authority over this sickness.
You may pray this prayer for healing cancer now –
“Abba Father, I almost reached the end of the rope. Forgive me, my family, and our forefathers for transgressing you. Cancel now and reverse all the curses against my family lines with the blood of Jesus Christ. Forgive me for my personal sins and close the legal access of the enemy upon my life.
Cleanse our body, soul, and spirit with the blood of Jesus also. I speak life to my body. By the authority given to me by God, I cancel the attempt of the enemy to kill, steal, and destroy. I speak healing upon my body for by the stripes of Jesus, I am healed and made whole.
I declare blessing upon my body to function to the way God originally intended for it to function. I speak life to my immune system and for all the healthy cells to digest all the bad and sickly cells.
Thank You, Lord for healing me now. I appropriate the word of God, blood of Jesus, power of the Holy Spirit to heal me completely.
I speak shalom, rest and fullest recovery for my body. I cancel the diagnosis of the doctors and believe God’s word instead. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.”
If you have prayed this prayer for healing cancer, be assured that your healing begins. Do not lose hope. God is still the God of miracles. Just believe in Him and take heart. When fears, doubts, and apprehensions begin setting in, go back to this prayer for healing cancer.
If you do not have cancer and know of anyone suffering from it, pray for him/her, anoint her with oil and lay hands on her. If she is not strong enough to pray for herself, do pray for her.
Remember if the Lord has healed you, then you are healed; therefore, there is no fear for cancer in remission. Don’t speak this over yourself or anyone else. You are healed and that’s that.
While we don’t believe in praying to the saints, we would like to share the story of St. Peregrine who is considered the patron saint for sickness
and cancer. Among the special penances of St. Peregrine was his decision to stand at all times with only a few occasions where he would sit. It is known that he didn’t sit for 30 years and subsequently he developed varicose veins which then led to cancer of the leg & foot. The lesions were so bad that the surgeon had made preparations to do an amputation. Nevertheless, the night before the surgery, St. Peregrine began to drag himself to the foot of the cross in his church and stayed there praying for numerous hours. As he nodded off to sleep he was given a vision of Jesus touching his foot. The next day the everyone saw that he was totally healed.
If God can do it for St. Peregrine, He can do it for you. Just pray and believe in His power.
Here are other prayers and bible verses that you may find useful:
Bible Verses for Healing
Bible Verses about Forgiveness
Breakthrough Prayer and Scriptures
A Prayer for Healing against various diseases and illnesses
For more prayers, click our link.
Updated on February 11, 2017
Want to write encouraging and comforting birthday messages for a cancer patient? Thinking about something nice to say to someone with terminal cancer or going through a tough time? Sometimes it can be difficult to figure out what to write in a birthday card for someone battling cancer.
Sending prayers for healing, for a speedy recovery, and for a continuing good health on their special day can give them hope and help them feel better.
Keep in touch with them with some of these comforting wishes and make them feel loved and cared for.
General Birthday Wishes
For someone diagnosed with cancer
- I wish you more birthdays to come and good health always.
- Here’s wishing you the happiest of birthdays and strength to endure the pain.
- Here’s wishing you good health on your birthday.
- Sending prayers for a miraculous healing as we remember your special day.
- Thinking about you and your special day. Happy birthday!
- As we mark your birthday, may you be healed from the illness and recover fast!
- Happy birthday, may you get better soon!
- May God take away your pain and make you feel better soon!
- On your birthday, I’m sending prayers for a quick healing.
- I’m praying for a fast recovery and for continuing good health. Happy birthday!
- Today as we remember your day, may you start enjoying good health again!
- I’m sending get better soon wishes to brighten your day.
- I hope this birthday wish make you feel better quickly.
- I pray each day brings healing as you add another year.
- As you grow older, I wish you a bearable treatment and a speedy recovery.
Do you think prayers for healing are good birthday gift ideas for someone diagnosed with cancer?
Sample Birthday Wishes for a Cancer Patient
Below you will find some ideas on what to write in a birthday card for someone diagnosed with cancer. They are meant to inspire your card or note’s wording:
- I wanted you to know how much I love and care about you. Please don’t get discouraged, you’re always in our thoughts and prayers. You’ll overcome this horrible time and feel better soon. Happy birthday to someone I love so dearly!
- On your birthday, I wish you a speedy healing that does not leave behind any illness whatsoever. Never give up, you’ll win the battle.
- Today, I wish you fast healing, many more birthdays, happiness, and good health to enjoy the rest of your life.
- I wish I could help you regain your full strength back. However, my prayers for fast healing are with you. I love you. Happy birthday!
- The result of your cancer diagnosis does not mean you are hopeless, have hope and courage that you will soon get better. My thoughts and prayers are with you always. As you add yet another year today, I wish you many more blissful birthdays and a robust good health.
- Happy birthday to my best friend, may you have many more years of good health to spend with us on earth and I pray God give you the strength and courage to continue with the treatment and feel better soon.
- Despite your health challenges, you are still steadfast in faith. I’m so happy that you’re responding positively to the cancer therapy. May you be healed completely and get better soon. Happy birthday!
- You are my pride, and you’re always in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Happy birthday to someone I’m missing so much!
When trouble comes, focus on God’s ability to care for you.
— Charles Stanley
- I’m so sorry to hear about your ill health. I hope that the therapy sessions are giving you relief from the pain and making it easier to get better soon. I miss you. Happy birthday!
- I just wanted to let you know how much you mean to me and to tell you that you should never give up for the cancer. On your birthday, I pray for your healing, happiness, and for a speedy recovery.
- Don’t see this tough time you’re experiencing as if it is the end of life. I know people who survived this terrible illness, and they’re now living very healthy. You too can make it, but all you need now is positive attitude towards yourself. Happy birthday. I wish to see you get better soon!
- On your birthday, I pray you enjoy good health again, happiness in life, and strength to continue with your wonderful role in my life.
- Missing someone who is hospitalized on birthday. I’m praying you feel better soon and for a continuing good health. Happy birthday to my best friend!
- I hope the treatment is bearable and you’re getting better. Here’s wishing you good health on your birthday and many more birthdays to come.
- Being hospitalized is not a barrier for me to express how special you are to me. Happy birthday. May you be cured from all diseases and be healthy again to do what you love to do best!
- Breast cancer doesn’t really matter if we truly love each other. I’m thinking about you during this tough time, and I will remain by your side till death do us part. On your birthday, I’m sending prayers for miraculous healing your way.
- I know how painful it is not standing by my side to celebrate your birthday. May you have the strength and courage to bear the treatment! Happy birthday!
- I wish you well and hope to see you come back hale and hearty.
- We hope to see you bounce back to your normal healthy lifestyle after going through chemotherapy. On your birthday, we wish you good health and happiness to enjoy your life.
- Warmest happy birthday greetings to you. May you find the treatment bearable and come back healthy and strong ever than before.
- I’m sending these birthday message and well wishes to help brighten your day, renew your hope of healing, and to lift your spirit that you can win the battle over this horrible disease. This is how much I care. Happy birthday!
I’m thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength.
— Alex Elle
Religious Birthday Wishes
- May God the giver of life take care of you, heal you from any sickness, and grant you good health and happiness in life. Happy birthday to my sweetheart!
- May God the most merciful give your body strength to win the battle over breast cancer, make you feel better soon as you grow older today, and make the path of healing easier for you.
- As we mark your special day today, may God remove the pains you are feeling, cure you from the illness, and give you a speedy recovery so that you may live the rest of your life glorifying His holy names.
- The cancer endangering your life will never be victorious. May God give you peace of mind, comfort, happiness, courage, and strength to endure the pains! Here’s wishing you more birthdays to come and good health.
- We are praying for a speedy recovery and for continuing good health as we mark your birthday. May the light of God shine upon you and heal you without leaving behind any illness.
- Congratulations as you mark your birthday. Your next birthday will be much fantastic than you’re having today because you would have recovered fully from the illness. Happy birthday!
- At , life is just beginning. Happy birthday to someone who fought and won the battle over cancer. Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery and continuing good health.
- Today, there is nothing much better than glorifying God holy names for making it easier for you to survive the illness. Happy birthday!
- I hope these best wishes meet you well. I look forward to celebrating your next birthday with you. Here’s wishing you many more birthdays to come and a robust sound health.
- May you be blessed with good health, happiness, and long life as you celebrate your special day!
- I’m so happy to hear that you’ve been discharged from hospital. I’m sending wishes for a speedy recovery and for continuing sound health. Happy birthday!
- Thank God for keeping you alive to witness your birthday. Here’s wishing you many more years of good health, lots of love, and happiness.
Did you find this article helpful?
© 2017 Oyewole Folarin
Prayer is powerful and gets to the core of some of our greatest challenges. In this very special episode of Box of Prayers, we have the opportunity to lift up a very important petition before the Lord. Led by Becky Thompson, an author and bold prayer warrior, we join together on a vitally significant request in the prayer box.
L writes in with a pressing and important need. “My daughter has a brain tumor and is in need of healing. We are fighting for her life. Please pray.” Join us as we pray for L, her daughter and for others who are living in the shadow of a similar debilitating medical crisis.
RELATED CONTENT: Powerful Prayers for Marriage Reconciliation
Becky leads us, “I pray that the tumor in her brain would shrivel up and go, in Jesus’ name. I pray that there’d be no residual effects of this tumor. I pray that there would be no long term, no short term, no signs of cancer in her body.” Do you agree? Watch and pray as well.
There’s no prayer request too big or too small for our Father. If you have any issue that you want the Lightworkers team to lift before God, it would be our honor. Please email us at [email protected] Rest assured, we will bring your request before the Lord.