Become a faithful prayer warrior lifting up the needs of prisoners and speaking blessings into their lives.
For any prison ministry to be truly effective, it must have a solid foundation of prayer. In prayer we call upon God for resources that He alone can provide in our battle against the spiritual forces of darkness.
If you are part of an in-prison ministry, you know that prisoners have many prayer needs. They desperately want prayer for themselves, their families, and their future reentry back into society. All you have to do is say, “May I pray for you?” Prayer touches the deepest hurts of those who feel so lost, lonely, and unwanted by the world.
Every in-prison ministry team needs prayer warriors lifting up the needs of the prisoners as well as ministry volunteers. But prayer ministry for prisoners does not require going to the prison. Even if you’ve never been inside a prison or jail, you can be a prayer warrior interceding before the throne of God for those who are incarcerated.
You can simply gather at a friend’s house with a few other intercessors and pray for prisoners. If your church has a prison ministry, ask them to start sending you the prayer requests so you can lift them before the Lord.
Even when you don’t know specific needs to pray for, you can seek God’s power and provision for a variety of general needs.
Want to encourage people to pray for prisoners? Download and share this prayer list with others in your church or with anyone you know who feels called to intercessory prayer. Here is a list of common prayer needs of prisoners.
PRAYER NEEDS OF PRISONERS
THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
Pray for prisoners and their relationship with God, that they would:
- Experience His love
- Accept Christ as Savior
- Allow God to work in them and accomplish His purpose in their lives
- Earnestly seek God and get involved with chapel services and other Christian programming offered within the prison
Pray for prisoners to grow in godly attributes, that they would:
- Respect the authority of the prison staff
- Be able to control their temper
- Exhibit the fruit of the Spirit
- Experience genuine remorse for the harm they have caused their victims, and that they would seek to make amends as appropriate and possible
THEIR RELATIONSHIPS WITH THEIR FAMILIES
Pray for prisoners’ relationships with their families, that they will:
- Be committed to keeping in touch with their spouse and children
- Be able to maintain a strong connection with their family, despite being separated
- Experience reconciliation in strained or broken relationships
THEIR RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER PRISONERS
Pray for prisoners and their relationships with other prisoners, that they will:
- Make godly friends to support and encourage them
- Stay away from harmful associations that will lead them astray
- Be a friend to the lonely, the discouraged, the lost
Pray for prisoners’ protection, that they would:
- Resist the snares of the evil one, Satan
- Shun drugs and other types of contraband that get into prison
- Be safe from sexual assault and other forms of victimization
- Be healthy and free from serious illness
Pray for prisoners and their future, that they would:
- Take advantage of prison programs to enhance their educational and vocational skills
- Be wise in the use of their God-given talents
- Seek the wisdom and resources they need to adjust to reentering society: job, housing, supportive friends, etc.
THEIR SPIRITUAL MATURITY
Pray that Christian prisoners will:
- Remain strong in their faith
- Find a volunteer mentor to encourage and disciple them
- Have strength and courage to witness to other prisoners
- Resist temptations and remain good role models
DOWNLOAD THIS RESOURCE
Download this resource. Once downloaded, you can print, save, or share the pages with others.
Prayer For Christian Prisoners
Loving Heavenly Father, we pray for the many Christians who are being held in prisons, both at home and abroad, simply because they trust in the Lord Jesus as Savior. Many have been falsely accused of crimes or deliberately set up to fall foul of the law simply because they are believers in your name.
Lord we pray that you would be with each one in their imprisonment. Break any bonds of fear and bitterness; and may the love of Jesus be shown forth in their actions and attitudes, so that those with whom they have to interact, recognize that there is something very special about both them and the God they serve.
Set each one free, we pray, not only from their physical incarceration but also from their spiritual prison. Help them to rest in the Lord Jesus, knowing that in a small part they are participating in the fellowship of his suffering.
Use each one as a witness of Jesus Christ; and may many be drawn into the Kingdom of God, simply because of the gracious love they display in their time of great difficulty.
In Jesus’s name we pray.
PRAYER FOR PRISONERS
OFFER 1 BLUE AND 1 WHITE CANDLE
MOTHER OF SICKNESS
WITH JUST A WAVE OF YOUR RIGHT HAND
YOU CAN HAVE ANY DISEASE COME AND GO AT YOUR WILL
YOU HEAL AND CURE ANY NATURAL OR SUPERNATURAL ILLNESS
AND BREAK ANY SPELL OR HEX PLACED UPON YOUR FAITHFUL TO ATTACK THEIR HEALTH
YOU ARE THE GUARDIAN OF THE DISABLE AND ABUSED WOMEN AND CHILDREN
YOU KEEP SAFE THE RUNAWAYS,HOOKERS AND THE HOMELESS DAY AND NIGHT
YOU WATCH OVER AND PROTECT ALL INMATES AND PRISONERS AND COME TO AID OF ANYONE WHO CRIES OUT THY HOLY NAME
MOTHER OF SICKNESS
TONIGHT I COME BEFORE THEE ON BEHALF OF ALL MY FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS,FOR MYSELF AND MY LOVE ONES AND MY FAMILY LOCKED UP IN PRISON
PLEASE I BEG THEE TO HEAR MY PRAYER FROM MY HEART FOR HEARTACHE OF THE LOVE ONES LEFT BEHIND,WAITING AND PRAYING FOR A LOVE ONE IN PRISON
PLEASE WATCH OVER THEM AND KEEP THEM SAFE
TOUCH THEIR HEART AND SOULS WHILE THEY ARE THERE
GIVE THEM INSIGHT INTO YOUR WAYS AND GUIDE THEM ON THE PATH OF THE SANTISIMA MUERTE
SO THAT THEY MAY LEARN AND GROW WHILE LOCKED UP IN PRISON
GIVE THEM A DEEP DESIRE TO CHANGE AND BE A BETTER PERSON
AND BREAK ALL OF THE PAST CHAINS AND BONDS THAT TOOK THEM FROM YOUR GRACE
GIVE THEM HOPE AND LOVE IN THEIR HEARTS AND SOULS
I PRAY THAT YOU GRANT ALL THE PRISONERS AND INMATES YOUR MOST DIVINE INTERCESSION BEFORE THEE ALMIGHTY GOD