Table of contents
- 1 Prayer for Husband and Wife
- 2 Praying Together
- 3 Praying for My Husband
- 4 Praying with an Outline
- 5 CONCERNING HIS HEART – LORD I PRAY:
- 6 WITH HIS MIND, I PRAY:
- 7 WITH HIS EYES, I PRAY:
- 8 CONCERNING HIS EARS, I PRAY:
- 9 WITH HIS MOUTH, I PRAY:
- 10 WITH HIS ARMS, I PRAY:
- 11 WITH HIS HANDS:
- 12 CONCERNING MY HUSBAND’S LEGS, I PRAY:
- 13 FOR HIS FEET, I PRAY:
Prayer for Husband and Wife
Prayer for Marriage
- Marriage Prayers: Wives, pray this prayer for husband…
Heavenly Father, I thank you for my husband. I thank you for all that he does on a daily basis to keep our family stable. I pray that you would continue to grace him to do all that you have purposed for him to do, and that your will for his life would be made clear.
I pray that you would grant him wisdom and knowledge so that he can make Godly decisions in our home, and at his work place.
I pray that he would find favor wherever he goes, and that he would be a blessing to everyone he meets. Help him to be a Godly husband to me, and a Godly father to our children.
Let him be a man of influence for you. Let others look upon him and see the hope of your glory.
Enable him to see himself as you see him, he is more than a conquer, and he can do all things through your strength. Father, silence all other voices in his mind, and his social
circle that would tear him down and give him confidence and boldness in you Lord.
Help him to come to know you more and more every day, and to seek your face and not the approval of man. Teach him to hear and follow your voice, in Jesus name, Amen.
- Marriage Prayers: Wives, pray this prayer for yourself…
Heavenly Father, I pray on today that you would help me to be a better wife to my husband. Teach me your ways oh Lord so that I may know them, and so that you would be pleased with
Help me to show my husband honor as unto you Lord, and encourage him in all that he does. Help me to submit to his authority and not rebel.
For to rebel against him, is to rebel against you. Give me discernment Lord to know what to say, how to say it, and when not to say anything at all. Fill my mouth with good things so that I can build him up with my words.
Let me be that safe, soft place that he can rest on when the world has beaten him down. Let me be the lifter of his head.
I thank you for making me a suitable help meet for him. Thank you for making me a Godly wife, so that you may be glorified. In Jesus name, Amen.
Prayer for Husband and Wife
Prayer for Marriage
- Marriage Prayers: A prayer for husband to pray for his wife…
Father God, I thank you for my wife. I thank you for all that she does on a daily basis to make sure our home runs smoothly. I pray that you would continue to give her grace, and that she
would not ever feel overwhelmed.
I pray that she would know her worth and her beauty, show her that she is fearfully and wonderfully made. Let her know that you have a plan to prosper her, and not harm her. Let her know that she does have a future and hope through you.
Reveal to her your perfect plan for her life so that she may do only that which is pleasing to you. Help her to prioritize, and give her the boldness to say no when she needs to.
Let her be the Godly woman you are calling her to be, and a Godly mother to our children. Give her strength to stand firm, and press through the hard times in her life.
Help her not to be anxious about anything but to always make her request known to you by prayer.
Draw her into a closer relationship with you that she may truly know you as her Father, her source. Speak to her in times of quietness and always direct her path as she places her trust in you. In Jesus name, Amen.
- Marriage Prayers: Husbands, pray this prayer for yourself…
Father God, help me to be a better husband to my wife. Teach me how to make her my number one priority and demonstrate to her her true value. Let my actions and decisions be trust worthy, and fair. Show me how to listen to her and welcome her counsel in my times of decision making.
Make me aware of any plan, or scheme the enemy has launched against my wife so that I may stand against the adversary by the power of your might. Help me to be a lover of your word so
that I may fight the enemy’s attacks with your word!
Teach me not be overbearing where she is concerned, and never demanding. But instead show me how to demonstrate your perfect love to her. Help me to love her as you love the church. In
Jesus name, Amen.
Finished Reading Prayer for Husband and Wife? Choose Another Topic:
Prayer for Finances
Prayer for the Day
Prayer for Forgiveness
End of Prayer for husband
Praying for your children? Most moms would agree that comes easy. But praying for your husband? Who does that regularly? In our busy lives, husbands sometimes get left behind. We find the time to pray for our children, and may even participate in mothers’ prayer groups, but praying for our husbands is a different matter. This can make it a struggle when we wake up to how important it is to pray for our spouse. So here are six short and effective prayers inspired by the letters of Saint Paul that you can try right away, without waiting for Father’s Day.
1. So my husband knows the love of God
“So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God” (Letter of Saint Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians 3: 17-19).
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I place myself in Your presence and beg you to enshroud the heart of my husband with Your Sacred Heart. Help him to have complete faith in You. May Your love be deeply rooted in him, and may this Love shines in our lives. Help my husband to know Your infinite mercy so he understands that Your Love is more real than any earthly experience. Amen.
2. So he can fulfill his vocation as husband
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself” (Letter of Saint Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians 5: 25-28).
Prayer: Lord, according to Your will, help my husband to draw closer to holiness through the sacrament of our marriage. Fill his heart with Your Love, and help him to fulfill his vocation by following Your path. Amen.
3. For my husband to teach our children Your love
“Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Letter of Saint Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians 6: 4).
Prayer: Holy Spirit, fill the heart of my husband with Your peace, so that through him he may show your love to our children. Give him the patience and the necessary wisdom to raise our children in purity and in faith. Help him to guide our children towards the right path and to encourage them to stay close to You. Amen
4. For the well-being of our family
“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Letter of Saint Paul the Apostle to the Philippians 4: 19).
Prayer: Lord, You know what we truly need. I ask You to give my husband the grace to use our resources with wisdom, to be ‘poor in spirit’ (Matthew 5: 3) and to be generous towards those in need. Amen.
5. That he should be the man You called him to be
“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love” (First letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians 16: 13-14).
Prayer: Lord, I entrust to You all the decisions of my husband, his projects, his worries, and his entire being. Help him to be strong in Your Love and anchored in faith. Give him the strength to be the man that You’ve called him to be: courageous, happy, and generous. Help him to grow in faith, hope, and charity. Amen.
6. That my husband acts with wisdom and discernment
“I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength.” (Letter of Saint Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians 1, 16-19).
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (Letter of Saint James the Apostle 1: 5).
Prayer: Lord Jesus, You who went about doing good, I ask You to give my husband the grace to follow in Your steps. Give him the strength to advance with wisdom and to have the awareness of how his choices will impact on our family. May his heart shine with the light of the Holy Spirit so he can move ahead with assurance and confidence, whatever the obstacles he might face. Amen.
And one last prayer asking for the Virgin Mary’s intercession:
Virgin Mary, Mother of God, place your mantle around my husband so that he will obtain the necessary graces to be the protector of our family, as Saint Joseph was. By your maternal embrace, O Mary, pray that he may be granted a great sense of security so he will never feel abandoned. Amen.
This article was originally published in the French edition of Aleteia.
by Shaila Touchton (USA)
Heavenly Father, I sincerely thank You from the bottom of my heart for your continued blessings on our marriage and for my husband. Lord Jesus, grant that I and my husband may have a true understanding, a gentle compassion ,trust, love and care for each other, and help us to be an example for our children .
Remove all temptation from us and bless him to be captivated by my love till death and make of our relationship successful and holy adventure which bring us together in heart and mind as well as body.
Bless my marriage to be a breeding place for your presence and love and please hear our prayers for each other. Bless his thoughts, words and actions and help him to grow spiritually. I pray Lord Jesus , for my husband as provider and protector in this marriage and for my husband ‘ s safety from all harm and give him a Perfect Health.
I pray Lord our Father for my husband ‘ s financial planning decisions. Bless him to receive showers of blessings from you as he makes Godly decisions that will affect us both and make his decisions to be wise and Godly.
Bless my husband to find me attractive inside as well as outside as we keep our marriage alive, through Jesus Christ who brought us together. I sincerely surrender my self, my husband and our marriage, our family our conflicts, our fears and troubles to you, to your love, care and guidance. In Jesus ‘ name I pray. Amen.
Return to Prayers for Strength and Guidance
There is most nothing you can do as important as uniting with God and praying for your husband. We can do many things that can help our spouse. But God can do amazing things for him, beyond our “good” things —no doubt! Your prayer for your husband can bring about many amazing things because God answers prayer.
A number of years ago I was talking with a friend at a Bible study. She told me something she did that changed her whole marriage for the better. God impressed upon her to simply start praying for her husband regularly. She told me she didn’t know why it hadn’t occurred to her to do this every day before then. But when she started praying so many things changed. It especially changed her attitude towards her husband. She fell more in love with him and with God.
Eventually, she and her husband began praying together every morning. That really changed their marriage in impactful ways. As she said, they had a pretty good marriage before praying together. But their relationship went from okay/good to great. So of course, they never stopped praying. And neither have we. Steve and I started the same great “habit” from that day forward. It’s now a part of our morning to pray together to start the day off right.
I also pray for Steve separately, and he prays for me. But we also pray together each morning. I can’t emphasize how much closer we are to each other and to God, as a result.
Praying for My Husband
God all the more showed me the importance of praying for Steve several years back. I was angry at him for leaving his clothes hangers out after he changed clothes and left for the morning. (I wrote a blog about it in an article titled, Praying Over Hangers.) God impressed upon me to stop being mad at him. I was to instead be thankful that I have him. (I have a lot of friends who are widowed. They would love to pick up their husband’s hangers.) God told me I was to pray for the man who was now wearing those clothes that those hangers held. I was to pray for this man who faithfully went to work every morning.
So I did. And it changed my angry heart to one that was thankful to God for giving me Steve. I was also thankful to Steve for being such a hard worker, and a good man. Yes, he left his hangers out sometimes. But yes, it also gave me reminders to pray for him. I should have been praying more for Steve than I was. He’s not a lazy man. He was just a forgetful one at times. I sure have my forgetful times too.
Praying with an Outline
Over the years I’ve prayed for Steve with and without prayer aids. I feel like when I use an outline, I’m able to better give my husband prayer coverage, as his marriage partner.
Recently, I came up with the following prayer outline (based on scripture). I’m passing it to you. You can use it as a launching point, to pray for your own husband, from head to toe. This includes his heart, mind, and body. You can use it verbatim, or adapt it. Or you can use it to start praying in a certain direction —and then praying as the Holy Spirit leads.
Please use it and see what you think (just fill in the blanks with your husband’s name).
CONCERNING HIS HEART – LORD I PRAY:
- Please remind _____ to “to be careful” to grow and show his love for you with all his “heart, soul, and might.” Help him to “fear the Lord” and live out your word. (Deuteronomy 6:5 and Deuteronomy 6:2)
- Throughout the day, when he is tempted, please remind my husband to guard and “keep” his “heart with all vigilance.” (Proverbs 4:23)
- Please give my husband “a new heart and a new spirit.” Put your spirit within him wherever hardness of heart is starting to grab hold. Guide him to “walk” in your ways. (Ezekiel 36:26-27)
- Where needed, please “create” within _____ a “clean heart” and “renew a right spirit” within him. Cast him “not away” from your presence. “Take not your Holy Spirit away.” Reveal to him that he is close to your heart, so may be inspired to hold you close to his. (Psalm 51:10-11)
- Through our “Wonderful Counselor” —the Holy Spirit, please guide _____ not to “lean” upon his “own understanding” of that, which he cannot make sense of. Help him instead to “acknowledge” and “trust in the Lord” with all his heart, so you can “make straight” his paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- Remind _____ that no matter what comes his way, to “let the peace of Christ rule” and to let the “word of Christ dwell” within his heart, teaching him in “all wisdom.” (Colossians 3:15-16)
WITH HIS MIND, I PRAY:
- Please help ______ to “be encouraged …knit together” in your love. Guide him to reach for “understanding” within the treasures of your wisdom and knowledge. (Colossians 2:2-3)
- Help _____ to realize that he MUST “destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5)
- In this world of temptation, please help my husband to “set” his mind “on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” May your priorities, become his priorities. (Colossians 3:2)
- Bring to my husband’s mind those things that you would have him “think about.” May they be things, which are “true …honorable …just …pure …lovely …commendable.” “If there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise” guide him to go there with his thoughts and attitude. (Philippians 4:8)
- Despite all obstacles ______ encounters, convict and guide him not to “be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal” of his mind. Help him so he may discern your will. (Romans 12:2)
WITH HIS EYES, I PRAY:
- Please strengthen, and show ______ the importance of, and how to turn his eyes away from “looking at worthless things.” Direct him to seek “life in your ways.” (Psalm 119:37)
- Open my husband’s “eyes” that he “may behold wondrous things out of Your law.” Guide him as he follows You and lives according to Your Word. (Psalm 119:18)
- Please help _____ not to “lose heart” despite all the obstacles he encounters. Help him to see trials as “light momentary affliction” in comparison to all you have prepared for your followers. Guide him to focus on “things that are seen, but on the things that are unseen.” (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)
- Lord, remind my husband to “be sober-minded, and watchful” as the enemy of our faith is working overtime to “devour” those who are not on the alert. Give him power to “resist”, being “firm” in his faith even when he sees others fall into temptation. (1 Peter 5:8-9)
CONCERNING HIS EARS, I PRAY:
- May our Holy Spirit help ____ to grow in FAITH. Remind him that knowledge “comes from hearing and hearing through the word of Christ.” Please give him a hunger and a thirst to hear more, and to study Your Word, applying what he learns into his life. (Romans 10:17)
- Please open my husband’s ears to clearly hear your voice. Give him opportunities to open the door of his heart wider so you “will come in” and he will partake and have full fellowship and communion with you. (Revelation 3:20)
- Lord, please work within ____ to “not turn backward” and not to be “rebellious” in the way he lives. Open his ears to hear your promptings —not to turn away from you, or from me, should he be tempted. (Isaiah 50:5)
- Guide my husband to be a “doer of the word” and not a “hearer only.” I ask that you lead him so he follows through and does that, which you show him to do. And may he “be blessed in his doing.” (James 1:22-25)
WITH HIS MOUTH, I PRAY:
- Whenever he talks, please “set a guard” over his mouth. “Keep watch over the door” of my husband’s lips. (Psalm 141:3)
- If ______ feels threatened by those who would do him harm, give him bold confidence. And please give him the opportunity to speak your message to them. (Acts 4:29)
- “Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking” come out of his mouth. “Instead let there be thanksgiving,” and words of grace spoken to everyone _____ encounters. (Ephesians 5:4)
- Please help _____ to “walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.” Guide him so his speech is “gracious, seasoned with salt,” so he may know how he “ought to answer each person.” (Colossians 4:5-6)
- For _____ I pray that you help him so he “honors Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks for a reason for the hope” that is in him. (1 Peter 3:15)
WITH HIS ARMS, I PRAY:
- Please give _____ the strength he needs, especially when he feels weak. There is no doubt that your “grace is sufficient” and your “power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)
WITH HIS HANDS:
- “I desire that in every place” —no matter where, or what is going on at the time that is upsetting my husband, he will first “pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling.” (1 Timothy 2:8)
- I pray that whatever my husband’s “hand finds to do” —whether he’s at home, his job, or elsewhere, as long as it lines up with your will, he will be led to do it with all of his might. Lead him to put in his best effort, gaining your favor. (Ecclesiastes 9:10)
- May _____ never let go of you. May he hold onto you continually as you remind him that you “hold” his “right hand.” Let him know you are there for him, (Psalm 73:23) and that I am supporting him in prayer.
CONCERNING MY HUSBAND’S LEGS, I PRAY:
- When the enemy of our faith is after ____ I pray you will make him aware that he has access to “take up the whole armor of God.” This way he “may be able to withstand in the evil day.” “Then, “Having done all” please help him to stand firm in your strength. (Ephesians 6:13)
- Thank you for the “great cloud of witnesses” that surrounds _____. Remind him to “lay aside every weight, and sin, which clings so closely.” Empower him to “run with endurance the race” set before him “looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith.” (Hebrews 12:1)
FOR HIS FEET, I PRAY:
- When my husband feels weighted by cares that are dragging him down, please draw him up from that messy, difficult place. “Set” his feet upon a secure place —with Jesus as his “rock.” With Your empowering he will no longer be shaken or feel insecure. (Psalm 40:2)
- Whatever _____ is facing today, keep his “soul among the living.” Protect him, and do not let his “feet slip.” May he remain steadfast in your protective care! (Psalm 66:9)
- I pray for God’s full armor to surround my husband, including spiritual “shoes” for his feet. This way he is fully prepared, firmly planted in Christ when attacks come his way. Empower him to live in “readiness given by the gospel of peace.” Strengthen him to walk in faithfulness, the path God has for him. (Ephesians 6:15)
Cindy Wright of Marriage Missions International wrote this prayer sheet.
Tagged: pray for spouse, prayer for spouse, praying for husband
Filed under: For Married Women Spiritual Matters