Pray for the Nation ~ Inoi Mo Te Motu
Intercessors for New Zealand
Pray for the Nation was started by Brian Caughley in January 1972, after receiving a word from God to call Christians to “Pray for the Nation”. After a few years, when other similar Intercessors organisations started in several other countries, it became also known as Intercessors for New Zealand. Both names are still used today.
Pray for the Nation specifically aims to encourage prayer, and present Bible teaching, which exhorts Christians to pray regularly and specifically for their nation – for revival and evangelism, the Church, the Government and the Nation.
The vision is based, in part, on the following Scriptures:
2 Chronicles 7:14; Proverbs 14:34; Jeremiah 29:7 and 1 Timothy 2:1-4
The AIMS of Pray for the Nation are:
- To glorify God by uniting Christians throughout the nation in praying regularly and specifically for our nation, the government and the Church; for revival and evangelism.
- To encourage them to continue to pray for revival until God sends such a revival.
- To instruct in the ministry of intercession, so that Christians will be more effective in intercessory prayer.
- To share with Christians specific prayer suggestions related to these aims, so that they can pray more intelligently and specifically.
For further information on Pray for the Nation, please click the About Us tab on the left.
Pray for the Nation …
to see God glorified in our nation!
“Nothing was more pressing than that the nations and multitudes who are marching to a Christless eternity should be saved. How I saw the agendas of men: so many and varied and all of such vital importance to them, but there was only one paramount agenda to God: The nations. I instantly realized that the entire task of the glorious triune God was completely and utterly devotedto this one supreme purpose for which Jesus had so freely given His life. All else was rather trivial in comparison and we all had majored on the trivial.” – Michael Howard
A few days ago most Americans were fixed on the television as they watched the inauggeration of a new president. It was quite a momentous occasion to say the least – Parades, dinners, ballroom dancing, speeches, prayers, and so much more. So many travelled for miles to watch the transference of power and to possibly get a quick glimpse of the new president as his car drove by. So much is at stake when we think of the nations and as we think of the transference of power on that one day. There were riots and protests with those who were opposed to the new presidency. I was struck afresh in my own heart about the desperate need to diligently pray daily for our nation.
As a young missionary I lived for years on a ship that sailed from nation to nation. Although it was not always easy at sea, it was perhaps one of the greatest privileges of my life. While at sea for days with our ship bobbing up and down in the vast and seemingly limitless ocean, it would be easy to feel low or even seasick. It was during those times that I found it was a prime opportunity to seek to see things from God’s point of view. Undistracted by the busyness of the usual routines, I was able to look at God’s world and take time to hear His heart of love for the nations. His heart is full of compassion for the world and the desperation of mankind.
What does this mean to us as intercessors and as a people who want to grow in prayer? Our focus should also include the world, the nations (especially our own), and the cities around us. We are the ones who can impact our nation through our prayers. I’ve heard it said that history belongs to the intercessors.
God is looking to and fro across this whole earth to find those whose hearts are as His heart, those who will intercede for the nations. Will you be one to stand in the gap for your nation? God is looking for intercessors (Isaiah 59:16). Will you let God lay a nation on your heart for the purpose of prayer? God wants to give us His passion for the world. A key to our authority is when our heartbeat aligns with the heartbeat of our Almighty God. He desires to use each one of us in a powerful way to touch our own nation. Let’s discipline our lives to include pray for our nation and other nations on a daily basis. But how can we do this?
How to Pray for Your Nation
“The only condition that is to give worldwide power to this Gospel is prayer, and the spread of this Gospel will depend on prayer. The energy that is to give it marvelous momentum and conquering power over all its malignant and powerful foes is the energy of prayer.” – E. M. Bounds
I encourage you to pray for your nation every day. As you grow in praying for your nation, let God burden your heart for different parts of the world. Ask Him to lay a burden on your heart for other nations, unreached people groups, and other regions of the world. You may want to pray for troubled areas of the world and people you hear about on the news – the refugees, earthquake victims, war-torn areas, and so on. God wants every one of us to open our eyes, enlarge our vision, and begin to pray for the needy world around us.
There are many ways to effectively pray. Some intercessors like to pray through prayer cards with prayer requests for different nations. Others like to pray over a large map of a country. Some like to use the book Operation World that has detailed requests for every nation. Each way is good, but the main thing is to begin. Adding countries into your prayer life develops your effectiveness in a powerful way. Your burden for the world grows, and you begin to see the world and life in a new way. Our own problems seem smaller when we focus on the needs of whole nations and people groups.
Here are several points of prayer for your nation with Bible verses to help you. During your time of prayer, God may have you focus strongly on one or on a few of these items. Be creative, be led by the Holy Spirit, and use the Scriptures in your prayers. Don’t think you have to pray through the whole list, but let God direct you by His Spirit. Here’s how:
- Thank God for how He is working in the nations –“How awesome is the Lord most High, the great King is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth! God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne” (Psalm 47:2, 8).
- Pray for unity in the body of Christ –“I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me” (John 17:23).
- Pray for revival among God’s people – “Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?” (Psalm 85:6).
- Pray for your governmental and spiritual leaders –“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness” (1 Timothy 2:1-2).
- Pray that God’s people will walk in holiness and obedience –“Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God” (2 Corinthians 7:1).
- Pray for the fear of the Lord in your land – “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7).
- Pray for God to send His workers into the harvest field – “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-20).
- Pray that the Church will reach out to the poor, needy and imprisoned –“Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering” (Hebrews 13:3).
- Pray for the salvation of the lost –“And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Acts 2:21).
- Pray that God will use children and youth mightily for His glory – “At that time Jesus said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children’” (Matthew 11:25).
- Pray for just laws and righteous moral standards –“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:34).
- Pray that the Word of God will be given its rightful place –“Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them” (Psalm 119:129).
- Pray that Houses of Prayer and worship will start in every major city in your nation – “These will I bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations” (Isaiah 56:7).
- Pray that God’s people will know how to effectively wage spiritual warfare – “Finally be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes”(Ephesians 6:10-11).
- Pray the promises of God in His Word over the nations – “The nations will fear the name of the Lord, all the kings of the earth will revere your glory” (Psalm 102:15).
Praying for the nations has rewards that will endure throughout all eternity. This may be one of the most strategic things we ever do. One day we will worship God around the throne in heaven with people from every tribe and tongue and nation (Revelation 5:9). We will then realize the value of every prayer we prayed for a nation while we were on the earth. Are you willing today to pray daily for your nation? Are you willing to invest your time in a task that is so rewarding?
11 Breakthrough Prayers to Empower Your Life in 2017!“While I am very excited about what is happening, yet as an intercessor, I can never forget that over half of the world’s population has never heard of Jesus. The task ahead is still enormous. As darkness covers the earth in the last days and darkens the people, the glory of the Lord will shine brighter and brighter in the face of a people who love Him absolutely and uncomprisingly. In this way, the whole world will know that there is a God who reigns in the Heavens and man will be left without excuse on the day of Christ’s appearing. The Spirit is still heralding a call for watchmen to join the great choir of intercessors.” Michael Howard
Together in the Harvest,
Intercessors Arise International
International House of Prayer Kansas City (IHOPKC)
You are here:
Home >> Scripture Prayers >> Praying For The Nations
All nations around the world are included in this prayer. Or you can pray for an individual nation such as “the nation of _______.”
I had never really thought about praying for the nations, until I became a prayer leader. But this is a prayer we need to pray everyday, particularly for nations that are oppressed.
Praying For The Nations
Joel 3:12………..Let the nations be awakened!
Isa 1:2…………..Let the earth hear the voice of the Lord!
Ps 9:20…………Judge the nations in Your sight, Father, and put them to fear,
Ps 9:20………….that they might know themselves to be but men.
Rom 8:22……….Father, the whole creation groans and labors
Rom 8:21……….to be delivered from the bondage of corruption,
Rom 8:21……….into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
Jn 15:26………..Send forth Your Spirit of Truth to bear witness of You,
Jn 16:8………….and to convict the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment.
Eze 14:6……….Cause them to repent and to turn from their idols.
Hag 2:7…………Shake the nations, so they will come to the Desire of All Nations(Jesus).
Num 23:24……..Father, cause Your people to rise up.
Joel 3:11……….Gather Your mighty ones to prepare for war.
Joel 3:14……….Bring the multitudes into the valley of decision.
Jer 49:14……….Send Your ambassadors into all the nations.
Col. 4:3…………Open to them a door for the Word, to speak the mystery of Christ,
Mt 24:14………..that the gospel of the kingdom may be preached in all the world.
Ps 111:6……….You have declared to Your people the power of Your works,
Ps 111:6………..in giving them the heritage of the nations.
Phil 2:10………..Let every knee bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord!
Isa 61:11………..Cause righteousness and praise to spring forth.
Hab 2:14………..Let the earth be filled with the knowledge of the glory
Hab 2:14………..of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.
Isa 43:9………….Father, gather the nations together,
Ps 22:27…………that they may worship Thee,
Ps 46:10…………and exult Thee in all the earth.
Gal 3:8……………Let all the nations be blessed through Your people,
Zech 14:14………and let the wealth of the heathen be gathered together
2Kin 22:5………..and be delivered into the hands of Your people for the work of the Lord.
Isa. 49:6…………Send forth Your salvation to the ends of the earth,
Mk 12:36………..and make Your enemies to be Your footstool.
print this page
Click here to download a Praying in Victory pdf 369k
Pass out pages to your family, friends, and congregation.
Print your own pages at prayinginvictory.com
Prophet Victor Kusi Boateng leads Prophet Emmanuel Makandiwa and his wife Prophetess Ruth in conducting the Holy Communion during a service at the City Sports Centre in Harare yesterday. — Picture by Munyaradzi Chamalimba
Lovemore Chikova and Paidamoyo Chipunza
Prayers for the well-being of Zimbabwe, President Mugabe and the country’s entire leadership dominated proceedings of most churches during Easter conferences held in various parts of the country which ended yesterday.
Some churches took advantage of the conferences to pray for a quick turnaround of the economy which has been affected by the West’s illegal sanctions regime.
At the United Family International Church’s convention held at the City Sports Centre in Harare, Prophet Emmanuel Makandiwa led the congregation in praying for the nation, President Mugabe and the leadership.
In the weeks preceding the conference, Prophet Makandiwa had emphasised to his church members the importance of praying for the country’s leadership and especially President Mugabe since the Bible instructs Christians to respect authority.
He also said it was not proper for Christians to despise the country’s President.
This was then emphasised by Prophet Makandiwa’s spiritual father and Ghanaian acclaimed Prophet Victor Kusi Boateng who spoke at the UFIC conference urging Christians from all denominations in the country to pray for those in leadership.
Prophet Boateng said churches should continue to play their role in communities.
The UFIC Easter conference was attended by thousands of people from Zimbabwe and others from Malawi, Zambia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, United States, Britain and Australia.
Meanwhile, Prophetic Healing and Deliverance Ministries head of humanitarian Mrs Cathrine Nyangoni said the main word throughout their Easter celebrations was on hope as represented by Jesus’ resurrection.
“Prophet Walter Magaya’s message was centred more on hope, saying every situation, whatever it is, can be overcame similar to the resurrection of Jesus from death,” she said.
Faith Ministries’ Pastor Shingi Munyeza said they took advantage of Easter to ask God for quicker economic turnaround for Zimbabwe.
“We had an Easter conference throughout our churches,” he said. “Our focus on Zimbabwe was that our turnaround will be sooner than expected.
“We also prayed that we do not look to man for solutions to our problems, but that we look up to God.
“We prayed that our spiritual leaders will become accountable so as to set the example to political leaders.”
The Faith Ministries conference was held under the theme “Advancing Kingdom Territory”.
Anglican Diocese of Harare spokesperson Mr Precious Shumba said they took the opportunity during their Easter celebrations held at the Harare Gardens to dedicate the country to God.
“It’s a tradition within the Anglican Church that there is a prayer for the nation all the time,” he said. “So, as per tradition we had prayers for the country during the Easter celebrations.”
Family of God spokesperson Pastor Shuvai Wutawunashe said their Easter conference held at the Aquatic Complex in Chitungwiza and attended by delegates from different countries dedicated a special service on Saturday afternoon to pray for the “resurrection” of the country’s economy.
“Yesterday (Saturday) afternoon we had a special service where we prayed for the President’s health and continued wisdom,” she said.
“We also prayed for the resurrection of the country’s economy, our continent and an end to all social ills in today’s life.”
Pastor Wutaunashe said Zimbabweans had a role to play in the resurrection of the country’s economy through hard work in different areas of expertise as well as through prayer.
Zaoga Forward in Faith Manyame district pastor Jabulani Zondo said although they pray for the country all the time, Easter provided a unique opportunity to re-affirm the prayers.
“Jesus Christ died for our sins on the cross and resurrected from the dead on day three,” he said.
“His resurrection brought salvation to the people and we hope through continued prayer our country will be delivered.”