Leaders of churches and other organizations work very hard. I should know, I have been married to a preacher for many years. In addition to the regular activities such as leading church services and prayer meetings, many times the leaders in the church are called upon to do other things. These things might include visiting folks that are in the hospital, attending community events, providing counsel to people and even ministering to families that have lost a loved one. True, the leaders and pastors have been called to do these things but faithful prayers of the church are a blessing to these men of God. Here are 7 prayers for pastors or leaders that you might want to add to your prayer list.
Table of contents
- 1 Prayer for Faithfulness
- 2 Prayer for Quiet Time to Study the Word
- 3 Prayer for Rest & Good Health
- 4 Prayer for Provision
- 5 Prayer for Wisdom & Direction
- 6 Prayer for Fellowship & Good Godly Friends
- 7 How Do You Pray for your Pastor or Church Leaders?
- 8 A Prayer for Good to Prevail over Evil
- 9 A Prayer for Unity as a Church Body
- 10 A Prayer to Seek the Lord
- 11 A Prayer to Pursue Peace
- 12 A Prayer to Follow Jesus
Prayer for Faithfulness
Dear Lord, your word says many things about faithfulness, I pray now for our pastor that he will continue to be faithful to You and to Your church. Help him to always seek Your direction in his life and the life of Your church. I pray that he is faithful in all that he does, faithful to his commitments, faithful to his wife and family, faithful to his staff, but most of all I pray that he is always faithful to You in what you would have for him to do to accomplish Your plan for his life. Lord help him to be faithful to proclaim your name in all the earth. I praise you for this time that I have to offer up my prayer for faithfulness Lord and ask that you grant it in the name of Jesus, Amen.
Psalm 89:1 I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
Prayer for Quiet Time to Study the Word
Dear Lord, I am praying for my pastor (leader). I ask that You give him the time that he needs to be in Your word. I pray that You help us to remember why deacons were first elected in the church; so that the preachers might have time to be ministers of Your word. Help us to remember that we can do the things that need to be done that do not require the assistance of the preacher. Help us to give of our time and talent and to encourage others to do the same. I pray through Jesus, Amen.
Acts 6:1-4 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration. Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
Prayer for Rest & Good Health
Dear Heavenly Father, I ask for your blessing upon our pastor (leader) that he might receive the rest that he needs from his long hours of work. Help me to remember that I can help my pastor (leader) by offering to volunteer my time and talents to do the things that God has gifted me to do so my pastor (leader) does not have to take on that task. Help me to remember to let him know how much I appreciate the time and energy that he puts into each and every thing that he does. I pray that he is able to eat right and get proper exercise so that he can remain healthy for Your work. I raise up this prayer in the name of Your Son, Jesus, Amen.
Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Psalms 145:14-15 The Lord upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down. The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season.
Prayer for Provision
Dear God in Heaven, we love you and know that your promises in the Bible are true. Please hold our pastor in the palm of your hands as he continually walks by faith, knowing that you will provide for his every need as well as the needs of his family. Please help him to remember what Jesus said about your generosity and loving kindness. Help him to know that you know every hair on his head and that he is much more than any sparrow. I praise you for all that you have already done for my pastor and pray that you will continue to bless him with everything that he needs. I pray in the precious name of Jesus, Amen.
Luke 12:6-7 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.
Prayer for Wisdom & Direction
Dear God, I want to lift my pastor (leader) up to you in prayer. He needs Your wisdom and direction for Your church. Please keep him humble and always relying upon You to give him the perfect wisdom and direction that he needs. Help him to consider information offered by others and also to come to You in prayer as he evaluates things. Remind him of Your servant Solomon who when he was to become king prayed only for Your wisdom and because of his humility You granted even more than wisdom. I pray this in Jesus name, Amen
1 Kings 3:11-13 11 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.
Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.
Prayer for Fellowship & Good Godly Friends
Dear Father in Heaven, I pray that You will provide good and godly friends for my pastor. Friendships that will allow him to just be himself and will allow him to be held accountable as a brother in Christ. God he needs time away from the ministry to enjoy the fruit of his labor, I pray that You will provide good friends that will be his for a lifetime so that he may dwell together with them in unity. I pray that he is able to talk about the things of the Lord and that they may be able to encourage each other on how to remain faithful, committed and loving men of God. I pray these things by the power of Jesus name, Amen.
Psalms 133 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the Lord commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.
Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
How Do You Pray for your Pastor or Church Leaders?
Do you have special prayers that you offer for your leaders? Or perhaps you have something special that you do to bless your pastor or other leaders. We would love for you to share in the comments below.
The Holy Bible, King James Version
Would you like to get the daily question in your FB messenger? Just click the button below to get started.
Share this post
: | | | |
Intercession prayers are a great way to share some of the wisdom from God between your service and closing. Here are some intercessory prayers for the church that have been used before to help inspire you.
Lord, we pray for the favor of the Lord, the authority
of the Lord, and the harvest of the Lord to belong to
our pastor, church leaders and church. Teach us to do
our part in helping, serving, giving, teaching, or any
other area where there is a need. Teach us also how to
pray against all powers of this dark world and the
spiritual forces of darkness in heavenly realms. Lord,
protect us as we wage warfare in all levels of worship,
prayer and service on behalf of
Your servants who
lead us. We bind the evil forces of rebellion,
seduction, and presumption from attacking our pastor,
leaders and our church in Jesus name. We cast them
down, never more to rise and destroy; We declare they
are under our feet in Jesus name!
Raise up intercessors to uphold our pastor and leaders
every day of every week of the year. Also, let a spirit
of prayer and fasting abide with our pastor. Through
prayer, preaching and teaching, cause his ministry to
increase our effectiveness in the Kingdom.
Lord, grant our pastor and leaders boldness to
confront sin and have converts. “He who winneth
souls is wise.”Honour our pastor’s stand for You.
Come to his rescue. We claim a harvest for our
Grant Pastor and leaders deep convictions and high
moral standards. Do not allow them to tolerate
compromise and liberalism. Guard them from an
ambitious spirit. Increase their genuine desire for
souls. Lord, true promotion comes from You,
therefore, promote them in Your Kingdom, in Your
Grant Pastor and leaders increased ability to trust in
the Lord with all their heart. Let Pastor’s faith
increase, for by it we shall inherit the promises of
Bless our pastor and leaders with rich study time.
Give them special selected readings which are full of
truth, and nuggets that may in turn be taught to us. Let
them preach in the energy of the Holy Spirit. May the
people of our church be presented to You holy and
blameless as a result of Pastor’s preaching and our
Lord, as You answer these prayers for our leadership,
we become the recipients of Your blessings.
Therefore, do not withhold any good thing from them.
Cause their ways to be Your ways, that our paths may
be pleasing to You.
Jesus, bless our pastor’s preaching. Bring apostolic
results with signs and wonders following. Let Your
presence produce great conviction. Bring the sinner to
repentance. Bring the saint to holiness. Never let us be
intimidated by the ‘status quo.’
Lord, grant our pastor and leaders fruitfulness in
ministry. May conversions ‘stick,’May many become
disciples and bear their burdens well before You.
God, grant our pastor and leaders the ability to stand
firm for You. Surround our pastor and leaders with
men and women who’s hearts are trustworthy, who
walk with integrity, and who are continually thankful
for their own salvation.
Break off every root of bitterness with Your
tenderness. Heal us of any and all roots of idolatry,
intimidation, deception, immorality, false pride, and
presumption. Grant us new roots of holiness, and
abundant fruit of the Spirit that we may walk together
in unity of relationship.
We claim Psalm 133 for our pastor and leaders and
church. May we see Your standard for unity. May we
see lasting fruit as souls are won and kept for Your
Lord, grant us wisdom to build this church, and
understanding to establish it so it may continue to
stand for Your glory.
Apply the promise of Your peace to our pastor, and
leaders, and their families. Let them know the plans
You have to prosper them, to provide a great future
Bishop T. D. Jakes shares his powerful prayer of intercession during this sermon at Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship.
“Prayer meetings were the arteries of the early church. Through them, life-sustaining power was derived. The condition of the church may be very accurately gauged by its prayer meetings. So is the prayer meeting a grace-o-meter, and from it, we may judge of the amount of divine working among a people. If God is near a church, it must pray. And if He is not there, one of dying first tokens of His absence will be a slothfulness in prayer!” Charles Haddon Spurgeon
When is the last time you prayed for your church body? What about your pastor? Staff? Leadership? Have you prayed for your Sunday School teacher? Have you interceded on behalf of issues taking place in your church or decisions that need to be made?
Our churches are under the attack of the enemy like never before. Our leaders and each of our brothers and sisters in Christ need our prayers. We are the Body of Christ and we must lift one another up!
A Prayer for Good to Prevail over Evil
“‘As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones.’ Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.” Genesis 50:20
Lord, what the enemy means for evil against our church body, we believe You can use for good. Remind our hearts of this. When we are being attacked and crushed from all sides, remind us of Your faithfulness to use everything for Your good and Your glory. May we not fear but trust in Your provision for our church family. May we not only be readers of Your Word but believers and doers. Increase our faith, Lord.
A Prayer for Unity as a Church Body
“I, therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:1-3
God, help our church body to walk in a manner worthy of the calling You have given us. Help us in all our interactions with one another to have humble and gentle hearts. Grant us patience for one another, bearing with one another in love. Grant the Body of Christ unity. May we walk humbly with You, God, allowing You to show us our wrongs.
A Prayer to Seek the Lord
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place.” 2 Chronicles 7:14-15
Lord, You have told us in Your Word that You hear our prayers. We are crying out to You, we are humbling ourselves before You and seeking Your face. We come together as a church body to seek You. We repent and turn from our wicked ways, thank You for hearing us. Thank you for Your forgiveness and healing.
A Prayer to Pursue Peace
“So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.” Romans 14:19
Father God, You desire peace and unity and encouragement for our body of believers. Help us, Lord, to pursue what makes for peace and for building one another up. To pursue the things You will lead to peace and unity. Give us discerning hearts to know Your will and give us the courage to be obedient. Lord, we know that without You and Your Holy Spirit indwelling each of us, we cannot do any of these things. But, with You and for Your glory, grant our body peace and unity.
SEE ALSO: The Lord’s Prayer – Our Father – Be Encouraged and Strengthened!
A Prayer to Follow Jesus
“And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.” Luke 9:23-24
Lord, You have given us what seems like an impossible task with this passage. You have asked us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow You. Even when our spirits are willing, the flesh is weak. You know our hearts, Father. Help us, with Your Holy Spirit, to examine our hearts and hear from You. The longer we walk with You, the more we look like You. We desire to become more and more like You, less selfish and more selfless, willing to deny ourselves in any and all situations. You have told us that when we lose our life for Your sake, we will save it. Save us from ourselves, God.
As we lift up these words for our churches, let us come before God with humility and a willingness to obey. Let us put others first and serve our brothers and sisters in Christ. May we seek God first, putting aside our own desires. May we become intercessors for our brothers and sisters in Christ. May we pray more and criticize less. May we be encouragers and uplifters.
Candace Crabtree is just a broken mama thankful for grace and new mercies every morning. She and her husband live in East Tennessee where they homeschool their 3 kids. Candace also enjoys teaching piano, coffee, good books and blogging at His Mercy Is New. On her blog, she shares encouragement for weary women from God’s Word along with resources for learning to pray the Scriptures.
Publication date: July 7, 2016
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with a prayer read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
SEE ALSO: 10 Morning Prayers to Use Daily
The following is from Pray Magazine…
Pastors are under attack today as never before. That is why it is so important to hold them up in prayer. But unless they have requests or are aware of specific needs their pastors have, many people do not know what to pray on a regular basis for them.
Here are some sample Scripture-based prayers. Each one was written with a specific need in mind. You can use them one at a time, or pray all of them in the order you feel is best for the spiritual needs of your pastor.
These prayers are simply models and suggestions. Use them to get started or to get ideas about what to pray.
- I thank You, Father, that Your eyes are on my shepherd and Your ears are attentive to my pastor’s prayers and Your face is against those who plot evil against my pastor (1 Pet. 3:12). For I know that in all things You work for the good of _____ (insert your pastor’s name) who loves You (Ro. 8:28). Who can accuse this pastor who is daily interceded for by Christ Jesus? (Ro. 8:33–34). Therefore, in all things my pastor is more than a conqueror (Ro. 8:37). Thank You, God.
- Lord, I pray for discernment in exposing any schemes of the enemy against my pastor. Show our congregation how to pray against all powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of darkness in heavenly realms. And, Lord, protect us as we wage warfare on behalf of our pastor (Eph. 6:11–12).
- Father, I thank You that no weapons formed against my pastor will prosper. Every tongue raised against my shepherd will be cast down. Rumors and gossip will be turned aside. For _____ will be still before the Lord and wait on You. My pastor will dwell in the shadow of the Most High God and will be delivered from terror, darts of doubt, and diseases (Ps. 91:5–6). Set Your angels about my pastor (Ps. 91:11) and no power of the enemy shall harm _____ (Lk. 10:19). Thank God forevermore!
- Lord, let _____ have a discerning mind to prioritize the precious minutes in the day. Let my pastor discern what is most important and be guarded against the tyranny of the urgent (2 Cor. 11:14, 1 Jn. 4:1).
- Father, allow my pastor to glory only in the cross (Gal. 6:14). Keep my pastor from pride and pity. Let the cross be his reason for ministry.
- Renew my pastor in the Holy Spirit. Let my pastor wait and mount up with wings (Is. 40:27–31). Quicken my shepherd’s body with the Holy Spirit (Ro. 8:11). Renew _____’s vision and confidence (1 Jn. 5:13–14).
- Jesus keep my pastor holy in every way (1 Pet. 1:16). Protect my shepherd from seducing spirits especially when he/she is tired and hard-pressed. Give _____ comrades to help protect him/her, and to share with in personal holiness (Jas. 4:7). As my pastor draws near to You, draw near to my pastor (Jas. 4:8).
- I pray that the eyes of my pastor may be enlightened to know the hope to which we are called and know the riches of our glorious inheritance in the saints. Let my pastor know the incomparable great power which is in us who believe (Eph. 1:18–19). Let _____ see the full revelation of Jesus Christ (Gal. 1:12). Place in him/her a desire to know Christ and the power of His resurrection (Phil. 3:10).
- Lord, as my shepherd spends quiet time with You, shed Your love abroad in his/her heart. Let my pastor know how much he/she is loved (Ro. 5:5). In Jesus’ name let the love of God be my pastor’s mainstay in ministry. So be it!
- Lord, I lift up the hands of my pastor and his/her family. Place them in the shelter of the Most High to rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, You are their refuge and fortress. You will preserve their family time. You will cover their home. Your faithfulness will meet their financial needs in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19). You will command Your angels to guard them as they travel and win the lost. You have said, “I will be with in trouble, I will deliver and honor . With a long life, I will satisfy and show my salvation” (Ps. 91:15–16). In Jesus’ name I cancel all assignments of the enemy against them.
- In Jesus’ name I speak to church hurts, abuse, and ungrateful forces to move. I speak to mountains of criticism and inordinate expectations to be cast into the sea. I speak to stress, excessive phone counseling, and fatigue to be cast into the sea, and I believe every need, vision, and dream of _____’s will be completed (Mk. 11:22–24, Phil. 4:19).
- Forgive those who hurt _____ and speak against him/her, and may my pastor walk in forgiveness (Eph. 4:32–5:1). Guard my pastor from futile thinking (Eph. 4:17) and a vain imagination. Let every thought be taken captive to obey Christ(2 Cor. 10:3–5).
- In Jesus’ name I bind the fear of failure and the fear of humankind (Jn. 14:1). Let _____’s confidence not be eroded by the daily resistance to the gospel or his/her vision. Allow my pastor to fear God more than people.
- Father, heal my shepherd’s heart of any grief caused by ministry. Bestow on my pastor a crown of beauty instead of ashes and anoint him/her with the oil of gladness instead of mourning. Clothe my shepherd with a garment of praise instead of a spirit of depression. I call my pastor an oak of righteousness, a planting of the Lord to display Your splendor (Is. 61:3).
- Jesus, You said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me . . .. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you” (Jn. 14:1, 27). Apply these promises to _____. Let my pastor know the plans You have for him/her, plans to prosper, plans to give hope and a future(Jer. 29:11).
- Keep my pastor in the midst of good and exciting worship. Keep my pastor from the traditions of men and religion which hold the form of godliness, but deny its power (2 Tim. 3:5). Give _____ a vision of heaven (Isaiah 6,Revelation 4).
- With my shield of faith I cover my shepherd’s mind to quench all flaming darts of doubt or vain imagination or mental distractions (Eph. 6:16, Col. 2:6–8). Let the mind of Christ be strong in my pastor (1 Cor. 2:16).
- Lord, I stand against the enemies of my pastor’s prayer life: “busyness” (Acts 6:2–4), compulsions, compromise (Acts 5), unnecessary phone calls, chronic counselees, fatigue, sleepiness (Mt. 26:41), appetites, television, late meetings, over-commitments, and doubt. Let nothing hinder _____’s time with You. Let my pastor rise up to seek You (Mk. 1:35), pray with other pastors (Acts 1:14), and pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17). Give my pastor the time, the desire, and the place to pray (Acts 16:16). I rebuke in the name of Jesus any distractions from my pastor’s devotional life.
- Send the spirit of prayer upon _____ (Acts 1:8, Ro. 8:26). Send others to join us in praying for our pastor (1 Tim. 2:1–8).
- God, I say that _____ will stand firm. Nothing will move my pastor (1 Cor. 15:58). May my pastor always give himself/herself fully to Your work because my pastor’s labor is not in vain.
- Lord, keep my pastor from comparing himself/herself with other pastors, churches, or salary packages. Guard my pastor’s heart from competition and unhealthy ambitions (2 Cor. 10:18). Deliver _____ from the numbers trap, and give my pastor a genuine concern for lost souls (Lk. 19:10). Lord, You advance my pastor. Let my pastor not be caught up in any political quicksand; keep only Jacob’s ladder, not a career ladder, before my pastor (Gen. 28:12).
- Bless my pastor with rich study time (Acts 6:4, 2 Tim. 2:15).
- As _____ preaches, let him/her proclaim Jesus Christ (Col. 1:28). Let my pastor’s preaching be in the energy of the Holy Spirit.
- Lord, by Your Holy Spirit, anoint _____ to preach, and bring apostolic results (Acts 2:37). As my pastor speaks the Word, let signs and wonders follow confirming it (Mk. 16:20). Let the sick be healed; let the oppressed be set free. Anoint _____ with the truth (Mt. 16:17). Let people be cut to the heart and accept Jesus Christ.
- Lord, as You have promised, grant my beloved shepherd lasting fruit (Mal. 3:11, Jn. 15:16). Let my pastor’s converts become disciples who in turn disciple. Bless my pastor with disciples who grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- Lord, keep my pastor in the fear of God. Let my pastor not fear people (Prov. 19:23). Give _____ boldness to confront sin and church controllers. Honor my pastor’s stand for You. Come to my pastor’s rescue. I claim Psalm 35 for my shepherd.
- O Lord, take my pastor’s hand so that he/she will not fear. Lead my pastor through difficult times. Let my pastor know that You are near and that You are his/her God. My pastor will not be dismayed. You will strengthen my pastor and help and uphold him/her with Your righteous right hand (Is. 41:10).
- O God, allow _____ to enter Your rest (Hebrews 4, Mt. 11:28). Put Your yoke on my pastor. When my pastor is heavily laden or burdened, may he/she find comfort and peace in You, refreshed and renewed by Your power in every aspect of his/her life.
- Lord, make my pastor strong and filled with courage for every task (Joshua 1). let my pastor lead us to inherit our city for You. Thank You for being with _____.
- In Jesus’ name, _____ shall fight the good fight of faith, fleeing from evil to God by pursuing righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness (1 Tim. 6:12). I praise You, Lord, that You have taken hold of this special shepherd in the personal experience of eternal life.
Expect, Stand, Yield
Finally, expect all that you have prayed, stand behind your pastor, girding him or her in prayer, and yield to the Spirit for other areas of prayer and intercession!