If you have been attending various events like conferences and seminars, you may have encountered more than one after dinner speeches. You may not realize it but the speech that is being delivered, often by the organizer of the event, actually has a name and that speech may or may not be an impromptu speech example. In this article, we provide you ten after dinner speech examples to help or guide you as you create one as well as tips and a basic information about after dinner speeches.
- 1 What Is an After Dinner Speech?
- 2 What Is the Purpose of an After Dinner Speech?
- 3 Sample After Dinner Speech
- 4 Special Occasion After Dinner Speech
- 5 After Dinner Speech Example
- 6 Famous After Dinner Speech
- 7 Dedicated After Dinner Speech
- 8 Conference After Dinner Speech
- 9 Banquet After Dinner Speech
- 10 Dining Club After Dinner Speech
- 11 Special Conference Dinner Speech Sample
- 12 Tips for Your After Dinner Speech
- 13 Wedding Toast Examples
What Is an After Dinner Speech?
An after-dinner speech, as the name suggests, is a speech delivered right after all the presentation speech and any kinds of events within a bigger event has been carried out and right after dinner has been served and eaten by the guests.
After dinner speeches do not use any other materials like visual presentations or any other kind of prop to assist the speaker in delivering his or her speech. It only needs the words of the one who delivers the speech and how he or she weaves those words to serve the purpose of an after-dinner speech.
What Is the Purpose of an After Dinner Speech?
The main purpose of an after-dinner speech is simply to entertain the audience or the attendees of the event and to inform or to persuade the audience or the attendees would only come second unlike any other speech templates. After dinner speeches is actually a mix of both serious matters laced and delivered in a lighthearted manner. Many may think that after dinner speeches are just mere “stretchers” or “fillers” to make the event longer or to make up for some extra time. But the truth is, it is should really be a part of any kind of social event and in fact, after dinner speeches are the most memorable ones since it would be the most recent moment that the audience or the attendees will remember from the event.
Sample After Dinner Speech
Size: 185.1 KB
Special Occasion After Dinner Speech
Size: 125.5 KB
After Dinner Speech Example
Size: 294.6 KB
Famous After Dinner Speech
Size: 15.6 KB
Dedicated After Dinner Speech
Size: 1.8 MB
Conference After Dinner Speech
Size: 61.8 KB
Banquet After Dinner Speech
Size: 127.5 KB
Dining Club After Dinner Speech
Size: 84.3 KB
Special Conference Dinner Speech Sample
Size: 93.8 KB
Tips for Your After Dinner Speech
For starters, making and delivering an after dinner speech may be a daunting task since you are given the burden to end an event that will make a mark on the audience or to the attendees. Worry not for here are some tips that can help you in creating and even in delivering your own after dinner speech.
1. Choose a topic similar to the main event and to the audience.
In choosing a topic, make sure you have already decided what kind of speech you are going to deliver. Are you going to inform? Are you going to persuade? After so, choose a topic that is similar and relevant to the main event’s topic or to the kind of event you are in. For instance, you are at a business event with a lot of businessmen in the audience, then make sure your speech is about business and you deliver it in a formal manner. Another example is that you are going to deliver an after dinner speech at a family dinner. You can still talk about serious topics, matters, and issues in your family but you can also deliver it in a lighthearted manner.
2. Be cautious in your use of humor.
After dinner speeches are known for its lighthearted tone due to humor but you have to use it with discretion. The use of humor may influence you to embarrass people in the audience by citing one of their embarrassing moments– do not do that. Jokes can tend to be offensive but make sure you stray away from that path. Do not use race, religion, politics, sexist, ethnic and any other sensitive matters as your way to make yours after dinner speech funny to listen to. Do not force a joke that will end up getting unrelated to your main topic. Make sure your use of humor is related to the entire topic of your after dinner speech. Make sure that even if you are delivering an after dinner speech in a lighthearted manner, you would still be able to deliver a relevant message to your audience or to the attendees of the event.
3. Do not spoil the mood of the occasion.
There are many ways to spoil the mood of an occasion like talking about incidents of serious and sensitive matters. However, mentioning tricky incidents can help other people to learn from it; make sure that if ever an incident is a serious or sensitive matter is relevant to the topic of you after dinner speech and to the entire main event, make it a point that your audience or the attendees of the vent will learn something from it and do not just state the incident if it’s not related to your speech topic. Do not spoil the mood of the occasion by naming names.Steer clear of topics or statements that spoil the mood of the occasion. You can also spoil the mood by your nonverbal communication. If you do not keep a proper posture and that your facial expressions are not inviting, you are already ruining the mood of the occasion and you will likely end the event in a bad light. Be upbeat and engaging and always watch your language. The last thing you would want is to end a big event with a big fight.
4. Set a time limit.
You do not want to bore your audience with your lengthy speech right? Make sure you allow time for your speech that is not too long to bore your audience and not too short to make them want more of your words. If you respect other people’s time by not clinging on them for more, people will also respect your time when you will be delivering your after dinner speech by intently listening to what you are to deliver.
5. Prepare but do not overdo it.
It is good to practice and prepare for your after dinner speech but too much preparation can actually spoil the way you would be delivering your after dinner speech. When you memorize your speech and overdo your memorization, you would sound like you are reading something and as a result, you would not look like you are engaging and interacting with your audience or attendees. Remember that an after dinner speech should be lighthearted and if you overdo your memorization, you would sound like a robot and that definitely sounds bad. Instead of memorizing, just familiarized the flow of your speech and you are good to go.
6. End with something your audience can ponder or reminisce about.
If you want your speech to linger in the minds and hearts of your audience, always make sure that you end your after dinner speech in a way that your audience will keep on thinking about it even days after the night you deliver your speech. You can use your after dinner speech to call an action from your audience.
a blessing in disguise
- misfortune which turns out to have advantages
- good outcome from evil situation
- an unfortunate event that later leads to an advantageous situation
- an apparent misfortune that eventually results in a positive outcome
- something that is bad at first, but later results in something good
- a misfortune that unexpectedly turns into good fortune
- Losing that job turned out to be a blessing in disguise for him as it forced him to plunge into business.
- When Pete fractured his knee, it was a blessing in disguise, for he got some much needed rest and a break from his hectic work life and refocused on some important things in his life.
- Failing in his exams was a blessing in disguise, for he realized that he was not enjoying his course and decided to try out something else.
- Missing the train was a blessing in disguise, for we would have been on it when it met with an accident, killing many of it’s passengers.
- When her boyfriend dumped her, it was a blessing in disguise for Susan, for otherwise she would never have met the man who is now her husband.
- Alice’s car breaking down was a blessing in disguise for her; if it hadn’t, she could have been in the middle of that huge multi car pile up that happened on her way to work.
This phrase originated in the mid 1700s. The earliest usage in print was in the 1746 book “Reflections on a Flower-Garden” by James Hervey.
blaze a trail ❯❮ a blind alley
A wedding toast is a very important part of any wedding reception. Whether you have been asked to prepare a toast ahead of time or you feel inspired to suddenly stand up and toast the bride and groom, here are some quotes that will help you give a toast that everyone will love. From wedding toast examples from a parent to ones that are religious or funny, you can find some inspiring words that will be perfect for your own wedding toast.
Wedding Toast Examples
1. This special and unforgettable night is a happy celebration of a perfect pair of people who are so deeply and unapologetically in love with one another. Let us all take a moment to raise our glasses to and Let us toast to the incredibly exciting road that lies ahead of them.
2. for as long as I have known you, you have always been someone who has been able to find the joy in everything. I am so glad that you can share this ability to see the joy in everything with May your life together be joyous and full of love.
3. and have both honored me by including me in their wedding today, and I know that you all feel honored as well to be a part of this special occasion. From a beautiful ceremony to a very fun reception and delicious food, I cannot thank you enough for including us in your special day. Let us all raise a glass and toast to the new Mr. and Mrs.
4. Watching and together has renewed my faith in true love. I am so honored to be a part of this special day. Let us toast to the two people who have brought all of us in this room here today.
5. To and may you always find comforting strength and endless happiness in one another. Please join me as I raise a glass to these two newlyweds.
6. Remember, and that love is not about how much you say “I love you.” It is about what you do to prove it. May you continue to show your love for each other each and every day. A toast to the two of you on your wedding day.
7. and may you find joy with each other each and every day from this day forward. Congratulations and remember this special day always, as it is the day that brought you two together as husband and wife.
8. Here is to the groom with a bride so fair, and here is to a bride with a groom who is so rare.
9. May the two of you be poor in misfortune and rich in blessings. Here is to a wonderful wedding day and an even more marvelous marriage.
10. To be really able to experience the value of joy, you must have someone special to share and experience it with. What a wonderful thing it is then, a miracle even, that the two of you have found each other. Congratulations and to you, I raise my glass.
11. Even before this day, I have seen and fall in love over and over many times. That is the recipe for a successful and happy marriage. A toast to you both, I know I speak for everyone in this room when I say that we all wish you a long, healthy, and happy life together.
12. From this day forward, you will not be alone. As husband and wife, you will always have each other. And you will also have your families and friends to offer their support along the way. Congratulations to a lovely bride and groom on such a beautiful day.
13. To love, laughter, and a happily ever after. To and your fairy tale is only beginning.
14. To the lovely bride and groom, here are my wishes for you. May you always have a place to call home and may you always be surrounded by those you love.
15. May you always have walls for the wind, a roof for the rain, tea by the fire, laughter to cheer you up, and everything that your heart desires. Congratulations and
16. To a couple that we all know, admire, and love with all our hearts. We all wish the best for you and we toast to your health and happiness.
17. What is love anyway? It is unpredictable, sometimes it makes very little sense. But it is the strongest thing in the world and I am so happy that the two of you love each other the way that you do. Cheers to the bride and groom. May your love continue to shine and serve as a beacon of hope for all of us.
18. To be able to find your soul mate is a true blessing. Let us raise a glass to the bride and groom. Thank you for sharing your blessing of happiness with all of us.
19. I think it is safe to say that we will all look back on this special day with fondness. Congratulations, and and here is to a new chapter in your lives.
20. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the two of you on your marriage. As you both grow older together, remember that the heart that loves is always young. So never fail to remember to stay young at heart together. That is what will keep your love fresh and exciting, even 30 years from today.
21. To and may your love be as endless as your wedding rings.
22. To and who we all love so dearly: may your love for one another run as deep as the ocean and may your worries be as light as the sea’s foam.
23. Cheers to the bride and groom, may you have a happy honeymoon. May you have a happy life and enjoy your time as spouses without strife.
24. Here’s to the husband and here’s to the wife. May the two of you stay lovers for life.
25. Let us toast to the health of the bride, let us toast to the health of the groom, let’s have a toast to the person who tied, and let’s raise a glass to everyone in this room.
26. As you celebrate this happy day in your life, remember that the best days are yet to come. In the meantime, let us raise a glass to your marriage and to your health and happiness.
27. When love rules your heart, anything is possible. Here’s to the bride and groom, we all know that they will do great things together.
28. We are all incredibly lucky to have been able to witness the immense and boundless love that the two of you share. Let us raise a glass to and and their never ending love.
29. and deserve three cheers for their steadfast commitment to each other. The decision to marry is not one that is made lightly and I know that their best years are ahead of them. Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hooray!
30. When you are lucky enough to find the one that makes your heart soar, your one true love, then you should never ever let them go. And and have done just that. Congratulations to the both of you.
31. Here’s to the bride and groom with hearts of gold, may their love continue to grow as they grow old.
32. Let us all toast to a marriage that will be strong and enduring.
33. As the days and years go by, let us all remember this day as the special day where and proclaimed their undying love for each other.
34. and on this special day, I wish you both a lifetime of happiness together. Your wedding day is certainly one that we will all remember.
35. Love believes, endures, and hopes. And above all things, love never fails. Let us all raise a glass to and the unfaltering love that they share.
36. As the two of you begin this new life together as a married couple, just remember this: be kind to one another and your love will last a lifetime.
37. Congratulations to the newlyweds on this special day. As you embark on this new journey together, always keep in mind that the first duty of love is to listen.
38. There is no remedy for love but to love more. Remember this every day, because now you are husband and wife. I know I am not alone in this room when I say that I wish you nothing but the best memories in the many years that you will have together.
39. Love, when it is real, is everything that is cracked up to be. That is why people can be so cynical about it. But sometimes you have to fight for love or make sacrifices and take risks for it. But it can be worth the risk. With love, sometimes you have to be fearless and strong. And and have both shown all of those qualities and much more. Let us all raise a glass to their future together.
40. Love is something that we could all use a little bit of. And between the two of them, and have plenty of love to go around. Thank you for sharing that love with all of us on this special day and thank you for inviting us to witness this great love that you have.
41. Let us all raise a glass to a beautiful wedding, two wonderful people, and the love that they have for one another.
42. Here is a piece of advice for you two lovebirds on your wedding day: never stop laughing, even when the jokes are not all that funny.
Funny Wedding Toasts
43. Marriage is always a workshop in the sense that the husband is the one who works and the wife is the one who shops. But in all serious, marriage is a balance, no matter what roles the husband and wife take on. As long as you remember to respect and love each other, you can never go wrong. Let us toast to the marriage of and
44. Marriage is an interesting arrangement that allows you to annoy that one special person for the rest of your life. But it is so worth it when you really love each other. Congratulations to and may they continue to annoy each other for many more years to come.
45. Loyal, honest, funny, caring…but enough about me. I’m here to talk about the groom! He is someone who I look up to, whose love inspires me, and I think he found his perfect match in Let us all raise a toast to the two of them.
46. Congratulations to the new, happily married Mr. and Mrs. ___________. Never forget what made you crazy about each other, and don’t drive each other too crazy.
47. stole heart, so she stole his last name. All in all, I would say that things worked out quite nicely. Let us toast to these lovebirds on their wedding day.
48. Congratulations, and Just always keep this in mind as you embark on your married life together: marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other person is the husband!
49. They say that a man is incomplete until he is married and settles down. After that, he is finished. Congratulations, and on your marriage.
50. Marriage lets you annoy one special person for the rest of your life. Take advantage of that as much as you can. Congratulations to the bride and groom!
51. and as you settle into your married life together, remember the 4 magic words that will keep any marriage strong: “I’ll do the dishes.”
52. Love is a temporary insanity that is curable by marriage. and thank you for having us all here to witness your wonderful wedding day. Let us raise a glass to the health and happiness of these happy newlyweds.
53. People like to always say that love is blind, but I don’t really believe in that at all. After all, anyone who has ever been within a 20-mile radius of this couple can clearly see how much in love and are. I would like make a toast to these two newlyweds, that their love will always be as radiant as the sun and that this love of theirs will only get stronger with each passing day.
Parent Wedding Toasts
54. As someone who has seen grow from a beautiful baby to a fine young man, I cannot be more pleased with the wonderful person that he has chosen to spend the rest of his life with, a lovely young lady who I am now lucky enough to call my daughter in law. She is beautiful both inside and out and we could not be luckier to know her, let alone call her a new member of the family. Let us toast to my son and his new bride.
55. When you are a parent, you want the best for your child. Luckily, my son found the best when he found Join me, everyone, as I toast to my son and my new daughter in law.
56. As a parent, I have often worried about my daughter being okay, that she would do great things, and that she would never want for anything. Most of all, I always prayed for her happiness. As I look at her and I can say that I am confident that the two of them will have a great life together and accomplish many things as husband and wife. And I know that the two of them will continue to be very happy in each other’s company.
57. Hello everyone. I am the mother of It is said that when their children find true love, their parents find true joy. Here’s to your joy and to ours as well.
58. As I stand here today at my child’s wedding, I wonder where the time has gone. I still remember you as the baby that I fell in love with. And watching you grow has been a blessing. I am so glad that you have found someone who you can spend the rest of your life with
59. There have been many times and countless instances over the years where I thought that I could not possibly be prouder of my child. Today happens to be one of those days. On your wedding day, I could not feel any prouder and I could not be any happier for you. As I look at you and the person you love, who you have made this commitment to, my heart is incredibly full of joy and I am at peace knowing how happy you are. I know that together, you will continue to do great things together, this time as husband and wife.
60. As a mother, I have often worried about my child. Even though he/she is no longer a child anymore. It doesn’t matter how smart or capable they are, you always wonder if they will be okay. And while a mother never stops worrying, my mind and heart are at ease because and have found each other. And when I see the love that they have for each other, the affection and the respect that is there, I know that my daughter/son will be just fine. Congratulations to the both of you on your wedding day.
61. you have always been my pride and joy. So you can imagine that over the years, I always wondered who would ever be good enough for you, a girl who was so smart, so beautiful, and so pure of heart. And I think we found that answer in Seeing how happy he makes you, makes me happier than you can ever know. Congratulations to you both.
You may also enjoy our Matron of Honor Speech Examples.
Religious Wedding Toasts
62. It is often said that marriage is a gift from God himself. The happiness that the two of you have together is a result of that blessed gift. Thank you both for sharing your gift of happiness and love with all of us on this special day.
63. To find real love in this world is the biggest blessing that any of us can ever hope to receive. As I look at and I can see how blessed they are and how pure their love is, and I can say that we are all incredibly blessed and fortunate to even know them and to be able to share this special day with them.
64. What God has joined together today, let man not separate. Join me, everyone in congratulating and on this blessed day.
65. To and may they honor the Lord with their marriage and their love for one another. Let us all raise a glass to their happiness and health.
66. May the Lord teach and to stand together through everything that comes their way. Let us toast to the health of these newlyweds.
67. Congratulations, and I know that I am not alone when I say that I wish for all of God’s blessings to be bestowed upon you.
68. Today, and have dedicated theirselves to one another in body, mind, and soul. That we have all been able to witness this is truly a blessing. Let us raise a glass to the new bride and groom.
69. Let us rejoice in the blessing of love that and share. Their marriage is a firm declaration of their love before their loved ones and God. Congratulations to a couple that we are all very blessed to know.
70. In life, God can give us many blessings but the greatest one of all has got to be love. What are we without it? Nothing. And so, by having each other’s unwavering love, and have everything. Let us all toast to the love that and share.
A simple dinner blessing for a young child to say can be adapted from the Lord’s Prayer, such as “Give us Lord our daily bread,” or “We thank thee Lord for our daily bread; amen.” These mealtime blessings are ideal because they are short and easy for a child to remember.
For a small child, a rhyming prayer is also easy to remember. For example, an easy one can be “Father, bless our food, and thank you always for being good.”
Older children may say mealtime blessing prayers that are longer. For example, an adapted traditional Catholic prayer before a meal is “Bless us our Lord, and these thy gifts that we receive today from your bounty. Amen.”