We all have times in our lives when nothing seems to go quite right.
Your car breaks down, then you get sick, and then your basement floods. One problem leads into another.
Our family is going through one of these times right now as we speak. We’ve been having family health issues galore, with several visits to the hospital and quite a few other smaller issues popping up all at once.
It isn’t fun to deal with, but when you have faith, you can find strength and encouragement in the Bible.
Today I thought I would look at some of the Bible verses that have encouraged us lately.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Table of contents
- 1 Bible Verses of Encouragement That Give Strength
- 2 Bible Verses of Encouragement That Bring Comfort
- 3 Bible Verses of Encouragement And Peace
- 4 God’s Promises Can Encourage Us And Give Hope
- 5 More Resources To Strengthen And Encourage
- 6 He is almighty
- 7 He loves us and cares for us
- 8 He protects us
- 9 He delivers us
- 10 He carries our burdens
- 11 He gives us peace
- 12 Bible Verses for Hard Times
Bible Verses of Encouragement That Give Strength
God has encouraged us that if we believe in Him he will give us strength, no matter what we’re dealing with. Here are a few verses that speak to the strength and encouragement we can find in Him.
God does not give us everything we want, but He does fulfill His promises, leading us along the best and straightest paths to Himself. –Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.
Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you;my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
Psalm 9:9-10 The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
Psalm 34:10b Those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Isaiah 26: 3-4 Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace—because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for in the Lord God you have an everlasting rock.
1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!
Psalm 32:7-8 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
Deuteronomy 31:8 It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.
Bible Verses of Encouragement That Bring Comfort
God doesn’t always take away the pain or suffering that we’re dealing with, but he does give us comfort in the midst of those troubles.
Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
Psalm 121:1-2 I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Isaiah 49:13 Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on his afflicted.
Deuteronomy 31:8 It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
Psalm 9:9 The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.
Matthew 11:28-29 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Bible Verses of Encouragement And Peace
Be encouraged because we can look to him to find the peace that we so lack in this life.
The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, ‘O God, forgive me,’ or ‘Help me.’ –Billy Graham
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
Romans 8:6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.
Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
God’s Promises Can Encourage Us And Give Hope
God has made a multitude of promises to those who follow Him, and we can be encouraged by those promises. Here are a few of my favorites.
God has made promises to those who follow Him, and we can be encouraged by those promises. Click To Tweet
- God has promised us eternal life if we believe in him: John 6:47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
- God is faithful to His children: Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations
- God has promised to hear our prayers: Psalms 4:3 Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him.
- God has promised to guide us: Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
More Resources To Strengthen And Encourage
Here are a few more posts that give insight into how the Bible looks at certain topics.
- Bible Verses About Money
- Bible Verses About Hope
- Bible Verses About Strength In Hard Times
- Bible Verses About Thanksgiving And Appreciation
- 8 More Bible Verses About Money
- Bible Verses About Contentment
- Bible Verses About Overcoming Adversity, Struggles And Hardship
- Bible Verses About Worry
We all go through tough times in our lives now and then. In difficult times it can be hard to have faith and trust God. Sometimes we just need a reminder of who God is; our comforter and helper. Our source of strength and peace.
Whether it’s a personal crisis or a national calamity we can use God’s word to strengthen our faith and to lift us up. These 15 encouraging Bible verses for hard times will remind you of God’s presence and power. He is always there for us, in good times and bad. Pick one or two to meditate on when you need encouragement!
He is almighty
1) Jeremiah 32:27
“I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?”
2) Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
3) Psalm 16:8
I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
4) Isaiah 54:17
“No weapon forged against you shall prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me,” declares the Lord.
He loves us and cares for us
5) 1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
6) Romans 8:38-39
Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
He protects us
7) Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
8) Psalm 27:5
For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His sacred tent and set me on a high rock.
He delivers us
9) Psalm 34:7
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and He delivers them.
10) Psalm 34:17-19
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.
He carries our burdens
11) Psalm 68:19
Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.
12) Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken.
13) Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
He gives us peace
14) John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
15) Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
We don’t have to wonder if we will have trials; we’re told to expect them. But the good news is we don’t have to face those trials alone. The God of the universe is watching out for us.
When my sister went missing in 1982, I was able to call on God and he encouraged me through his Word. May these verses do the same for you, no matter what trials you face.
Bible Verses for Hard Times
1. “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?” (Jeremiah 32:27)
Often we think because our trial is big to us, that it will be too big for God almighty. But God is able to handle anything we go through, and He does that for every person who calls on Him.
2. “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation.” (1 Peter 4:12-13)
When we are in a trial, it seems like it will never end, But God is a God of all time; He knows exactly how long our trials will endure and He will give us the strength we need to get through them.
3. “Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)
Often when we’re facing a trial, because we don’t know what is in our future, we forget God knows. He transcends time. He is the God of our present and He’s in the future as well. It just makes sense that we would let Him guide us since He knows infinitely more about our lives than we do.
4. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Often we spend countless time and all our energy trying to figure out what we should do when we have difficulties. We end up leaning on everything but God. But this verse assures us if we lean on Him, He will direct us. He will make our paths straight. What a reassurance that is. There is no path that God cannot make straight.
5. “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
Trials have a way of wearing us down and before long, we don’t think we can put one weary foot in front of another. The enemy of our soul whispers that we are alone and that we will never make it. God reassures us that He is with us. God will give us the strength we need; He will help us and will uphold us. And if God upholds us, we’re going to be okay.
6. “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” (John 14:26-27)
God has not left us alone in this world. To those of us who know Jesus as Savior, He has given us his Holy Spirit. And it is His Spirit who reminds us of what God says in His Word. The peace God gives us is a peace the world cannot even understand. It’s a peace that will settle our hearts and give our minds rest.
7. “Cast your burden upon the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never allow the righteous to be shaken.” (Psalm 55:22)
God is waiting for us to take whatever troubles us and to cast that onto Him. The problem is sometimes we do that and then we let worry come in, and we snatch out problems back from God. But if we really were able to cast it on Him, then we would know He is more than able to handle whatever we are facing. God understands that doubts will sometimes creep in. Even Thomas had doubts. Still, God encourages us to trust that He will sustain us. He will help steady us no matter how shaky the world gets.
8. “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:25-27)
God often speaks about the sparrows around us. He tells us that we are worth more to Him than these little birds. He says this to make a point. If the God of the universe cares about the welfare of tiny, little birds, how much more does He care about us? The ones who were made in His own image. He tells us that we should not worry, just as those birds don’t give a second thought to where they will eat. Instead they trust the Father’s hand.
9. “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him And let him see My salvation.” (Psalm 91:14-16)
God is our rescuer. The One who will come when we call and who will take us to safety. We acknowledge that we know Him and he gives us His protection. We call on Him and He responds. And He just doesn’t watch us in trouble, He delivers us out of it. And then He honors us and blesses us with long life. God shows us He is looking out for us, and all He asks is that we call on Him.
A Prayer for Hard Times
Lord, help us when we face trials in this life. Help us to call on You, knowing You always hear us. Help us to lean on You instead of leaning on our own understanding. Give us the strength we need, and remind us always that You are aware of what touches us. You see even one sparrow that falls and we are worth more than sparrows. Thank you Lord, for not leaving us comfortless. Thank You for Your great love. We pray this in Jesus’ precious name. Amen.
Anne Peterson is well acquainted with trials, having lost many people in her life. She is a poet, speaker and published author of ten books. Some of which are: Her memoir, Broken: A Story of Abuse and Survival, three children’s books: Emma’s Wish, The Crooked House, and Lulu’s Lunch. She has also authored the poetry books Droplets, and the series He Whispers. While Anne enjoys being a poet, speaker and published author, her favorite title is still ‘Grandma’ to her three grandchildren here, and one in heaven. To find out more about Anne you can visit her at:
Photo courtesy: Thinkstockphotos.com
Publication date: February 15, 2017