Is stress holding you hostage and keeping you from rest? Do you feel burdens pressing in that seem too heavy to bear? When anxious thoughts pull you in the wrong direction, and you’re struggling to find balance, the following prayer might express your thoughts and help you find relief and freedom.
Before praying, consider these 4 steps for praying over anxiety, as suggested by well-known author and speaker Max Lucado:
- Pray immediately.
“Don’t stew over the problems that are besetting you or your neighbor. Ask God for help as soon as you identify a need.”
- Pray specifically.
“When we boil our concerns down to a specific request, they become right-sized. Vague threats loom larger than concrete challenges.”
- Pray for and with others.
“When we consider the problems of others and enlist their help with ours, our concerns become more manageable.”
- Pray with thanksgiving.
“Anxiety and gratitude cannot occupy the same space. When we catalog what are thankful for, our list of challenges grows less powerful.”
Table of contents
A Prayer for Relief of Stress and Anxiety
Lord Jesus, the stresses in my life often reach a dangerous proportion—or so it seems. My body, mind, and spirit struggle to keep up physically, mentally, and yes, spiritually. Some days anxiety stalks me like a deceitful predator, and the temptation to worry draws me in. I know better, but some days the challenges outweigh the truths buried inside. My trust in You fades into the background, giving fear and concerns permission to discourage me.
In those moments of apprehension, help me remember that I belong to You, and that You are not the author of fear or anxiety, but the giver of love and a sound mind. Teach me Your ways to respond to problems by giving thanks in them. Your Word assures me that You are always there with me. You are the Blessed Controller of all things, and nothing escapes Your attention in my life. You have given me every tool and spiritual blessing to fight against those things that try to steal my peace. You’ve promised that when I’m stressed and burdens are trying to weigh me down, I can come to You. You will give me sweet rest!
Whether the anxiety stems from work, parenting, finances, physical issues, or even world conditions, You are there, Lord, to shoulder the weight. Teach me to recognize the stressful trials as tools for you to shape me and rearrange me. Through those difficult times, You will teach me patience, enlarge my faith, and help me see things I couldn’t see earlier—if I will only let You. When I’m clueless as to what to do, Lord, I want to turn to you first, not last.
Forgive me for trying to handle things on my own, Lord. The need to be in control sometimes gets a stronghold on my life. That only makes things worse. I want to trust You more and see things from Your perspective, not my own. No one makes me feel uptight, angry, or stressed, and no one forces me to react negatively. I choose to respond according to my beliefs. Do I believe You are in control? Do I believe You created all things and hold all things in Your Hand? Do I believe You are truly good? When an anxious thought creeps in, help me to stop and relax, to take that thought captive, and to turn apprehension into a calm prayer for deliverance. Revamp my belief system, Lord. Show me a new way to handle life according to Your Way.
No matter what issues I am dealing with; no matter how big the problems or situations, I’m laying them all at Your feet today. Turn these potentials for stress into lessons for growth and trust. When I can’t see any possible solutions, I choose to believe that You are working things out for my good—in Your own time, as you have in the past. Show me what to do, or what not to do. As I focus on You, remembering Your promises and Your words, I believe You will fill me with a peace that is beyond all understanding.
In Your precious name,
A Short Prayer for An Anxious Heart
Dear Lord, I thank you that I can come to You always for any reason. I’m grateful that when I pray to You, You answer me. Help me to come to You at the beginning of my fears and anxieties instead of waiting until I can’t stand them anymore. The quicker I come to You the better. You want to free me from ALL my fears. Help me look to You for help more often so that I can be radiant with Your joy. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.
– Jennifer Heeren
Rebecca Barlow Jordan is an inspirational author, speaker, and passionate follower of Jesus who loves to encourage others heart to heart. She has written 11 books and over 1700 other articles, greeting cards, and other inspirational pieces. Her daily devotional Daily in Your Presence is available for delivery through Crosswalk.com. You can find out more about Rebecca at www.rebeccabarlowjordan.com.
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
A Prayer for When You’re Stressed Out
By Emily Massey
I struggled with anxiety and panic attacks for many years in high school and college, even as a believer. Stress and worry were just a part of my life, and I allowed them to move into my mind and become my permanent mental roommates. From money problems to relationship issues, if it became too much, you would find me curled up in a ball in the fetal position on the floor, hyperventilating until parts of my body went numb and crying until there were no more tears left.
After I graduated college, I began to walk closer with the Lord and study His Word like I never had before in my life. My mind was being renewed and over time, I began to trust the Lord with every care and worry and cast them upon Him like 1 Peter 5:7 tells us to do.
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7 NIV)
The other night when I experienced the panic attack, there was a brief moment where I was given the opportunity to resist the negative thoughts and take them captive and begin to talk to God like I had learned to do so many times before, but this time, I chose to let my mind run in circles. I was so familiar with the experience of a panic attack that I could literally feel it try to overtake me right before it happened. The dark cloud of what I believe was demonic oppression then blanketed my mind and then my whole body. If I would have remembered Philippians 4:6-7 or even 1 Peter 5:7, I would have realized that God offered me a solution to my anxious thoughts. A simple conversation with the Lord would have helped me centered my thoughts and would have brought immediate peace to the whirlwind in my mind.
If this describes your life at all, here is a prayer you can pray for when stress hits hard.
A Prayer for Stress
Lord, thank you that you want us to cast our cares on you. Thank you that there is nowhere I can go that you are not there with me. Thank you for having a hold of my life, even as I feel like everything is crumbling around me.
Lord, I confess that I have let stress take a hold of my life, rather than You. I have let stress control my mood, my attitudes and my actions. Lord, I repent of this! Please Father, help me see what is stressful in my life and hand it over to You. Help me not let the stress win out. Help me actively think on Your goodness to me.
I am so hopeful for my eternity with you, Lord, where there will be NO more stress! Help me look back on all the ways You have rescued me from my stressful moments, and look in hope to the future where You will one day rid all stress, forever.
Help me live boldly in the truth of Your goodness and power today. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Editor’s Note: Content taken How Powerful Prayer Conquered My Panic Attacks by Emily Massey.
This prayer for peace of mind asks god to relieve anxiety and stress,
and grant a clarity of mind to feel at ease in one’s life. Say it in the morning
or evening on a daily basis until you feel at peace.
Also, one of the best prayers for anxiety is the famous Serenity Prayer.
If you’re not familiar with this prayer, I highly recommend it.
A Prayer for Peace of Mind
Almighty God, We bless you for our lives,
we give you praise for your abundant mercy and grace
we receive. We thank you for your faithfulness even
though we are not that faithful to you.
Lord Jesus, we ask you to give us all around
peace in our mind, body, soul and spirit.
We want you to heal and remove everything that is
causing stress, grief, and sorrow in our lives.
Please guide our path through life and make our
enemies be at peace with us. Let your peace reign in our family,
at our place of work, businesses and everything we lay our hands on.
Let your angels of peace go ahead of us when we go out
and stay by our side when we return. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
A Prayer to Heal Stress
Heavenly Father, please grant me peace of mind
and calm my troubled heart. My soul is like
a turbulent sea. I can’t seem to find my balance
so I stumble and worry constantly. Give me the
strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose
and walk the path you’ve laid out for me. I trust
your Love God, and know that you will heal this stress.
Just as the sun rises each day against the dark of
night. Please bring me clarity with the light of God.
In your name I pray, Amen.
Below, you can submit a prayer request to be posted to the site. Together we can bring peace of mind to one another through the power of prayer and heal anxiety.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Peace of Mind”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Free from Fear – Asking for deliverance from fear and torment.
- My son is stressed – My son is coming off probation and he is stressed something terrible will happen before it ends. He has 18 days to go. Please pray …
- Please pray for me – Dear Father, Please pray to get out of the fear because of my breast infection and suffering a lot with cervical spondylosis and breast pain.
- I want God to help me to be more strong in prayers this year 2019 – I need God intervention in my life because he knows what i want in life Amen.
- Prayer for everything – Father God, Lord give me peace inside of me that your working in my life and every step I take, Lord give me confidence in …
- My job – Please Lord Heavenly Father Please help my job be at ease again taking away all the stress that is being caused by one employee for …
- Help – Dear community, I am in desperate need of prayers. I am in a dark place in my life and do not know where to turn …
- Loss of my husband – Dear Father in heaven, I know that you brought my husband and me to meet at age 15. He passed away a year and a …
- Prayers for my academic suspension appeal – Dear God, while I’ve prayed to you privately, I find myself needing you more in so many different forms. I know in the end everything …
- Spiritual Warfare – I am asking for prayer for a piece of mine & some very heavy spiritual warfare which was not listed. Over a year & a …
- Deliverance from controlling spirit – Please, pray for me. I definitely know that I am under a controlling power. I married two times now. The relationship just ended. I thank …
- Prayer for my new move – Asking prayer for a peace of mind with my move to another state. Need employment and a new church home. Want God’s perfect will in …
- Overcoming anxiety – I want to be able to remember god is always with me, and I want to always be at a comfortable state of mind without …
- Physical and emotional anxiety, loneliness – Dear heavenly father, please help my mind and body to quiet. I know you are always here with me, but yet I feel so anxious …
- Prayer to sell my house and grant me serenity during this time I am so stressed – I’m really struggling, my mind is all over the, please. Please pray for us to sell our house, we have had no interest in the …
- Prosperity – I would like prayer for a peace of mind for the new year. Allowing all of my depression, hurt, anger and sadness be released out …
- I have a daughter that has a drug addiction – I have a daughter that has a drug addiction. She has been giving me a hard time with it. There’s no peace. Sometimes I don’t …
- Love and God’s peace for our family – Dearest Jesus I ask for your love, peace, and mercy for all my family at this most difficult time in our lives. Help us to …
- Health peace and tranquility – My husband’s James health, elderly and sicknesses, my grandson nasir, my boys Dominick and christopher health safety peace guidance everyday, my family health, my Health …
- Health peace and tranquility – My husband’s James health, elderly and sicknesses, my grandson nasir, my boys Dominick and Christopher health safety peace guidance every day, my family health, my …
More prayers posted in: Peace-of-mind
Feeling stressed and overwhelmed by all that life has to offer today? Take a moment to to go to God in prayer to ask for relief from anxiety and stress. You can say this prayer in the morning, evening or throughout the day to bring peace and serenity.
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Stress is weighing me down
As the tears of my burdens trickle down my cheek and impact the floor, Father please draw near. I am crying out in desperation. I need You right here, right now! Oh Lord, I am constantly on edge and I cannot think clearly.
The stress that weighs on my shoulders keeps me up at night. I toss and turn at the thought of the pressures of life.
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
This pain I feel, I cannot bear. It heavies my heart, it saddens my soul and it takes away all the joy I have left. I am physically, mentally and emotionally drained to the point where I feel as though I cannot go on.
Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
I need peace
Oh Lord, my God, grant me peace in my heart, eliminate the pain and relieve me of the stress I feel. Allow Your serenity and love to consume me.
Relax my mind, my body and my soul as I surrender myself to You. Revive the joy and energy I once had. Allow Your light to infiltrate through the darkness and grace me so I can smile again.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:1 Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
Give me strength
Father, equip me with the strength and courage I need to overcome these stressful situations in my life.
Thrust me forward into triumphant victory as the stresses of this world just swiftly fall away at the sound of Your great name! In Jesus mighty name I pray, Amen!
2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way.