A Prayer for Strength is often needed during difficult times. God is always here for us, to give us strength and lift our hearts when all seems hopeless.
“I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me.”
Most of us realize that our own strength is not always enough to get through some of the situations that this life brings.
At those difficult times, it is wise to call on God for extra strength and for His strength to help sustain you when your own strength fails. (Psalms 28:8 and Isaiah 40:29)
Table of contents
- 1 7 Prayers for Strength
- 2 Prayers for Strength and Courage
- 3 Scripture For Strength and Courage
- 4 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Strength and Guidance”
- 5 Recent prayer requests…
- 6 A Prayer for Strength
- 7 A Prayer for Strength and Encouragement
- 8 A Prayer for Strength to Endure
- 9 Additional Prayer Resources
- 10 Give me strength
- 11 Praying for confidence
7 Prayers for Strength
Below we have 7 prayers for strength submitted by pastors and clergy. Contribute to this site by submitting your own prayer for strength.
Or, submit a prayer request below.
Give Me Strength, Lord
Lord, you are Holy above all others, and all of the strength that I need is in your hands.
I am not asking, Lord, that you take this trial away. Instead, I simply ask that Your will be done in my life. Whatever that means, that is what I want.
But I admit that it’s hard, Lord.
Sometimes I feel like I can’t go on. The pain and the fear are too much for me, and I know that I don’t have the strength on my own to get through this.
I know that I can come to you, Jesus, and that you will hear my prayer. I know that it is not your intent to bring me to this point just to leave me in the wilderness alone.
Please, Lord, give me the strength that I need to face today. I don’t have to worry about tomorrow.
If you just give me the strength that I need today that is all I need.
Keep me from sinning during this trial. Instead, help me to keep my eyes on you. You are the Holy Lord, and all of my hope rests in you.
Thank you for hearing my prayer.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Get strength for your relationships: Relationship Prayers.
For Strength and Wisdom
Thank you, Lord, for being there for me and allowing me to cry out to you in my times of need.
It is amazing to me that the Lord of the Universe would take time to listen to me and to care about what I say.
God, there are things happening around me right now that I do not understand. Some of these things make me feel weak, helpless and afraid.
Even in the midst of this, I know that you are the Lord.
I know that the situation is in Your hand, and I trust You.
I beseech you for strength and for wisdom that I would be able to endure this situation and be able to handle it in a way that would bring glory to Your name.
In Jesus name. Amen.
Don’t ever be ashamed at feeling weak. Remember what the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 12:10:
“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Check out our collection of Inspirational Prayers
Prayer for Overcoming Life’s Hardships
O Lord, we call upon You in our time of sorrow,
That You give us the strength and will to bear our heavy
burdens, until we can again feel the warmth and love of
Your divine compassion. Be mindful of us and have mercy
on us while we struggle to comprehend life’s hardships.
Keep us ever in Your watch, til we can walk again with
light hearts and renewed spirits.
Strength for a Friend
Lord, I come before you today knowing that all power is in Your hand.
I know that you are the Lord and that you care for your people.
Right now, my friend is struggling with a difficult trial.
I can see her strength is faltering, Lord, and know that you have all of the strength that she needs.
I pray that you will reach down and touch her right now wherever she is at this moment.
Let your presence fill the room where she is and let her feel an extra portion of your
strength that can help her to get through this day.
She needs you now, Lord, and I thank you in advance for meeting her where she is
and shoring up her strength during this difficult time.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Prayers for Strength and Courage
Say these prayers when you’re in need of strength and courage. Day to day troubles are no match for the power of the Lord.
To be Grateful
Lord God, may we be grateful for our lot,
and compassionate toward all those who are
suffering every kind of distress at this
May we hold back nothing, and
hasten to be the ministers of prayer and mercy,
like the disciples of Him who went about doing
good in times of need.
Prayer for Guidance and Help
Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for
your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis
and need a supporting hand to keep me on the
right and just path.
My heart is troubled but I will
strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom
will show me the right way to a just and right resolution.
Thank you for hearing my prayer and for staying by my side.
For Unfailing Strength
Do not look forward to what may happen
tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares
for you today will take care of you tomorrow and
every day. Either He will shield you from suffering,
or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace, then. Put aside all anxious thoughts and
imaginations, and say continually: “The Lord is my
strength and my shield. My heart has trusted in Him
and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me,
and I in Him.
Scripture For Strength and Courage
Lets go straight to the source, and read bible verses about strength in trying times.
“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Click here to read more bible verses for strength, and Bible verses for courage.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Strength and Guidance”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Toxic Marriage- I got married in September 28, 2018 I thought it was going to be the best day of our lives. I knew her off and… …
- Strength & Direction- Dear lord Jesus, i need your strength to overcome the realities of life. i can’t study your word and i can’t pray as i have… …
- College & university- My goal is to raise my GPA and my grades i want to graduate good from college and get accepted to San Diego State University. …
- Help with demonic manifestation- Please, If there is anyone out there with discernment in this matter please pray for me . I have had a demon appear in body… …
- Prayer for success in school- Dear Lord, help me to have strength when I fail, please help guide me through the troubled waters I am in and help me that… …
- Struggling in pain- I contacted shingles and it has knocked me around I have no strength and I need to get working again soon …
- Prayer for strength and hope- Please pray for me brothers and sisters I am losing strength and hope in this fight I was put in..I know that I shouldn’t satisfy… …
- Prayer for my mom- Please pray for my mom for strength and healing as we found out she has breast cancer. …
- For strength- I am unable to concentrate on my work as I have to achieve a target before 31st March 2019. I feel I will not be… …
- Strength- I need prayers, I’ve changed my life 7 years ago and have not been in any trouble. I’ve given my life to God and believe… …
- Workday Prayer- Dear Lord, I pray for a good work day. One without anxiety. One that goes by quickly. I pray for Jesus to be there with… …
- Prayer for Job- I need a new job sponsorship in the UK this month. I am scared now, the job that I was hoping for seems difficult to… …
- In need of God’s strength- I’m going through a very difficult time in my Life. I’m swimming in debts all around. I can’t pay for the house, the car and… …
- Stable foundation- Let no doubt over take me let not my faith be as sand escaping threw my fingers at the time of temptations and deserts but… …
- Giving up- Please pray for strength in me. I have 2 coworkers that have been picking on me trying to cause me to lose my job because… …
- God’s direction- Please pray for God’s direction and clarification in my life. The Lord has put in my heart for a healing ministry. I need The Holy… …
- To clean the vessel- I come boldly I the name of CHRIST whom strengthens me. I ask for the ability, faith and authority of Jesus power to clean up… …
- Praying for Holy Spirit Boldness- Praise God.. I am requesting that the saints too stand in agreement and pray for me too have a closer relationship with the Lord..i want… …
- Housing- I gave my apt owner 30 days notice and I need to be out of this apt by March 31st. Pray that I find another… …
- Spiritual warrior- I would love a prayer so that I could be a stringer spiritual warrior and be able to help does who had lost the faith… …
More prayers posted in: Strength
Have you ever needed supernatural strength to face a situation head-on, but not known what to pray? God is waiting and wants to offer us strength in time of need. Do not be afraid to pray and ask God for His strength to fall upon you! When you are weak, weary or unready to stand, and unsure of what to ask, pray along with these words!
A Prayer for Strength
Lord, I’m weary. My energy is sagging, and my motivation is lagging. And I am so in need of you. I need your strength and your fresh touch to get back on track again. Your Word says the joy of the Lord is my strength. If that’s true, then I need your joy to replace all the bone-tired parts of my mind, body, and soul.
The pressures of life sometimes push me into a corner, rendering me helpless to move forward. A hundred voices call my name, and I feel paralyzed at times to answer, not knowing where to turn. Lord, help me not to quit, to keep running the race faithfully, and to find strength in that safe, secret place of yours, under the shadow of the Almighty.
I need your strength to say no when I’m tempted to surrender to harmful things, or when selfishness clings to my clothes and won’t let go. I need your strength to say yes, when cowardice and fear nudge me to deny the convictions of my heart. I need your strength to reach out in love to those both close to me and all around me. When don’t I need your strength, God?
You are my rock, and I run to you today, believing that you will lift up my heavy arms, that you will fuel me for the tasks you’ve given me, and that your joy will completely consume the weakness of my life and make me strong again. I don’t want to stay grounded, crippled by limitations and failed attempts. I’m tired of feeble efforts. Lord, I want to mount up with wings like an eagle and not just fly. I want to soar.
Renew my strength, Lord. Fill me with your supernatural power to overcome each obstacle in my path. With my eyes on you, Lord, with you walking beside me, working through me, I can make it. Thank you, Lord!
In Jesus’s name, Amen
A Prayer for Strength and Encouragement
Lord, like David, I need your encouragement in a time of trial and anguish. Thank you that you are always on the throne, always my God, ready to save. Thank you for being the same God to me that you were to David. Thank you for always being near and always rescuing me from my fears and hurts. Lord, help me remember that daybreak might be just ahead, that this trial will not last forever. Fill me with hope that daybreak is coming and that your love will always prevail! In Jesus’ Name, Amen!
~ A Good Thing Devotional
A Prayer for Strength to Endure
Lord, I am weary and don’t know when this “race” will end in my life. I feel like I’ve been running forever, trying to outrun this trial. Help me to stop trying to outrun my pain but rather run with endurance the race you have set before me. I know that because of you I am ultimately a victor over the trials in my life. I know that nothing in this world can separate me from your steadfast love. Please give me a measure of your love today; give me the strength to endure this trial. Thank you for your love for me that never ends! And thank you for the crown of joy that awaits me forever in your Kingdom!
~ Adrian Rogers, Love Worth Finding
What are you praying for strength for today? Join our large praying community in the comments below and experience the power, hope, and comfort of being joined in prayer!
Here are more Prayers for Strength when you need God to lift you up in hard times!
Additional Prayer Resources
Here is a collection of some of our favorite Bible verses about the promises of God’s strength. May these give you hope and encouragement to persevere with a bold confidence! Find the complete list at BibleStudyTools.com’s Scripture page.
- “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.” ~ Isaiah 40:29
- “those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” ~ Isaiah 40:31
- “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9
- “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” ~ Psalm 46:1
- “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.” ~ Psalm 28:7-8
Rebecca Barlow Jordan is an inspirational author, speaker, and passionate follower of Jesus who loves to encourage others heart to heart. She has written 11 books and over 1700 other articles, greeting cards, and other inspirational pieces. Her daily devotional Daily in Your Presence is available for delivery through Crosswalk.com. You can find out more about Rebecca at www.rebeccabarlowjordan.com.
Publication date: August 4, 2015, Updated: January 22,2018
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Messiah, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, you know what’s hidden in my heart. You know my thoughts and my motives. You know when I am weak and feel discouraged.
I submit my prayers to you, Oh God, on this beautiful day. Give me courage, strength and confidence to face the trials and temptations that may lay ahead.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
Give me strength
I give my life to you today, Oh Father, just take control and guide me along the way. There are times I may think that I do not have the strength to defeat the enemy as he attacks me in my daily life. Restore my courage and faith in you, Oh King of Heaven.
Help me to be confident both in myself as well as in You, for I know I will mount up on wings like an eagle and sore high with You on the throne.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
Isaiah 40:31 but those who wait upon the shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint.
Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.”
Praying for confidence
And even as I ask for confidence Dear Lord, help me to remain humble in all that I do. Give me the courage to face my fears, to stand up for myself, to fight for what I believe in, to bless others and to minister your Word.
Let the fire that burns within me touch the lives of others and manifest your love and grace to all. In Jesus’ Holy Name, AMEN!!!
Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Psalms 3:6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me round about.
Recommended Reading: The Esther Anointing: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Courage, and Influence
I’m a young Christian, from South Trinidad, seeking the wisdom of the Word and God’s blessings on my life. A journey, that’s just begun, but living to the Glory of God.
Each day, life presents choices. Each day, I keep choosing courage, light, fearless love, fierce depth. I will walk about a fake planet and be real. I will walk among the shadows and be light. I will walk among lies and be truth. I will walk among sleepwalkers and be awake. I will walk among fear and be love. In the light of my consciousness, you will have more choices. Choices to remain asleep or to awaken. But I won’t go back into my cave to please anyone. I won’t live this stupid reality and let my life mean nothing. My life is purposeful, dammit! It’s by no accident that I am here. It’s by no accident that I know. It’s by no accident that I see. It’s by no accident that I feel. I will never give into that which cannot bear this task. I CAN.
-The Lightworker’s Prayer
My task is to open your heart, to facilitate and further the readiness and effectiveness of Lightworker’s, so that they may perform their mission to Gaia with more awareness, ability and heart.