A Prayer for Faith and Understanding
By Dick Woodward
“Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’” – John 20:29
As we ponder the definition of faith we hear it said that believing is seeing. “When I see it I’ll believe it” is the way some would put it. In the verse quoted above David clearly writes that we believe first and then our believing leads us to the seeing of what we believe.
Biblical faith always has an unseen object. According to other Scriptures there will always be evidence that the unseen object of our faith exists, but when our faith is biblical faith the object of that faith will be unseen (Hebrews 11:6). Seeing does not lead to believing because we already have the object of our faith when we see, but believing does lead to seeing according to David and other authors of the Bible.
A rural pastor told his people that when they invited him home for dinner after church he was always hoping they would have southern fried chicken. If he had no reason to believe that would be the menu he could only hope there would be chicken for dinner. But when he came into their home if he smelled chicken and if he saw from the living room chicken gravy on the dining room table, those things were the evidence of the object he could not see. He could now believe there was chicken in the kitchen and he would have it for dinner.
David tells us that after the believing that leads to seeing, all we have to do is wait on the Lord until we see the object of our faith. Are you believing God for something you cannot yet see?
Dear Lord, we cannot see you but we trust that you are there. We trust that you hold the world in the palm of your hand. Help us to live every day with this perspective. Help us to understand that faith is found in the small actions of kindness we make. When we comfort the grieving, when give help to the homeless, we are declaring your victory. Amen.
*Editor’s Note: The following is an abridged version of What is Faith? By Pastor Dick Woodward. To see the full devotion, follow this link.
The Lord is faithful to his promises and loving to all he has made. Father, help me to find faith in these trying times. Often I have no idea where my life is headed. I seems like my life is spinning out of control most times.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Situations come my way that I cannot face, decisions need to be made and I do not know which is the right choice. Obstacles seem insurmountable, enemies seem unbeatable. I feel scared and alone. But God… You are the author and finisher of my faith.
Psalm 145:13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your authority endures from one generation to another.
God is faithful about everything he says and merciful in everything he does.
I trust you with my entire heart at times and other times I find my faith dwindling. I find it hard to muster that mustard seed of faith. Abba, today I pray for renewal of my faith.
Even though my future seems uncertain, I will look to you, I will keep my eyes turned to you. My spirit would be at rest knowing you are in control of my life.
You may also be interested in these articles:
- Prayer: For increase in the Fruit of the Spirit
- Prayer: All Things Work Together for Good
Take control of not only my life God, but also my mind and renew my strength. Let me run and not be weary, let me walk and not faint.
Help me Abba to always know you are in control and your grace is sufficient for me. I pray all this, in the Mighty and Holy Name of Jesus, AMEN!!
James 1:6 But he must ask in faith, without any doubts, for the one who has doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.
Lord, I believe:
I wish to believe in Thee.
Lord, let my
be full and unreserved,
and let it penetrate my thought,
my way of judging Divine things and human things.
Lord, let my
and give peace and gladness to my spirit,
and dispose it for
and conversation with men,
so that the inner bliss of its fortunate possession
may shine forth in sacred and secular conversation.
Lord, let my
be humble and not presume
to be based on the experience of my thought and of my
but let it surrender to the testimony of the Holy Spirit,
and not have any better guarantee than in docility to
and to the authority of the magisterium of the Holy Church.
Below is a prayer for hope and faith. Often times, life can overwhelm us. We feel desperate and distant from god. It is during these times that we need hope most of all.
Remember that God is always with you. Guiding your actions even when you don’t feel his presence.
Submit a prayer request below. By praying together, we can all feel the comfort of the Lord together.
A Prayer for Hope
Heavenly father, I am your humble servant,
I come before you today in need of hope.
There are times when I fell helpless,
There are times when I feel weak.
I pray for hope.
I need hope for a better future.
I need hope for a better life.
I need hope for love and kindness.
Some say that the sky is at it’s
darkest just before the light.
I pray that this is true, for all seems dark.
I need your light, Lord, in every way.
I pray to be filled with your light from
head to toe. To bask in your glory.
To know that all is right in the world,
as you have planned, and as you want
it to be.
Help me to walk in your light, and live
my life in faith and glory.
In your name I pray, Amen.
Table of contents
Bible Verses About Hope and Joy
“He who goes out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him.”
Whenever i’m feeling hopeless, I turn to the scriptures. There are many passages that inspire and encourage myself when i’m feeling down. Get Inspired, check out these Bible Verses about Joy
Get Hope by Praying with Others
Write your own prayer request below and help pray for others who are in similar circumstances. Together, with God, we can live lives of strength, faith and hope.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Hope”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Unplanned Situation- I laid with a woman in 05/2018 whom became pregnant naming me as the father. I, in my heart, sincerely do not believe i am… …
- Faith- Please pray that the blinders will be lifted from my eyes and that I will believe in God’s willingness to save me. I have such… …
- Mercy please- 5 years ago during an addiction I did some wrong things. Now I have been charged criminally with those things. I am deeply remorseful and… …
- I need help from suicide- Lord, please seek out to help me. I need protection from the evil spirits that are haunting me. I am a failure and I prayed… …
- Peace and Contentment- Heavenly Father I pray for your peace that strengthens my spirit and help me to be content with my life as it is. Release any… …
- For my son- Please pray for my son Joshua that he will be a disciple of Jesus Christ. …
- Pray for my friend to quite his weed addiction- My friend nicklas is a bright young man with enormous potential, but his addiction to weed is keeping him down. His spirit is shackled by… …
- Hope- Dear Lord I pray for hope in my hopeless situation i no u are with me father. This is bigger than me i will step… …
- Prayer for the world- Please pray for everyone in the world. Pray for peace, healing, and wholeness of body, protection, love, and justice for all. Pray that all the… …
- For a marching spot in my upcoming marching band season- I want y’all to pray for me so that I can get a marching spot in the upcoming 2019-2020 marching band show next school year… …
- Faith- Please pray that the blinders will be lifted from my eyes, and that I will believe in God’s willingness to save me. I have such… …
- Home of my own- I am losing my hope. I fought in 2 wars. I pay all my bills and taxes. And I can’t seem to get approval for… …
- Blessing- Please pray for me Life is very difficult for me .I m in final year in the university, Please pray that I get a good… …
- Hope- My goal about my vacation traveling to Nigeria. and find a good place new home and job. I wanna surprise him there. …
- Marked for death- I’m marked for Death.I saw Francis robbing a elderly widow out of her multimillion dollar property.I tried to stop Francis not know Francis was a20year… …
- Come into my life- I just need prayers that the Lord will come into my life stronger. I’m a firm believer, but I’m a weak Christian. …
- Need a secure with Jesus blood and deliverance with from enemies and anxiety- Heavenly Father.. thank you for choosing us to be with your god children.. thank you for listening to us our prayers.. and did everything for… …
- Nursing Career- I am a mature General Nursing Student who unfortunately in the fourth year 1st internship failed and failed on repeat. I found the college not… …
- Help me find another job- I’ve been looking for another for a year. And no one has hired me. I feel really sad. I’m not sure no one is calling… …
- Walter Brown Release- My son had been incarcerated since 2016 serving 5 years. Lord release him early. I know God is a miracle worker and can do anything… …
More prayers posted in: Hope