Finding the right words of condolences to offer the bereaved is difficult. There are no right words; there’s nothing you could say that will make the pain go away. However, there are short and simple condolence messages you can send to a grieving person.
- 1 What is a Condolence Message?
- 2 Things You Should Never Say to a Grieving Person
- 3 Short and Simple Condolences Messages
- 4 Heartfelt Condolence messages on death of husband
- 5 Deep condolence message on death of wife
- 6 Condolences message to a friend who lost his father
- 7 Condolence message on death of mother
- 8 Condolence message on death of brother
- 9 Condolence messages for loss of sister
- 10 Touching condolence message on death of a Child
- 11 Condolence message on death of mentor
- 12 Sincere Condolence Messages on loss of a pet
- 13 Sample Miscellaneous sympathy messages for family:
- 14 Prayer to Keep Family Together
- 15 Bible Verses about Family
- 16 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Family”
- 17 Recent prayer requests…
What is a Condolence Message?
A condolence message is a heartfelt or sympathetic message you send to someone in a time of sadness, specifically, during the time of death.
When someone loses a loved one, one of the necessary things you have to do is show sympathy and the most acceptable way to show compassion is to pick out a simple, heartfelt condolence message that says conveys your sympathy and try and be there for the person as much as you can.
Things You Should Never Say to a Grieving Person
Although your condolence messages or words of encouragement might not be enough to cheer up a grieving friend, careless words could hurt them further.
Here are a couple of things to avoid saying to a grieving person or expecting from someone who is grieving.
- Don’t expect a thank you.
- Do not rationalize.
- Don’t say it is probably for the best.
- Don’t say you are not the first person to lose someone.
- Don’t say move on.
- Don’t say the deceased is in a better place.
- Don’t go making false promises.
If you are terrible at consoling people who just lost a loved one, then you will find this list of sympathy messages handy.
Short and Simple Condolences Messages
These simple words of sympathy are appropriate for situations when you didn’t know the deceased, or you aren’t close to the bereaved. For example, you are accompanying a friend to a funeral, or your co-worker lost his best friend.
If someone loses an uncle, an aunt, a friend, an in-law or even a grandparent and you did not know the deceased use the following straightforward and short words of condolence:
- “Accept my condolences.”
- “My deepest sympathy.”
- “I’m very saddened to hear of your loss.”
- “I am so sorry for your loss.”
- “My heart goes out to you in your time of sorrow.”
- “Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “My prayers are with you and family.”
- “Accept my deepest and heartfelt condolences.”
- “Accept my warm and heartfelt sympathy.”
- “I am thinking of you during this time. Please accept my deepest condolences.”
Heartfelt Condolence messages on death of husband
Losing a spouse is a painful emotional experience for anyone. When we fall in love, among the things we fear could end a relationship, death is something we never include.
The best way to offer condolences to someone who just lost a husband is to say a little heartfelt word of sympathy and offer to help out.
You can offer to pick up the children, or drop them at their grandmas’, get some so groceries, bring them food as the family is on shutdown at such moments.
These are heartfelt condolences messages that can convey your sympathy to a friend or someone who just lost her husband:
- “I’m sorry for your loss. May God ease this painful period for you, Stay strong.”
- “Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your husband.”
- “May God bless and comfort you and your family during this difficult period, please accept my sincere condolences.”
- “My heart goes out to you and your family on the passing of your husband, father and best friend, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “I’m sorry for your loss, with time and courage you will sail through these rough waters.”
- “I can not possibly imagine what you feel right now, let me know if there is anything I can do to ease your pain at this difficult period.”
- “I heard about the passing of your husband; I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that he was a great friend, and he will be sorely missed.”
- “I am deeply honored and blessed to have known your husband. He was blessing in my life, and I will forever carry him in my heart. Accept my condolences.”
- “I was so deeply saddened to hear of your husband’s passing. He was a wonderful man. You have my deepest sympathy.”
- “My heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. I know you had a great marriage and loved him so much. I share your grief at this trying time.”
Deep condolence message on death of wife
Condolence messages on loss of wife
When a man loses his wife, it takes him time to realize just how much is about to change. Apart from your message of condolence, he could use your help with home errands such as food and in caring for the children.
These are sympathy messages for someone who just lost his wife:
- “Please accept my sincere sympathy for the loss of your wife. I share in the grief of you and your family at this sad time.”
- “I am deeply saddened by the loss of your wife. She will be truly missed, and I will include you and your family in my daily prayers.”
- “A person that departs from this earth never truly leaves, for they are still alive in our hearts and minds, through us, they live on. Surely she will not be forgotten.”
- “My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family during this difficult period. May you find the comfort and peace that you seek and may the soul of your wife rest in peace.”
- “I cannot even begin to understand what you are going through right now, but I would like to offer my prayers and condolences to you and your family.”
- “Please accept my condolences on the passing of wife. It is an honor to have known such a great person, and I will truly miss her.”
- “My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family. I will surely miss her presence; she was a lovable and kind person.”
- ‘May the fond memories of your wife bring you comfort during this hard time in your life. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.”
- “At this trying period in your life, I pray that God will grant you the serenity and peace that you need to get through this. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “Your wife was an exceptional person and will be missed. You have my most sincere sympathy for her passing.”
Condolences message to a friend who lost his father
The loss of a father is massive.
Your message of condolences will depend on the recipient. If it is a co-worker or a friend who lost his father, a simple message of condolence is appropriate what if it is a child? That requires more finesse and empathy.
These are appropriate words of sympathy for someone who just lost a father:
- “So sorry to hear this sad news. I’m thinking of you and your family at this time.”
- “He is a great loss to all the people who know him. May his soul rest in peace.”
- “Sympathies to your family on the passing of your father. He will always be in our hearts.”
- “May I offer my sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your father, God bless his soul.”
- “Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dad. His life is an inspiration to me and many others.”
- “I may never fathom how painful this loss is for you; please be assured that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Accept my sympathy.”
- “Your father’s vision of life was remarkable. He was indeed an inspiration to us all. Please accept my condolences.”
- “I am so sorry to hear about your father’s passing. We hope that the love of family and friends will comfort and strengthen you in the days ahead.”
- “My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your father. It is never easy to lose a parent, no matter their age. I pray for your peace and comfort during this difficult period.”
- “Our condolences to you at this sad time. Your father was a wonderful man. He always had a calming effect on everyone around him. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
Condolence message on death of mother
“When I lost my mom, I cried until my insides hurt and my tears ran out.” – Nicholas Owen
These are some deep words of sympathy for someone who just lost a mother, if you knew the mother well enough, a short story or mention of the impact she had on you would be helpful.
- “Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your mother, know that I’m available if you need a shoulder to cry on. God bless her soul.”
- “I extend to you my deep and heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that she was a great mother to me, and she will never be forgotten.”
- “I offer you my thoughts, prayers, and well wishes during this dark time in your life. May the soul of your dear mother rest in peace.”
- “It is terrible to hear about your loss. I express my sincere sympathy to you and your family. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “I am deeply saddened by the great loss you and your family have suffered. My heart goes out to you in this trying time and may you, and your loved ones find the strength to get through this.”
- “I hope that the Lord brings you and your family the much-needed comfort and peace during this sad time. My condolences to you and your family.”
- “Losing someone we love is never easy, but we must be thankful for, the beautiful moments and memories we shared with them. Your mother was a beautiful and kind soul, and she will not be forgotten.”
- “I would like to express my sorrow and condolences to you and your family. I pray you and your family find the fortitude to bear this great loss.”
- “Once the tears have dried up, and you have said your goodbyes, what is left is the beautiful and happy memories that you shared with your mother. May you find comfort in the memories you shared with your mom, accept my sincere condolences.”
- “Please accept my condolences, know that I am here for you if you need any help.”
Condolence message on death of brother
“A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams.”
Losing a brother is never easy, most times the surviving siblings wonder if there is anything they could have done and then they find something and blame themselves.
Empathy, in this case, is more important than sympathy.
It is always helpful to offer simple condolences phrases such as “There was nothing you could have done.” “It’s not your fault.”
These simple words of sympathy are appropriate for someone who just lost a brother:
- “My heart goes out to you and your family on the passing of your brother. Accept my sincere condolences”.
- “Accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your brother; he was a kind and gentle soul. God bless his soul”.
- “My thoughts are with you and your family at this hard time caused by the painful loss of your dear brother. Accept my deepest sympathy”.
- “There are no words to express my sorrow for your loss, may you find comfort in the loving memories you shared while he was alive. Accept my condolences.”
- “He can only be physically gone but never the life lived and the memories shared. Have faith and be strong, may his soul rest in peace”.
- “It’s awful and sad to hear about the sudden and painful exit of your dear brother. My deepest and sincere sympathy goes to you and your family”.
- “Every time you miss him, search in your heart, there you can feel him, be with him and embrace him. May his gentle soul rest in peace.”
- “Your brother shall forever be cherished. In our minds, he lives on. It is an honor to serve alongside your brother. My condolences to you and your family.”
- “Your brother is the kindest and bravest person I have ever met, Stay strong and know that he continues to live in our heart. My sympathies.”
- “I know there are no words to comfort you right now. If there is anything I can do to help ease your grief during this trying period, please do not hesitate to reach out to me”. My condolences to you and your family.”
Condolence messages for loss of sister
It’s easier to miss her at a cemetery, where she’s never been anything but dead than to miss her at all the places where she was alive. —John Scalzi
These are examples of words of condolences you can offer to a friend or co-worker who just lost a sister:
- “I just heard about your sister’s passing. You have my heartfelt sympathy.”
- I am very saddened to hear of your loss. Accept my deepest condolences.”
- “I’m always there in your hour of need. May her soul rest in peace.”
- “I am sorry for your loss. I am available if you need anything or if there’s anything you’d like to talk about.”
- “I know mere words aren’t enough, but I want to let you know how sorry I am for your loss.”
- “May our Lord bless and comfort you and your family during this time of grief. Please accept my sincere condolences.”
- “I am forever grateful for the opportunity to know your sister and I will surely miss her warm smile, my deepest sympathies.”
- “In this sad time, I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to you and your family on the painful exit of your dear sister. She was so important to our world, and will never be forgotten.”
- “I am sorry to hear about your sister, she lived a fabulous life and was an inspiration to everyone who knew her. My deepest condolences.”
- “I know that you are going through a tough time, just know that I am here for you. I am truly sorry for your loss.”
Touching condolence message on death of a Child
Losing a child is like a sword through the heart a thousand times, it is death by a thousand paper cuts, and it is not uncommon for marriages to crash shortly after the death of a child.
It is a sensitive period for the parents, so it is best to keep to a simple word of condolences.
Here are ten simple condolence messages for a family that just lost their child:
- “Very saddened to hear this news. My thoughts are with you.”
- “In moments of a great ordeal, words are useless. God rest his soul.”
- “Your loss deeply saddens me, May you find the strength to get through this.”
- “In this sorrowful time, may the love of family and strength from friends comfort you.”
- “You and your family are in my prayers during this difficult period. Accept my condolences.”
- “She will always be remembered, as I will forever hold her in my heart. God rest her soul.”
- “We will never forget the image of his energetic and bright face. May God grant him eternal rest and the family the strength to bear his untimely passing.
- “I pray that your heart and soul will find peace and comfort during this difficult period. Accept my deepest condolences.”
- “My sincere condolences to your family on the immeasurable loss you suffered. Know that you are in my prayers.”
- “I can’t imagine what your family must be feeling right now, but I want you to know that I’m just a phone call away if there is anything I can do to help you get through this. My heartfelt condolences.”
Condolence message on death of mentor
These are sincere condolences message you can send to the family of a late teacher, mentor, boss, principal or any figure of authority in your life.
If you have a good memory of your mentor, you can share it with the bereaved to recognize the role the deceased played in your life.
“I will always remember the day; he met me crying in the hallway because of some trouble at home. He took me home and told me to wait in the car; I saw him have a word with my mother and from that day, my parents never fought again, well at least not in front of me.”
Stories like this can offer some comfort to the grieving family.
These are 10 condolence messages you can offer someone who lost a teacher or a mentor:
- “I was deeply saddened to hear your loss. My deepest sympathies to your family for this great loss.”
- “I pray that in this difficult time, the love of God shelters you and mend the pain as you move forward.”
- “May God put him in a special place from where he will be watching us, the people who loved and cherished him. Accept my deepest condolences.”
- “Death can never take a good man away, for, in the hearts of the people he inspired, the legacy remains and continuous throughout generations. He was a great teacher and father to many and may his soul find eternal rest.”
- “In this time of grief, your family is in my thoughts and prayers; I will forever be grateful for the impact she had on my life growing up. Please accept my deepest sympathies.”
- “I will forever cherish his leadership and guidance. I will carry him forever in my heart. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.”
- “My deepest condolences go out to your family. I will miss the presence of the truly lovable and kind person she was.”
- “May the care and love of those around you provide comfort and peace needed to get through the days ahead. My sincere condolences.”
- “It’s so sad that my great mentor is gone so soon. I pray his family finds the love and strength needed to forge ahead in his huge absence. My deepest sympathies.”
- “Accept my deepest sympathies. His dedicated tutorship and unrelenting discipline formed the bulk of my life’s foundation.”
Sincere Condolence Messages on loss of a pet
For some people, the death of a pet could sting more than the loss of a friend. I’m not making this up; some pet owners are more attached to their pets than humans.
This means when someone loses a pet, a condolence message on the loss of the pet is in order.
Here are some sample condolence messages on the loss of a pet:
- “I’m very saddened to hear of your loss. she was a cute cat.”
- “I was saddened to hear that you lost your furry family member.”
- “I am praying for you as you mourn the loss of your family member, playmate, and friend.”
- “Your dog was downright the cutest and best dog, I’ve ever seen. Accept my sincere sympathies.”
- “Accept my condolences on the loss of your pet; I know you shared many beautiful memories together.”
- “My heart goes out to you and your family as you grieve the loss of a very lovable member of your family.”
- “Losing a pet is never easy, and it reminds us of the huge role they played in our lives, cherish the memories.”
- “I am so sorry for you had to put down your dog. I admire your bravery and love; you are a great pet owner.”
- “My deepest sympathy on the loss of your dog, I’ve known that dog for as long as I’ve known you, she will be missed.”
- “Accept my deepest, and heartfelt condolences on the loss of your pet, who I know is also a member of your family, may the beautiful memories of your pet, comfort you in what must be a sad period for you.”
When someone loses a pet, avoid making statements such as “You can always get another pet.” It is equivalent to telling a boy who just lost his father, your mother will remarry soon and you will no longer miss your father. Stupid right? Yes, it is insensitive, and you should never say or imply that to a pet owner.
Remember, the best condolences message is one that conveys your sympathy.
The loss of a family member leaves the family shattered and a void in the family. The sympathy wishes for the loss of the family member can be sent through cards, text messages along with condolence notes to the members.
Following are expressive samples of sympathy messages to send on the loss of a dear family member:
1). Dear friend, I extend my deepest sympathies for the loss of your family member. I pray to the Lord to bless you with courage during this hard time.
2). This text carries sympathies to my cousin for the death of the family member. I hope you and your family get all the support and strength to sail through this difficult time.
3). Through this text, I would like to offer my sympathies for my colleague who has lost a family member. Be strong and have faith in Lord for it is He who will give you courage.
4). Dear sister, I extend my loving sympathies for the loss of the family member. I hope this difficult time sails away with grace and you get all the strength.
5). Through this text, sending sympathies to my brother for the loss of the family member. Stay strong and this hard time would fade away soon to be back to normal life.
- sympathy messages for family member
- loss of family member sympathy
- LOSS OF FAMILY MEMBER
- sympathy message for family member
- loss of family member sympathy messages
- condolences for family member
- card for loss family member
- loss of a family member message
- sympathy messages for a family member
- sympathy for the funeral of a family member
A family is a bonding of people of same blood. The family members are united in all aspects and are there for each other at any cost. The sympathy wishes for the family can be sent to the family as a whole or to each of the family members. The sympathy wishes for the family can be sent to the family members through condolences cards or text messages. In addition to that, one can record the condolences and sympathy wishes on a DVD and sending it to the family. The family can send thank you wishes for all the people who have sent condolences and sympathy wishes on the loss of a family member. Following are some of the sympathy messages to family example sent in different ways:
Sympathy Messages for Loss of Family Member
The loss of a family member leaves the family shattered and a void in the family. The sympathy wishes for the loss of the family member can be sent through cards, text messages along with condolence notes to the members.
“I extend my sympathy wishes and condolences to the family on the loss of the beloved family member. I am deeply saddened with the sudden loss and pray to God to give eternal peace to the departed soul.”
Sympathy Messages for Patients Family
The sympathy wishes for the patient’s family are sent on the demise of the patient due to any illness or sickness. The sympathy wishes can be sent through cards or text messages to the family of the patient. The wishes would comfort the patient’s family and help them to recover from the grief of the loss.
“I extend my sympathy wishes for the patient’s family on the untimely loss of their son. I pray to the Lord to bless the departed soul with eternal peace and to give the family support and strength to sail through the difficult time.”
Sympathy Messages for Friend Family
The sympathy wishes for the friend family are sent to extend express condolences on the death of the friend. The sympathy wishes for the friend’s family would comfort the family and help them to lessen their grief on the loss.
“I extend my sympathy wishes to my friend’s family for the sudden loss of my friend. The sudden demise of my friend is utterly appalling and shocking for me and I pray to the Lord to give the family strength to cope up with the loss.”
Sympathy Message for Family illness
The sympathy wishes for the family illness are sent to the family to sympathize and express get well soon for the illness the family is suffering. The sympathy wishes for the family illness can be sent through cards, text messages or through sympathy wishes video clips for the family members.
“I extend my sympathy wishes for the illness the family is suffering from. I hope and pray to the Lord to give you strength and recover the family from the outbreak of illness the members are suffering from.”
Sample Miscellaneous sympathy messages for family:
“For the rare illness the family members are suffering from, I extend my sympathy wishes and prayers to Lord to help you all recover from it soon. Get well soon with good health. “
“For the sudden loss of my friend, I send my condolences and sympathy wishes for the friend’s family and pray to the lord to give you support during the difficult time.”
“I send my condolences and sympathy wishes for the sudden demise of the patient. The wishes are for the patient’s family and I pray to the Lord to bless the soul with eternal peace.”
“For the untimely loss of the family member, I extend my condolences and heartfelt sympathy wishes. I pray to the lord to give the departed soul eternal peace and strength to the family. “
- sympathy notes for loss of family member
- sympathy message to family members
- Condolence Message to the Family
- sympathy messages
- Loss of Family Member Message
- condolence messages for family
- Loss of a Family Member Condolences
- sympathy message for loss of family member
- messages about family
- sympathy messages for family members
Here, we have a prayer for family to ask for God’s help in strengthening a family’s bond. Sometimes, members of our families can be the cause of a lot of stress and worry.
Bring them closer to yourself, and God with this family prayer.
Prayer to Keep Family Together
Say this prayer to help bring your family closer together. Make sure to say the names of any family member you want included in the prayer. Your husband (or wife), sons, daughters, father or mother.
Use this prayer, and write your own at the bottom of this page.
A Prayer for Family
Please shine your light upon my family.
Give us strength to overcome all of the
difficulties that we are dealing with now
and protect us against any and all problems
we may encounter in the future.
O Lord, please bring us together as we
are meant to be. May the love that binds
us only grow stronger as we fulfill the destiny
you have laid out for us.
Grant my family forgiveness for any sins we
have committed. May we also forgive one
another Lord, as it is sometimes difficult to do.
Bless us Lord,
In your name I pray, Amen
Bible Verses about Family
“For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
Check out what the bible has to say about family with these Bible Verses.
Family is an important part of one’s life, and is also very important to God. From Adam and Eve onward, God made humans to be together with love to guide and support one another. Through prayer we can make our families stronger.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Family”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Please help me pray for my family for healing and myself- Please help me pray for my family for healing and myself. Help me pray for mentally, physically, and emotional healing for me and my family.… …
- For God to provide for our family- My husband has not been paid for the last two months, We are going through many problems due to this and cant even pay the… …
- Pray for our married life- We are facing some challenges in our married life, financially and children. please pray for our closeness. so that we can grow with god. so… …
- Peace in my Family, raging alcoholic Father- Please bring peace and reconciliation to my family, Attila, the father who has serious mental/Alcohol problems, my 2 daughters Anna & Diana that they love… …
- Better Tomorrow- Prayer for my fiancée that God should grant her good health to live her life and to be a good wife to her husband and… …
- My girls- Lord I pray for your guidance in my daughters life as she navigates through her teen years. May she continue to shine and not fade… …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear God, Thank you for my blessing. Please come to my rescue when my enemies come against me. Please lead me in the right path… …
- Heavenly Father watch over my family- Jesus forgive my sins please bless my son to be a man of God direct his path rebuke the devil from attacking him let no… …
- Family- Thanks so much as am on the prayer challenge right now. I would like you to support me in prayer. My family has two court… …
- Wisdom of Truth- Lord…every now and then I heard story in a different side. .please help me to recognize which is true and not. And give me wisdom… …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear God, thank you for rescuing me and protecting me from my enemies at work. In Jesus name please lead me in the right path.… …
- Addiction- I ask for prayer for my family that I broke apart with my drug addiction. For God to lay his hands on us and for… …
- Protection against evil- Heavenly Father, i come before you today dear Lord acknoledging your the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Lord i thankyou for the… …
- Faith- Help me go trough these tough times as i feel as if im failing. Give me the strength i need to be there for my… …
- Family Healing and Forgiveness- I pray that this situation in my family, especially with my Father and older brother, be resolved as best it can and as quickly as… …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear Brothers and Sisters, Please pray to god to help me this week. I am having so many challenges at work. Please have Abba protect… …
- Financial breakthrough- I would like you to pray for us. My sister and I have been praying for a long time now asking God to give us… …
- Sell my house- Please pray for help in the sale of my house prayed to Saint Joseph and planted the saint’s statue and asked and prayed for his… …
- Guidance /healing- The lords Guidance financially spiritually , to become rooted in the faith , that the Lord would continue to reveal himself to me and my… …
- Keep me and my family safe and healthy- Please pray that me my pets, boyfriend, son and my family stay healthy and pray for our protection from evil people. Please pray that god… …
More prayers posted in: Family