Whether we are seeking forgiveness for our own sins or asking God to help us forgive others, prayer is the first place to start when seeking restoration and healing. The below prayers can help guide your thoughts and words as you seek being forgiven or help in forgiving others. It is a big step to seek out forgiveness and you have taken a bold step in faith!
Before we jump into specific prayers for forgiveness, you may want to take some time to consider what God commands of us concerning forgiveness and why it’s so critical to be able to forgive. Visit our article: What Does the Bible Say About Forgiveness?
Photo credit: ©Thinkstock/DedMityay
There arent many things in life more important than forgiveness. As Christians, we understand that we all make mistakes, and that we must learn to forgive, as God forgives us.
Below are a few sample prayers for forgiveness. Submit your prayer request below to ask God for forgiveness.
A Prayer for Forgiveness
I have sinned, Lord, and while I know that all have sinned and come
short I am having a hard time letting go of my shame and accepting your forgiveness.
I know that I am unworthy of your love, but Your Word promises
forgiveness as long as we confess our sins to You and repent.
I am so sorry for falling short of what You expect of me,
and I pray for your mercy and the strength not to make the same mistakes again.
There are many circumstances when we need to ask to be forgiven. One of the more common circumstances that we see in prayer requests, is asking for forgiveness after an infidelity.
We must learn to forgive even after the most hurtful of actions.
Forgiveness After an Affair
Being betrayed by a spouse is a very painful thing,
but we know, Lord, that it is Your will that we learn to forgive.
What others do should never impact our walk with you, God.
We need to be able to learn to forgive even the most painful breach of trust.
Help us to forgive our spouse the same way that we want You to forgive us,
and give us peace and healing for our broken hearts.
Forgiveness in The Scriptures
The word of God offers us guidance on how to forgive our neighbors, and ourselves.
“Then Peter came up and said to him, Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.””
Read more Bible Verses about Forgiveness
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Forgiveness”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Me and my family- Dear Lord, I pray for your forgiveness. Once again I come to you asking you to forgive me for my sins, I pray that it doesn’t… …
- Repentance, Forgiveness, Strength, and Hope- Lord, please forgive me of trying to live my life without you & leading to my own understanding. Father God, I desperately need u in… …
- Salvation and healing- I have struggled with salvation for years. I need deliverance and knowledge that I am saved and secure in Jesus Christ. I am also disabled… …
- Prayer for my Beloved- Dear God please forgive My fiancé he is a great man who is still paying for a mistake he made at the age of 14.… …
- Prayer Request- I need prayer in the following area. I need God help in delivery me from sinner thoughts. the second thing I need God delivery in… …
- Prayers for Glen- I am praying for Glen to learn to forgive himself as Christ has forgiven him. Praying that he will learn to understand grace but also… …
- Freedom through Jesus- I pray for healing and redemption of my sins through Jesus’ work on the cross. I pray I release all my worries, sins, everything to… …
- Marriage- That me and my husband will start to see eye to eye with out him getting so so angry each time there is a misunderstanding/disagreements. …
- Help me in my Marriage- St Jude. I pray to you as a person that has struggled with weakness. I explored the world of adult content on the internet. My… …
- I need Deliverance- Please pray for me, because I have been under heavy attacks from the enemy for many days now after obeying God, and have been having… …
- To repent- To change my heart and for my flesh to die because I don’t want to sin against my god in Jesus name ask ,amen. …
- Healing, strength- I ask may you pray for me my fiancé and kids give us strength and forgive us of our sins. Help us with learning the… …
- Prayer for Forgiveness- Lord please give me a heart of forgiveness. …
- Forgiveness- Lord I am praying for all the people who have done things to hurt me or my children. Praying to release them to you as… …
- Forgiveness- Help me Lord, help me forgive my ex-wife as we go through a custody dispute and protect our children’s hearts during this difficult time. Help… …
- Prayer for forgiveness and protection- I am a new Christian. I go to Sunday school each Sunday. I believe in god and have been baptized in the father, son, and… …
- Forgiveness of a person who has hurt and used me for self gratification- Please pray that I can be forgiven of Victor who has used me for his own self gratification. I am so angry and hurt inside… …
- Forgiveness- Dear Lord, my almighty God, I have not been a very good person, have committed a few sins, not proud of myself at all, please… …
- Strength and Forgiveness- Dear God, please be with me in these troubled times and forgive me for my trespasses. Help me face the past, help me heal my… …
- God help me to forgive those who hurt me- to ask GOD to help me to forgive those who hurt me, more especially all that mistreatment comes from my family. To ask GOD to… …
More prayers posted in: Forgiveness
Forgiveness and repentance go hand-in-hand in a Christian’s life. We must learn to always forgive others and to ask for forgiveness ourselves. Without repentance, we are liable of judgment from God. If we withhold forgiveness to others, forgiveness will also be withheld from us. Here are 7 prayers focusing on forgiveness and repentance. May we all strive to live as holy as possible by allowing the Spirit to convict us of our sins and to forgive others that sin against us.
There are no words to express how filthy I feel every time I break Your heart. The guilt and the shame are overwhelming! Lord, I need Your touch right now. I am so sick of being “born again” and still doing the things I hate doing. Like Paul, I am conflicted. “For I do not do what I want, but do the very thing that I hate.” (Romans 7:15) I am so sorry! Father, I ask for Your forgiveness right now. I am shocked that my life has come to a point where even some sins don’t affect me at all. Father, I have some hard layers on my heart that need peeling. Please give me a 100% heart of flesh. The hardness is a barrier between us that I can’t stand! I love You and I am so regrettably sorry for my selfish actions. Thank You for Your forgiveness, Lord. Without forgiveness I am nothing. With Your forgiveness I am whole again. I praise Your Name! Amen
Strength To Forgive Others
I can’t seem to shake the harm that’s been done to me off my shoulders. I am wallowing in the anger I feel. Lord, I shouldn’t think the vengeful thoughts that I have. You have called me to forgive every single person that wrongs me. I need Your strength to overcome these trespasses against me. Father, I want to forgive these people. Please cast the devil’s evil ways from me. I want to look at these people and see lost souls that need You. I want to forgive them completely so that You can use me however You wish, to be Jesus to them. Father, I am done with holding these grudges! Forgive me for holding on to them. I cast this burden at Your throne now. Do with me as you please Father. I love You and thank you for Your patience with me. Amen
Why do You forgive us? We shout praises to You when we sing worship. With the same tongue we curse other people that are made in Your image. (James 3:9 reference) Why do You forgive us? We say we love You and still keep sinning. Why do You forgive us? We spend time in prayer thanking You for your blessings and then we refuse to bless others. Why do You forgive us? We read our Bibles when we make time for it, but we also read other nonsense that is offensive to You. Why do You forgive us? We praise Jesus for His death on the cross for the atonement of our sins and then we nail Him to it again every time we trespass against You. Why do You forgive us every single time? I am so thankful for your endless supply of forgiveness! I can’t fathom how You do it, for I am only one man. You do this for every single person! The compassion and grace and mercy that flow from You is absolutely amazing and I love You for it! Thank you so much for forgiving me every time I sin! You are worthy to be praised! Amen
Repentance From Unbelievers
Father in heaven,
My heart grieves for those close to me that do not want to know You. They are lost souls wandering wherever the devil takes them. They are fulfilling their own desires of the flesh instead of yearning for the life that You give. Father, use me or anyone that You please to show Christ-like love to them. Father, I love these men and women and to think of them in eternal torment is tormenting me! I pray that the seeds that are planted in them Lord will be grown by You. You make miracles happen every day and I pray that You make one today in the lives of the lost. I praise Your Holy Name! Amen
Forgiveness For Children
Just as Job continually offered burnt offerings to you for the forgiveness of his children, (Job 1:5) I am praying for the forgiveness of mine. Lord, only You know what they have done. If they have sinned against You I pray that You would forgive them. I pray that they would seek repentance to make things right with You. Lord, if there is any sin that needs to be forgiven, I pray that You would soften their hearts and bring them safely into Your arms of grace and mercy. I thank you for Your unlimited love for us! Amen
You are all-powerful! Even Your thoughts produce action. I pray for our leaders in the government. Lord, they also have power, though it is limited. I pray that they would use their positions wisely, for You are the One who has allowed them to lead us. We need strong men and women of faith in these kinds of roles. I pray that our men and women in authority will strive to live godly lives and to repent when necessary. As in Animal Farm, “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” If there is any corruption, I pray that our leaders would repent and ask for forgiveness, so that our country doesn’t fall apart. I thank you for our leaders and pray for their safety. I love you Father! Amen
I pray for pastors around the world. If there is any un-confessed sin active in their lives, I pray that You would bring them to the deepest valleys if that is what it takes to get them back on the narrow path. We need strong pastors leading our congregations. I pray that You would use the people closest to their pastors to keep them accountable, Lord. Accountability is a must in every Christian’s life. I thank you for our pastors, Lord, for they have a huge role to play here on earth. They have many big responsibilities and I am so grateful that they accept the challenges of pastoring. I love You, Lord! Amen
Forgiveness is absolutely necessary in a Christian’s walk with the Lord. “Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.” (Luke 11:4) God bless you as you live a life worthy of the calling!
Have you read this other article about prayer?
What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?
Resources – The Holy Bible, English Standard Version “Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”
Would you like to get the daily question in your FB messenger? Just click the button below to get started.
Share this post
: | | | |
Christ, Redeemer and Saviour, forgive my sins, just as You forgave Peter’s denial and those who crucified You. Count not my transgressions, but, rather, my tears of repentance. Remember not my iniquities, but, more especially, my sorrow for the offenses I have committed against You. I long to be true to Your Word, and pray that You
love me and come to make Your dwelling place within me. I promise to give You praise and
in love and in service all the days of my life.
Hi readers, it seems you use Catholic Online a lot; that’s great! It’s a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We’re not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging $14.76 and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just $5.00, the price of your coffee, Catholic Online School could keep thriving. Thank you. Help Now >
Take the Prayer Trivia Quiz now!