Death is universal. But, its recognition is unique in relation to individual to individual. However hard we may take a stab at keeping away from death, it’s critical to peruse about it. The more we read about death, the better will be our comprehension of our life. Here are some death anniversary quotes to help you work through the tough times.
To fear death, my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being wise: for it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what we do not know? Socrates (BC 469-BC 399) Greek philosopher of Athens
All that live must die, passing through nature to eternity. William Shakespeare (1564-1616) British poet and playwright.
When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) U.S. poet.
Those who have lived a good life do not fear death, but meet it calmly, and even long for it in the face of great suffering. But those who do not have a peaceful conscience, dread death as though life means nothing but physical torment. The challenge is to live our life so that we will be prepared for death when it comes. Unknown Source
The hour of departure has arrived and we go our ways; I to die, and you to live. Which is better? Only God knows. Socrates (BC 469-BC 399) Greek philosopher of Athens
Death Anniversary Message
To use death anniversary quotes in times of sorrow is a solid approach to work through the grief and loss of a friend or family member.
Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying. Martin Luther (1483-1546) German priest and scholar.
For the sword outwears its sheath, and the soul wears out the breast. And the heart must pause to breathe, and love itself have rest. Lord Byron (1788-1824) British poet.
If a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live. Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968) American black leader.
The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living. Marcus Tulius Cicero (106-43 BC) Writer, politician and great roman orator.
Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all.
Know one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good. Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.
Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them. George Eliot (1819-1880) British writer.
Thank Heaven! the crisis –The danger, is past, and the lingering illness, is over at last –, and the fever called ”Living” is conquered at last. Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1845) American poet, critic, and short-story writer.
Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names. Proverb
Those to whom we say farewell, are welcomed by others. Unknown Source
Death Anniversary Prayers
Some extraordinary death anniversary quotes and some death anniversary prayers to enable you to work through the grieving process.
Die when I may, I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow. Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) Politician. President of the United States.
Death is the liberator of him whom freedom cannot release, the physician of him whom medicine cannot cure, and the comforter of him whom time cannot console. Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832) British clergyman, sportsman and author.
I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. Winston Churchill (1874-1965) British politician.
He has out soared the shadow of our night; envy and calumny and hate and pain, and that unrest which men miscall delight, can touch him not and torture not again; from the contagion of the world’s slow stain, he is secure. Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) English poet.
When it comes to my own turn to lay my weapons down, I shall do so with thankfulness and fatigue, and whatever be my destiny afterward, I shall be glad to lie down with my fathers in honor. It is human at least, if not divine. Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1895) Scottish essayist, poet and novelist
Sadly missed along life’s way, quietly remembered every day…No longer in our life to share, but in our hearts, you’re always there.
May knowing you’re in the hearts and thoughts of others help you and yours through this time of sorrow.
Heartfelt Death Anniversary Message for Friend
There’s a place in my heart which no one can fill, dear friend. I miss you and always will. Your love is always with me. I pray to Lord to bless your soul and give peace and happiness wherever you are.
How big a mess my life is without you, can’t you see? Just like how terribly I am missing you, are you missing me? Instead of being so far apart, together, can we not be?
It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, and a day to love them, but it takes an entire lifetime to forget them. Missing you friend.
His death is an unfortunate loss for all who were his friends and we appreciated him a lot in our hearts, may he rest peacefully and that God will protect him forever.
Three years ago a great woman left this world, she left a great void for her big heart and kindness that we currently miss in our life. May you rest in peace dear friend.
There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.
Life moves on, but memories don’t. You may have gone away but our friendship is right here… in my heart. I miss you.
What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.
You will always be with us. We love and miss you.
It’s easier to lie, to hide the hurt and emptiness, to smile instead of cry, to act like it’s all a dream and pretend that missing you doesn’t hurt. I will live on your loving memories.
I never went back to being the same person since my great companion left this world, it just comforts me to know that you are resting in peace. I will always remember you because you were a very special friend. May God have her/him in his holy glory.
Death Anniversary Messages
Some death anniversary messages can and do help loads of individuals travel through the grieving procedure, particularly in the event that they’re joined with loss and grief.
- Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer.
- The sorrow of the faithful is not that of permanent loss,but the tender sense of sadness that comes in saying good-bye for now to someone we love. May today’s sorrow give way to the peace and comfort of God’s love.
- Extending deepest sympathy for you in your loss. And hoping, too, that comfort and peace may come to you.
- Praying for friends to comfort you, faith to uphold you, and loving memories to help you smile again.
- Words, however kind, can’t mend your heartache. but those who care and share your loss wish you comfort and peace of mind.
- May you find strength in the love of family and in the warm embrace of friends.
Death Anniversary Sayings
Below are listed an entire collection of death anniversary sayings and thoughts that you can use with inspirational grieving quotes.
Whoever you hold in the heart of you Is forever and always a part of you.
To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.~ Thomas Campbell, ‘Hallowed Ground’
Life is eternal, and love is immortal,and death is only a horizon;and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.~ Rossiter Worthington Raymond
While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil. ~John Taylor
Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.~ Author Unknown
For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity. ~ William Penn
The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~ Quoted in The Angels’ Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994
They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies. William Penn
To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die. Thomas Campbell
The life of the dead is placed in the heart of the living. Cicero
Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day, unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear.
Death Anniversary Poems
- May you see God’s light on the path ahead when the road you walk is dark. May you always hear, even in your hour of sorrow, the gentle singing of the lark. When times are hard may hardness never turn your heart to stone, may you always remember when the shadows fall—You do not walk alone. ~ Irish Blessing
- The tide recedes but leaves behind bright seashells on the sand. The sun goes down, but gentle warmth still lingers on the land.The music stops, and yet it echoes on in sweet refrains…..For every joy that passes,something beautiful remains.
- What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch, we may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget.
- It will be the little things that you will remember, the quiet moments, the smiles, the laughter. And although it may seem hard right now, it will be the memories of these little things that help to push away the pain and bring the smiles back again.
Death Anniversary Prayer
- At this time of sorrow, may these truths sustain you…Your loved one will always be as close as a memory, and the God of all comfort will always be as close as a prayer. May these truths sustain you… Your loved one will always be as close as a memory and the God of all comfort will always be as close as a prayer.
- Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.
- The saddest moment is when the person who gave you the best memories, becomes a memory.
- To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die.
- Death is no more than passing from one room into another.
- A grave is braced not just by a tombstone but by angels as well.
- There is no death. Only a change of worlds.
- Death was Nature’s way of telling you to slow down.
- You never stop loving someone,you just learn to live without them…
- Remembering you is easy I do it every day. Missing you is heartache that never goes away.
Check The Latest Updates On:
A writer by day and a reader by night. Daniyal’s educational background includes a BS degree in Computer Sciences and a diploma in IT. He’s a fun guy, a gamer, an ex-footballer and a cool researcher.
Death and dying are parts of life. While some people fear them, others draw inspiration from death.
As nurses, it’s inevitable for us to see some of our patients die and their families deeply grieve for them. Although we can’t bring back their loved ones, there are still ways for us to provide comfort, strength and guidance to the families our patients left behind.
Here are 10 powerful prayers for the departed.
For the recently deceased
In your hands, O Lord,
we humbly entrust our brothers and sisters.
In this life you embraced them with your tender love;
deliver them now from every evil
and bid them eternal rest.
The old order has passed away:
welcome them into paradise,
where there will be no sorrow, no weeping or pain,
but fullness of peace and joy
with your Son and the Holy Spirit
forever and ever.
Prayer for the souls in purgatory
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
Prayer for deceased relatives and friends
Almighty Father, source of forgiveness and salvation, grant that our relatives and friends who have passed from this life may, through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of all the saints, come to share your Eternal happiness through Christ our Lord. Amen
Prayers for the deceased for forgiveness and peace and for mourners
Lord Jesus, our Redeemer, You willingly gave Yourself up to death so that all people might be saved and pass from death into a new life. Listen to our prayers; look with love on Your people who mourn and pray for their dead brother/sister.
Lord Jesus, You alone are holy and compassionate; forgive our brother/sister his/her sins.
By dying You opened the gates of life for those who believe in You; do not let Your brother/sister be parted from You, but by Your glorious power give him/her light, joy, and peace in heaven where You live for ever and ever. Amen.
My brother (sister) in faith, I entrust you to God Who created you.
May you return to the One Who formed you from the dust of this earth.
May Mary, the angels, and all the saints come to meet you as you go forth from this life.
May Christ Who was crucified for you bring you freedom and peace.
May Christ, the Son of God, Who died for you take you into His kingdom.
May Christ, the Good Shepherd, give you a place within His flock.
May He forgive your sins and keep you among His people.
May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the sight of God forever. Amen.
Prayer for a deceased friend
I commend you, my dear to almighty God, and entrust you to your Creator.
May you rest in the arms of the Lord who formed you from the dust of the earth.
May holy Mary, the angels, and all the saints welcome you now that you have gone forth from this life.
May Christ who was crucified for you, bring you freedom and peace.
May Christ who died for you admit you into his garden of paradise.
May Christ, the true Shepherd, embrace you as one of his flock.
May he forgive all your sins and set you among those he has chosen.
May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God, forever.
Prayer for unexpected death
Heavenly Father we know and believe that our times are in Your hands, but Lord it’s so often such a shock to us when a dear loved one meets with a sudden or unexpected death – through an accident or perhaps due to some unforeseen tragedy, which takes the life of someone they loved – long before it would be expected.
Lord, we bring before You today those who are having to go through such a tragic loss and pray that You would be very close to each one that is in mourning today over such a loss – and are perhaps confused or even angry that such a devastating occurrence has overtaken them – without any apparent warning.
You are the God of all comfort Who comforts us in time of need and we pray that for those that are facing such a difficult trial today. Uphold them we pray, and ask that You draw very close to them … raise up we pray, the right people to minister to them and to be a genuine comfort and support at this time of tragedy and grief.
Lord, we don’t understand why our loved ones should suddenly be removed from us through a sudden, unexpected death – but Lord we trust You to soothe away the hurt in time – for shall not the God of all the earth do right…. In Jesus name, we pray,
Prayer for deceased parents
O God, Who has commanded us
to honor our father and mother,
have compassion in Thy mercy,
on the souls of my father and mother;
forgive them their sins,
and grant that I may see them
in the joy of eternal brightness.
Through Christ our Lord.
Prayer after violent death
Father, we bring before You those that have had the devastating experience of having someone close to them that they know and love, suffer a sudden, violent and needless death. Lord how we grieve for those that are having to experience this right now, and we pray that in Your grace You would look down with pity and mercy and meet them right at their point of need.
Lord, You are the one Who was sent to heal the broken-hearted and comfort those that mourn and are heavy-laden. You are the One Who promised that Your grace is sufficient for every eventuality – even for those having to face the sudden and violent death of someone close to them. Draw near to them we pray and lift them up into You arms of love and carry them during this time of suffering and grief for You have promised that underneath are Your everlasting arms.
Lord, as we lift up in prayer those that are having to come to terms with the sudden and violent death of a loved one – we pray that You would use this tragedy to be the thing that starts to draw each suffering soul into the tender arms of their Saviour – the Lord Jesus Christ, in Whose name we pray,
Prayer for a deceased brother, relative or friend
You are, O God,
quick to pardon and desire man’s salvation.
In Your goodness we ask You to grant our deceased brothers,
relatives, and friends everlasting happiness.
With the help of Blessed Mary ever Virgin
and all Your saints,
we ask this through Christ, our Lord.
Prayer to say on the day of a person’s death
O God, Whose property is always to have mercy and to spare, we humbly beseech Thee for the soul of Thy servant N…, which Thou hast this day commanded to depart out of this world, that Thou wouldst not deliver it into the hands of the enemy, nor forget it unto the end, but wouldst command it to be received by the Holy Angels, and conducted to Paradise, its true country; that as in Thee it hath hoped and believed, it may not suffer the pains of hell, but may take possession of eternal joys.
Through Christ our Lord.
See Also: 10 Inspiring Songs To Help With Grief
Share these beautiful prayers to friends or family who need them.
♥ Connect with NurseBuff on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
Cherish the memory of the departed with these prayers for the dead. Unfortunately, death and dying is a necessary part of life. These prayers help to usher the living on in to heaven.
Catholic Prayers for The Dead
In Catholicism, there are several prayers to say for the recently deceased. Catholics, unlike other sects of Christianity, believe in purgatory. These prayers are meant to bless those who have died and help them move swiftly from purgatory into heaven.
Prayer for Those in Purgatory
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home, and within my family.
Most Merciful Jesus, lover of souls,
I pray You, by the agony of Your most
Sacred Heart, and by the sorrows of Your
Immaculate Mother, to wash in Your Most
Precious Blood, the sinners of the world
who are now in their agony,
and who will die today.
Heart of Jesus, once in agony,
have mercy on the dying.
Souls must pass through purgatory in order to enter heaven. It is a rite of passage and purification. But, the duration that one spends in purgatory can vary. These prayers will help to keep the time spent in purgatory as brief as possible.
For Those In Purgatory
My Jesus, by the sorrows You suffered in Your agony in the Garden,
in Your scourging and crowning with thorns, in Your journey to Calvary,
in Your crucifixion and death, have mercy on the souls in purgatory, and especially
on those that are most forsaken; deliver them from the torments they endure; call them
and admit them to Your most sweet embrace in paradise, where You live with the Father
and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Prayer to Our Suffering Savior
O most sweet Jesus, through the bloody sweat which
Thou didst suffer in the Garden of Gethsemane, have mercy on
these Blessed Souls. Have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer during
Thy most cruel scourging, have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer in
Thy most painful crowning with thorns, have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer in carrying
Thy cross to Calvary, have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer during
Thy most cruel Crucifixion, have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer in
Thy most bitter agony on the Cross, have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
O most sweet Jesus, through the immense pain which Thou didst suffer
in breathing forth Thy Blessed Soul, have mercy on them. Have mercy on them, O Lord.
Read Bible Verses about Death and Heaven
“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more,
neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
Click here to read more
Bible Verses about Death, and
Bible Verses about Heaven
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for the Dead”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- prayer for God’s divine intervention- Forgiveness of sins. God should help me find peace in him and his word should be enough for me. Divine breakthrough in all my endeavors.… …
- Guidance and Healing- Please guide my prayers as our family has many challenges. Jesus, I trust that you will heal us, bring us into closer communion with You,… …
- Driving test- Can everyone please take a second and pray for me to pass my driving test on the 7th of January I am very nervous I… …
- Financial prosperity and good health of my entire family- Dear God, I worship and praise you. Please help me with my financial needs and please grant us the good of my entire family. Forgive… …
- Spiritual Growth- May I grow closer to you each day, Lord Jesus and may you continue to bless me with your grace and salvation. Amen …
- Exams- Dear God my father the almighty the creator I ask you to see me through the exams and touch the markers heart. …
- Lord help me succeed- Lord God I have tried to succeed in life however no matter how I try it all comes to no avail. May you be able… …
- Despair- I am going through post-traumatic depression and feel so lost and desperate. Reliving tragedy and experiencing anger and sadness. I feel like I have helped… …
- Favor, spouse for my sister- I pray I find favor in God’s sight. I pray God to settle my fiance, and I also pray for a good spouse for my… …
- People can let me feel guilty for no reason- Need prayer for deeper spiritual faith in god. I am easily hurt by others behaviour. The devil is always trying to me feel guilty through… …
- Friendship- I pray for a true friendship. I pray for a friend for my mother in law Lorraine. She is lonely and needs a new friend… …
- Guidance- Need to have faith in whatever is truly the way. …
- Fever last to days 11 month baby- My son Aden Chris (11months) is having continuous fever last 2 days. In few hour gap again he is sifferring in fever. First day he… …
- Need health..wealth ..wedding and own house- Need my own flat, wedding for me and my brother and peace to me and family and wealth. …
- Prayers for Grandsons- Pray for my grandsons that they will be cured of their addiction to drugs and alcohol they have been struggling for quite a while with… …
- Confident in God- Confident in God, sound health of mind n body,for connection, and for perfection between chi and l, let your will be done upon our lives.in… …
- Must move on- Dear St Joseph. Our life has taken a turn and we must move out of our home after many years. Please send an honest and… …
- Life- Please watch over my friends as well as I, as we take on Junior year, guide me to do very well and make great grades!… …
- Workplace Problem- I have a severe problem here in my work place. A captain was telling all kinds of lies and recording it proof that he never… …
- Prayers For Family- Please pray for the following: My cousin, who is battling severe mental illness and experiencing problems in her marriage. My cousin’s parents, siblings, nieces and… …
More prayers posted in: Dead