It’s Monday. Most of us have meetings to go to today or later this week. Here is a prayer before a meeting. It’s published on the St. Louis University Prayerbook, a site where members of the SLU community share prayers.
Heavenly Father, we come to you today asking for your guidance, wisdom, and support as we begin this meeting. Help us to engage in meaningful discussion; allow us to grow closer as a group and nurture the bonds of community. Fill us with your grace, Lord God, as we make decisions that might affect the students, staff, faculty, alumni and friends of Saint Louis University. And continue to remind us that all that we do here today, all that we accomplish, is for the pursuit of truth for the greater glory of You, and for the service of humanity. We ask these things in your name, Amen.
For other prayers on this site, see the Prayers by St. Ignatius and Others.
Good preparation before your event lays a solid foundation for a successful time together. Pray for the Lord’s direction as you answer several key questions:
Whether it is your home, at your church, or a room at your place of business, select a space that offers adequate seating for everyone as well as minimal distractions, such as ringing phones or “people traffic.”
Will it be a one-time or a regular event? Keeping others in mind, choose the day, time, meeting length, and frequency.
For example, if you are gathering co-workers during the workday to pray, you might choose a weekly time of 30 minutes before work or during lunch.
Or, if you are hosting a one-time event with friends or church members, you might opt for an entire weekend afternoon of prayer. If you plan well and offer a variety of methods and techniques, meeting for as long as 4 hours can pass quickly.
Will your meeting spotlight a particular part of the world, a specific group of prayer requests, or a special season of the year? Choose something that is meaningful to you. For instance, your prayer meeting could concentrate on the missionaries your church sponsors or the importance of Easter.
Plan how to recruit others to make following-through that much easier.
Start by personally inviting those you know who are interested in praying with others. You can focus on a specific group, like neighbors, members of a small group or Sunday school class, or others who share a common interest.
You might also want to run an announcement in a church bulletin or newsletter. Advertising might require you to plan further ahead.
As the day approaches, do not forget to remind those you have invited about the time and location. You could also send them Bible verses about the purpose and value of prayer.
Schedule your praying time to keep it interesting and increase participation.
Your first agenda item might provide time to ready people to focus on prayer.
For example, some people will arrive with the need to get right in their relationship with God. Instructing the group to spend several moments in purposeful silence gives the opportunity for confession of sin and acceptance of God’s on-going forgiveness.
Setting this priority can greatly influence the effectiveness of your prayer meeting in the lives of all who participate.
Then, ask yourself, “How do I connect with God?” says Frank Samuelson of The Global Prayer Movement, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ.
In other words, what methods, topics, or resources have been significant to you? What experiences have increased your desire to pray? You will lead others more effectively if you begin with what you know.
Add variety by breaking up times of prayer with worship, Scripture reading, and an assortment of prayer methods.
The Global Prayer Movement website is a practical resource for worldwide prayer requests, articles on prayer, and guidance on starting a prayer movement.
Make special arrangements by providing or asking others to bring needed materials.
Some helpful suggestions are:
- Bibles for Scripture readings and use during prayer
- Materials for writing down prayer requests, such as pads of paper and pens
- Arrangements for worship, like a CD player or space for musical instruments
- Refreshments, such as snacks, juice and coffee (especially if you are meeting for a longer period of time)
Create a few simple “ground rules” to help avoid certain pitfalls.
Remind the group that:
- prayer is simply having a conversation with God
- silence is okay
- people should pray as they feel comfortable
Beginners will not feel pressured while the more experienced will be reminded of some basics.
Specific instructions for the different parts of your time may help others feel more at ease. For instance, before sharing personal requests, tell participants they will pray for the person on their left, thus giving them a “heads up.”
Or, you may find yourself struggling to balance the “talkers” with those who are quieter. Instruct the group to pray one-sentence prayers for a portion of your time.
Certain things may not happen the way that you would hope, like the number of people who show up or the flow of your time together. However, God promises to meet you wherever two or more gather in His name (Matthew 18:20). Expect Him to work in the lives of all who participate, especially your own.
- 1 What is an Intercessory Prayer Group?
- 2 Why start an Intercessory Prayer Group?
- 3 Where does an Intercessory Prayer Group happen?
- 4 Who can start and/or participate in an Intercessory Prayer Group?
- 5 When does an Intercessory Prayer Group meet?
- 6 How do you start an Intercessory Prayer Group?
- 7 Tips / Notes:
- 8 Background Scriptures:
- 9 Those who may be interested in this Prayer Blueprint:
- 10 To find out more:
- 11 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Meetings”
- 12 Recent prayer requests…
What is an Intercessory Prayer Group?
An Intercessory Prayer Group is a group of Christians who meet together to pray together for God’s Kingdom purposes and for His will to be carried out in the lives of His people, His church, and throughout the world. They pray for prayer requests that come from a variety of sources. The primary focus is on praying for the needs of those beyond the group members. Most groups have a broad agenda, but some have a more specialized focus, such as praying for our military, missions, law enforcement officers, an individual church, or a particular ministry.
Why start an Intercessory Prayer Group?
1. You are called by God to do so.
2. It is obedience to scripture.
3. To advance the Kingdom of God in the world.
4. The power of prayer is multiplied.
5. It creates accountability.
Where does an Intercessory Prayer Group happen?
A group can meet at a church, in a home, at a workplace, over a telephone conference call, via an internet chat, or any other private location.
Who can start and/or participate in an Intercessory Prayer Group?
Anyone that the Holy Spirit calls can start and/or participate in such a group. One must have pure motives for being in the Intercessory Prayer Group and be able to practice confidentiality.
When does an Intercessory Prayer Group meet?
The group meets at a time convenient to all those involved and called to be a part of the ministry: very early morning, morning, over the lunch hour, afternoon, or evenings.
How do you start an Intercessory Prayer Group?
- to confirm God’s calling to start an Intercessory Prayer Group
- for God to raise up laborers for the ministry with a pure heart
- for discernment as to who to invite to partner with you
- for God to put all the necessary details into place
2. Write a purpose statement for the Intercessory Prayer Group.
3. Identify a leader (this may or may not be the initiator of the group).
4. Set Guidelines
- covenant of confidentiality
- set boundaries as to topics and/or types of requests
5. Determine the place and the time to meet together to pray.
6. Practice Strategic Praying. Have a plan for the flow of the prayer time.
7. Keep a Prayer Journal of the requests and the answers. This gives glory and praise to God’s workings and teaches us His ways.
8. The leader should be a shepherd/shepherdess to the members.
9. Persevere through the power of the Holy Spirit!
Tips / Notes:
- If not meeting in person (i.e., praying together through a conference call), occasionally gather together in person, if geographically possible, in order to build relationships and to fellowship.
- In order to spend the time together in actual prayer (and not just talking about prayer requests), random conversation and the time used for the sharing of requests during the prayer meeting must be gently but firmly controlled by the leader.
2 Chronicles 7:14
John 17 (Jesus’ intercession for us)
Acts 1:13-14; 2:42; 12:5 (the early church)
Those who may be interested in this Prayer Blueprint:
prayer group leaders, pastors, church planters, ministry leaders
Gateways to Prayer involved: Intercession Gateway.
To find out more:
Article: “How to Start an Intercessory Prayer Group or Partnership”
Article: “How to Pray Together Daily Using a Conference Call Prayer Line”
Article: “How to Decide the Type of Prayer Group to Start”
Life Forum: “Shepherding a Prayer Group”
Partners in Prayer by John Maxwell (book)
Pray in Faith by T. W. Hunt and Claude King (book)
Book review: What Happens When Women Pray by Evelyn Christenson
Copyright Prayer Igniters International 2013. All rights reserved.
Here is a collection of Prayers for Meetings of any kind: Business meetings, Sunday school meetings, church or family meetings, and prayer meetings.
Opening Prayer for Meeting
Lord, we are meeting today to conduct matters
of business. Guide our hearts and our minds in the
spirit of fairness, right thought and speech. Impart your
supreme wisdom upon our activities so that our affairs
may reach a successful conclusion. Thank you for being
our source of guidance today. Amen!
Read our full collection of Opening and Closing Prayers
Prayer to Come to an Agreement
Dear God, we seek your help with our affairs today.
Bless this meeting with your divine intelligence, and
help us to make the best use of our own. We are
of diverse opinion here. Yet we wish to mend our
differences and reach agreement satisfactory to all.
Please share a little of your wisdom with us to help
us do right by all concerned. Thank you for your
Heavenly blessing. Amen!
Sunday School Meeting
O God, we thank You for this privilege of meeting
today in Your house. Help us worship You
acceptably. Bless Your word to us all.
Bless our pastor and people, in the name
of Your Son Jesus Christ. Amen.!
School Board Meeting Prayer
Loving and Gracious God, you are indeed the giver of all good gifts
and we thank you today for all your blessings, for the successful outcomes
of our school events and for all our staff members, both the teaching and
We ask that you bless them abundantly and we continue to seek your wisdom,
guidance, courage and strength. Be with us in our deliberations and help us
to be wise in the decisions we make for the good of all those who have placed
their trust and confidence in our leadership.
Give us insight to lead with integrity that our decisions may reflect what is
right and good. Keep us from short-sightedness and pettiness. Help us to make
decisions that are for the good of all and guard us from blind self interest.
Dear Lord, grant us the humility to always seek your will in all that we do and say.
All Glory be to you, loving God, now and always through Christ and the Holy Spirit
forever and ever. Amen.
Hosting a prayer meeting? Check out these great Prayer Meeting Ideas.
Family Meeting Prayer
Our family gathers today in joyous occasion,
thanks to our Lord who looks after us all.
Bless this happy meeting and may we all
be praised in Your gracious name!
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Meetings”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Revival youth meeting – Hello. I am Eric, youth leader at a local church in Belgium. I would like to pray so that God will richly bless our youth …
- Marriage – A marriage that please God.
- Relationship – I want fiancee meet with me and try to resolve things so we can move on with our lives and maybe still have a chance …
- Relive the eval at my work. – I’m in management and it seems like no matter how much or how hard I try their are few that are never satisfied. They pick …
- Help Us Set A Course – Lord, we have many things to do, And that’s why we rely on you To bring our hearts and souls in synch, That we might …
- Help Me Focus – By countless means on endless days, Confusions multiply the ways, In which my mind and heart must turn. I must somehow restrain my thought, And …
- Relationship – I’m in love with a girl called Pavithra, please pray that she has to accept my love.
- protection – please pray with me my hubby is not responsible. iam in debts
- Divorce. I am asking for prayers for a settlement agreement on Jan. 23 – I am asking for prayers for a settlement agreement on Jan. 23. Been going through a divorce for over a year. His planning to tell …
- A prayer for Shpresa – Dear: Our Father Who Art In Heaven I pray to you please write it in heaven to make the jobcentre to accept my mums application …
- Prayer before class – A prayer before class,Lord, help us in our work today give us concentration so that may we listen, understand, learn and have a peaceful mind …
- Prayer Before School – My dear heavenly fater,Thank you for giving us life,for sustaining our physical materials ang spiritual needs.Thank you to for the many blessings you bestowed on …
- Protect Our Marriage – Prayer – Let us Pray.Lord, I pray that You would establish in me and (name of your wife or husband) eg JAMES, lets bonds of love that …
- Prayer for successful meeting – dear st.jude, please let thing go well for me and healthcare services group. so that fernando, does not come back to work for silver lake …
- Prayer for the youth – How wonderful you are Lordfor giving us a life which is full of enthusiasm and energy.How wonderful you are Lordfor giving us the gift of …
- Opening prayer for a Retirement Dinner – Heavenly Father! Thank you for allowing us to gather here today in this joyous occasion. Bless this happy re-union, in which we ask that you …
- Prayer Before Meeting – Almighty God, our Father, we praise and thank you for this day. You have given us another opportunity to appreciate life and to fulfill our …
- help me to be strong, stand up for myself – God, in 10 minutes I meet with my boss. Things have not been easy between us. I have been beaten down by her for things …
- Business Meeting Prayer – Dear Father, thank you for creating this opportunity to conduct business. As your word says “I can do all things thru Christ who strength me”. …
- Prayer for LBD convention – *Prayer for LBD convention*Lord, as we wait on you for our upcoming convention, Guide our hearts and our minds in the spirit of fairness, right …
- A Beautiful Morning Prayer – Dearest Almighty Father, We give You thanks for today. Thank You so much for giving me these eyes. May I use these eyes to help …
- Prayer for a difficult Meeting – Lord, we come before you this day (evening) and we ask your divine help. You know that we are about to make some difficult decisions …
- Prayer before work meeting – (Wellington ) Our lord and gracious god, guide us and protect us from influences beyond our control. Help us weave through uncertain times and stay …
- I come to you today and I humbly ask YOU LORD for a financial breakthrough – Dear LordI come to you today and I humbly ask YOU LORD for a financial breakthrough, I pray LORD that YOU cover my finances and …
- We Meet to Serve – We gather here today to serve our community and (your orginization)….working together to use our resources wisely.As trusted servants, we seek blessings on our deliberations …
- Special Prayer of thanksgiving for Healing – Lord this evening, I praise and thank you for the gift of healing. I suffered from acid reflux and it really affected me. I felt …
- Strength to do this today – Dear Lord, Give me the strength and courage to feel your presence in me to get moving today.I know I need to be a contributing …
- Family Meeting Prayer – I am facing a family meeting on Sunday 09-04 to write funeral thank you notes. I am overwhelmed with fear about the meeting – that …
- Prayer to Come to an Agreement – we seek your help with our affairs today.Bless this meeting with your divine intelligence, and help us to make the best use of our own. …
- prayer before class – Lord,May all that we do this day,from morning until night,begin with your inspiration,and continue with your powerful help.May our work this daybe rooted in love …
- Morning Prayer for protection – God, through you men live in peace are of one mindKnowing you we have eternal life and Serving you we are truly freeShield us your …
- Thanks for the day prayer – Lord God, we thank you for this day,allowing us to see the brightness of the day, we asked for your guidance and protection. Allow us …
- Prayer for the sick before meetings – Heavenly Father, thank You so much for the wonderful opportunity that You have given to us.Make us worthy in drawing near to You.We have lots …
- Prayer Before Class – Heavenly Father and Your Beloved Son Jesus Christ,We thank you for giving us another life,We thank you for another Beautiful Morning.As we go on through …
- Father God, I Lift O’Brian Up To You… – Dear Lord, I lift O’Brian up to you in prayer. Father, I lift O’Brian’s need up to you in prayer. As you taught my: “Our …
- Prayer for a Family Meeting – Family MeetingOur family gathers today in joyous occasion,thanks to our Lord who looks after us all.Bless this happy meeting and may we allbe praised in …
- Husband to fine peace in is heart and be more like a follower of christ – Holy Father please let my husband fine peace and take the anger away from his body Let him apologize to the people he has hurt …
- Prayer to be Punctual – O god,help me to be punctual at school, for getting beautiful flowers in term of education , soveirness ,learning & to be an actual mean …
- Working Place Prayer – Dear God,Thank you God 4 this wonderful and smrt office.Lord God you are our wonderful Daddy thank for everything and for every person we are …
- pray my landlord will b merciful & honest – pray my landlord will b merciful & honest & see all my efforts 2 gain employment. pray for no bullying. pray for positive both sides. …
- Prayer for cooperation in the meeting – today i will work with all of my friends and cooperate in my group, i wil respect them love them and share with them as …
- Prayer when put to shame – Lord God and Father, how painful it is to be put to shame by another person. I feel so small and helpless. I feel broken …
- Father, let us rejoice in your presence and trust in the Holy Name of your son Jesus – Oh Father, let us rejoice in your presence and trust in the Holy Name of your son Jesus.May your love rest upon each of us, …
- we are very thankful with your love oh god in jesus name – Dear God..thank you for the gift of life for everything you showered to us,thank you also for keeping us away from danger.Today we ask your …