Religious Blessing Spiritual Blessing Article Summary Questions & Answers Related Articles References
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Together, they cited information from
Content Management Team
carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article meets our high standards.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has over 373,048 views, and 94% of readers who voted found it helpful. It also received 35 testimonials from readers, earning it our reader-approved status. Learn more…
You have finally moved into your new house. It is perfect in every single way, and you want it to stay that way. If you are a religious or spiritual person, you might find that blessing your home brings you great peace of mind and serenity. No matter what your religious or spiritual beliefs, start with Step 1 below to find out how to perform a house blessing that appeals to you.
Method 1 Religious Blessing
- Perform a Christian blessing.
The blessing of a Christian household is an ancient tradition which can be found in the Protestant, Orthodox, and Roman Catholic churches, amongst others. The blessing may be performed by an ordained priest or pastor, or by the owner of the house themselves.
- If you would prefer to have your house blessed by an ordained priest, invite him to your house to perform the blessing, and he will be happy to oblige.
- Normally, the priest will walk from room to room, sprinkling each with holy water. As he walks, he may recite one or more passages from the holy gospel.
- If you prefer to bless the house yourself, use anointing oil (which can simply be cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil, blessed by a minister) to mark a cross on each of the windows and doors inside the house.
- As you mark the sign of the cross, utter a simple prayer asking God to bless the room. For example “In the name of Jesus Christ I ask for Your peace and joy to inhabit this room,” or “May Your Holy Spirit flow through and fill this home up with Your Spirit.”
- Perform a Jewish blessing.
There are an abundance of Jewish traditions associated with moving into a new house, or simply blessing an old one.
- When moving into a new home, Jewish families are required to affix a mezuzah (parchment inscribed with Hebrew phrases from the Torah) to each of the doorways in the house.
- As the mezuzah is installed, the following prayer is recited “Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to affix a mezuzah”.
- It is also believed that Tuesday is the best day for moving into a new home, that bread and salt should be the first items to enter the house, and that shortly after moving in a Chanukat Habayit or housewarming party should be held, where friends and family gather and words of the Torah are spoken.
- During the housewarming party, it’s tradition to eat the first fruit of the new season while reciting the shehecheyanu blessing, as follows: “Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to reach this occasion.”
- Perform a Hindu blessing.
Hindu house blessings vary greatly according to different regions. In some places the housewarming ceremony is second in importance only to a couple’s wedding day.
- However, across all regions the house blessing must be performed on the morning the homeowners move into their new home. An auspicious move-in date must be chosen by the local Hindu priest, who must also perform the ceremony.
- On the day, it is traditional (in some regions) for the homeowners to supply a gift tray or dakshina for the priest’s use throughout the ceremony. This gift tray usually contains items such as raw, washed rice, mango leaves, ghee, coins, herbs, spices, fruit and flowers, among others.
- During the ceremony, the homeowners will often sit in front of the fireplace, wearing their best clothes and repeating mantras. The priest will usually recite a prosperity prayer to the Hindu gods, asking for prosperity, purity and serenity to be bestowed upon the people of the house.
- Contact a priest at your local Hindu temple for information on how the housewarming ceremony is performed in your region.
- Perform an Islamic blessing.
Muslim people bless their house mainly by reciting prayers – usually there is no official ceremony that needs to be performed. However, certain prayers and traditions are recommended:
- Upon moving into a new house, it is a good idea to perform a two cycle prayer, asking Allah to bestow baraka (blessing), rahma, (mercy) and dhikr (remembrance) upon the home.
- You can also recite a prayer to protect your home from the evil eye and the envy of others using the following Prophetic Supplication: “I seek refuge for you in the perfect words of Allaah from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye.”
- It is also recommended that you invite your friends and family over for dinner, as feeding others is viewed as a charitable act, and a way of showing gratitude to Allah. At this dinner, you and your guests may recite passages from the Qur’an together.
- Aside from blessing your house when you first move in, you can also bless your house every time you step through the door using the following prayer: “I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created”. Repeating this prayer three times will ensure no harm comes to you while you are in the house.
- Perform a Buddhist blessing.
In Buddhism, a ceremony known as
Khuan Ban Mai is performed (in certain regions) when a new house is built to protect the house and its inhabitants. The ceremony is performed by a group of nine monks, who must be invited to the house early on the morning of the ceremony.
- The monks then perform a ritual involving sacred lustral water and wax candles. As the wax melts and drops into the water, it is believed to wash away evil and sorrow.
- The monks also chant prayers in the Pali language, while passing a white string through each of their hands. The vibrations from the chanted prayers are believed to pass through the string, protecting the houses and its inhabitants.
- After the ceremony, the monks sit down to a meal prepared by the host family and their friends and neighbors.They must finished their meal before noon. Then one monk sprinkles holy water in each of the rooms of the house, before they all leave.
- Once the monks leave, the rest of the guests sit down to eat the remaining food. In the afternoon, they perform the thread ceremony, where the guests wrap a white thread around the homeowners and offer them their blessing.
Method 2 Spiritual Blessing
Clean and de-clutter your home. It is important to clean and de-clutter your home before you perform a house blessing. This will put you in a more positive frame of mind and invite fresh energy into the home.
Invite friends and family. It’s a nice idea to invite friends and family to share in the house blessing ritual with you. Ask them to stand in a circle and join hands.
Light a pink candle. Pink symbolizes love and kindness, and will invite these energies into your home.
Share blessings. Pass the pink candle to each person in the circle. Whoever is holding the candle should share their blessings for the home and homeowners. Example blessings include “may this home be a sacred dwelling for you and your family” or “may those who enter this home feel peace and love”.
Walk to each room of the house and state your intention for it. After the blessing, you may want to carry the pink candle into each room of the house and state your intention for it, whether it’s the bedroom, the baby’s room or the kitchen.
Allow the pink candle to burn for an hour. When the ceremony is complete, place the pink candle in a central location in the house and allow it to burn for at least an hour.
Open all East-facing doors and windows. This allows the life-giving energy of the sun to stream into your home, bringing energy, life and light.
Add New Question
Is it true that I can bless my apartment with my family members, if a clergy member is not available at the time needed?
Anyone can bless their home. Religious clergy is not required to bless your home. We were all created by the same creator who created the religious clergy. Therefore all of the creators creations are holy.
Can I use a white candle instead of pink?
Yes, white is a good color to attract positive energy to the house.
What type of blessing is it when someone walks around a home a few times sprinkling salt or sand?
Salt covenant. It’s a Christian house blessing, wherein you walk the perimeter of your yard or house with kosher salt and ask for protection and anything else for your home.
Do I have to pay for a house blessing?
Usually you do not have to pay for a house blessing but in some cases you may have the option to give an offering in exchange for a blessing.
What can I do if I feel my house is haunted?
Any of the blessings or rituals stated above, usually through an ordained minister or priest with holy water or anointed oil.
How do I bless my children to so that no harm comes to them?
You can bless your children to help them get away from harm if it comes their way, but they cannot entirely avoid harm. Everyone suffers, and everyone will have personal struggles. The best thing is to be there for them and pray every night for God to bless them and give them the strength and hope to get through the next day.
Can old carpet and flooring be blessed or should it be removed?
A home can be blessed in any condition, but for safety and appeal, old carpet and flooring should be replaced to create a most positive atmosphere.
How often should a house be (re)blessed? Negative energy and dark spirits seem to be getting back in after about two years of blessing it.
You should re-bless when you feel negativity is making its way back into your home or if a visit from someone has left your home with a feel of negativity.
Can I do it on my own?
Not if you are Orthodox Christian or Roman Catholic. Other faith traditions (and even other Christian traditions) may not require a priest or minister’s presence.
How much should I pay a priest to bless my home?
You shouldn’t have to pay him at all. If they’re requesting money, that’s not someone who’s working in God’s service.
Show more answers
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- You might like to put in some holy pictures into your house.
- It would also be very fitting to have a little party afterwards to celebrate the blessing.
- Smudging is also a great way to increase positive energy in your home. You need a sage smudge stick (or other variation of a smudge stick but sage is most common) and to burn and wave the smoke throughout the entire home.
- The Spanish have an old custom of hanging crosses above bedroom doors, to scare away evil spirits and protect the people in the house. If you are Christian, this is a good idea, if you live in a house with a painful past.
Things You’ll Need
Holy water (optional)
A rosary chaplet or any other kind of prayer beads (optional)
To bless your house, start by cleaning and de-cluttering it so it’s nice and clean when you bless it. Then, light a pink candle, which symbolizes love and kindness, and carry it into each room in your house. When you enter a room, state your intention for it. When you’re finished, let the candle burn for an hour and open all of your East-facing doors and windows to let in fresh air and light. To learn how to do different religious blessing ceremonies, keep reading!
Did this summary help you? Article Info
In other languages:
Italiano: Benedire una Casa, Deutsch: Ein Haus segnen, Español: bendecir una casa, Português: Abençoar uma Casa, Русский: освятить дом, Français: bénir une maison, Bahasa Indonesia: Memberkati Rumah, Nederlands: Een huis zegenen, Čeština: Jak požehnat domu
- Send fan mail to authors
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 373,048 times.
Did this article help you?
“As we pass through this door, draw us more deeply into your presence.”
The door is one of the most important parts of our home. Through it we come and go, receive visitors and say goodbye to old friends. It is a place of sadness and joy, departures and entrances.
That is why it is a place where we should invite God’s presence, asking for his protection over it and our home.
One of the most common ways to do this is through the traditional Epiphany blessing of the home. However, that is not the only way to invoke God’s blessing upon your home and door.
Below is an alternative prayer that can be prayed by anyone, simply asking God to shower his blessings upon the primary portal of your home.
God’s peace be to this home and to all who dwell within. You, O Lord, are the beginning and the end, the alpha and omega, carefully watching over us from birth until death. Bless this door of our house and in your goodness send your holy angel from heaven to watch over and protect us, to be with us and give us comfort and encouragement.
As we pass through this door, draw us more deeply into your presence and may a spirit of humility, goodness, mildness, and gratitude prevail here.
O Lord, you are the door to eternal life, bless our entrances and exits from this home and pour out on us heavenly dew in good measure, as well as an abundance of earthly needs. At our lowly coming be pleased to bless and sanctify this home, as you once were pleased to bless the home of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Within these walls let your angels of light preside and stand watch over those who live here.
May this blessing remain on this place and on us who live here now and always. Amen.
Do you know how to clean your home spiritually? This house cleansing prayer will help you to remove any evil spirits in your home.
The truth is at some point an evil spirit will enter your home. The faster you can evict it, the better. For some of us, due to lack of knowledge or fear, we ignore it hoping that it will go away. After awhile we learn that the only way it will leave is if we evict it.
So, what are the signs that indicate you may need to have your house cleansed spiritually?
- You have spots in your house that are cold and there is no A/C vent to explain why it’s cold in that one spot
- Your dog/cat barks or growls at walls or specific areas in your home and when there is no one there
- Out of the corner of your eye you see shadows or like someone walked by when no one did
- Sometimes the hairs on your arm stand on end for no apparent reason
- You hear noises when the house is quite (this doesn’t apply if you live in a new construction home and the house may be settling)
- Sometimes you feel afraid being in the house alone.
- You have a picture, a mirror, a piece of art or furniture, stuffed animal, even a book that gives you the heebie jeebies.
- There is a room in your house that you don’t like, you never hang out in that room and you don’t know why.
- You hear doors opening and closing in your house but in the natural nobody was coming in or going out.
- You started having lots of bad dreams since you moved in.
- Your family was fine before you moved in and then a week later everything is upside down. Your kids get aggressive, a lot of arguing, your home has become contentious
- You’re online searching for articles to cleanse your house…that’s sure sign you know something is not right with the house.
You may not have had any of these issues before in your house and the suddenly things started happening. It is possible you had someone in your house that is involved in witchcraft or they have spirits attached to them and these spirits followed them into your home.
Also, if you like going to consignment shops and buying antiques you may have picked some up there too.
Please read this if you are about to purchase or rent a new home
A few “spiritual red flags” to keep in mind if you are in the process of purchasing or renting a home. We call these spiritual red flags because in the natural none of these would be an issue:
- Someone died in the house (it’s a good question to ask when you are purchasing a home and it’s vacant “where are the previous owners?”). You may not have any issues if they were a Christian but if they were not, it’s a risk.
- The house sat vacant for more than a year. Evil spirits love to occupy empty spaces (Matthew 12:43-45)
- The seller had the house feng shui or was involved in any other kind of spiritual practice that is not Christian. Signs of this would be dream catchers everywhere, buddhas, crystals.
- The house is a foreclosure. What’s wrong with foreclosures? Well, what if the person who had it before the current owner was also foreclosed upon? What if there is another foreclosure next door, across the street, down the road? Too many foreclosures in a neighborhood is a very bad sign. The area could have a principality over it of poverty and lack. So what would generally happen is that you may have been steadily employed for the last 30 years, you found this great foreclosure deal and the next thing you know 2 months later you lost you job. Then you go into foreclosure. You need to be aware that if you choose to buy a foreclosure you may be battling demons to keep the house.
- Too may houses for sale or rent in the neighborhood. If the owners are abandoning a neighborhood this may not be a good sign. Do some more research and understand you are taking a risk.
- The house is on an Indian burial ground or near one. Not good.
- Do a little investigative work and find out what’s happening in the neighborhood. Go back without the realtor and start talking to the people in the community and find out what’s going on. You may find out that there are common issues among the neighbors – drugs, suicide, several people lost their job, anything. Random things are OK but if you see or hear a pattern then you will want to take note. This will be an indication of the demonic spirits you’ll have to battle once you move in.
- If you are buying a new construction house and it took over 2 -3 years to be built. Remember evil spirits like vacant spaces so if you had the foundation laid and walls put up and ran out of money so the house had to sit vacant for awhile. This could be an issue.
- It is always a good idea to go by the neighborhood again at night time. You may pick up other things spiritually then that you didn’t discern in the day time hours.
You may buy a house with one or a few of these “spiritual red flags” and have no issues. Yes, this is possible. However, there will be many more people reading this that just discovered the reason for the spiritual war they are currently facing in their home.
Can you get free from these evil spirits? Yes. Do you need a pastor or a priest to do this for you? You can ask them but it is not necessary. We can walk you through the steps and you do it yourself. Or if you have a friend that is a Christian intercessor you can ask them to help.
What about sage, smudge or smudging with sage? Well, that is actually new age and this is a Christian ministry so we don’t do that. Besides what we do with get to the root of the issue. You want to pull it up at the root. If you are burning incense you will be burning incense for the rest of your life because you haven’t dealt with the root issue.
Are there any situations where the spirits won’t leave? Yes. When you move into a house you have dominion over it. Anything that enters your house you can tell it to leave and it will. However, if you buy something that is built on an Indian burial ground then you moved into their domain. Also, if you have items that are giving these spirits access to your home and you refuse to get rid of them then they will come back.
What you use for this spiritual house cleansing is anointing oil and a bible.
If you don’t have anointing oil buy some online. The type of oil does not matter. Or, you can make you own by taking some of your olive oil and pouring it into a separate bottle which you will only use for anointing in prayer. You can take it to church and ask your pastor to pray over the oil or someone from the prayer ministry to bless the oil. (Mark 6:13, James 5:14)
This is a long process which can take 1.5 – 5 hours to complete depending on how many evil spirits or items you need to remove from your house and the size of your house.
As such, we have broken this down into 3 parts so you can choose to do them all at once or on 3 different days. You can’t change the order. It needs to be done in this order so that the final step of the prayer will completely cleanse your house.
Steps 1 & 2 you need to do in preparation for the cleansing of your home.
Step 1 to spiritually cleanse your house from demonically charged items
- You have items in your house that make you uncomfortable. You need to throw them in the trash. Don’t give them to someone else, dump them.
The truth is after this first step most of the spirits will be gone. Spirits can attach themselves to items. If you absolutely love antiquing you are taking a risk every time you bring something into your house because you don’t know who owned the item before you or what they did. Also, if you have a friend or relative that you know is involved in witchcraft or the occult then whatever gifts they gave you must to be thrown out.
Occasionally we meet people who are attached to things because it has sentimental value or it cost them thousands of dollars and they don’t want to get rid of it. If this is you, we can’t help you and the prayer won’t get rid of the spirits. If you are too attached to things there is a possibility you won’t be free of these evil spirits.
100% of the time we don’t have to point out the items that are holding these spirits, the home owner already knows because the item makes them feel uncomfortable.
Just throw it in the trash.
Acts 19:19 (NIV) “A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas.”
When you decide you want to be free from these evil spirits the cost won’t matter. The fact that the item has a demonic spirit attached to it means it was used in someone’s home who was heavily involved in witchcraft or false religions. Or the item may have been crafted or built by someone who was demonically possessed.
Step 2 to spiritually cleanse yourself
2. You need to confess your sins. This is important because if you are going to throw these spirits out of your house you can’t give them any legal grounds to remain. Jesus said in John 14:30 the prince of this world is coming and he has no claim over me. Likewise, when you start telling the spirit to leave they must have no claim over you or have a hold on you.
The flip side of that scripture is John 13:8 when Jesus tells Peter come and let me wash your feet because if you don’t wash your feet you can have no part of me. In other words, unless you are cleansed of the sins that you committed as you are traveling through the world you and I have nothing in common. You must be properly aligned with God to start this process.
Here is a prayer for repentance and confession of sins:
Father God, I come to you in the name of Jesus asking for forgiveness of my sins. I’m repenting for _________, __________. _______(call out all the sins that you know you are currently participating in) I ask you to wash me clean from these sins. Guide me by your Holy Spirit to doing the things that are pleasing to You. (You need to anoint yourself as you pray this) Cleanse my mind so that I will have pure thoughts, cleanse my tongue so that my speech may be pleasing to you, cleanse my ears so that I will listen to only what you want me to hear, wash my hands so that I will only touch what you want me to touch, wash my feet so that I will travel only where you would have me go and forgive me for moving towards evil. I accept the completed work of Jesus who died on the cross for all my sins. I consider myself clean in the eyes of the spiritual beings that are around me. I am a new creation and old things have passed away and there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. When they look at me they see me clothe in the Righteousness of Christ, in Jesus Name Amen.
Step 3 to spiritually cleanse your home
3. You are now ready to start praying through your house. You will need your anointing oil.
These are the steps for the prayer
- Put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18)
- You need to ask God for angelic assistance
- You need to open your windows and doors tell the spirits to leave
- You need to close all the portals that the evil spirits are using to enter your home.
- You need to anoint all the windows and doors with oil
House Cleansing Prayer
Father God, I come to you in Jesus Name putting on Your full armor, so that I can take my stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. I put on the full armor of God, so that in this day of evil I may stand my ground. Standing firm with the belt of truth buckled around my waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with my feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which I can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
(You may pray in tongues here through this the Holy Spirit will give discernment on the spirits in your home).
God I ask you to give me the gift of discerning of spirits so that I may remove all the evil spirits from my home. The only spirit that can live here are the ones who are still in the land of the living and bow to the name of Jesus. I ask that your Holy Spirit dwell here with me and my family and that you will lead and guide us through this process today. Please send angelic assistance to help with the removal of all of these evil spirits. Send the angels to war on my behalf and handle any demonic powers that we cannot handle.
(Start opening all the windows and doors in your home or at least one in each room.)
I command every evil spirit to leave this home now in the name of Jesus. You cannot stay here. You have no part in me. I renounce you and any other spirits that come with you.
(If the Holy Spirit specifically impress upon you a particular spirits or spirits make sure to command them to leave by name. e.g spirit of infirmity, addiction, sexual immorality, poverty, suicide, etc. Anything that comes to mind call it by name and tell it leave in the name of Jesus)
(Now you go room by room with the oil anointing all the doors and windows at the top or corner with the sign of the cross. Over each door and window you say this…)
I close this door/window in the spirit realm to any evil spirit. No longer shall you use this as an access point to gain entrance to this home. Only angels assigned by the Commander of Heaven’s armies are allowed to enter this home. I mark the sign of the cross as a reminder to you that this house is covered under the blood of Jesus and you shall Passover it and never enter into this house again, in Jesus Name.
(Go through your entire house and do this for every window and door. If you come across items as you are going through the house that give you a feeling that a spirit may be attached to it you need to remove it from your home.
Just as you have doors in the natural there are doorways that spirits can use to go in and out of your house. This could be mirrors. So you need to take the oil put it on your index finger and make the cross at the top of the mirror or in a corner of the mirror and say…)
If this is a doorway in the spirit realm that evil spirits are using to enter this house I close it in, the name of Jesus. You can no longer use this as a doorway. This is a mirror, an inanimate object that will never be used as a spiritual portal again. I command it to be closed, in Jesus name
That’s it. Once you have gone through all the rooms in your home those spirits will be gone and you can start closing the windows and doors in your house.
This is quite the process but you will feel so much peace in your home after you do this and you should no longer have any spirits in your home.
Here are some other prayers that may help you as well:
Prayer against a Familiar Spirit and Monitoring Spirits