More than ever today, as a husband and wife unite in marriage, they need the prayers of friends and loved ones to help them build a strong foundation of godly love established on Christ, their Rock. If you want to give something special and lasting to a couple on their wedding day, here is a prayer you can offer on their behalf.
- 1 A Wedding Prayer
- 2 A Prayer Of Blessing & A Charge From the Bible:
- 3 A Prayer in a Song
- 4 A Prayer for the Food
- 5 Traditional Hebrew Blessings
- 6 Traditional Irish Blessing
- 7 Interested in more wedding and marriage articles?
- 8 Love is Patient, Love is Blind
- 9 Scripture For Wedding Readings
- 10 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Wedding Prayers and Blessings”
- 11 Recent prayer requests…
A Wedding Prayer
As this couple begins their lives together on their wedding day, I pray that their hearts will unite as one with You in their desire to make You the center. May this day be the start of something beautiful, a celebration unlike any other.
As they offer their vows to one another in the sight of God and others, give them a clear understanding of their commitment to each other. May their loyalty in marriage mirror Your own love and faithfulness to all Your children. Let them know that two are better than one as they mutually invest in and depend on each other—but that the third strand of their marriage ties should always be You.
May their love—like the wedding rings they will wear—be a circle that never ends. Grow that love relationship into one that is patient and kind, not boastful or proud, one that is unselfish and trusting, and a love that protects and perseveres through every season of life.
I pray you will give this couple unforgettable moments, unending dedication, and unselfish motives as they pledge their devotion to each another. In every way possible, make the house they build together a godly home—a place where hurts are healed with grace, a place where hearts are sealed with forgiveness, and a place where emotions feel safe when shared with honesty and gentleness. Keep their communication open—with You, and with each other as they make prayer a constant priority.
Lord, today and every day, let laughter echo in the halls of their hearts and home; let joy fill every room; and let the radiance of Your face shine on them, bless them, and give them a gracious peace that passes all understanding. Light a fire of passion that prompts them to love you with all their heart, soul, and strength, and one that engulfs their own union as man and wife in purity and oneness. Help them to bear each other’s burdens, even as they cast their cares on Your shoulders. May they always choose to see the best in each other, even in the worst of times.
May they visualize their marriage as more than just a bonding of two lives, but as two on mission for You, Lord—a lighthouse of refuge, a welcome place for encouragement, and a testimony to Your power and grace. Help them to cherish their wedding day as a sacred memorial, and their union as a treasure to protect at all costs. Make it a reminder of hope that keeps on going and faith that keeps on growing. Help them to believe that all things are possible through Christ, the One who began the good work in them.
Lord, on their wedding day, may every word spoken and every precious token remind them of the One who holds all things together and who makes all things good. Together as this couple stands side by side, and hand in hand, hold them tightly and never let them go. Fill their hearts with unceasing gratitude. Be their vision, their strength, and their constant companion.
In Jesus’s name,
Rebecca Barlow Jordan is an inspirational author, speaker, and passionate follower of Jesus who loves to encourage others heart to heart. She has written 11 books and over 1700 other articles, greeting cards, and other inspirational pieces. Her daily devotional Daily in Your Presence is available for delivery through Crosswalk.com. You can find out more about Rebecca at www.rebeccabarlowjordan.com.
Publication date: June 30, 2017
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer of Blessing for Mothers & Grandmothers
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersThe Prayer of JabezShort PrayersThe Lord’s PrayerThe Prayer of St FrancisSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerIrish Prayers and BlessingsAdvent PrayersChristmas PrayersThanksgiving PrayerHoly Week Prayers for Each DayEaster PrayersMother’s Day PrayerPrayers for My HusbandPrayers for My SonPrayers for My Daughter
Prayers at a wedding reception are quite appropriate, especially when the couple has a relationship with the Lord. These prayers may include a blessing over the food, a father’s or mother’s prayer for their children and even blessings offered by the best man and maid of honor. Here are 6 great samples from which to choose.
A Prayer Of Blessing & A Charge From the Bible:
Dear Heavenly Father, “for this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.” (From Paul’s letter to the Ephesians 3:14-21)
A Prayer in a Song
A very popular thing at weddings is to sing a blessing. I have known of it to be done in person or in a video. The song “The Prayer” is a great one that can be offered by anyone; I have even known the bride and the groom to do it as a duet at the reception. Here is a video of “The Prayer” with lyrics, sung by Chloë Agnew of the Celtic Women singing group.
A Prayer for the Food
The prayer for the food is usually offered by the minister who officiated the ceremony, however, it is also common for this prayer to be offered by the father of the bride.
“Lord, behold our family here assembled. We thank you for this place in which we dwell, for the love that unites us, for the peace accorded us this day, for the hope with which we expect the morrow, for the health, the work, the food, and the bright skies that make our lives delightful; for our friends in all parts of the earth. We pray your blessings on the food that you have provided for us and thank you for all who have prepared it for our nourishment. Thank you in Jesus’ name, Amen.” (includes “The Wedding Prayer” by Robert Louis Stevenson)
Traditional Hebrew Blessings
A Hebrew Wedding Blessing
This is called the Seudah. It is asked two times at the wedding; once at the ceremony and then another time at the festival meal (Seudat Mitvah). Traditionally, the blessings are recited by seven different people that have been preselected by the bride and groom. This is also known as the Grace after meals (Birkat HaMazon). This blessing is performed while the groom and bride and all of the guest share a glass of wine. At the end of the blessing it is traditional that the groom breaks his glass with his foot, which is in remembrance of the temple that no longer exists in Jerusalem. At the end of the blessing everyone shouts “Mozol Tov”, indicating congratulations to the bride and groom.
Blessing 1: Blessed art the LORD our God, King of the universe, Fashioner of man.
Blessing 2: Blessed art the LORD our God, King of the universe, Fashioner of man.
Blessing 3: Blessed art the LORD our God, King of the universe, who formed the man in His image, in the image of the semblance of His likeness, and prepared for him from Himself a building for eternity. Blessed art Thou LORD, who fashioned the man.
Blessing 4: May the barren one exult and jubilantly rejoice through the regathering of her children amidst her in gladness. Blessed art Thou LORD, who makes Zion rejoice with her children.
Blessing 5: Gladden the beloved companions as you made glad your creation in the garden of Eden from days of old. Blessed art Thou, LORD, who gladdens groom and bride.
Blessing 6: Blessed art Thou LORD our God, King of the universe, who created joy and gladness, groom and bride, rejoicing, glad song, pleasure, delight, love, brotherhood, peace and companionship. Soon, LORD, our God, let there be heard in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem the sound of joy and the sound of gladness, the voice of the groom and the voice of the bride, the sound of jubilation of grooms from their canopies and of youths from their feasts of song. Blessed art Thou, LORD, who gladdens the groom with the bride.
Blessing 7: Blessed art Thou LORD our God, King of the universe, Creator of the fruit of the vine.
Blessing for the Food
For the Bread (Hamotzi)
Blessed are You LORD our God King of the universe Who has sanctified us with his commandments and commanded us on the washing of the hands. Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the Universe, Who brings forth bread from the earth.
For other Food (Mezonot)
Blessed are you LORD our God, King of the Universe, Who creates various kinds of sustenance.
For the Wine or Grape Juice
Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe, Who creates the fruit of the vine.
For Fruits (Ha-aitz)
Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe, who creates the fruit of the tree.
For the Vegetables
Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe who creates the fruit of the earth.
For all other Foods (Shehakol)
Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the universe, by Whose word all things came to be.
Traditional Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand. May God be with you and bless you;
May you see your children’s children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings,
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward. May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near. May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.
Interested in more wedding and marriage articles?
Take a look at these:
10 Great Wedding Bible Verses and Readings
15 Best Christian Wedding Songs
Sample Wedding Vows: Inspirational Marriage Pledges
The Holy Bible, King James Version
YouTube video “The Wedding Song” by Kenny G
Share this post
: | | | |
From the rehearsal dinner, to the reception, finding the right wedding prayers can be stressful. Here is a collection of popular wedding blessings to help you come up with the right words for this special occasion.
There is nothing more beautiful than when two people are joined together in holy matrimony. Youll want to commemorate the occasion with the perfect wedding prayers.
The best blessing will call attention to the new couple and ask for their love and relationship to be protected and grow stronger in the years ahead.
For Healing and Renewal
May your home be filled with laughter
and the warm embrace of a summer day.
May you find peacefulness and beauty,
challenge, and satisfaction, humor and insight,
healing and renewal, love and wisdom, as in a quiet heart.
May you always feel that what you have is enough.
The following wedding prayers are from the book The Prophet. They are two of the more beautiful wedding blessings I have ever read. They may suit your needs.
You Were Born Together
You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.
Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each of you be alone,
Even as the strings of the lute are alone though they quiver
with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping.
For only the hands of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow.
Love Has No Other Desire
Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires,
let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook
that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart
and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate Love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved
in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.
Love is Patient, Love is Blind
A popular wedding dinner prayer is Love is Blind. This poem describes in detail what love is, and what love isnt. It ends by saying, And now these three remain: Faith, Love, and Hope. But the greatest of these is Love.
Indeed. The same qualities that make a happy marriage, are the same qualities that make a healthy relationship with God.
Love is Patient
“Love is Patient
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast,
it is not proud. It is not rude,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil
but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts,
always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
And now these three remain:
faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love”
This prayer is based off a popular bible verse. Read more Bible Verses about Love.
The Strength of Two
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
A Rhyming Wedding Dinner Prayer
What is a vow,
but an intention
spoken out before the world
so that the world, in hearing,
might take part
of the willing heart?
In our coming here today
to join and bless
the joy of your becoming wed,
may we enter in
the truth of the words you’ve said,
Maureen Tolman Flannery
Scripture For Wedding Readings
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
Click here to read more Wedding Bible Verses
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Wedding Prayers and Blessings”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Prayers for wedding – I have always wanted to wed butI don’t have any fund to organise all the requirements. Please pray for me
- Request to marry the one I love – I wish to submit my petition at the Holy Feet of Mother Mary and Jesus Christ; that I get married to the man I love. …
- Marriage – Please pray for me I just heard that there are some hindrances to my marriage its been 11 years now im single and looking for …
- Request – Pray for my daughter as they are planning for marriage solemnization, that God will direct them in His way and protect and bless them as …
- Broken vows, shattered trust – I just discovered texts between my husband and another woman. I am distraught, but am using this as a wake up call to me. Instead …
- prayer for merrage – i ask for honesty and trust in my relationship and further I pray for marriage. And financial break through in JESUS MIGHTY NAME.
- Relationship – I pray God to bless my relationship with my boyfriend that he may lead me according to God s way and that his family to …
- Marriage – Please pray I will get married at the end of this year. Please pray God will bring the right Godly man into my life.
- God’s wedding for me to uses – God has me to not wed a man in the future after today and i is already wed and marriaged in my past history to …
- Saving my wife’s soul – Father God, I simply come to you firstly to thank you again today for saving me. Lord, I beg you and plead you to cut …
- Get married – Hi, Kindly pray for me so that I can find a loyal girlfriend and get married soon. Thanks
- best online help to et your ex lover back now without any delay – This is a true life experience with Doctor Ewan who helped me save my marriage by doing a pregnancy spell for me. My name is …
- Broken Engagemnet – Please pray for our Broken engagement. I believe impossible is nothing for God. Restore our relationship till our wedding.
- Financial Liberation – Lord , enlarge my financial status so DAT I can meet all my financial needs and guards my ways in eveeything i do. In Jesus …
- A car, spouse and baby – Am praying and trusting God for a car, a Honda Fit, also a spouse and a baby
- relationship problem – Please pray for me that my lover returns to me as he is reluctant to marry due to financial problems.And hence he is purposefully avoiding …
- marriage and protection – heaveanly father. you the lord that has never forsaken me, and even today m deeply hurt so many times and always date wrong guys . …
- Wedding Meal Prayer – God our Father, & Lord of all Creation:We gather here now to celebrate the love and commitment of (bride) & (groom), as they share their …
- The Best Irish Wedding Blessing – “May the road rise to meet you…” is probably the quintessential Irish wedding blessing. Life is a journey, and a wedding is the start of …
- A Wedding Dinner Prayer – A Wedding Dinner PrayerBy ” Father Dan WentzloffLord we thank you for our family gathered here today in celebration of this marriage and the love …
- Lord locate my life partner. – Lord, You said that it is not good for us to be alone. You made us for each other. But Lord, I find it so …
- Prayer for the Resotration of My Marriage – Dear Heavenly Father,please help me right now. I am so hurt my marriage is falling apart. my husband has been talking to a co worker …
- God locate me with a life partner – Lord, You said that it is not good for us to be alone. You made us for each other. But Lord, I find it so …
- Wedding Prayer: “ALL BECAUSE OF LOVE” – Father, I am truly blessed with my lifetime partner (my husband), which you led into my path. Being submissive isn’t a challenge but is a …
- Scottish Wedding Blessing – Scottish weddings are steeped in tradition. A traditional Scottish wedding blessing can be fun to say even at a modern Scottish ceremony. Though there are …
- The Apache Wedding Blessing – The Apache wedding blessing is one of the most popular wedding prayers for modern weddings. It is nondenominational, and became popular after appearing in the …
- Prayer for salvation and strength – What fertility means to me it means to you?spiritual poetry my salvation and strength.heal me from the inside out, deal with me as I go …
- I need I want prayer – What fertility means to me it means to you?spiritual poetry my salvation and strength.heal me from the negative to the posotive., deal with me as …
- l need a football contract to do my wedding – My name is Katsekpor, Everywhere i go shame and disgrace, hated. Football coach dont really like me and i can sing a football contract too, …