Use These 10 Verses To Pray For Our Nation
By Jason Soroski
As our nation finds itself in yet another highly divisive election season, our tendency can be to draw firm lines between ourselves based on which candidates we support, and that can in turn lead to personal dislike for one another, anger towards those who lead, and eventually division.
As Christians, we are to live in a fine balance; standing for that which is true while seeking unity amongst ourselves whenever possible, standing firm in the faith while showing grace to those who do not, holding our leaders accountable while praying for their wisdom and well-being.
We are to learn from the words of Ezekiel 22:30, “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.”
We are to be those who stand in the gap, who lift up our nation with all it favors and faults before the throne of God, and pray that He continues to work in our midst.
Scriptures to Pray For Ourselves:
1) I Timothy 2:1-2 – I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
2) I Peter 2:17 – Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
RELATED: What praying accomplishes in times of tragedy
3) Romans 13:1 – Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
4) Jeremiah 29:7 – Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.
5) II Chronicles 7:14 – if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Scriptures to Pray for our Leaders:
6) Psalms 2:10-11 – Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.
7) Proverbs 11:14 – For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers.
RELATED: A prayer for our country and our leadership
8) Proverbs 21:1 – The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.
9) Job 12:23-25 – He makes nations great, and destroys them; he enlarges nations, and disperses them.
10) Proverbs 2:1-8 – My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2) turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding- 3) indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4) and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, 5) then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. 6) For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7) He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, 8) for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
May we be faithful, informed and thoughtful when praying and talking to others about our politics, and as we ask for God’s wisdom and righteousness to be evident in our nation’s policies and leaders.
Jason Soroski is a writer, worship pastor, and homeschool dad. Connect with Jason on Twitter or at JasonSoroski.net.
An interesting look at whether you should vote for the lesser of two evils.
Prayers to Encourage Your Christian Life
This article is part of a series of prayers that are published on GodUpdates. Here are more posts about prayers that we thought you might like!
- 14 Daily Prayers To Jump Start Your Morning
- 9 Fruits of the Spirit Prayers to Pray to be More Like Jesus
- 5 Prayers for Protection and Safety
- 3 Simple Prayers You Need to Pray Regularly
- 4 Simple Prayers for the Grieving Heart
Father, firstly I would like to thank You for always answering our prayers. You never abandon us and You always give us more than we deserve. Thank You for being who You are and thank You for dwelling in us.
Lord, I come to You today because I am heart-broken by the things I see happening in the nations today and I place my trust in You, my refuge and my fortress. I declare that the weapons of the enemy are disarmed and dismantled in the name of Jesus! I come against every principality, power and ruler of darkness in the name of Jesus! Father,thank You, for (Ps.33:12) “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,the people He has chosen as His own inheritance.” I’m claiming Your promise to us Lord, for You said (2 Chr:7:14) “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and forgive their sin and heal their land. ”I declare that (Is.60:18) ”Violence shall no longer be heard in our land, neither wasting nor destruction within our borders; but we shall call our walls Salvation, and our gates Praise.”
I pray that Your people will see, hear and feel the way You do; that they would be heart-broken for what breaks Your heart and turn to You with all their heart, weeping, mourning, fasting and praying for revival in their land. I declare Shalom in this nation because You are the Lord that will give strength to Your people, and You are the Lord that will bless Your people with peace. Thank You, for Your promises are yeah and amen. Your word says (Ps.89:15-18) ”Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! They walk, O Lord, in the light of Your countenance. In Your name they rejoice all day long and in Your righteousness, they are exalted. For You are the glory of their strength and in Your favour, our horn is exalted. For our shield belongs to the Lord, and our king to the Holy One of Israel.”
Your word is true, Father and I trust in it. Thank You for what You have done, what You are doing and what You’re about to do. Thank You for changing the mindsets of the people in every nation and that Your perfect love will cast out every fear and replace it with faith in You, Jesus! I thank You for giving me a heart of compassion and for being my Intercessor, Advocate and my Comforter. I confess all these things to be done in Jesus’ mighty name! All the honor and glory belongs to You, God. I love You and I believe in my heart and confess with my mouth that JESUS IS LORD over every nation because Jesus is the HOPE OF NATIONS!…..Amen.
1 Thessalonians 1:2 – “We give thanks to God always for you all,making mention of you in our prayers.”
“Nothing was more pressing than that the nations and multitudes who are marching to a Christless eternity should be saved. How I saw the agendas of men: so many and varied and all of such vital importance to them, but there was only one paramount agenda to God: The nations. I instantly realized that the entire task of the glorious triune God was completely and utterly devotedto this one supreme purpose for which Jesus had so freely given His life. All else was rather trivial in comparison and we all had majored on the trivial.” – Michael Howard
A few days ago most Americans were fixed on the television as they watched the inauggeration of a new president. It was quite a momentous occasion to say the least – Parades, dinners, ballroom dancing, speeches, prayers, and so much more. So many travelled for miles to watch the transference of power and to possibly get a quick glimpse of the new president as his car drove by. So much is at stake when we think of the nations and as we think of the transference of power on that one day. There were riots and protests with those who were opposed to the new presidency. I was struck afresh in my own heart about the desperate need to diligently pray daily for our nation.
As a young missionary I lived for years on a ship that sailed from nation to nation. Although it was not always easy at sea, it was perhaps one of the greatest privileges of my life. While at sea for days with our ship bobbing up and down in the vast and seemingly limitless ocean, it would be easy to feel low or even seasick. It was during those times that I found it was a prime opportunity to seek to see things from God’s point of view. Undistracted by the busyness of the usual routines, I was able to look at God’s world and take time to hear His heart of love for the nations. His heart is full of compassion for the world and the desperation of mankind.
What does this mean to us as intercessors and as a people who want to grow in prayer? Our focus should also include the world, the nations (especially our own), and the cities around us. We are the ones who can impact our nation through our prayers. I’ve heard it said that history belongs to the intercessors.
God is looking to and fro across this whole earth to find those whose hearts are as His heart, those who will intercede for the nations. Will you be one to stand in the gap for your nation? God is looking for intercessors (Isaiah 59:16). Will you let God lay a nation on your heart for the purpose of prayer? God wants to give us His passion for the world. A key to our authority is when our heartbeat aligns with the heartbeat of our Almighty God. He desires to use each one of us in a powerful way to touch our own nation. Let’s discipline our lives to include pray for our nation and other nations on a daily basis. But how can we do this?
How to Pray for Your Nation
“The only condition that is to give worldwide power to this Gospel is prayer, and the spread of this Gospel will depend on prayer. The energy that is to give it marvelous momentum and conquering power over all its malignant and powerful foes is the energy of prayer.” – E. M. Bounds
I encourage you to pray for your nation every day. As you grow in praying for your nation, let God burden your heart for different parts of the world. Ask Him to lay a burden on your heart for other nations, unreached people groups, and other regions of the world. You may want to pray for troubled areas of the world and people you hear about on the news – the refugees, earthquake victims, war-torn areas, and so on. God wants every one of us to open our eyes, enlarge our vision, and begin to pray for the needy world around us.
There are many ways to effectively pray. Some intercessors like to pray through prayer cards with prayer requests for different nations. Others like to pray over a large map of a country. Some like to use the book Operation World that has detailed requests for every nation. Each way is good, but the main thing is to begin. Adding countries into your prayer life develops your effectiveness in a powerful way. Your burden for the world grows, and you begin to see the world and life in a new way. Our own problems seem smaller when we focus on the needs of whole nations and people groups.
Here are several points of prayer for your nation with Bible verses to help you. During your time of prayer, God may have you focus strongly on one or on a few of these items. Be creative, be led by the Holy Spirit, and use the Scriptures in your prayers. Don’t think you have to pray through the whole list, but let God direct you by His Spirit. Here’s how:
- Thank God for how He is working in the nations –“How awesome is the Lord most High, the great King is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth! God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne” (Psalm 47:2, 8).
- Pray for unity in the body of Christ –“I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me” (John 17:23).
- Pray for revival among God’s people – “Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?” (Psalm 85:6).
- Pray for your governmental and spiritual leaders –“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness” (1 Timothy 2:1-2).
- Pray that God’s people will walk in holiness and obedience –“Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God” (2 Corinthians 7:1).
- Pray for the fear of the Lord in your land – “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7).
- Pray for God to send His workers into the harvest field – “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-20).
- Pray that the Church will reach out to the poor, needy and imprisoned –“Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering” (Hebrews 13:3).
- Pray for the salvation of the lost –“And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Acts 2:21).
- Pray that God will use children and youth mightily for His glory – “At that time Jesus said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children’” (Matthew 11:25).
- Pray for just laws and righteous moral standards –“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:34).
- Pray that the Word of God will be given its rightful place –“Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them” (Psalm 119:129).
- Pray that Houses of Prayer and worship will start in every major city in your nation – “These will I bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations” (Isaiah 56:7).
- Pray that God’s people will know how to effectively wage spiritual warfare – “Finally be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes”(Ephesians 6:10-11).
- Pray the promises of God in His Word over the nations – “The nations will fear the name of the Lord, all the kings of the earth will revere your glory” (Psalm 102:15).
Praying for the nations has rewards that will endure throughout all eternity. This may be one of the most strategic things we ever do. One day we will worship God around the throne in heaven with people from every tribe and tongue and nation (Revelation 5:9). We will then realize the value of every prayer we prayed for a nation while we were on the earth. Are you willing today to pray daily for your nation? Are you willing to invest your time in a task that is so rewarding?
11 Breakthrough Prayers to Empower Your Life in 2017!“While I am very excited about what is happening, yet as an intercessor, I can never forget that over half of the world’s population has never heard of Jesus. The task ahead is still enormous. As darkness covers the earth in the last days and darkens the people, the glory of the Lord will shine brighter and brighter in the face of a people who love Him absolutely and uncomprisingly. In this way, the whole world will know that there is a God who reigns in the Heavens and man will be left without excuse on the day of Christ’s appearing. The Spirit is still heralding a call for watchmen to join the great choir of intercessors.” Michael Howard
Together in the Harvest,
Intercessors Arise International
International House of Prayer Kansas City (IHOPKC)
I don’t know about you but I have a hard time watching or listening to the news. In fact, I don’t.
The state of our nation is disturbing, discouraging, and to be honest, baffling.
It’s clear there is a fight going on for the soul of our nation. It’s possible you and I don’t share the same home country but we do share this: Friends, we are at war.
This isn’t a war fought with guns and air strikes. Wars of this kind are won on our knees.
Let me ask you, Do you have a war time strategy?
Or are you spending more time watching the news, complaining about it and cluck-clucking in bewilderment than actually engaging in the battle?
I’m guilty of it.
But I’ve decided as a child of God, it is my responsibility to join the fight. No, not in some political campaign or with comments and arguments on Facebook, but in prayer for our country, on my knees, with the Word of God and these war room verses spread out in front of me. Praying for our nation is something I CAN do.
If you are wondering how to pray for our nation, you’ve come to the right place! We will soon be observing the National Day of Prayer and I don’t know of a more critical time of prayer for our country. Will you join me?
I invite you to play a part in praying for the nation. Let’s turn off the news and news feeds and let’s spend ten minutes a day praying these scripture prayers for our nation.
Let’s be in prayer for the leaders of our country; let’s join our hearts and offer up prayers for the nation and its leaders. We have weapons strong enough to destroy strongholds. We’re insane crazy not to use them!!
So how about it? Let’s be a force of people praying – men and women in our bathrooms as we dress for work, on our knees in our war rooms, in our cars, at lunch breaks, whenever and wherever. Let’s charge heaven with the prayers of the faithful. Let’s be a dadgum army.
Below you’ll find suggested Scripture prayers for our nation.
10 War Room Prayers For Our Nation:
Below are ten suggested references, followed by my own sample prayers. Please note my prayers are not Bible translations. They are included for those who would like examples of how to prayer. You can use these as a prayer guide for our nation.
II Chronicles 7:14
Lord, You promise that when your people pray, humble themselves, and seek You, You will hear and answer. You even promise healing in the land. Lord, our land needs healing and I believe it starts with me. I humble myself before You right here, right now. I’m seeking Your face. I ask You to grant me a repentant spirit so I may be an instrument that ushers in Your blessing for this nation.
Lord, Your blessing has been upon this nation and I thank You for your kind mercies! But Your word says the blessed nation is the one whose God is the Lord and our nation has turned from You. God, on behalf of myself and my people, I confess our disregard of You. Bring Your people to repentance and let this nation once again be one who calls You “Lord.”
Righteousness exalts a nation, Lord. Not flagrant personalities and foul speech. Not the boastful pride of man or “progressive” lifestyles or quick talking politicians who present themselves as the solution for the world. Righteousness, Lord, righteousness is what we need. Oh Lord, let Your righteousness rain down on us and spring up from within every home and community in our land!
Many of the things I hear coming out of the mouths of those in the media make me shudder, Lord. Fear of You is sorely lacking and I humble myself before You to beseech Your mercies on behalf of a people who don’t fear or acknowledge You. Forgive us, God! Strike a fear in the heart of Your people! Show us the seriousness of our sin and the holiness of Your majesty. Let us see and understand You as God… King… Sovereign One… Ruler of heaven and earth. And let us be wise!
Lord, You promise that the gates of hell will not overcome Your church. You have a people and You have a plan that will not fail. No matter what, Your purposes will prevail. You are in Your church and indwell Your people. In this we take great hope. Strengthen Your people, Lord! Strengthen Your church in this country! Let us rise to the battle cry and faithfully stand firm! Stir up our passions and desires for purity, holiness, and intimacy with You. Let us walk in the unquenchable fire of Your Spirit.
II Corinthians 6:17
God, call Your people to come out and be separate. All across this land, call Your people to set aside wordly wisdom, pride and appearances, materialism, the need for approval, idolatry of all sorts. Lead us out and lead us up. We are a holy nation, a royal priesthood, set apart for worthy purposes. Stir in each and every heart to come out and be different!
Oh Lord, we need to see You as You truly are, not as what others say You are. Let Your people see You high and lifted up! Let us see You as holy. Let us understand Your nature, character, and sovereignty. Let us know Your word. Sweep across this land and reveal Yourself like never before. Let us know You, God!
Cause each of Your children to shine brightly in this dark land, Lord. Let each light take it’s place on a lampstand and draw others to You. May those without Christ see our good works and glorify You. We pray that many will come to know You and confess You as Lord.
Lord, we believe in Your sovereignty. We know You are the One who sets up rulers and kings. The buck stops with You. We pray for our leaders and future leaders…and those who elect them… to have wisdom, knowledge, and discernment, for these things come from You.
We pray for Your Kingdom to come, Your will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. We know Your will is for righteousness, salvation, and truth. We pray for these things to define our lives, our marriages, our homes, our communities, and our nation. We ask for Your church to be vessels that usher in Your Kingdom and fulfill Your will. Grant us, Your servants, success as we seek to glorify Your name.
There you have it, 10 war time scriptures to pray for the nation and to pray for our leaders. I encourage you to stop right now, take ten minutes, and write out the scriptures above. Let’s begin praying them today. Armed with promises to trust God for, we CAN make a difference through the power of prayer!
Before you go, be sure to join our email community below for free prayer cards, challenges, printables and more resources for growing in your walk with Christ.