Letting go is scary. Letting go means letting go of control. No one wants to be out of control. But you can’t control everything. You can’t control outcomes. You have to let it go.
Letting go means trusting God. The outcome is in God’s hands. God knows every situation and what is on every person’s heart. The sooner you let go and let God handle a challenge or problems, the sooner you will feel lighter.
My friend Jill Farmer is the author of There’s Not Enough Time and Other Lies We Tell Ourselves. She talks about to-do lists and having a God’s to-do list. I love that! When we let go, we turn our struggle and worries over to God. We put that on his to-do list. (Side note: My to-do list for God is getting longer and longer!)
Holding onto past hurts, past mistakes, anxious and fearful thoughts, etc. clutters your mind and spirit. You can become a prisoner of your own thoughts.
Romans 12:2 urges us to, “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”
2 Corinthians 3:17 tells us that, “The Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom”
You can’t experience freedom if anxious, obsessive, fearful thoughts clutter your mind. Letting go and letting God’s loving Spirit fill your heart and mind will set you free.
Here is a prayer for letting go. If you want to receive a copy of this prayer along with a free copy of the the Letting Go Guided Meditation Prayer MP3 from the Let it Go CD, click on the button below.
Send Me the FREE Letting Go Meditation Now
A Prayer for Letting Go
In this moment, I let go of all thoughts and concerns.
When I let go, I am able to receive.
When my hands are formed into tight fists, I cannot open my hands to receive anything.
When I hang onto tight control,
When I close off my heart and my spirit,
I cannot receive your blessings for me.
I let go to receive your blessings.
Letting go in this moment, I receive your loving presence around me and within me.
Help me to let go when I am feeling overwhelmed, so that I may receive your peace.
Help me to let go when I feel fear so that in fear’s place I may receive love and courage.
I let go of problems and challenges in order to receive your guidance and clarity.
I let go and trust you.
I will not fall.
You will catch me.
I let go and trust in the still, small voice inside of me.
Help me not to struggle but to surrender my struggle to you.
I gladly receive this gift of letting go and letting you lead me and guide me.
(I speak from a lifetime of experience in letting go. Read my letting go story.)
Receive encouragement everyday with my book, God Notes – Daily Doses of Divine Encouragement. Let go of those anxious thoughts and be still with healing words.
If you would like more encouragement on your spiritual path, join me and others in The Guided Life. You can sign up below. It’s free.
If you wish to receive a copy of this prayer along with the recorded Letting Go Meditation, click here:
Send Me the FREE Letting Go Meditation Now
Join The Guided Life – It’s FREE
Your email will never be shared.
by Henrik Edberg on November 30, 2016
Letting go can be one of the hardest things to do in life.
But at the same time it can be one of the most powerful and liberating things too.
So this week I’d like to share 36 of the most thought-provoking and inspiring quotes from the past few thousands of years on letting go, moving on and living your life fully and happily.
I hope you’ll find something helpful here.
- “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.”
– Hermann Hesse
- “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
– Alexander Graham Bell
- “Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.”
– Erich Fromm
- “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.”
– Oprah Winfrey
- “We need to learn to let go as easily as we grasp and we will find our hands full and our minds empty.”
– Leo F. Buscaglia
- “There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world, it’s the beginning of a new life.”
- “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.”
– Theodore Roosevelt
- “The greatest loss of time is delay and expectation, which depend upon the future. We let go the present, which we have in our power, and look forward to that which depends upon chance, and so relinquish a certainty for an uncertainty.”
- “Your past does not equal your future.”
– Anthony Robbins
- “To let go is to release the images and emotions, the grudges and fears, the clingings and disappointments of the past that bind our spirit.”
– Jack Kornfield
- “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need.”
– Lao Tzu
- “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”
– Deborah Reber
- “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.”
– Guy Finley
- “I demolish my bridges behind me…then there is no choice but to move forward.”
– Fridtjof Nansen
- “Why do people persist in a dissatisfying relationship, unwilling either to work toward solutions or end it and move on? It’s because they know changing will lead to the unknown, and most people believe that the unknown will be much more painful than what they’re already experiencing.”
– Anthony Robbins
- “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”
– Joseph Campbell
- “Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.”
– Raymond Lindquist
- “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.”
– Lyndon B. Johnson
- “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.”
– J. K. Rowling
- “Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed.”
– Wayne Dyer
- “The most difficult aspect of moving on is accepting that the other person already did.”
– Faraaz Kazi
- “Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.”
– Bob Newhart
- “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energy moving forward together towards an answer.”
– Denis Waitley
- “Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing that there’s a future.”
– Daphne Rose Kingma
- “Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. You’re able to benefit from the unique viewpoints of others, without being crippled by your own judgment.”
– Ralph Marston
- “When we go back in to the past and rake up all the troubles we’ve had, we end up reeling and staggering through life. Stability and peace of mind come by living in the moment.”
– Pam W. Vredevelt
- “Just remember, when you should grab something, grab it; when you should let go, let go.”
- “You don’t need strength to let go of something. What you really need is understanding.”
– Guy Finley
- “There’s an important difference between giving up and letting go.”
– Jessica Hatchigan
- “You’ve got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old – whatever ‘the old’ means for you.”
– Sarah Ban Breathnach
- “Leaders spend 5% of their time on the problem and 95% of their time on the solution. Get over it and crush it.”
– Anthony Robbins
- “Anything I cannot transform into something marvelous, I let go.”
– Anais Nin
- “The best skill at cards is knowing when to discard.”
– Baltasar Gracián
- “Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?”
– Leo Buscaglia
- “You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.”
– Jan Glidewell
What is your favorite quote on letting go? Feel free to share the best one(s) you have found in this article or in your life in the comments section below.
Oh King of Heaven, how we love You! You, our Father, are magnificent and none can compare to your Glory. We bow down before you, to humbly ask that you help us release every negative thought, every trace of doubt and every bit of fear that may lurk deep within our hearts. Help us to let go of the things that consume our happiness as we declare you release joy into our lives.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Let Go of limiting beliefs
Father, we ask your assistance in letting go of ideals, old patterns (or habits that no longer serve us), arguments and limiting beliefs.
Help us to remember that letting go is a healthy practice to maintain joy and peace within our hearts, as well as our lives.
Lord, help us to let go of ideals, old patterns or habits that no longer serve us. Click To Tweet
Isaiah 43:18-19 Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Letting Go means finding forgiveness
Lord remind us that letting go also means finding forgiveness. Whether it is forgiving yourself, or forgiving a person who betrayed you.
Help us to release the past and let go of the pain and anger that destroys our ability to show compassion.
Luke 6:37 Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;
Ephesians 4:31-32 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and slander be put away from you, as well as all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
All things work together for good
Help us, Oh Loving Father, to remember everything in our lives happen for a reason and you alone know why.
For you make all things work together for our good. Every detail, every event, whether big or small, is all part of your plan to shape us and mold us into the persons we are meant to be.
Knowing this now, we declare that every situation that makes our hearts heavy, be released…
In Jesus’ most precious name, AMEN!!
ALL things work together for good, for those who are called according to God’s purpose! Rom 8:28 Click To Tweet
Letting Go Quotes for Him and Her: Moving on from bad relationships is tough as hell. How do you move on from bad memories? How do you take the decision to walk away from someone who you can’t live without? These are the painful questions that trap people in the toxic web of unrequited love. It is never easy to put the prefix ex before girlfriend or boyfriend, but some relationships do more harm than good. Sometimes, holding on may not be the best thing to do. Sometimes, breaking up may be the wise thing to do. Sometimes, heartbreak may be the only road to happiness. As hard as they sound, these messages will touch a chord deep down in your heart and soul. They will empower, motivate and inspire you to move on from something that was never meant to be.
1) People who don’t love you for who you are, don’t deserve you for who you can be.
2) It is tough to let go of someone you can’t live without. But living with someone who can live without you, is much worse.
3) Never underestimate the power of unrequited love. It will break your heart, destroy your soul and will make you doubt the power of love.
4) Let go of love that is one-sided before it makes you let go of your self-respect.
5) Holding on to a toxic relationship doesn’t make you strong. It weakens you from the soul and strips you of your dignity. Let go, move on.
6) Letting go does not mean erasing memories. It simply means that you’re now ready to make better ones.
7) Beyond the suffering, lies redemption. Beyond the hurt, lies solace. Beyond the pain, lies happiness. Beyond the heartbreak, lies freedom.
8) It’s great to be committed to fixing a broken relationship. But’s it stupid to hold on to one, when the love is unrequited.
9) It’s tough to let go and move on from bad relationships, but so is every other good thing in life.
10) It’s never easy to let go of memories. But always remember that there are more beautiful ones yet to be made.
11) Break the memories before they break you. Breath it out and let it go.
12) Difficult journeys lead to beautiful destinations, and letting go is no different.
13) In relationships, give your heart but never your soul. You’ll be able to pick up the broken pieces of your heart when it’s time to move on but you’ll always leave behind a part of your soul.
14) Walk away from a bad relationship before it makes you walk away from yourself.
15) Never breakup without a reason and once you do, never look back.
16) Letting go of your past does not mean you’ve changed as a person. It simply means that you’ve realized that you deserve better.
17) When you feel afraid to let go, just remind yourself that it is more painful to remain in the wrong relationship than to let go of it.
18) Never give up on a relationship. Give it all you’ve got. But draw the line when it comes to being loved for who you are, and not for who someone else wants you to be.
19) Nothing in the whole world is worth being lied to… especially relationships.
20) Letting go doesn’t mean that you’re forgiving someone else… it just means that you’re forgiving yourself.
21) It is time to move on when your love for someone has left you worse, than the person you were when you found them.
22) Relationships are all about compromises, but love isn’t. Love is as pure and as innocent as it gets and there is no space for malice. When there is no love, it’s time to walk out and move on.
23) The first step of moving forward in life is to realize that it’s over.
24) Letting go isn’t the same as giving up. Sometimes, it’s better to let go than to pin your hopes on something that just wasn’t meant to be.
25) Never let your heart’s inner voice drown out in the noise of the chaos outside. If your heart says it is time to let go, maybe it is…
26) Let go, move on, walk away and never look back. The only remedy to a broken heart.
27) Walking away from a toxic relationship is like walking on broken glass. Yes, your feet will bleed. Yes, you will be in pain. But take one step at a time, seeking solace in the fact that a few painful steps are better than a lifetime of pain and suffering.
28) Sometimes, hanging on does more damage than letting go.
29) Letting go, is the moment when you realize that your self-respect is more important than fake promises.
30) Respect is love’s unspoken prerequisite. If you’re not getting any, walk out.
31) Your peace of mind is too precious to be ruined by people who’ve broken your heart. Breath in what lies ahead, and breath out what has gone by.
32) You will never realize it’s over until you let go and move on.
33) Letting go of bad memories of your ex is like having a hot coffee after a big night out. The quicker you do it, the lesser is the hangover.
34) Never give space in your memory bank to people who’ve broken your trust. Once they’re out, they’re out.
35) Don’t be ashamed or afraid of changing your relationship status on social media. Do it before it changes you as a person.
36) It’s better to be sad and alone, than to love someone and not be loved back.
37) Letting go is not a sign of weakness. It shows that you have the strength to stand up for what you deserve.
38) It takes more courage to let go of the wrong relationship than to be in it.
39) Love unconditionally, but never let your love be taken for granted. When your love is disrespected, humiliated and not reciprocated, it is time to let go and move on.
40) It takes courage to accept a relationship for what it is. Sometimes, it takes more strength to let go, than to stay on.