The following prayer to overcome fear, anxiety and worry, will help you focus your thoughts on God’s peace and presence.
Instead of focusing on your fear, anxiety, and worry, focus on the words that Jesus said to his disciples. “I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?”
You don’t need to carry any burden on your own. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
A yoke is a harness like device that pares two working animals together. Back in biblical times it was used a lot. The yoke lessened the burden of a single ox doing all of the work, thus, making the work easy. We forget that we are connected to Jesus and that Jesus walks beside us. If we truly grasp that, how could we be fearful, anxious, and worried?
May this prayer help you to begin that focus to overcome your fear, anxiety, and worry. Use this prayer whenever anxiety, fear, or worry start to take hold.
Most gracious and loving God,
I don’t know what to do.
I am filled with anxiety, fear, and worry.
These feelings have taken over me, and I can no longer control them.
I can’t keep living like this anymore.
It’s not living.
I feel paralyzed, trapped, with no way out.
Help me find a way out of my anxiety, fear, and worry.
As I say this prayer, I realize that I have been pushing you away, along with pushing away your love, and your peace.
I’ve allowed these thoughts of anxiety, fear, and worry to take control.
I forgot what your Word says, that there is no fear in love, and that perfect love casts out fear.
I forgot that your love for me is perfect. You love me just as I am, and especially when I am anxious, fearful, and worried.
I forgot that love never fails.
All of this anxiety, fear, and worry has blocked your peace that surpasses all understanding.
I choose to surrender this anxiety, fear, and worry to you.
Right now, I will just sit and be still in your presence.
I welcome your loving, healing presence beside me and within me.
Fill me with your peace.
Fill me with your love.
Cast out my anxiety, fear, and worry.
Whenever anxious, fearful, and worried thoughts return, I will tell them to, “be still – hush!”
I will focus instead on your loving, peaceful presence leading me and guiding me.
I will remember that you are always with me.
So, I will trust you more.
In the name of your Son, the Prince of Peace,
What if instead of praying to God, you felt God speaking to you? That’s what God Notes is like. April 1-7 you can release fear, anxiety and worry even more for just 99 cents.
(Click here or on the picture to read more and to purchase.)
If you want to find deeper peace and experience God’s presence in a profound way, meditation will help you quiet your mind and clear out those anxious, fearful, and worried thoughts.
Here are three resources to help you. These meditations are helping people all over the world find relief from anxiety, fear and worry by drawing closer to God.
You can try out the Letting Go Meditation by downloading it for free. Just click the image below.
Want encouragement on your spiritual path? Join me in The Guided Life. It’s free. Via email, I’ll send you stories, encouragement, Scripture, and resources to live a life guided by God. You can sign up below.
Join The Guided Life – It’s FREE
Your email will never be shared.
There have been a few dreams during my 20-something years that have left me frightened. But one dream in particular left me speechless, dizzy, and nauseous from fear. In fact, I don’t think it was a dream, but instead was a night terror – the kind of dream where you cannot fall back asleep because it felt so real.
At that moment, I felt anything but peaceful. Since then, I’ve had to fight for peace to invade the anxiety.
I’m here to tell you that if you suffer from anxiety, I know what it feels like. And I’m also here to tell you that if you suffer from downright fear, I know what that feels like too.
The truth is that God did not create us to be a fear-filled people – an anxious people. Instead, He created us for peace, goodness, love, and lasting purpose – free from the chains of fear. It’s difficult to focus on the good things from God when your mind is stuck on the bad, right? When you can’t stop thinking about the dream you had, the unknown future, the weight of making big decisions or the pit that won’t leave your stomach?
We need prayer. We need a solid foundation on which to stand. And we need to be a people who cry out to Jesus when we’re tempted to fall into deep fear and anxiety.
Cry out to Jesus with these 10 prayers for #anxiety & fear! #prayer Click To Tweet
1. A Prayer for a Quiet Mind
“Lord, quiet my mind in this moment. Make fear disappear. In its place, plant truth. You are a God who saves, who loves, who comforts, who protects. Quiet my mind so that I can focus on you and your power. Make all thoughts that are not of you disappear. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
2. A Prayer for a Peaceful Heart
“Heavenly Father, my heart feels anything but peaceful in this moment. I feel afraid. But you promise in John 14 that you have given us peace in the form of the Holy Spirit. I know I can trust your promises, and I know you are not a God who lies (Numbers 23:19). So, please provide that peace to me now. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
3. A Prayer for the Unknown
“God, I am afraid of the things I do not know. I want to be excited for the future, but I find myself scared and overwhelmed. Please give me wisdom to move forward when needed, and the knowledge to know when to stand back and wait. Just as Solomon asked for wisdom in 1 Kings 3, I ask you for wisdom now, Lord. I surrender the future into your almighty hands. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
4. A Prayer for the Absence of Fear
“Lord, I ask for peace to enter & fear to leave! I ask for the absence of fear in my mind, my heart, my soul, my thoughts, and my words. I ask for deep faith to flood the fearful places – that I would remember your power and faithfulness in moments of fear. Keep the evil one away. Draw near as you promise in James 4:8. As I draw near to you, Lord, please draw near to me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
5. A Prayer for the Presence of Faith
“God, I believe in you and your power. I believe in your gift of salvation. I believe in grace and mercy. Thank you for making it possible for me to spend eternity with you! What a gift! Lord, I believe. Please help my unbelief in moments of fear and anxiety. I ask for more faith, for more opportunities to grow and become like Christ. Strengthen my faith, especially in moments when I find it hard to believe. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
6. A Prayer for Strength
“Heavenly Father, in Joshua 1 you tell your people to ‘be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.’ Lord, I want to be strong. Please supply me with strength and power, wisdom and knowledge. Make me obedient to your ways, able to fight fear, and victorious over anxiety. I trust that you are with me wherever I go, Father. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
7. A Prayer for Understanding Community
“God, please surround me with people who understand the pain of anxiety. Provide a community of people who can uplift and encourage, reminding me of truth when I need to be reminded. I ask for people who are gentle and kind, yet bold and honest. You created us to live in authentic community. Lord, give me courage to be vulnerable with those I can trust. In Jesus Name, Amen.”
8. A Prayer for Demolished Strongholds
“God, your word says that we should ‘demolish strongholds and every pretense that sets itself up against the knowledge of God…” (2 Corinthians 10:5) I know there are lies about fear and anxiety that I have believed. I ask that you would bring those false strongholds to light, that I would be able to defeat them with your truth. Anything that is of the world – meant to frighten me and cause anxiety – I ask that you would wipe it away. Help me to focus on you and your truth. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
9. A Prayer for Captive Thoughts
“Lord, 2 Corinthians 10:5 says, ‘…take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ.’ When I am tempted to fear and give in to anxiety, I ask that you would stop me, causing me to take every thought captive. Fill my mind with truth so that I can easily remember what is noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy (Phil. 4:8). Take away the evil, frightening, anxious thoughts and replace them with your powerful, living truth. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
10. A Prayer for Protection
“Almighty God, some of my fear comes from feeling alone, unsafe, or unprotected. I know that you are the faithful protector. You say ‘don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.’ (Matthew 10:31) I ask that you would show me your faithful protection, and help me to believe in your powerful authority over my life. You are sovereign. I know I can trust in you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
Bonus! A Prayer for Light to Invade Darkness
“Father, in John 1:5 you tell me that, ‘light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.’ What a promise! I ask for your light – the light that has victory over all darkness – to invade my heart. When my mind feels dark and my heart feels heavy, fill me with your promise of light. You make all things new, Lord. Even my fear & anxiety! Thank you for your light – for the promise that darkness will not win. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
Prayer is powerful. God promises to hear our prayers, and when we don’t know what to prayer, Jesus is faithful to intercede on our behalf.
I encourage you to let these prayers be a starting ground for fierce time on your knees. Write them down. Repeat them often. Make these prayers the song of your heart – especially in moments of intense fear & anxiety.
Anxiety does not have control over you or me – no matter how frightening the dreams or rampant the fear. The Lord does have control. And our best way to communicate with Him is through earnest, honest prayer.
Grab the printable version of these 10 prayers below!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Fear. One of the enemy’s most popular weapons that he uses against us. Worry, anxiety, fear…can overwhelm us with a thick shadow of darkness, controlling our every move and decision.
So much crazy going on around us today – wars, conflicts, persecution, violence, crime, natural disasters, terrorism, economic uncertainty, unemployment, divisions, disease, death. We fear for our children’s future, we fear for our families, we fear for our financial future, we fear for our safety. The list goes on…long. There actually is a lot we could potentially worry about.
Yet reality tells us that so much of what we spend our time worrying about never even happens. Living under the weight of the “what if’s” is a hard place to dwell.
I struggled with fear and worry for years. But through time, I began to find that the things that once would have sent me down an anxious spiral, no longer had the same effect. It didn’t happen quickly, but over days, months, years.
I read words – of life – of truth. Soaking them in, over and over, praying them out loud. Until they became so familiar, they replaced the other things in my mind that I’d battled against. There’s nothing magical about words and verses, but there is power through them because they’re God’s words.
Change happened. Anxious thoughts began to diminish. Worry let go of its constant grip. And though fear is sometimes still there, it no longer wields control, holding me back, paralyzing me in its grasp.
His words are “life” words, soothing to our soul, calming to our spirits, giving power to our days.
It’s not always easy, and it often comes down to a choice:
- Choosing not to allow fear and anxiety to control your life.
- Choosing to guard your heart.
- Choosing to focus your mind on what is true in the midst of uncertain times.
We might still feel afraid, but we can believe that God is with us. We may not be in control, but we can trust the One who is. We may not know the future, but we can know the God who does.
33 Verses to Remind Us – We Do Not Have to Fear:
1. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Isaiah 41:10
2. “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” ~ Psalm 56:3
3. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” ~ Philippians 4:6-7
4. “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.” ~ John 14:27
5. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” ~ 2 Timothy 1:7
6. “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” ~ 1 John 4:18
7. “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” ~ Psalm 94:19
8. “But now, this is what the Lord says…Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” ~ Isaiah 43:1
9. “An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” ~ Proverbs 12:25
10. “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” ~ Psalm 23:4
11. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” ~ Joshua 1:9
12. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~ Matthew 6:34
13. “Humble yourselves, then, under God’s mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time. Leave all your worries with him, because he cares for you.” ~ 1 Peter 5:6-7
14. “Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don’t be afraid! God is coming to your rescue…” ~ Isaiah 35:4
15. “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” ~ Luke 12:22-26
16. “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” ~ Psalm 27:1
17. “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” ~ Psalm 55:22
18. “Immediately he spoke to them and said, ‘Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.’” ~ Mark 6:50
19. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” ~ Deuteronomy 31:6
20. “’For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, for I myself will help you,’ declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.” ~ Isaiah 41:13-14
21. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” ~ Psalm 46:1
22. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper.” ~ Psalm 118:6-7
23. “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” ~ Proverbs 29:25
24. “He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” ~ Mark 4:39-40
25. “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.” Psalm 34:7
26. “But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don’t worry or be afraid of their threats.” ~ 1 Peter 3:14
27. “I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.” ~ Psalm 34:4
28. “Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.” ~ Deuteronomy 3:22
29. “Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.’” ~ Revelation 1:17
30. “Jesus told him, ‘Don’t be afraid; just believe.’” ~ Mark 5:36
31. “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” ~ Romans 8:38-39
32. “The Lord your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.” ~ Zephaniah 3:17
33. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”…He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you…For he will command his angels concerning you, to guard you in all your ways…“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him…” from Psalm 91:1-16
Be assured, He is with you in whatever you face, in the turmoil and struggles, amidst the anxious thoughts and the worries of life. He is there, strengthening, helping, and He holds you in His hands.
God is greater. He gives us the power to live courageously, boldly, fearlessly in this life, when many things that surround us would tell us to be afraid. His truth whispers strong and sure to the deepest core of our spirits.
“Do not fear.”
All of that stuff on your mind? Give it to Him – again. Replace those fearful thoughts with His words of truth. And sleep in peace tonight. He knows what concerns you, He’s got you covered.
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor’s wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead’s Facebook page, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives.
Find her also at and
This article is part of our larger resource library of popular Bible verse phrases and quotes. We want to provide easy to read articles that answer your questions about the meaning, origin, and history of specific verses within Scripture context. It is our hope that these will help you better understand the meaning and purpose of God’s Word in relation to your life today.
“Pray Without Ceasing”
“Fearfully and Wonderfully Made””Faith Without Works is Dead””Trust in the Lord with All Your Heart””All Things Work Together for Good””Be Strong and Courageous” “Train Up a Child in the Way He Should Go””Love Your Neighbor as Yourself””Tke Every Thought Captive””Do Not Fear””God is Love””Eye for an Eye””Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing””I Can Do All Things Through Christ””The Lord is my Shepherd”