Mealtime prayers are essential conversations with God. Paul tells us to: “Celebrate always, pray constantly, and give thanks to God no matter what circumstances you find yourself in.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
Poverty and starvation are an everyday reality for some, while others of us quench their thirst and put hunger at bay at our leisure. No matter which side of the pendulum we find ourselves on, praying God’s will over our lives and our meals is important. “… for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18b NLT)
Praying God’s blessing over our meals is a simple way to make a big difference on the daily alignment of our hearts. Use dinner time and all other times of eating to recall God’s goodness in your life. It helps us remember that our blessings come from our Creator… who deserves credit for all.
Here are 10 prayers that will fit any mealtime situation, from formal family dinners, to meals on the go at the neighborhood drive-thru:
- 1 1. A Prayer That This Food May Fuel Us to Do Your Work
- 2 2. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Hungry
- 3 3. A Prayer of Confession
- 4 4. A Prayer for Family Mealtime
- 5 5. A Prayer for Mealtime Fellowship
- 6 6. A Prayer for When Someone is Missed at the Table
- 7 7. A Prayer for Dining Out
- 8 8. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Last Supper
- 9 9. A Prayer for When Food is Scarce
- 10 10. A Prayer for the Drive-Thru
- 11 A Birthday Blessing
- 12 Birthday Prayers for Cards
- 13 Prayer to have a Happy Birthday Celebration
- 14 Prayer for a Newborn Baby’s Birthday
- 15 Read Birthday Bible Verses
- 16 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Birthday Prayers and Blessings”
- 17 Recent prayer requests…
1. A Prayer That This Food May Fuel Us to Do Your Work
Father, Praise You for the nourishment the You provide. Thank You for meeting our physical needs of hunger and thirst. Forgive us for taking that simple joy for granted, and bless this food to fuel our bodies forward into Your will for our lives. We pray that we will be energized and be able to work for the glory of Your Kingdom. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
2. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Hungry
Father, You are mighty and strong to sustain our bodies. Thank You for the meal we are about to enjoy. Forgive us for forgetting how many pray for food to relieve their starvation. Bless and relieve the starvation of those who hunger, Lord, and inspire our hearts to seek out ways that we can help from our abundance. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
3. A Prayer of Confession
Father, This meal is the work of Your hands. You have provided for me, again, and I am grateful. I confess my tendency to forget to ask Your blessing upon my life, through the comforts that You have given me to enjoy. So many people lack these daily comforts and it is selfish of me to forget about them in their need. Show me how to make the most of Your blessing in my life, for everything I have is a gift from You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
4. A Prayer for Family Mealtime
Father, We have gathered to share a meal in Your honor. Thank You for putting us together as family, and thank You for this food. Bless it to our bodies, Lord. We thank you for all of the gifts you’ve given to those around this table. Help each member of our family use these gifts to your glory. Guide our mealtime conversations and steer our hearts to Your purpose for our lives. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
5. A Prayer for Mealtime Fellowship
Father, Praise You for friendship and family! Thank You for bringing us together today to share a meal. The people in our lives bring us such joy, and we are grateful for time spent in fellowship together. Help us use this time to bond closer as a group, and learn to love each other more. Bless our appetites, both physical and spiritual, to honor You in all we do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
6. A Prayer for When Someone is Missed at the Table
Father, We are coping with an empty seat at our table. Be with the one we are without, today, and help us to trust in Your timing, purpose, and great love for us all. As we miss ____________ today, we pray Your blessing over him/her/them, and us, and the space in between now and when we see them next. Until then, may this food bless our bodies, and give us strength to endure the day ahead. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
7. A Prayer for Dining Out
Father, Bless this establishment and employees as they prepare and serve our food. Thank You for the opportunity to have our meal brought to us, and the ability to relax and enjoy this time with one another. We understand our privilege to be here, and we pray to be a blessing to those we encounter in this place. Bless our conversation, and may we honor You in all we do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
8. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Last Supper
Father, As we sit here today preparing to eat this food, we remember Your Son. How He came here as a human being, and ate with His family and friends just like we do. Thank You for the gift of Jesus, and that we can look to Him knowing He understands our hunger. Bless us, Lord Jesus, and stir our hearts to remember You in all we do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
9. A Prayer for When Food is Scarce
Father, We come to You hungry, today. It’s hard to understand why we don’t have enough to eat, but we come to You for strength, knowing that You are our provider. Help us to trust that You will sustain us through times of abundance and times of scarcity. Bless us and help us get back up on our feet again. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
10. A Prayer for the Drive-Thru
Father, Thank You for the drive-thru, that saves our time on busy days. We pray for those who prepared our food, and we ask that we would be a blessing to them during our brief encounter today. We remember that they are your children, and that they should be treated with kindness and respect, so that they will be able to see You in our actions. Bless this food to our bodies and keep us safe on the road today. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Photo credit: Thinkstock
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
(This is a script I wrote for an 18th birthday party.)
HOST: Good evening everyone! Welcome to Homitori Davao! Welcome to a night of pastel colors in celebration of a wonderful life for a girl who is now turning into a fine lady. All of you who are here tonight have watched her grow over the years into the wonderful person she is now. As a jumpstart, let us all welcome and acknowledge the ever supportive and loving family of our debutant:
FATHER: MR. MANUEL LAGUA, JR.
MOTHER: MRS. CYNTHIA LAGUA
ELDER SISTER: MS. THEA MACY LAGUA
Entrance of Family
HOST: To open tonight’s celebration, here’s a quick look of how this lovely, young lady came about. Roll VTR, please.
AVP plays, featuring Cham’s collection of photo memories
HOST: Tonight is a celebration of adulthood and a thanksgiving of the life God has given to our lovely celebrant. Let us put our hands together, as we welcome the main highlight of this celebration, and as she stepped into a higher level of life, ladies and gentlemen, our debutant, MONICA CHAMANE LAGUA!
Grand Entrance of Debutant
HOST: Wow, blooming and lovely, indeed! Saan nga ba siya nagmana? Kay Mommy ba? Or kay Daddy? Or baka both? Evidently, before tonight, Cham has had happy years in a very happy home. The love of a family will always be God’s greatest blessing. Sabi nga nila, in life we can have several friends, classmates, and social circles, but there is only one family who is always willing and ready to welcome us no matter what. Ladies and gentlemen, to answer the question kung saan nga ba nagmana si Cham, here’s Daddy Manuel Lagua, Jr. to welcome all of us to their lovely daughter’s 18th birthday party.
Welcome Remarks – Daddy
Host to ad-lib based on the parent’s message
HOST: At this moment, I’d like to request everybody to please stand as we say our prayer before meals to be lead by Tita Belle Lim.
Prayer before meals
HOST: To fill the room with music while we are having our dinner, we will be serenaded by City Lights Band. Bon appétit!
Music In – City Lights Band
HOST: Ladies and gentlemen, that was City Lights Band. (Introduce members). Tonight is definitely filled with a bundle of surprises for our dear Cham. Adding up to the list, here’s a video greeting from the people from all over the world who are closest to our dear debutant.
AVP plays – Video Greetings
Ad-lib – after dinner talks
HOST: Like a pretty flower that attracts bees and butterflies, Cham will be surrounded by 18 equally handsome gentlemen who will represent the debutant’s 18 carnations. This flower equates the traditional 18 roses during debuts. For a quick trivia, carnation is Cham’s favorite flower. Starting off with:
- Nil Marion Badilles- Cousin (Father Side)
- Joshua Cator– Cousin (Father Side)
- Champ Elorde– Cousin (Father Side)
- Nil Marc Badilles– Cousin (Father Side)
- JiroElorde –Cousin (Father Side)
- Xavior Rodriguez- Cousin (Mother Side)
- RestyDela Cruz –Cousin (Mother Side)
- Sael Rodriguez– Cousin (Mother Side)
- Glenn Melendez – College Friend
- Carl Manajero – High School Friend
- Mark Millare – College Friend
- Ivan Ricabo – High School Friend
- Alfonso Fernandez – Community Friend
- Christian Sulla – High School Friend
- Franz Chavez – High School Friend
- Vinno Serrano – High School Friend
- Bon Salaver – Community friend
HOST: The last dance is of course reserved to the forever most handsome and most loving guy in her life. To dance with our debutant, Cham’s 18th carnation, ladies and gentlemen, Daddy Manuel Lagua, Jr!
Father and daughter dance
HOST: (In the middle of the father and daughter dance) The father and daughter dance is probably one of the most loved traditions in any Filipino debut celebration. This signifies the daughter’s first step to womanhood and the father’s acceptance of this period in his daughter’s life.
End of Dance
HOST: Ladies and gentlemen, sit back, and let’s groove, jive and enjoy the party with the band, they’re back on stage, give it up for City Lights Band!
City Lights Band Performance
HOST: Thank you, City Lights Band for filling the room with music and for jazzing up this party with your playlist! Are you guys, still with me? More party-party later with City Lights Band. They say, memories are ways to hold on to the things that we love, and to the things that we don’t want to lose. Sabi nga ni mareng Cynthia Ozick: “What we remember from childhood, we remember forever.” Tonight we have 18 selected people who will share with us her unforgettable memory with our lovely debutant. Cham, are you ready for the bukingan time?
Host to call names one by one and maybe do ad-libs after every story.
18 Pieces of Memories
- Thea Macy Lagua – Sister
- Valerie Barrozo – High School Friend
- Jaya Medina – Community Friend
- Faith Macavinta – Community Friend
- Nicole Sai – High School Friend
- Alyanna Fernandez – Community Friend
- Precious Lim – Community Friend
- Joy Oandasan – High School Friend
- AlessaWasawas – College Friend
- Vermari Digal – College Friend
- Isabel Quinsay – Childhood Friend
- MayenMayao – College Friend
- Nicole Ingente – High School friend
- Patrice Angliongto – High School friend
- Alicia Dizon – One of my best friends in high school
- Meagan Wenceslao – High School kabarkada
- Gem Espanto – One of my best friends in high school
- Justine Alfonso – bestfriend since grade 3
HOST: All of you who are here tonight are closest to Cham. Sabi nga nila, friendship is a million little things. This time, I’d like to ask Cham’s dear friends this question: “What is that one word that best describes our debutant, and why?”
Cham to change wardrobe in preparation for the dance number
HOST: Earlier, we were serenaded by the very talented City Lights Band. At this moment, are we ready to move and groove? I can’t here you, are we ready to move and groove? Ladies and gentlemen, here’s a dance number from our debutant herself! Let’s put our hands together for Cham and friends!
Cham and Friends – Dance Number
(Ad-lib on the dance number.)
HOST: Matapos tayong pakiligin ng City Lights Band at napasayaw with Cham and friends, let’s do some ice breaker! Let’s call this “How well do you know Cham?” Gaano niyo nga ba kakilala ang ating lovely debutant? I have with me a list of trivia or questions about tonight’s fine lady. The mechanics is just simple. I will read the trivia and if you know the answer, stand up from your seat. Alright, let’s keep the ball rolling!
Trivia, trivia, trivia – While Cham changes wardrobe: From hiphop outfit to cocktail dress
HOST: Grabeh ang bukingan ngayong gabi! Nag enjoy ba tayong lahat? Seems like our gorgeous debutant really enjoyed tonight. From the shared memories to a game trivia, Cham has shared a part of her growing years with all of us. At sabi nga ni mareng Willa Cather? “Where there is great love, there are always wishes.” Because birthdays are always new beginnings, new endeavors with new set of goals, sending birthday messages and wishes is a tradition especially in our country, where we give high value to family ties and relationship. Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you these 18 Wishers for our debutant. These are the people close to the heart of our celebrant, and whom she listens and confides to for inspiring words and friendly advices. Starting off with the woman dearest to Cham’s heart, representing the mother candle that will be a source of light for all the well-wishers for our dear Cham, here’s Mommy Cynthia Lagua!
- Helen Mozar- Tita from the Community
- Welinda Elorde – Cousin of my Dad ( Aunt)
- Joy Cator – Sister of my Dad ( Aunt)
- Allan Fernandez – Tito from the Community
- Fred Medina – Tito from the Community
- Mariza Jaugan- Tita (My mom’s kabarkada in college)
- Rod Aque- Tito from the community
- Francis Rizon- Tito from the community
- Roy Sazon- Tito from the community
- Joan Salaver – Tita from the community
- Marvin Caballero – Tito from the community
- Belen Quinsay – Tita (Mommy’s kabarkada in college)
- June Adriatico – Tito from the community
- Paul Garcia – Tito from the community
- Jun Lim – Tito from the community
- Nicol Fernandez – Tito from the community
- Melinda Lagua – Dad’s sister (Aunt)
- Malinda Lagua – Dad’s eldest sister ( Aunt )
HOST: Many ancient cultures believed that smoke carried their prayers to the heavens. So, at the count of three, Mommy Cynthia and members of the 18 Wishes, let’s say “May all our wishes come true” and blow our candles together. 1, 2, and 3…
Everybody blows the candle
HOST: Let me share another good-to-know trivia to everyone on how birthday cakes and candles came about as a tradition during birthdays. Some believe that the tradition of birthday candles began in Ancient Greece. Putting candles on a cake was a special way to pay tribute to the Greek moon goddess, Artemis. They baked round cakes to symbolize the moon. Candles were added to represent the reflected moonlight. Today’s tradition of making wishes before blowing out the birthday candles may have started with that belief. Enough of all those did-you-know trivia because at this part of the program, our lovely and stunning Cham will blow the candles on her birthday cake. And to complete that customary practice, let us all sing joyfully a song I am very sure everybody is familiar with, the happy birthday song!
Debutant makes a wish and blows the candles.
HOST: Tonight’s celebration tells me that the best demonstration of gratitude in response to a wonderful experience like this one can be contained in an overwhelming thank you. Maraming salamat po for making me a part of this memorable occasion. And if there’s one person here tonight who is more than grateful to see all of you, that would be our beloved celebrant, Cham. I’m giving the floor to our dear debutant to give her message for all of us.
Thank you message from Cham
HOST: The night is young, and so are we, diba? Are you ready to party? We have just actually started. Again, thank you for having me here to celebrate with all of you. Isang malakas na “Happy birthday, Cham! naman diyan. At the count of three…1, 2, 3, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHAM! Our debutant is not just a pretty face but also a very talented lady. To get the party started, throw your hands up in the air for CHAM with the City Lights Band! This is your host, John Irene Del Campo, enjoy the rest of the night everyone!
Cham opens the party by a song number with City Lights Band
Birthdays are wonderful occasions to celebrate one’s progress through life. Use these birthday prayers to bless, protect, and guide the birthday boy or girl on this special day.
A Birthday Blessing
Here is a nice prayer to say for someone who is celebrating their birthday. This blessing asks God to protect and guide the recipient through the coming year.
Renew My Strength
Heavenly Father, Please bless (name),
for today is (his/her) birthday.
Dear Lord, please protect and guide (name) as she
continues along the path youve chosen for her.
Give her the courage to follow in your light, and feel
your love wherever she goes.
Make her strong and give her the strength to make
good decisions in the coming year. Keep her free from
illness and sadness, for she is a truly good person who
deserves happiness and success in all aspects of life.
We know that life is like a book. With each new
chapter, we learn and grow towards what you would
have us be. Bless (name) now on this day, and in the future.
In your name we pray,
Birthday Prayers for Cards
Here are a couple birthday blessing poems that would be perfect for writing in a card, or posting on someones Facebook wall. They are sure to elicit a smile from the recipient:
May God Grant you Friendship
May God grant you friendship
and warm love within your home.
May he surround you in the quiet peace
that’s found in him alone.
May his hand lead you to laughter,
and his love dry every tear.
As you sense his presence in your life
more deeply every year.
Birthday Candle Prayer
Jesus said, “I am the light of the world”
May the birthday candles that represent the years of your life.
Be a reflection to others of your love for Christ.
I said a Prayer for You Today
I said a prayer for you today
And know God must have heard.
I felt the answer in my heart
Although he spoke no word!
I didn’t ask for wealth or fame
(I knew you wouldn’t mind).
I asked him to send treasures
Of a far more lasting kind!
I asked that he be near you
At the start of each new day;
To grant you health and blessings
And friends to share your way!
I asked for happiness for you
In all things great and small.
But it was for his loving care
I prayed the most of all!
Prayer to have a Happy Birthday Celebration
Here is a blessing to help ensure that one has a happy birthday celebration. Birthdays should be a time of happiness and merriment.
O God, Please ensure that (name)
has a happy and celebratory birthday.
I pray that (name) is surrounded by family
and friends as she marks the passing
of another year.
In your name I pray
Prayer for a Newborn Baby’s Birthday
Lets not forget the most important birthday of all. A baby’s first!
God bless this perfect little one,
Keep him safe and sound.
Bless his tiny hands and feet,
so he may conquer and defeat.
Brighten up his spiritual eyes,
so that he may undoubtedly become wise.
Bless his cute little mouth,
So your name he can shout.
But most of all bless his little mind,
to stay heavenly divine.
Oh! And don’t forget to bless his parents too
For the big job they got to do.
Read Birthday Bible Verses
“Why did I come out from the womb to see toil and sorrow, and spend my days in shame?”
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Birthday Prayers and Blessings”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Prayer for my younger brother- Today is my brother’s birthday. He is 35 today. I want to see him accomplished, living strong in good health, in love, married and raising… …
- Bless with Life to blessed others- Lord God, I thank you for the gift of life and love that you have given me and my family.. I continue Lord to pray… …
- Bless with Life to blessed others- Lord God, I thank you for the gift of life and love that you have given me and my family.. I continue Lord to pray… …
- Special- Please lord pray my 70 birthday party is great for Saturday night no rain and a blessed event it is outside given by my son… …
- Strength- Today is my 48th birthday and I can’t help but soul search. Please pray for strength in trusting the Lord to use my life his… …
- Birthday wish- I need a Birthday prayer for my nephew Steve, he turned 18, he needs prayer for wisdom & knowledge & how to use them in… …
- My daughter- My daughter; Gloria is 17years old today. Please pray along with me that she will have a divine encounter with the Lord. She will remain… …
- Favor from God- I need prayer for my nephew Steve who is turning 18. He needs prayer over his attitude & thoughts & mouth etc. He needs a… …
- Financial help- Lord Father, My birthday is approaching. I ask for your forgiveness and mercy. Please remove us from this present financial condition and let me beat… …
- Pray with me daily- Heavenly father. I ask for forgiveness of my sins. I ask for healing. When I am asleep I ask that I attend classes. Amen. …
- 12 Heart-Warming Birthday Prayers For Your Friends and Family- Image source: When you are facing an empty page you might catch yourself fixed on just what to write in a birthday card, making… …
- Me to have a closer and better relationship with God- Lord help me to be mindful of you every day and you being present in my life. To ask for forgiveness each day and to… …
- Long Life- Dear, Father God I Love you please keep ME safe always and please let ME make it to December to see many more birthdays on… …
- 75th Birthday- Thank you, God, for 75 years in your presence. I pray for many more in good health and sound mind so that I can serve… …
- Family and ministry- On this my birthday I thank God for keeping me 48 years. I pray for a passing grade in my seminary courses, for my son’s… …
- 29th Birthday Celebration- Please pray that my boyfriend Joey would get invited to my 29th birthday party at my Lowell home next May and be the best day… …
- Love- There’s evidence in the world. …
- Birthday Prayer of thanksgiving- Today marks the 21st year of my life. I thank the Lord for blessing and guiding me way back those years and for the incoming… …
- Prayer for Our Child- As our daughter turns 21 this month, we thank you for the greatest gift you have given us and ask you to fill her with… …
- Thank you Lord for the gift- Dear Lord Today is my 55th birthday. I am very much grateful Lord for all the blessings you have bestowed on me and my family.… …
More prayers posted in: Birthday