Prayers for overcoming addiction are scriptural based prayers designed to break the backbone of any addiction. If you are addicted to drugs, alcohol, cigarette, sex, gambling or something else and you are looking for a way out or maybe you are just searching for prayers to pray for a loved one who is addicted to one thing or the other, here is a list of prayers that you can pray while trusting in God to bring total deliverance.
Spiritually speaking, most of the things we call addictions today are actually the manifestation of demonic spirit of self-destruction. The demons of addiction enter into someone’s life because the person invited them in the name of pleasure. Perhaps that is the reason why it is usually difficult for the addicted to get out of their addiction. Whatever may be the situation, the name of Jesus is here to set you or your loved ones free.
Scripture Reading: Romans 7:22-25, Mark 5:2-15
Praise, Worship and Thanksgiving
Start by singing songs of praise unto the Lord if you know how to sing, if not go ahead and give thanks unto the Lord who is worthy to receive all glory and honour.
- Heavenly Father, I thank you for keeping me alive to this day.
- I thank you almighty God for what you are set to do as I pray about this addiction
- I thank you Jesus for your mercies and faithfulness.
- Everlasting father, I give you praise and honour.
Prayer against Addiction
- Almighty God, I come before you today, please forgive me of every sin of drug addiction, sex addiction, e.t.c, that I have committed against my body (1Corinthians 6:18, 1John 1:9) and against you in the name of Jesus.
- Everlasting father I surrender my life to you, please take total and absolute control of my life as from today in the name of Jesus.
- Father my body, soul and spirit I commit into your hand, please cleanse me with the blood of Jesus in the name of Jesus (1John 1:7).
- It is written, “call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee and thou shall glorify me” (Psalm 50:15). Father, deliver me from evil spirit of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. alcohol) that I have invited to my life in the name of Jesus.
- I renounce and reject every spirit of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. drug). Heavenly father uproot all form of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. drug) from my life in the name of Jesus (Matthew 15:13).
- Father, remove from me the heart of stone that is panting after (name your addiction e.g. drug) in the name of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26).
- Father, create in me a new heart and a new spirit that will be addicted to nothing but the word of God in the name of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26-27)
- Heavenly father, please fill me with the fullness of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus (Luke 11:13).
- Lord, as I make conscious effort to do without e.g. cigarette, please release to me the supernatural power to hate cigarette and never indulge in it again in the name of Jesus.
- Lord of Host, please deliver me from every spirit of self-destruction that pretend to be addiction in the name of Jesus.
- Heavenly Father, you have created me for your glory (Isaiah 43:7), please help me so that I can be use for your glory on this earth in the name of Jesus.
- Please note that the first step towards overcoming addiction is to let Christ dwell in you. The scripture says, in 2Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new”. Without Jesus Christ in your life, you may not be able to overcome that addiction. Here is an opportunity for you to surrender your life to Christ. Please say this short prayer of salvation so that Jesus Christ can begin to live in you.
- I recommend that these prayers be prayed loudly, fervently and consistently until there is a significant change in the life of the addict.
Thanks for reading.
Image by: freedigitalphotos.net
Generational curses are passed down and harm us. A curse is defined as something that will bring harm or trouble to someone. In the case of generational curses the delivery of the trouble comes from demonic spirits. Demons gain access into our lives through sin. Willful sin grants them a legal right to use the person who is committing these transgressions as a place to stay. Just like the vampire stories, they can’t enter your home unless they are invited in. That’s exactly what sin does. It gives place to the demons. Its an invitation. Once these demons are granted access they will cause that individual as much trouble and harm as they can until they die. But the demons and the curses they carry don’t die, they seek out a new home and this is were we get generational curses from. They will seek out every family member they can of the original host to gain access and have a new place to stay, christian or not.
18 ‘The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’ Number 14:18
Demonic influence in a father or mothers life is going to drastically effect the way the children behave. Generational curses are not passed down to the children because God is cruel, its because the parents are not living according to Gods will. It has even been proven scientifically that certain issues such as abuse and addiction are passed down from parents to children. When it comes to addictions some even believe its in the DNA but that is a secular, worldly point of view. The true cause is from the demonic spirits we wrestle with. When the demonic spirits are not dealt with they bring about a vicious cycle of destruction and despair into the lives they effect. Recently I was told about a very interesting situation from someone who dealt with an issue that shined a light on how generational curses are passed down.
Our ancestors sinned and are no more, and we bear their punishment. Lam 5:7
Prayer Long (Have person repeat after you)
Father,I forgive every one who has hurt me or harmed me. I come against any unclean and demonic spirit that has been loosed through willful sin or passed down through a generational curse. By the power of Jesus name, I call for the breaking of every bond from any curse. I call for the destruction of every stronghold and I command any evil spirit to leave and never return to me in the name of Jesus. I claim victory in Jesus name and for everyone of my family members lives. I renounce any vow or promise, vex or hex over my life and break any curse contrary to the will of God that my ancestors incurred or that has come down to me. I claim the freedom and victory at this moment that was won for me at the cross. In the place of were evil once stood, I pray Father that you would pour out every spiritual blessing on me. I am free, free in Jesus name! Amen!
Prayer Short (Have person repeat after you)
Father, I forgive every one who has hurt me or harmed me. I renounce any vow or promise, vex or hex over my life and break any curse contrary to the will of God that my ancestors incurred or that has come down to me, in Jesus name.
1 John 1:9; James 5:16; Romans 6:12-18; 1 Corinthians 6:9-20; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Galatians 5:16-23; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5; 2 Timothy 2:22; Hebrews 13:4
Heavenly Father, I thank You for the blessings that have come down to me from my ancestors on my father’s line and my mother’s line.
But I also acknowledge that as a result of their sinful beliefs and practices, they had also sinned against you in many ways.
Today I choose to forgive my ancestors for the consequences of their sexual sins that have affected me.
Please break the yoke and power of this generational curse of sexual sins off me.
Please forgive me too for my own sexual sins.
I know I am enslaved to these sins and that I am powerless to deliver myself.
I acknowledge that You can help me and that Jesus have already paid the debt for my sin.
All I need to do is claim it personally, for Jesus, had bore all of my sins, past, present and future when He died for me on the cross.
I accept the gift of grace offered to me through Jesus’ sacrificial death.
I thank You that You know everything about me. Help me to be completely truthful with You. I don’t need to hide any more.
If I confess my sins, You are faithful and just and will forgive my sins and purify me from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
Father, right now I choose to repent and renounce my sins of *(sexual lust / fornication / adultery / mental sexual fantasies and pleasure / pornography / masturbation / lasciviousness / sexual promiscuity / debauchery / sensuality / prostitution / homosexuality / lesbianism / voyeurism / degrading passions / …………………….. / ……………………… ).
* (Please pick only those that are relevant to you. You may add in those that are not found here).
Father, You sent Jesus to rescue me from this body of death!
I don’t have to be a prisoner to sin. This battle that rages over my body originates in my mind making me a slave to the sin that is still at work within me.
Right now, I surrender my mind to You.
Please cleanse my mind on the conscious, subconscious and unconscious levels.
Jesus, please Lord over my mind, my thought patterns and attitudes.
You have searched me and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways (Psalm 139:1-3).
Come and dwell in me, Lord, by Your Holy Spirit, and set me free to live in Your resurrection life.
Please break the control and manipulation of sexual thoughts and images over my mind, body and sexuality.
Please forgive me and set me free from all consequences of my sins.
Please cleanse me of all defilement of spirit, mind, will, emotions and body.
Cleanse my eyes, ears, hands and sexual organs too.
In Jesus’ name, Father, lift off me all sexual spirits of lust.
The reason Jesus appeared was to destroy the devil’s work (1 John 3:7-8).
Lord, I have been a willing party to the devil’s work. Thank You that You appeared on this earth to die and be raised again to destroy his work.
Please destroy the works the devil has accomplished in me and through me. Set me apart for Your work from now on.
According to Your Word, no one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him (1 John 3:9).
Please help me to understand and admit that I cannot simply go on and on indefinitely in my sin and claim to belong to You.
I acknowledge to You that my body was not meant for sexual immorality, but for You, Lord.
You were meant to take authority over this body and bring it sanctification and meaning.
I know that my body is a member of Christ Himself.
I shall not then take the members of Christ and unite them in ungodly sexual relationships, whether real or virtual (1 Cor 6:13-15).
I renounce the use of my body as an instrument of unrighteousness and by so doing, ask You to break the sexual stronghold that the devil has brought into my life.
Please help me to exercise godly control over my sexual urges.
I have simply misused my body. Please cleanse it for Your use.
I present my body to You as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to You and I choose to reserve the sexual use of my body only with my spouse.
In Jesus’ name, I renounce the lie of the devil that my body is not clean.
Father, I thank You that You have totally cleansed me unconditionally.
Jesus please Lord over my body and my bodily appetites, my sexuality and sexual expressions.
Therefore, I can now accept myself. And I choose to accept myself and my body as cleansed, in Jesus’ name.
I know that my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in me, whom I have received from You. I am not my own; I was bought at a price. Therefore please help me to honour You with my body (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
Since I have been raised with Christ, help me to set my heart on things above, where Christ is seated at Your right hand, not on earthly things (Colossians 3:1).
Please take my passions and redirect them first toward You. Be the chief focus of all my passions and create a new heart within me.
In Jesus’ name. Amen!