There are few things I long for more than deep roots.
Thick, sprawling roots that plunge ever deeper into my Savior’s love.
Ever further into grace.
Ever stronger into faith.
Ever more securely into the knowledge of Him.
I foolishly used to think spiritual maturity was primarily a function of time. “If you’re a Christian long enough, you eventually become godly.”
But while time is certainly a factor, it’s far from the most important one. Some people who have claimed the name of Christ for decades are no more than spiritual infants. Others, though, grab onto Him and hold on for dear life, growing leaps and bounds in a fairly short amount of time.
So how do we become godly?
In a word: grace.
The same grace that saves us sanctifies us. It’s what gives us the desire and the ability to seek His kingdom and His righteousness. To acquire a knowledge of Him. To emulate His example and to live His life instead of our own.
So let’s ask Him for that grace. Join me in praying the Scriptures, sharing with God our desire to grow, and begging Him for the grace to do so.
Prayers for Spiritual Growth
Ask the Lord to fill you with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God (Colossians 1:9-10).
Pray that you, speaking the truth in love, would grow up in every way into Christ who is the head of the Body, and that He would make the entire Body grow so that it builds itself up in love (Ephesians 4:16-17).
Ask God to help you be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, but would grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:17-18).
Acknowledge to the Lord that all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that you may be competent, equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Ask Him to give you a love for His Word, and a desire to meditate on it all day long (Psalm 119:97).
Claim God’s promised blessing upon your life as you refuse to walk in the counsel of the wicked, to stand in the way of sinners, or to sit in the seat of scoffers. Share with the Lord that you delight in His law; ask Him to help you meditate on it day and night so that you may be like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, with leaves that don’t wither. Ask that in all that you do, you will prosper and flourish (Psalm 1:1-3).
Praise our great God for His divine power which has granted to you all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called you to His own glory and excellence. Thank Him for granting to you His precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. Ask that His grace would empower you to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. Remind the Lord of His truth that if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 1:3-8).
Pray that God would help you to count it all joy when you meet trials of various kinds, knowing that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. Ask that the Lord would let your steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing (James 1:2-4).
Marvel over the truth that you have been crucified with Christ. Acknowledge to God that It is no longer you who live, but Christ who lives in you. Ask that He would help you remember that the life you now live in the flesh you live by faith in the Son of God, who loved you and gave Himself for you. Pray that He would keep His grace ever before you, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose (Galatians 2:20-21). Implore the Lord to keep you from trying to muster up spiritual growth on your own, but to hold you always in the grasp of grace.
Dear Heavenly Father, Your grace amazes me. I pray that I never get over the wonder of it. Thank You that even as I grow my whole life long, I can never outgrow Your grace. I pray that You transform me into Your image with ever-increasing glory, until the day when my growth is complete and I finally see You face-to-face. It’s in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, that I pray. Amen.
Want more information about how to pray when you’re not sure how to pray? You’ll be blessed by my friend Dawn’s post.
I’ve found a biblical method that has helped me make great progress in setting goals and achieving them. I’d love to share it with you! Click here for more information.
John 3:30. For all believers who desire meaningful spiritual growth in their walk with God. There is no height you cannot attain in the spirit if only you are ready to take the bull by the horn; do away with every form of hindrance and follow the principles of spiritual growth laid down in God’s word. Hebrews 5:12: “For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk and not of strong meat.” Jesus expects each believer to grow to the level where he can teach others. In many of the Epistles, the believer is encouraged to grow in grace and in the knowledge of Christ (2 Peter 3:18). When a believer refuses to grow, he remains a spiritual babe who is unskillful in the WORD. Such baby Christians need milk and not strong meat. When we as believers, begin to apply the truth we know in our lives, we will begin to grow and our knowledge of Christ will also increase. Paul encourages the believer to be “rooted and built up in Him” (Col. 2:7). As believers, we draw our nutrients from Him, i.e. Jesus Christ. As you pray these prayer points for spiritual growth, the Holy Spirit will draw you into a deeper and fulfilling relationship with Christ.
Scriptures for meditation: Phil. 3:10,14:
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; . . . I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Confessions: Make these confessions to establish your identity in Christ Jesus
- I am not what the world thinks or says I am. I am not what the devil or the kingdom of darkness says, imagines or has designed me to be.
- I am not the picture of what my idolaterous forefathers wished I should be.
- I am not what the unregenerate mind of any friend thinks I am.
- I am not what my father and mother think or want me to be.
- I am not what my village wickedness, household wickedness and environmental wickedness want me to be.
- I am not a picture of what the national economy and institutionalised wickedness has restructured the people to be.
- I am not what I think I am.
- I am what the Word of God says I am.
- I am an express image of Jehovah God on earth.
- I am fashioned after the likeness of the Creator of the heaven and earth.
- I am regenerated by the blood of Jesus.
- I am ransomed from the powers of death and hell.
- I am blood washed.
- I am redeemed.
- I am justified by Christ.
- I am made to be the righteousness of God through Christ.
- I am a believer of the Word of Truth.
- I am born again.
- I am heaven-bound; my citizenship is in heaven.
- I am seated with Christ in heavenly places far above principality and powers.
- I am a priest and a king ordained by Christ to rule here on earth.
- I am the fear and the dread of God against the kingdom of darkness.
- I am a dwelling place of the Holy Spirit of God.
- I am built up together and attached with other children of God into a holy habitation of God. The word of God says, I am a royal priesthood, I am a holy nation, I am a chosen generation, and a peculiar person to the nation.
- I am special in the sight of God.
- The Bible says because I believe and receive Jesus Christ, power has been given to me to become a son of God, and I am empowered to trample upon serpents and scorpions and all the powers of the enemy.
- I am empowered to use the name of Jesus to cast out demons and heal the sick.
- I am empowered to bind, to loose and to decree things and the Bible says wherever my voice is heard no one can ask me why.
- I do these things for my voice is the voice of a king that is full of authority.
- I am commanded and empowered by my God to subdue and to exercise dominion. For I am made a little lower than the angels and God has crowned me with glory and honour and has also made me to have dominion over all the works of His hands.
- The devil that was against my authority as a God’s representative on earth has been destroyed by Christ and once again; the keys of the kingdom of heaven are given to me and because I am a member of the body of Christ, which is the Church, the gates of hell cannot prevail against me.
- I am a branch in the vine; Jesus Christ is the true vine because I abide in Him.
- I am full of the fruit of the Spirit.
- I am full of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
- Because the grace of God is upon my life as the light of His glory, I am full of divine favour; I am a partaker of all heaven’s spiritual blessings.
- I am an overcomer; the Bible says whosoever is born of God overcomes the world, and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even my faith.
- In faith I overcome ungodly worry, anxiety, heaviness of spirit, sorrow, depression, lust of the eyes and lust of the flesh.
- In faith I have overcome all the tricks of the devil, for it is written, greater is Jesus Christ that dwells in me than the devil that is in the world.
- No weapon that is formed against me shall prosper.
- In righteousness I am established; I am far from oppression, for I shall not fear and from terror for it shall not come near me.
- The Lord shall cover me with His feathers, because I have made Him my dwelling place.
- Evil shall not befall me; I shall tread upon the Lion and the Cobra and surely the Lord will always deliver me from the snare of the fowlers. God has made me a beneficiary of divine health through the stripes that were laid on Jesus Christ.
- Through Jesus Christ I have right standing with God.
- Through Jesus Christ I have access to the throne grace of God, to find peace with God.
- I have prosperity for God will no longer withhold any good thing from me.
- I have spoken with the tongue of the learned and as it is written, I shall be justified by the words of my mouth.
- I ask that the word of God I have confessed begin to transform me to the original image God designed me to be in His book.
- I ask that the blood of Jesus wipe away every mark of reproach whether physical or spiritual.
- I ask for the blood of Jesus to erase every evil and negative name I was ever called.
- I nullify every negative report ever made about me.
- I cease to be a picture of failure. I cease to be abased, rejected, forsaken, desolate and downcast.
- I begin to manifest expressly every good thing God has written about me in book.
- I begin to look fearfully and wonderfully made.
- I begin to operate at the head and not the tail. I begin to be a true worshiper of Jehovah El shaddai and I begin from now to continually praise Him and confess positively.
Yahweh, Creator of the universe, You are the most divine, exceptional, magnificent, and excellent in all the earth. I adore You, oh Jehovah Nissi. You reign in victory, none can compare.
I bow down before Your throne of grace and mercy, leaving my sins at the foot of the cross. Empower me with inner strength through Your Holy Presence. Your love is most precious to me, for it endures forever.
2 Thessalonians 1:3 – We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other.
Ephesians 1:17-18 – that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints.
Deeply rooted in love
Adonai, fill me with life and power to overcome the darkness. Work from within so that I can portray You in all that I do. Precious King, You are love in its purest form. I pray that I will be rooted DEEP in the foundations of Your love.
May You encamp within my heart so that it is filled with You and You alone, for I want to know You more and more. For He that is in me is greater than He that is in the world.
2 Corinthians 13:9 – For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. And this also we pray, that you may be made complete.
Philippians 1:9-10 – And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, 10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ.
Precious King, I pray that I will be rooted DEEP in the foundations of Your love. Click To Tweet
The fruits of righteousness
Allow me to be consumed by Your spiritual fire that burns so bright. Allow the fruits of righteousness to intercept my life, as You protect me from the evil one.
I give myself away and surrender my all as I withhold nothing. Because I desire to grow spiritually and to have a greater relationship with You.
I am nothing without You. Hence why I need You every minute, every hour, Oh Lord. Touch my heart and my life today, as I yearn for You my Savior. In JESUS’ most precious name I pray, Amen!
Touch my heart and my life today as I yearn for You my Savior. Click To Tweet
Colossians 1:9-12 – For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy;
12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.
I’m a young Christian, from South Trinidad, seeking the wisdom of the Word and God’s blessings on my life. A journey, that’s just begun, but living to the Glory of God.
Pray For Spiritual Growth – Prayer is crucial and a very important step in Spiritual Growth. Daily prayer has many benefits, not only for your spirit. But also for your mind and emotional state. It is a great way to find your faith in God. Prayer increases your courage to face the life given to you by God. It teaches you to be grateful for what you have. But there are 3 main reasons Pray For Spiritual Growth.
3 Reasons To Pray For Spiritual Growth
1. Daily Prayer Connects You To God
Prayer is the only way to communicate with God. It is the purest and most graceful way to re-connect with God. It is a powerful way to find that faithful connection between your spirit and its Creator. Prayer is not only a demand for help. It is also a way to thank God for his blessings. Therefore, pray daily, not only when you are in a difficult situation. But also when you are grateful.
2. Daily Prayer Maintains Your Connection With God
Prayer is crucial in your relationship with God. If you didn’t pray until now, then start it today. And continue to pray everyday, so you will not loose again this beautiful connection between you and God. The Lord is waiting for you to re-connect with him. And he is waiting for your prayer everyday. If you have questions or you need guidance on your path to Spiritual Growth, then pray to God. Ask him for guidance.
Pray For Spiritual Growth
3. Daily Prayer Purifies Your Spirit
Prayer is the best way to cleanse your spirit. It works like a holistic detox. Prayer purifies your mind, emotions and spirit. Therefore, pray when you feel overwhelmed by negative and destructive thoughts. Ask God to help you get rid of those thoughts. Also, when you feel fear, anxiety, depression or other negative emotion. Pray for God’s help. He will bring you to emotional healing. A purified mind, emotional state and spirit are necessary for spiritual growth.
In conclusion, saying a Pray For Spiritual Growth everyday have the best benefits for spiritual evolution. It helps you get closer to God. Prayer helps you to show him your gratitude for His blessings. And Pray For Spiritual Growth lets The Lord know that you are feeling ready to live a life that circles around Him.