Is your heart heavy over a sick friend or family member? Do you wish you could do something to help? You can lift your friend or family member to the Lord in prayer. Here is a Bible verse and a prayer to help you ask God for healing.
“And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”
James 5:15-16 (NIV)
“And their prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make them well. And anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results.”
James 5:15-16 (NLT)
Prayer for a Sick FriendDear Lord,
You know my friend/family member so much better than I do. You know his/her sickness and the burden he carries. You also know his heart. Lord, I ask you to be with my friend now as you work in his life. Lord, let your will be done in my friend’s life. If there is a sin that needs to be confessed and forgiven, please help him to see his need and confess.
Lord, I pray for my friend just as your Word tells me to pray, for healing. I believe you hear this earnest prayer from my heart and that it is powerful because of your promise. I have faith in you, Lord, to heal my friend, but I also trust in the plan you have for his life.
Lord, I don’t always understand your ways. I don’t know why my friend has to suffer, but I trust you. I ask that you look with mercy and grace toward my friend. Nourish his spirit and soul in this time of suffering and comfort him with your presence.
Let my friend know you are there with him through this difficulty. Give him strength. And may you, through this difficulty, be glorified in his life and also in mine.
Healing PrayerJesus said many healing prayers, miraculously curing the sick when he walked this earth. Today he continues to pour out his healing balm. Is there someone in your life in need of God’s touch? You can lift them up with this healing prayer. Turn to the Great Physician, the Lord Jesus Christ.
The LORD sustains them on their sickbed and restores them from their bed of illness. (NIV)
Dear Lord of Mercy and Father of Comfort,
You are the One I turn to for help in moments of weakness and times of need. I ask you to be with your servant in this illness. Psalm 107:20 says that you send out your Word and heal. So then, please send your healing Word to your servant. In the name of Jesus, drive out all infirmity and sickness from his body.
Dear Lord, I ask you to turn this weakness into strength, suffering into compassion, sorrow into joy, and pain into comfort for others. May your servant trust in your goodness and hope in your faithfulness, even in the middle of this suffering. Let him be filled with patience and joy in your presence as he waits for your healing touch.
Please restore your servant to full health, dear Father. Remove all fear and doubt from his heart by the power of your Holy Spirit, and may you, Lord, be glorified through his life.
As you heal and renew your servant, Lord, may he bless and praise you.
All of this I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.
This summer illness took two of my dear friends away. In both cases, we were grateful their suffering was over and they were finally and fully healed in heaven. But I’m feeling their absence. They were two of my greatest prayer warriors, and as I enter into some changes in my life, I feel the loss of their ministry of prayer.
As my friends battled frailties in their bodies, one of the last and best ways I could care for them was to pray for them. At the times when I didn’t know how to pray, God’s word gave me the words to pray, and His Spirit interceded for me.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. (Romans 8:26)
When loved ones face illnesses, long or short, we can tap into the power of prayer on their behalf. It reminds us that our Heavenly Father is all-powerful and cares about all of our burdens, and it impacts the lives of our dear friends and family. I’ve been blessed by people who have prayed for me during this summer of mono. Today I’m grateful for the healing both of my friends have found in their heavenly home, and I hope to carry on their legacy as a woman of prayer.
Download your printable copy of 10 Bible Verses to Pray for Sick Friends to use on behalf of your loved ones.
But those who wait for the Lord shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up as eagles ; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired. (Isaiah 41:31-AMP*)
Help my friend to wait on You, Lord, with the hope of renewal of strength, the ability to run and not be weary, and the promise to never again feel faint or tired.
- Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (Psalm 27:14)
- Give my loved one a heart of courage to wait on You in strength.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” (Lamentations 3:24)
O, Lord, give hope in You, down deep in my dear one’s soul, and satisfy her with You as her portion.
- But I call to God, and the LORD will save me. (Psalm 55:16)
- It’s hard to keep calling, O Lord, but would you inspire us to keep calling on You for salvation?
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (James 5:16)
Keep us from any sin that would weigh us down and drain our health and faith. We ask for healing, because we know our prayers have great power to work.
- A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. (Proverbs 17:22)
- Would You give my dear one a joyful heart and use it as medicine to strengthen the physical body? There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin.
For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me. (Psalm 38:3-4)
Remove our sins far from us, O Lord, and take away any heaviness or oppression from offenses we carry. Restore health and soundness of flesh to the body of my loved one.
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- We want to experience Your peace, O God, though we don’t understand it. We need it to guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus and shield us from being anxious about anything.
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
You are able to supply every need, my God, and Your riches are more than adequate.
- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- You are the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, so would you comfort us and help us comfort others who are suffering? We bless You for meeting us in our deepest affliction.