The Bible is a major source of strength, inspiration, and encouragement for many, not just the Bible, but the word of God that is embedded in it. It can give strength to the weak, and restore healing to the sick. The issue most times is that many people don’t know the efficacy of the Bible. They just see it as a mere book that they consult once after a long time (that is if they do at all), but the truth still remains that the word of God carries the solution to all of life’s problems. Here is a list of some Bible verses about strength.
- 1 Inspirational Bible Verses About Strength
- 2 Famous Bible Verses About Strength
- 3 Bible Verses About Strength and Hope
- 4 Bible Verses About Strength in Hard Times
- 5 Short Bible Verses About Strength
- 6 Bible Verses About Strength and Faith
- 7 Bible Verses About Strength And Love
- 8 Count it all joy in trials and hard times!
- 9 God’s Word gives courage
Inspirational Bible Verses About Strength
1. Psalm 16:8 – I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
2. Psalm 55:22 – Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
3. 1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
4. Isaiah 41:10 – Fear thou not; for I with thee: be not dismayed; for I thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
5. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 – And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
6. Matthew 11:28 – Come unto me, all that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
7. Psalms 39:7 – And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope in thee.
8. Nehemiah 8:10 – Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for day holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
9. Mark 12:30 – And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this the first commandment.
10. Daniel 10:19 – And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.
11. Isaiah 40:21-30 – Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
12. Isaiah 40:1-31 – Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
13. Exodus 13:14 – And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the LORD brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage:
14. Hebrews 13:4 – Marriage honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
15. Ephesians 6:10 – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
16. Romans 5:6 – For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
17. Acts 13:1-3 – Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
18. John 5:8 – Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.
19. John 18:1-40 – When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered, and his disciples.
100+ Most Famous Bible Verses
Over 150 Best Bible Verses Bible Verses of the Day
20. John 5:11 – He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.
21. Luke 10:27 – And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
22. Luke 1:51 – He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
24. Matthew 5:13 – Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
25. Proverbs 8:14 – Counsel mine, and sound wisdom: I understanding; I have strength.
26. Psalms 81:1 – (To the chief Musician upon Gittith, of Asaph.) Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.
27. Psalms 27:1 – ( of David.) The LORD my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
28. Psalms 19:14 – Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
29. Psalms 18:2 – The LORD my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower.
30. Job 21:23 – One dieth in his full strength, being wholly at ease and quiet.
31. Jeremiah 17:5 – Thus saith the LORD; Cursed the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.
32. Jeremiah 12:5 – If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and in the land of peace, thou trustedst, , then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?
33. Isaiah 43:1-28 – But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called by thy name; thou mine.
34. Proverbs 21:22 – A wise scaleth the city of the mighty, and casteth down the strength of the confidence thereof.
35. Psalms 46:1 – (To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.) God our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Famous Bible Verses About Strength
36. Lamentations 1:14 – The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand: they are wreathed, come up upon my neck: he hath made my strength to fall, the Lord hath delivered me into hands, I am not able to rise up.
37. Lamentations 1:11 – All her people sigh, they seek bread; they have given their pleasant things for meat to relieve the soul: see, O LORD, and consider; for I am become vile.
38. Isaiah 10:13 – For he saith, By the strength of my hand I have done , and by my wisdom; for I am prudent: and I have removed the bounds of the people, and have robbed their treasures, and I have put down the inhabitants like a valiant :
39. Isaiah 1:1-31 – The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
40. Lamentations 1:14 – The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand: they are wreathed, come up upon my neck: he hath made my strength to fall, the Lord hath delivered me into hands, I am not able to rise up.
41. Lamentations 1:11 – All her people sigh, they seek bread; they have given their pleasant things for meat to relieve the soul: see, O LORD, and consider; for I am become vile.
42. Isaiah 10:13 – For he saith, By the strength of my hand I have done , and by my wisdom; for I am prudent: and I have removed the bounds of the people, and have robbed their treasures, and I have put down the inhabitants like a valiant :
43. Isaiah 1:1-31 – The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
44. Job 12:16 – With him strength and wisdom: the deceived and the deceiver his.
45. Ephesians 1:19 – And what the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
46. 1 Corinthians 1:8 – Who shall also confirm you unto the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
47. Acts 3:7 – And he took him by the right hand, and lifted up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
48. John 5:9 – And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
49. Zechariah 1:18 – Then lifted I up mine eyes, and saw, and behold four horns.
50. Luke 10:19 – Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
51. Matthew 26:52-54 – Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
52. Habakkuk 3:16-19 – When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.
53. Nahum 1:12 – Thus saith the LORD; Though quiet, and likewise many, yet thus shall they be cut down, when he shall pass through. Though I have afflicted thee, I will afflict thee no more.
54. Lamentations 1:6 – And from the daughter of Zion all her beauty is departed: her princes are become like harts find no pasture, and they are gone without strength before the pursuer.
55. 1 Peter 4:11 – If any man speak, as the oracles of God; if any man minister, as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
56. Jeremiah 1:18 – For, behold, I have made thee this day a defenced city, and an iron pillar, and brasen walls against the whole land, against the kings of Judah, against the princes thereof, against the priests thereof, and against the people of the land.
57. Proverbs 4:18 – But the path of the just as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
58. Joshua 1:9 – Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God with thee whithersoever thou goest.
59. James 1:27 – Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Bible Verses About Strength and Hope
60. 1 Timothy 1:12 – And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
61. 2 Corinthians 12:9 – And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
62. Acts 9:19 – And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.
63. Acts 6:8 – And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.
64. Psalms 23:1-4 – (A Psalm of David.) The LORD my shepherd; I shall not want.
65. Nehemiah 1:10 – Now these thy servants and thy people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power, and by thy strong hand.
66. 2 Kings 18:20 – Thou sayest, (but vain words,) counsel and strength for the war. Now on whom dost thou trust, that thou rebellest against me?
67. 1 Samuel 2:9 – He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.
68. 1 Samuel 2:4 – The bows of the mighty men broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength.
69. 1 Corinthians 16:13 – Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
70. Romans 8:28 – And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to purpose.
71. James 5:16 – Confess faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
72. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
73. 1 Timothy 5:8 – But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
74. Daniel 10:19 – “Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed,” he said. “Peace! Be strong now; be strong.” When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength.” (NIV)
75. Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Bible Verses About Strength in Hard Times
76. Deuteronomy 31:6 – Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
77. Deuteronomy 20:4 – For the LORD your God he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.
78. 1 Corinthians 10:13 – There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear .
79. Job 13:15 Though he slays me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face.
80. Romans 5:5 – And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
81. Psalm 27:1 – The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
82. Matthew 17:20 – He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”
83. Mark 10:52 – And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.
84. Isaiah 41:10 – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
85. John 14:27 – Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
86. John 16:33 – “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
87. Psalm 46:1-3 – God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah!
88. 2 Timothy 1:7 – For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
89. Judges 16:17 – That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I a Nazarite unto God from my mother’s womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any man.
90. Genesis 2:24 – Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Short Bible Verses About Strength
91. Revelation 12:10 – And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
92. Revelation 1:16 – And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance as the sun shineth in his strength.
93. 2 Peter 3:18 – But grow in grace, and the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him glory both now and forever. Amen.
94. Daniel 11:15 – So the king of the north shall come, and cast up a mount, and take the most fenced cities: and the arms of the south shall not withstand, neither his chosen people, neither strength to withstand.
95. Daniel 10:18 – Then there came again and touched me like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,
96. Daniel 10:16 – And, behold, like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.
97. Job 12:13 – With him wisdom and strength, he hath counsel and understanding.
98. Job 2:13 – So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that grief was very great.
99. Matthew 21:21 And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith anddo not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen.
100. Deuteronomy 31:6 – Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
101. John 16:33 – I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
102. Psalm 23:4 – Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
103. Psalm 28:7 – The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
104. Psalm 29:11 – The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.
105. Psalm 59:17 – You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely.
106. Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
107. Psalms 66:1-20 – (To the chief Musician, A Song Psalm.) Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: (Read More…)
108. Revelation 7:12 – Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, unto our God forever and ever. Amen.
109. Hebrews 6:18 – That by two immutable things, in which impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
110. Philippians 1:28 – And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.
111. Nahum 1:7 – The LORD good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.
112. Isaiah 12:2 – Behold, God my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH my strength and song; he also is become my salvation.
113. Hebrews 3:1-19 – Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; (Read More…)
114. Habakkuk 1:11 – Then shall mind change, and he shall pass over, and offend, this his power unto his god.
115. Jeremiah 9:23 – Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty glory in his might, let not the rich glory in his riches:
116. Psalms 18:1 – (To the chief Musician, of David, the servant of the LORD, who spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul: And he said,) I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
117. 1 Samuel 2:10 – The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.
118. Matthew 5:1-48 – And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: (Read More…)
119. Hosea 7:9 – Strangers have devoured his strength, and he knoweth not: yea, gray hairs are here and there upon him, yet he knoweth not.
120. Matthew 6:33 – But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Bible Verses About Strength and Faith
121. Psalms 31:24 – Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
122. Ecclesiastes 4:9-13 – Two better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. (Read More…)
123. Isaiah 40:31 – But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint.
124. Isaiah 26:3 – You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.
125. Psalm 118:14-16 – The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: “The LORD’s right hand has done mighty things! The LORD’s right hand is lifted high; the LORD’s right hand has done mighty things!”
Is this Life real of Just an Illusion
Over 100 Bible verses for Encouragement
126. Psalm 119:114-115 – You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!
127. Psalm 119:71 – It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.
128. Psalm 120:1 – I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me.
Bible Verses About Strength And Love
129. Ephesians 5:25 – Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
130. Ephesians 5:33 – However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
131. Colossians 3:14 – And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
132. Proverbs 10:12 – Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
133. Proverbs 17:17 – A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
134. Romans 13:10 – Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
135. 1 Corinthians 13:13 – And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
136. Ephesians 4:2 – Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
137. 1 John 4:8 – Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
138. John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
139. Psalm 18:1 – I love you, O LORD, my strength.
140. Matthew 22:27-29 – Finally, the woman died. Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?” Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.
Updated on January 12, 2019
Bible Verses About Strength
Lately, I have been experiencing some very hard times in my life. It’s as though God has either forgotten about me, or He does not care anymore. It’s difficult being a young pastor with a young family. Bills usually come thick and fast, dealing with church matters is demanding and time-consuming even though it’s rewarding, and to conclude it, a family that expects my fullest attention, to be honest, it all feels overwhelming.
I have been trying my best to stay focus and keep my eyes on God, but even doing that is proving quite a task. It seems with every passing day I am getting weaker and weaker—nothing I do seems to work.
Being a pastor and believer of God. I have found myself in a dilemma. Should I give up and accept anything that comes my way, or should I continue to look to God for His deliverance?
It might surprise you, but it took a lot of encouragement from others, prayers, and a touch from God to choose the latter. You might think it strange of me being a pastor needed that much help to decide on the obvious, but it’s not until you are in such position that you see how weak and helpless you really are.
Everything hasn’t quite worked out yet, but two days ago God favored me with a financial need I was worrying about. And yesterday, the Lord intervened in two stressful situations that were causing me great pain. I do not have it all well put together, but I am seeing some encouraging signs.
In hard times, the devil has a way of drawing our focus on things that are going wrong in our lives. The devil is a master at work in his quest to frustrate us; he relentlessly attacks us in our vulnerable areas with the intent to frustrate us so that in the end we abandon our dreams and aspirations and even give up on God.
But I thank God that the devil failed in his plans to rob me of my hope and confidence in God, with the help of God, the scriptures, my family and friends, I was able to renew my mind and refresh my strength in God.
My season of hardship did not get the better of me, the scriptures above all helped me. And the good news is—the scriptures can help you too, it does not matter how bleak your circumstances may look right now—God has not forgotten you, and He surely cares about you. You might be struggling to catch a break, but God has something awesome in store for you.
So with that in mind, allow theses 8 bible verses about strength to ignite your soul with faith and hope, and empower your spirit with strength.
Isaiah 40:29-31 “He giveth power to the faint, and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint.”
Where does our strength come from? Our strength comes from the Lord. And the Lord is waiting to give strength to those who need it. But this strength does not come easy, it’s not just waiting on a plater for anyone that passes by. To get God‘s strength requires a total commitment of our will. Are we willing to surrender all of our lives to Him? Are we willing to commit everything that we are and desire to become into His hands? If our answers are yes to these questions, then we are ready to receive God‘s strength.
This passage of scripture starts by saying “God gives strength to the weak.” At some point, we all will experience some kind of weakness, especially when times are hard. But thankfully, God gives strength to the weak. When life pulls us down, God lifts us up. The fittest of the fit without God will fail, and the strongest of the strong without God will faint, but the weakest of the weak with God will overcome any difficulty and succeed in anything, but the key to this success is patience.
“But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint,” (Isaiah 40:31)
Patience is a grace we should all posses, without it, we are fighting a losing battle with hardships. According to this verse, God gives strength to those who wait on Him. Those who wait for God’s deliverance will be rewarded with favors of every kind. When we choose to wait on God, we will fly as high as we desire to, we will run as fast as we want to, and we can dream as much as we are able to—God will give us the strength and grace to achieve it all.
Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
Riding out our storms while waiting on God will not be an easy task, but that’s where this verse comes in. While waiting on God, we are like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego—three Hebrew boys who refused the king’s decree to bow to his idol. They knew that by refusing to bow to the king’s idol had deadly consequences, but they nevertheless refused. They confessed faith in God and acknowledged that God will deliver them, but if not, so be it, they were ready to die.
But thanks be to God who did not allow them to die. They were thrown bound into the fiery furnace. The furnace was then turned up ten times more than normal. Without God, these three young men didn’t stand a chance of surviving the furnace’s heat. But God did not abandon them, He sheltered them amid the fiery furnace.
The reality of this story is that our decision to wait on God will attract severe trials and hardships.
But interpreting this verse helps us to understand that God is our refuge. And a refuge is a place that provides protection from danger or distress.
God is our hiding place in difficult times. And just as He protected those three Hebrews boys who waited on Him—so likewise he will do for us.
When life throws its best punch to knock us out—God is our refuge.
Proverbs 18:10 “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.”
Similar to a refuge, a tower speaks of protection from danger. But it does not stop at protection only, it also speaks of elevation and strength. Unlike psalm 46:1, in this verse, we aren’t on the defense running for shelter from the devil’s attack, but rather, we are on the offensive line confronting our fears and troubles.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower, no device of the devil and man is able to penetrate the tower of God. God stands by His name, and His name is our strong tower.
Don’t give up, don’t be overwhelmed by your difficult circumstances, but rather confess faith in God, and begin to declare the promises of His word over your life and over anything that you desire to see change.
Don’t draw back, it’s your time to shine and push back every negative situation that has been working against you.
Habakkuk 3:19 “The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me walk upon mine high places.”
Is there anyone or anything greater that our God? No, in this verse the psalmist declares that God is ruler over all—He is seated in the seat of power and control.
When hard times hit, we are always in need of the grace of strength to trust and wait on God. And thankfully, we don‘t have to look far because God is clothed with strength and deck with majesty. So when life “packs a mean punch” to knock you out—God is your strength.
Not only will God strengthen you, but He will also bless you with stability and stamina to do things others are afraid to do, and to conquer mountains others only dear to conquer.
Corinthians 12:9-10 “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
Our weaknesses and experiences of hardships do not mean we are failures. But rather, our weaknesses and hardships are stepping stones for greatness.
Before we can scale any mountain—we must first walk the lonely valleys, we must first experience the relentless snow of winter before we inhale the warm fresh breeze of spring.
Hardships, in general, are meant to push us back, but God will use our hardships to push us ahead. And in these verses, Paul shares similar views. Instead of being depressed and frustrated by his challenges—he embraces them as an opportunity to see God power manifest in his life.
We can learn from Paul and apply the same principle to our lives, it wouldn’t hurt to try. Our hardships are opportunities to prove God.
Psalm 23:4 “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”
When our vision of life gets dark and our path in life seems uncertain—even then we can still trust God. Uncertain times in life is one if not, the most frustrating time in our lives. Not knowing what’s around the corner, not knowing what may happen next is sometimes too much to bear. But this verse has been a source of strength and comfort to me, it reveals that even in our most unstable and uncertain moments God is with us. At times we may not feel as though God is with us, but He is there—in our most unbearable moments.
You are not walking this lonely and dark valley alone, God is with you, and every step of the way He will comfort you.
Psalm 73:26 “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”
The key to getting through hard times is by not putting our confidence in ourselves. At times we are tempted to believe we have everything under control, but according to this verse—our strength and understanding will fail. As human beings, we are limited in our strength and understanding of life, and there are challenges we may never overcome—even though we give it our best shot.
But with God’s strength and grace, we are more than conquerors, there is no trial too hard to endure, and mountain too steep to climb.
1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
It’s always good to know that someone else has experienced and overcome the hard times we face. It’s a good practice to talk to and learn from others who have encountered tough times. Learn from them, study their success and when possible apply their principles. Of course, we must be guided by the Holy Spirit, but it’s God will. By learning from others, we will find that some trials we struggle with are quite easy to overcome if we apply the principles from others’ success. Don’t listen to the devil, he will try his to get you isolated, and then fill your mind with his lies.
There is always a way out of our testings, but we must know where to look, a clue—just learn from others with the help of the Holy Spirit.
© 2018 Dexter Whinfield
Count it all joy in trials and hard times!
In the letter of James 1:2-4 it’s written that we should: “… count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”
How can we count it joy in hard times? What makes it possible to remain in faith when we are experiencing that trials are hard to bear? It is these encouraging promises that can only be found in the Word of God which give us courage and strengthen our faith. If we truly believe in these Bible verses we will always have strength in hard times, and our hope will never fail.
- “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6.
- “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6.
- “… and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20
- “But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.” 1 Peter 5:10.
- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13.
- “And the Lord said, ‘Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.’” Luke 22:31-32.
- “Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:14-16.
- “Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.” Psalm 37:5.
- “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?” Jeremiah 32:27.
- “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:26-27.
- “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22.
- “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with its swelling.” Psalm 46:1-3.
- “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.” Ephesians 6:10.
- “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:2.
God’s Word gives courage
The Word of God is like balm to a heart that is struggling in a trial. To read the Word of God and believe that these promises are for you, that God has a personal love for you, and has a personal interest in seeing it go well for you and in getting you through all the hard times, every situation, gives the greatest comfort known to mankind.
These verses are like a lifesaver to cling to in a stormy sea, keeping you afloat. They are like a lighthouse in the distance, showing you that safety and salvation are near. The grace of God is enough for each of us, so that no storm can break us. We are safe in His hands and we can come through any storm, all our trials, with our faith strengthened, rather than the opposite. As Peter writes:
- “In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 1:6-7.
We can lift our eyes above the situation and the hard times and look upward. Our hope is eternal.
- “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:17-18.
You may be interested in reading more on our topic page about challenges and difficulties, or in the selected articles below:
What most people get wrong about tribulations
Romans 8:28 – The incredible reality of this well-known verse
30 Bible verses about hope for young Christians
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.