“When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’” (Luke 10:5).
“Please keep our home safe while we’re away,” I often pray. Prayer for protection is a good way to replace worry for trust in all circumstances. However, Luke 10:5 challenged me to pray in a new way for my home and the homes of others.
“Peace to this house,” according to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, is a basic Jewish greeting. Greetings were important in ancient culture, and this one, translated, ‘shalom,’ meant “May God cause all to be well with you.” It was a blessing, an implicit prayer to God. (NIV CBSB) How often do I pray the same prayer for my own house as I enter the door multiple times a day?
Matthew Henry’s Commentary reminds that “Christ’s church was at first very much a church in the house.” The disciples were persecuted and pushed into homes for the freedom to preach. (MHC)
Dictionary.com defines a house, not only as a home for human beings, but in regard to family, ancestors, and descendants. Applied to Luke’s recording, when the disciples entered a home, they prayed a blessing not only on the structure, but moreover the people that would pass through, live, and move out from it to touch other’s lives in proximity and throughout generations.
The first utterance of ‘house’ in verse 5 is the Greek Word, okia (Strong’s 3614). It’s defined as a dwelling, the people that live there, and the stuff inside of it. The second mention of the word house, however, is a slightly different word: oikos. It’s defined in elaborate detail (Strong’s 3624) beyond just an inhabited house. “Any building whatever, any dwelling place, inmates of the house, all the persons forming one family, a household.” It also defined the family and descendants, but this part of the definition struck me: “the family of God, of the Christian Church, of the church of the Old and New Testaments.”
When the disciples walked into a home with the Gospel, the people there, and throughout the generations, were forever redefined. Do we realize, that when we walk through the door as believers, we carry the same opportunity for change? We are the church. Let’s pray, today, with a fresh view of blessing on our houses.
Blessings Over Our Home Prayer
We praise You for this fresh revelation today concerning our homes and the blessing we wish to bestow over them with this prayer. You are faithful to reveal so much more than we even knew we needed to pray for! And as the context of Your Love continues to unravel before our eyes, we pray that our hearts are open to receiving Your grace and truth.
We praise You for providing our dwelling place: a house, rented or owned, an apartment, condo, shelter, dorm room, bench, cover under a bridge. Wherever we lie to rest our heads, we thank You. Thank You for rest, restoration, and breath in our lungs. Bless and heal all those who seek refuge in hospitals, medical centers, hospice, and nursing homes. To breathe every day takes on a new meaning when we’re brought to our knees with illness, accident, and age.
Forgive us for complaining about our circumstances, whether it be from our homes or in our ailments. We are still placed purposefully. Help us to live out every breath with the intention of opening the door to Gospel change, no matter what our door looks like or which ones we walk through each day.
As the disciples did fresh off their experience with Jesus, let us be willing to take risks for our faith for Christ to use our lives to widen the Kingdom family. Scripture reminds us that our names are written in heaven – our forever home.
Bless this house! May it be every day changed by Your love, Jesus. Keep our homes safe. Protect our dwellings from fire, flood, wind, invasion, and theft. Let our houses be safe places to restore what has been lost and welcome mats for those who need Your love. We ask for a legacy of love that drifts down into the furthest generations of our family and the family of all that walk through our door.
In Jesus’ Name,
Meg writes about everyday life within the love of Christ on her blog, She is a stay-at-home mom, freelance writer, blogger, and preparing to release her first book, “Friends with Everyone.” She resides in Northern Ohio with her husband of eleven years, two daughters, and their Golden-doodle.
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for HealingPrayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night Prayers
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to start your day with prayer; read today’s prayer and sign up to receive it by email.
Photo Credit: Unsplash/Christopher Harris
When you move into a new home, it is a big moment in your family’s life. It is only natural that you would like to have God’s blessing on your new home. The following house blessing prayers can help you ask for God’s love, wisdom and compassion in your new home.
The following house blessing prayers are perfect for blessing your home. If you have a friend or loved one who just moved into a new house, you can also use some of these prayers in your messages or house warming cards. These prayers help you ask for the Holy Spirit to bless everyone in the home and to be present in your life.
1. May the Lord bless this house and everyone within it. May God make this house into a home. May he fill it with love and a generous welcome to all who visit. May family and friends find peace and contentment within this home. May our home always overflow with hospitality, warmth and peace. May all who seek nourishment, be nourished. May this be a place where all can go for their happiness, growth and refreshment. We pray that the Lord bless this house and protect all who dwell within it. Amen.
2. May our home always be filled with God’s love. May this home be a place of peace during the night and day. May it be a haven of safety for all of our friends and family. May the Holy Spirit come down upon this house and may all who dwell in it feel God’s presence. Amen.
3. May the Lord bless you and keep you. May he shine his face upon you and always be gracious toward you. May the Lord life up his countenance to you and give you everlasting peace. May we walk in God’s steps in all ways and in all things. Amen.
4. O Holy Father, we welcome your spirit into this place. We pray that you will inhabit every room within this home and grace us with your amazing presence. May everyone who enter this house feel your abundant joy and everlasting peace. May everyone who lives here know and experience the completeness of your eternal love. We ask this in the name of Jesus, our protector and our savior. Amen.
5. Almighty Father, we humbly ask that you bless and sanctify this home. Bless all who dwell here and all who come here for refuge. Fill it with an abundance of good things and heavenly blessings. Provide each person with all that they need to get the substance that they need in life. Direct the desires of everyone in this house toward the fr4uits of your mercy. Through Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.
6. Thank you, Father, for giving us a new house to share. Help us to grow in your love. May your divine presence fill this home and touch the spirits of all who dwell here. In your mercy, protect us from sin and all harm. Allow us to follow you with each day of our lives. Amen.
7. O Lord, we ask you to bless and sanctify our home. As you blessed the homes of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, come and bless our home. May your angels and light fill this dwelling. May we feel your presence in everything that we do. We ask that you protect our home and everyone who dwells within it. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
8. May God bless your new home and all who dwell within it. May he transform your new house into a loving home that is filled with the warmth of his spirit. May the Lord protect you from all harm and evil as he guides you in all things. We thank God for his wonderful blessings in bringing you this new home and pray that he keeps you in the palm of his hand. Amen.
9. We offer you, Lord, this prayer of thanksgiving. You have blessed our efforts to save and guided our family toward a better future. Now, we have a house that we can share as our family grows. Thank you for helping us get this house and for protecting our family. We pray that you transform our house into a home. Protect all who dwell in it and fill it with your abundant blessings. We offer you this prayer of thanksgiving and ask for your continued blessings. Amen.
10. Heavenly Father, thank you for your love and compassion. As we start this new chapter in our life, please bless our family. Fill our home with the abundance of your blessings. Guide us with your presence so that we may always walk in your path. Help our home to be an example of your love and compassion. May all who dwell in this home grow in their Christian faith and follow you in all ways. Amen.
11. May God bless this home and protect all who dwell here. We ask that the Holy Spirit descend upon our home and fill it with your blessings. May all who seek comfort find refuge within our home. May each person who arrives find nourishment, company and comfort. May all who live within this home or visit it feel the strength of your blessings. We ask that you bless us and help us to grow in your love. Allow us to love and serve you more with every passing day. Amen.
12. Almighty God, I ask for you to bless this house. Thank you for blessing us with this house. We ask that you transform this house into a home. Help us to grow in your love and wisdom with each passing day. Protect all who come to this house for refuge and guard us from the evil one. We pray that the Holy Spirit descends upon our home and fill it with divine guidance. May we reject evil in your name and always grow in your wisdom. May our house be an example of your love on earth and inspire others to follow in Christ’s example. In Jesus’s name, we pray. Amen.
O heavenly Father, Almighty God, we humbly beseech Thee to bless and sanctify this house and all who dwell therein and everything else in it, and do Thou vouchsafe to fill it with all
things; grant to them, O Lord, the abundance of heavenly blessings and from the richness of the earth every
necessary for life, and finally direct their desires to the fruits of Thy mercy. At our entrance, therefore, deign to bless and sanctify this house as Thou didst deign to bless the house of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob; and may the
of Thy light, dwelling within the walk of this house, protect it and those who dwell therein. Through
our Lord. Amen.
Translated by Most Reverend J. H. Schlarman Bishop of Peoria
More Prayers as Blessings Prayers
Bless This House Perry Como Buy This Song Become A Better Singer In Only 30 Days, With Easy Video Lessons!
Bless this house, O Lord we pray, Make it safe by night and day . . . Bless these walls so firm and stout, Keeping want and trouble out . . . Bless the roof and chimneys tall, Let thy peace lie overall . . . Bless this door that it may prove, Ever open, To joy and love . . . Bless these windows shining bright, Letting in God's Heavenly light, Bless the hearth, ablazing there, With smoke ascending like a prayer! Bless the people here within, Keep them pure and free from sin . . . Bless us all that we may be, Fit O Lord to dwell with thee . . . Bless us all that one day we may dwell, O Lord! With Thee! Words and Music by Helen Taylor And May H. Morgan ( a.k.a. Brahe ), 1927
The easy, fast & fun way to learn how to sing: 30DaySinger.com
Sheet Music Playlist
Written by: MAY H BRAHE, HELEN TAYLOR
Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, CONCORD MUSIC PUBLISHING LLC
Lyrics Licensed & Provided by LyricFind
Discuss the Bless This House Lyrics with the community:
Use the citation below to add these lyrics to your bibliography:
Know any other songs by Perry Como? Don’t keep it to yourself!
Watch the song video
Bless This House