World Communion Sunday
With thanks to page sponsor 2015:
Senior Pastor of First Chinese Church UCC in Honolulu, HI
Image:”The Best Supper” © Jan Richardson
- “What The World Eats,” Time Magazine. From the book, “Hungry Planet.” (Please check copyright before using.)
- World Communion Sunday Ideas and Liturgy, Jordan Rimmer, 2015.
- World Communion Sunday: 19 Pentecost, Eric Smith, LECTIO, 2015.
- Poem for World Wide Communion 2015, Andrew King, A Poetic Kind of Place, 2015.
- “The Solace of Other Tables,” Jan Richardson, The Painted Prayerbook, 2014. Use of images.
- Worship Resources, Rev-o-lution, 2014.
- Lectionary Liturgies, Ordinary 27 / World Communion, Thom M. Shuman, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), 2014.
- Prayers for 17th Sunday after Pentecost (World Commmunion Sunday), Michael Anthony Howard, The Pacific Pilgrim, 2014.
- World Communion Call to Worship, Rick Neale, 2013.
- Worshiping with Children, (World Communion Sunday) Including children in the congregation’s worship, using the Revised Common Lectionary, Carolyn C. Brown, 2014. 2011.
- “Accept One Another,” World Communion Sunday, Daniel B. Clendenin, The Journey with Jesus: Notes to Myself, Journey with Jesus Foundation, 2013.
- Worshiping with Children, Proper 22, World Communion Sunday, Including children in the congregation’s worship, using the Revised Common Lectionary, Carolyn C. Brown, 2013.
- “Different But The Same,” On the Chancel Steps, children’s resources by Frances Woodruff, 2013.
- Evangelectionary, October 6, 2013, Peter Bush, Evangelism Connections, 2013.
- World Communion Sunday Resources, Amy Loving, The Worship Closet, 2012.
- “And the Table Will Be Wide,” Blessing for World Communion Sunday, Jan Richardson, The Painted Prayerbook, 2012.
- Worship Resources, World Communion Sunday, Rev. Mindi, Rev-o-lution, 2012.
- “Why World Communion Sunday Is a Bad Idea,” Debra Dean Murphy, Ekklesia Project, 2012.
- Weekly Worship Piece: World Communion, Spacious Faith, 2012.
- Scripture Lesssons, World Communion Sunday, Bob Flaherty, Newberg, OR, 2012.
- “Ecumenical Generosity for World Communion Sunday,” Dan Clendenin, The Journey with Jesus, 2012. World Communion Sunday 2006.
- Worshiping with Children, Proper 22B, Including children in the congregation’s worship, using the Revised Common Lectionary, Carolyn C. Brown, 2012. Communion Is More than Eating and Drinking.
- “Children’s Literature: A Resource for Ministry,” October 7, 2012, Union Presbyterian Seminary. Connections: World Communion and Loaves of Fun by Elizabeth M. Harbison.
- “Generous with God’s Love,” Frances Woodruff, On the Chancel Steps, 2012.
- “World Communion Sunday,” Dianne Deming, Childrens Sermons Today, 2012.
- World Communion Sunday, United Methodist Church GBOD.
- Tuesday Lectionary Leanings, RevGalBlogPals lectionary discussion, 2011. Worldwide Communion Sunday.
- “World Communion, Unity, and Bodily Health,” Debra Dean Murphy, Intersections, 2011.
- “Why I Take Communion,” the Patheos Team, Patheos, 2010.
- “World Communion and French Fries,” Debra Dean Murphy, Intersections, 2010.
- World Communion Sunday Ideas, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ.
- World Communion Sunday, Reformed Church in America.
- World Communion Sunday Liturgy, Teresa Stricklen, Presbyterian Church, USA, 2010.
- “Children’s Literature: A Resource for Ministry,” Connections: The Greatest Table by Michael Rosen and World Communion Sunday, Michael Rosen’s Sad Book by Michael Rosen and Lamentations 1:1-6, Who Will I Be, Lord? by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson and 2 Timothy 1:1-14, The Garden of Happiness by Erika Tamar and Luke 17:5-10; Union Presbyterian Seminary, 2010.
- Worshiping with Children, Ordinary 27C (World Communion Sunday), Including children in the congregation’s worship, using the Revised Common Lectionary, Carolyn C. Brown, 2010.
- “Come, for the Meal Is Ready,” World Communion Liturgy, United Church of Christ.
- World Communion Sunday, 2010. Resources from the Mennonite Church in Canada.
- Images for World Communion Sunday, please be sure to check about copyright restrictions at destination site.
- “Swords into Plowshares,” reflections from the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, 2010.
- Litany for Presentation of the Breads (from many cultures), Katherine Hawker, “Outside the Box.”
- A Podcast Sermon for World Communion Sunday 2006: All Are Welcome at God’s Table, The Rev. Chuck Currie.
- “The Communion of Saints: Resources from the Worldwide Church,” Anne. E. Zaki, Reformed Worship.
- “‘Tell Them To Stop!’ World Communion Sunday,” The Journey with Jesus: Notes to Myself, Daniel B. Clendenin, Journey with Jesus Foundation, 2006.
- “‘Come, All You People,’ A Service for World Communion Sunday,” Mary Winters, Reformed Worship, 2004.
- Worldwide Communion Sunday – page of history & resources from Richard & Charlene Fairchild’s Kir-Shalom resource pages.
- “A Local Display of World Communion,” Robert W. Wall, The Christian Century, 1988.
- World Communion Sunday, wikipedia.
- World Communion Sunday 2009 Contributed by Mark Aarssen on Dec 3, 2009
Friends we are to examine ourselves before we partake of communion we are called to search our lives and our hearts for any hidden sin. We are to sweep our hearts clean before God.
World Communion Sunday 2009
1 Corinthians 11:17-34
Today we join Christians from every country around the world in Celebrating World Communion Sunday. Just think of it all around our globe Christians of every tongue, tribe, and on every continent are doing what we are doing this morning. …read more
- Worldwide Communion Sunday Contributed by Byron Perrine on Oct 1, 2016
Worldwide communion Sunday is a celebration of our shared heritage and the universal hope which beckons the church forward toward universal fellowship in the everlasting homeland to which we are being called. Do not fear to move forward!
Title: “If What is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious”
Text: 2 Corinthians 3:2-11, 17-18
From far and wide, on this day of World Communion, the descendants of the spiritual founders of the Christian Church, have gathered again this year to remember, …read more
- Smell The Grace Contributed by John Beehler on Dec 29, 2003
World Communion Sunday sermon
Smell the Grace
Special occasions are often connected with food—Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, anniversaries, birthdays, etc. I remember often those days whenever we have a special occasion at our house. No matter where I’m at in the house I can smell the turkey or ham baking, …read more
- Jesus Our Perfect Sacrifice Contributed by Ralph Juthman on Nov 3, 2004
This is a sermon preached on communion sunday.
TEXT: Jesus Our perfect Sacrifice and High Priest
Text: Leviticus 1:1-8; 8-9, 21
P.S. The sacrificial system, was given to point man to the way to God is through Blood of a perfect substitute. This substitute is Jesus.
There are all kinds of warnings in …read more
- “I Don’t Want To Feed ’em; You Feed ’em” Contributed by Kenneth Sauer on Oct 4, 2007
A sermon for World Communion Sunday.
“I Don’t Want to Feed ‘em; You Feed ‘em”
By: Rev. Ken Sauer, Pastor, Grace United Methodist Church, Soddy Daisy, TN
According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, “Anthony Wayne sat in front of his makeshift tent Monday, his few belongings packed in two suitcases and three or …read more
- Why Communion Matters Contributed by Bruce Lee on Sep 27, 2017
World Communion Sunday Sermon.
Why Communion Matters
That evening quail came and covered the camp, and in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp. 14 When the dew was gone, thin flakes like frost on the ground appeared on the desert floor. 15 When the Israelites saw it, they said to each other, “What is it?” For …read more
- Body Vs. Machine Contributed by Charles Wilkerson on Nov 10, 2009
Sermon for World Communion Sunday 2007
In his book Ghost Soldiers, Hampton Sides tells of a dramatic mission during World War II. On January 28, 1945, hand-selected Army Rangers and Filipino resistance slipped 30 miles behind enemy lines to rescue 513 American and British POW’s who had spent three years in a hellish prison camp near the …read more
- Reclaiming The Gift Contributed by Sheila Crowe on Sep 27, 2005
World Communion Sunday – unity in communion
(Adapted from What We’re Doing, and Why,” Preaching Today, Tape No. 102.] There was a small-town church in upstate New York. They couldn’t afford a full time pastor and so their pastor was bivocational. He worked a real job – as if being a minister isn’t a real job or real …read more
- World Communion Sunday: Defining Our Community Contributed by Troy Borst on Sep 28, 2016
All over the world, Christians of various flavors and traditions are focusing on the Lord’s Supper as a central distinctive of our faith. I like that! We are going to focus on Communion today as well! Let’s read from Luke 22 and discover how Jesus inst
Defining Our Community
INTRODUCTION… COMMUNITY DISTINCTIVES (p)
Every group we are a part of has rules, traditions, meanings behind phrases, and reasons for doing what they do when they gather together. These traditions or words make the group unique and …read more
- The Power Of His Blood Contributed by Terry Barnhill on Oct 10, 2014
A sermon for a “Patriot Sunday” together with a “Communion Sunday”. Without the courage to sacrifice, there can be no life.
Last Monday was a day of remembering. The only problem is that too many people have forgotten. Amid the tweets & twitters, the video games, and shopping for school, too many Americans forget that, without the sacrifices of our military, we might not even have a school or church to go to.
So, …read more
- Walls Instead Of Bridges Contributed by Gaither Bailey on Oct 4, 2018
Sermon for World Communion Sunday 2018 about people building walls between each other and God.
Walls Instead of Bridges
Mark 10: 2 – 16
Intro: Mary Jane Kerr Cornell writes the following in the “Feasting On The Gospels” commentary: “As a preacher’s child I became familiar with the marriage vows at an early age. My father performed the ceremony without notes, so prior to a wedding he …read more
- Fast Food Of Feasting? Series Contributed by Charles Wilkerson on Oct 7, 2009
I am the Bread of Heaven… Christ satisfies, sustains and saves those who eat His flesh.. World Communion Sunday
Can you guess what Denver, Orlando, Palm Beach, Cleveland, and Las Vegas have in common? They all have passed ordinances to stop groups from feeding the hungry in public.1 You can have 24 hour gambling but you better not hand out sandwiches in a park in Las Vegas. You can party like mad on the …read more