Updated on October 5, 2017
What to Write for a Surgery Get Well Card
Surgery can be a scary experience no matter how serious the operation is. Going under the knife, laser, or liquid nitrogen means tissue damage. This also means the person will need recovery time. During that recovery time, a get well card is a nice gesture.
The good thing about a surgery get well card is that you have the opportunity to send some real encouragement when your friend or relative needs it. Surgery and recovery are never easy, so using a little humor or upbeat message is a great way to help the person keep a positive attitude.
What to Say to Someone Who Is About to Have Surgery
- I hope the surgery is fully effective and quickly leads to no pain.
- Thank goodness for modern medicine! I hope you recover from your modern procedure quickly.
- If you need anything to help you recover quickly, let me know and I’ll bring it to you.
- No surgery should be considered “minor.” Anything with the word surgery involved should be considered major.
- I’m hoping you will not have to feel much pain as you recover fully from your surgery.
Post-Surgery Get Well Wishes
These are supportive and sincere messages for a surgery get well card.
- It can take time to get over being under the knife. I hope it doesn’t take too long for you!
- “Cut it out” and “Get well soon!”
- Now that you have to recover, I’ll be spending some of your time bothering you.
- Surgeons are a way to get worse before you get better. I hope you get better fast!
- I’m hoping your quality of life improves quickly after this surgery! That will mean much more than just getting well.
- The human body is amazing in its ability to heal. I hope your healing after surgery is quick.
Funny Get Well Messages for Surgery
These are examples of funny things to write in a get well card for someone having surgery. Getting someone to laugh may be a great way to help him or her start feeling better. Remember to use tact and avoid insensitive or offensive jokes.
- I would have written you something funny in your get well card, but I don’t want you to laugh and rip out your stitches.
- Now that you’ve had surgery, I’m expecting you to be different. I hope you will be different in a good way.
- You know what’s wrong with the world these days? It seems like most people would rather have surgery than go around complaining. Now there’s nothing to talk about with most people.
- It could be worse, right? I could have been the one to do your surgery. I’m glad you have better hands taking care of you. Get well soon!
- I hope the hospital bills hurt more than the recovery. But hopefully, neither hurt too much.
- “Major pain, major surgery, and now major recovery!”
- If you need something removed from your body, you’ll have to remove some money from your bank account.
- If you were a robot, then you’d be getting a hardware upgrade.
- The great thing about surgery is . . . nothing. Get well soon!
- Next time you need surgery, let me know. I have steady hands and a knife. Don’t worry. Even though I’m not a real doctor, I could play one on TV.
- “Walking it off” is for sissies. Surgery is for the toughest people. You’ve proved that you’re tough.
- Now that your surgery is over, I know you are fixed and in good physical shape. Can you help me move this weekend?
- It seems like everyone is having surgery these days. You must not have been wearing your helmet and knee pads when you jumped on the bandwagon.
- The only thing that hurts worse than recovering from surgery is paying the medical bills.
Funny Music Video about Surgery Surgery Get-Well Sayings Funny Vs. Sincere Surgery Get Well MessagesWhich type of get well message is better for after a surgery. Inspiration for Creating Get Well Messages
Empathy is needed in order to write a great get well message for surgery. Having had surgery in the past may give you insights into the experiences a person goes through in order to recover. Here’s a video of a time-lapse healing after a surgery.
Even if you haven’t had surgery in the past, you’ll notice how everything isn’t perfect immediately after the surgery.
Besides grossing you out, this may inspire you to realize just how long it takes for human tissue to heal fully. Think about the challenges the person may face in the recovery process. Capture and acknowledge those challenges in the get well wishes you write.
Video of the Healing Process
Surgeons are among the busiest people in the hospital. In fact, they need to perform several tasks in just one go. There are instances when they need to run around while there are times when they have to stand in just a single place for long hours.
Considering their demanding job, what they really need are the best shoes for surgeons that will serve their purpose comfortably when they are in the operating room. By wearing the perfect shoes for surgeons, there is no need for them to think about anything else, except the task at hand and their present patient.
If you are a surgeon, then here are some of the best footwear that I’ll highly recommend to you, including a few information about their remarkable features, strengths, and weaknesses.
Top 7 Best Shoes for Surgeons 2018
1. Merrell Men’s Encore Gust – OUR PICK
The Encore Gust Slip-on shoe from Merrell is also one of the best sellers of the brand, which also has most of the features needed by a surgeon for his/her footwear. What I like the most about this footwear is its ability to make my feet feel utmost comfort. I also like the Aegis anti-microbial solution built in it as it controls and prevents odor.
It has a removable EVA footbed, which is a good thing as it also ensures that you can remove it and ensure that your feet stay fresh. In addition, I am glad that Merrell has a shoe, which features the right balance between easy-going comfort and sharp casual style in the form of the Encore Gust.
It has a smooth leather construction for its upper, allowing you to dress it down without causing it to become sloppy. The anatomical footbed built-in also promotes comfortable steps. The fact that it is a slip-on shoe also means that you can easily put it on while making it a perfect fit regardless of what you’re doing.
It has a padded collar and supportive sole unit, too. It is also perfect for use on all-day activities, particularly the tasks that surgeons need to fulfill with the help of its polished structure, air-cushioned heel, and breathable mesh lining.
One possible downside that you’ll find in this shoe is that it is a bit pricey when you compare value, construction quality, and style.
- Offers durable traction and reliable grip on various surfaces – thanks to the built-in M-Select grip outsole
- Comfort provided to your entire feet
- Features an Aegis anti-microbial solution, which controls and prevents odor
- Offers the perfect balance between easy-going comfort and sharp, casual style
- Smooth leather used in the upper
While it is true that this shoe from Merrell is slightly expensive, you will know that you get real value as it most of the features you need from a footwear while keeping you safe and comfortable.
2. Merrell Women’s Encore Nova – RUNNER UP
I would also like to recommend the Merrell Encore Nova Slip-on shoe for those who are searching for the best shoes for surgeons. One remarkable thing I instantly noticed in this Merrell shoe is its well-cushioned insole. It also sports a balanced midsole, which is comfortable enough while also providing an all-day cushioning.
It is a supportive slip-on, which also boasts of its versatile and sleek look. The rich leather upper is also one of its strengths as it also comes paired with a Q-form midsole specific to women, guaranteeing the best fit and the highest level of cushion. The fact that it boasts of a frill-free design also means that you can easily wear it at work.
It sports an air-cushioned heel, too, which, I think, is a big advantage as it makes the shoe more stable while also absorbing shocks. Since it has a highly breathable mesh lining, there is also a guarantee that it can keep my feet dry as it wicks moisture. It has a well-contoured EVA footbed, which can control odor.
Furthermore, the shoe has only around a half inch platform, which is beneficial for surgeons who have to ensure that they will never find it difficult to perform their simultaneous tasks and move around.
Some complained that the shoe is quite tight, though and does not come in the width they initially expected.
- Comes with a well-cushioned insole, offering all-day comfort
- Air-cushioned heel, making the shoe more shock-absorbent and stable
- Sports a highly breathable mesh lining
- Features a versatile and sleek look
- Well-contoured EVA footbed
- Quite tight for some users
Merrell Encore Nova Slip-on Shoe still works perfectly for surgeons as there is a guarantee that it will support them in their movements and in accomplishing their daily responsibilities in the operating room.
3. Birki’s Super-Birki – BUDGET PICK
What I like the most about this recommendation for the best shoes for surgery is that it has a unisex fit and styling, which provides maximum protection to wearers. Birki’s Super -Birki Unisex Clog also takes pride in its ability to offer excellent stability.
I find the washable and replaceable felt-lined polyurethane insole useful as it offers a comfy orthopedic contour to users. It is a slip-on clog constructed from polyurethane material, which also sports a removable and well-contoured cork footbed, making it easy to clean.
I like the heel height, which is only about a half inch, as it ensures that I won’t have a difficult time moving around with it. It is a footwear capable of taking you everywhere – whether it is in the operating room or on the beach, your garden, indoors or outdoors. It also has a comfortable, sporty style.
Another remarkable feature in this shoe is the convenient upper, which is also easy to care for. In addition, it is completely waterproof, so you have a hundred percent assurance that you can safely use it in the water.
It has more than enough room inside, so it is safe to say that it can really provide reliable comfort on your feet, especially when used for a long period.
One of its weaknesses, though, is that its cork insole is a bit flimsy but you can always get a high-quality insole to replace it. It also runs a bit bigger than its actual size.
- Features a unisex fit and styling
- Offers the highest level of protection to wearers
- Offers a comfortable and contoured cork footbed
- Versatile, allowing you to wear it not only in the operating room but also indoors or outdoors
- Completely waterproof
- Easy to clean
- Quite flimsy cork insole
- Bigger than the actual size
While there are minor issues in Birki’s Super-Birki Unisex Clog, it is still one of the most reliable shoes appropriate for surgeons and other professionals in the medical field.
4. Merrell Jungle – ALSO GREAT
As a surgeon, you may need to work for long hours with a patient. In that case, you need a supportive and comfortable shoe, which can serve as your best buddy in the operating room. One shoe, which will definitely fit surgeons like you is the Merrell Jungle Moc Slip-on shoe.
I find it amazing as it is the ultimate low-maintenance option out of the many footwear out there. It sports a smooth suede upper, preventing any form of discomfort once you are wearing it. I also find the air cushion underfoot built into the shoe amazing as it provides it with additional support.
There is a highly breathable mesh lining integrated into the shoe as well as a molded nylon shank. The fact that it is air-cushioned is also a strong advantage as it improves the footwear’s stability while also boosting its effectiveness in absorbing the impact of shocks.
It comes with a few safety features, too. One is the non-slip sole, so I am sure that it will hold up well on various surfaces, particularly wet and slippery ones. It is actually a Moc-inspired slip-on, which also features an elastic side goring, promoting a more customized fit.
The leather upper is also made in such a way that it can resist water and stains.
It’s important to break in the shoe, though, for quite some time before you’ll feel comfortable wearing it. It’s also a bit lacking in the toe box.
- Low-maintenance and lightweight
- Uses a smooth suede upper, ensuring you of utmost comfort
- Air-cushioned, making the shoe supportive
- Shock-absorbent and highly stable
- Non-slip, making it suitable for various surfaces, even wet and slippery ones
- Needs a long break-in period
- A bit lacking in the toe box
Overall, Merrell Jungle Moc Shoe is a convenient casual slip-on, which you can use as a surgeon as well as for other purposes, like doing moderate walks or exercising in the gym.
5. Dansko Women’s Professional – UPGRADE PICK
In my opinion, Dansko Professional Mule is one of the best shoes for surgeons, as well as for other healthcare professionals and workers who work in industrious workplaces. One feature I find to be worthy to take note of is the slip-resistant rubber outsole. It offers the kind of stability you need for various lifestyle and occupational situations.
The shoe is well-designed and innovative. It is guaranteed to provide your legs and feet with the highest level of comfort the entire day. Constructed mainly from leather, I find this shoe to be highly durable. It also comes with a synthetic sole as well as a heel, which is around 1.75 inch.
It is a clog built with the comfort of users in mind. That said, I noticed that it has a roomy and well-reinforced toe box, making it really convenient to wear while providing maximum protection. It also has an outsole constructed from polyurethane material. With the rocker bottom integrated into the clog, I know that it can absorb shocks well, too.
In addition, the shoe sports of a wide heel strike, providing it with excellent stability. Comfort for long hours can also be expected from its well-padded instep collar.
One downside of this shoe is that it takes a bit more time than necessary to break it in.
- Ideal for healthcare professionals, particularly surgeons
- Features a slip-resistant outsole, keeping users safe regardless of the work condition
- Made of highly durable leather
- Sports a roomy and reinforced toe box
- Shock-absorbent and highly stable – thanks to its rocker bottom and wide heel strike
- Ideal to use for long hours as it has proper cushion and a padded instep
- Break-in period is quite long
What is good about Dansko Professional Mule is that once you finished breaking it in, you’ll find all its features remarkable, so it’s safe to say that it’s indeed worth the money you spent for it.
Sale Dansko Women’s Professional Leather Chocolate Leather 39 Regular EU
- The Dansko Professional clog is a flagship classic for all-day comfort, support, and unmistakable style.
- Your heel should lift up and down with every step, so if you are a half size, you may be more comfortable sizing up (for…
- High quality leather upper follows the natural contours of the foot.
6. KEEN Women’s Kaci
KEEN Kaci full-grain slip-on shoe is another footwear that I will surely suggest to anyone who is in search of a shoe for surgeons. I particularly like the appealing laser-cut floral pattern used across its strap. I also find the recycled foam footbed valuable because it offers support and comfort for the entire day, a big plus for surgeons.
The heel of the shoe measures around 1.25 inch. It has a full-grain leather construction. I also like the outsole made of non-marking rubber. The fact that the shoe comes built-in with the Cleansport NXT exclusive to the brand also ensures that there is a natural way for it to control odor.
It is known for its breathability, too, considering the fact that it sports a mesh lining. I am also happy that this shoe features a slip-on design, as it means that I will never have a hard time putting it on and off. I also don’t need to worry about how it can handle an environment filled with moisture and water as it comes with a water-resistant leather upper.
Another nice feature is the elastic core panel, as well as the removable metatomical PU footbed. I also like the fact that its toe area is roomy.
However, take note that it is quite tight for those who have wide feet and high arches.
- Sports an attractive laser-cut floral pattern
- Supportive and comfortable, thanks to its recycled foam footbed
- Features a sturdy full-grain leather construction
- Proper odor control – thanks to the built-in Cleansport NXT
- Easy to wear as it sports a slip-on design
- Does not fit that well for those with wide feet and high arches
Still, it is undeniable that the KEEN Kaci Full-Grain Slip-on Shoe is guaranteed to have among the best and most remarkable features for a surgeon shoe.
7. Merrell Encore Slide
If what you need in the operating room is a shoe with an anti-slip feature, then the Encore Slid Pro Grip Nubuck Work Shoe from Merrell is an excellent pick for you. I’d like to emphasize that there are instances when the operating room and the entire hospital, in general, can get too slippery.
With that in mind, I am happy to say that this work shoe for surgeons from Merrell features an anti-slip sole, making the wearer feel confident about his safety. I also like the EVA footbed of the shoe as it is comfortable. It is even better because you can remove it. The shoe comes with a comfortable cushion, too, which works in cradling your feet.
With its proper cushion, it is effective in reducing the impact that shock might cause to your feet. It has an air cushion in the heel, too, which is a big advantage in further increasing the shoe’s ability to offer comfort.
It has a Nubuck leather construction, as well as a Nubuck upper. In addition, it is ideal for daily use, particularly for surgeons who need to do a lot of things at once. The shoe also takes pride in its ability to offer excellent support, so it is possible for it to help you walk and move the entire day without experiencing too much fatigue.
The problem with this Merrell shoe is that it tends to get stains pretty fast. It is also quite small than its actual, stated size.
- Constructed from durable and comfortable materials
- Breathable – thanks to the built-in breathable mesh lining
- Offers excellent support, letting you walk and move around without fatigue
- Well-cushioned, which can also reduce the impact of shock
- Ideal for use on slippery surfaces – thanks to its anti-slip sole
- Sizing issues
- Acquires stains fast
Despite the mentioned issues, I can still assure you that Merrell Encore Slide Pro Grip Nubuck Slip-Resistant Work Shoe will work based on your needs as a surgeon.
How to Choose the Best Operating Room Shoes (OR)?
Do you want to ensure that you’ll invest your money in the shoe perfect for surgeons? Then the following factors should form a huge part in your decision-making process:
Do you want to ensure that you’ll invest your money in the shoe perfect for surgeons? Then the following factors should form a huge part in your decision-making process:
Comfort – As a surgeon, your job always involves staying in an operation room, monitoring, treating, and doing certain surgical procedures for your patients. In most cases, such job requires you to stand for hours.
That said, you need a comfortable companion that will stand by you and ensure that your feet will never give up with the pain and discomfort brought on by prolonged standing. Choose a shoe, which is comfortable enough, so as to avoid hampering your performance while doing an operation.
One way to make sure that you are getting a comfortable shoe is to check whether or not it fits you perfectly. Pick the correct shoe size, one that is not too tight nor too loose on your feet.
Durability – Look for a sturdy and durable footwear for surgeons, as well. You know that it is highly durable if it is capable of withstanding wear and tear. It should be constructed from high-quality and long-lasting materials that can withstand the test of time. That way, you’ll never have to spend too much on replacing the shoe too frequently.
Support – The footwear should be able to offer optimal support for your entire feet, too. It should never cause you to suffer from any form of pain and discomfort when you wear it for prolonged periods.
Find a surgical shoe mainly designed to offer maximum feet support. It should be supportive enough that you’ll never have a hard time dealing with your tasks in the operating room for long hours.
Ventilation – Your shoe should also be breathable enough and should have proper ventilation. It should be made of materials that let your feet breathe with ease. Aside from providing utmost comfort, maximum ventilation can also help you easily clean the shoe in the washing machine when you need to clean it up.
It can also keep your feet dry inside and regulate odor.
Arch support – You also know that you’re getting the ideal shoes for surgeons if it has excellent arch support. With a supportive arch, guaranteed to support your feet’s unique shape and arch, you know that you can complete all your activities with energy and full protection.
Easy to put on and remove – As a surgeon who needs to work for a prolonged period, there are instances when you need to stretch the muscles in your legs. You’ll have a hard time doing so if your shoes are difficult to put on and take off.
That said, find a shoe with a design that will ensure that it will never take a lot of time and effort to wear and remove it. Note that in some cases, you can find surgeons, nurses, and doctors standing barefoot while doing their job in the operating room. The same goes for you, too, so your shoe should be easy to use.
Protection – Find a shoe with the best safety features, too. For instance, it should be non-slip that you can use it even on the most slippery floors and surfaces. It should be able to support you safely whether you use it in dry or wet conditions.
As a surgeon, your job is not that easy as you need to run and move around, stand for a long period or be in a rush during a patient’s critical moments. Considering your challenging job, it’s important to prioritize your comfort by ensuring that you invest in and wear the best shoes for surgeons with the details provided by this article.
The 7 Best Shoes For Surgeons – What Should Surgeons Wear At Work?